Emmeline "The Hornet" portable headphone amp.
Mar 24, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #781 of 802
Mar 24, 2006 at 5:49 PM Post #782 of 802
Thanks for the quick response. The reason I asked is because I ordered something from him on Monday, paid via Paypal.

I've not had any email confirmation since I made the payment. I've sent him an email asking if payment went through OK, he's not responded yet.

Mar 24, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #785 of 802
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman
He's good for it. Trust me. Probably got real busy.

I not really worry about him ripping me off, it was more to do with me using Paypal for payment. I've never used it before and I'm more worry about the payment going somewhere it shouldn't than Ray not send me the stuff...

Quote:

Originally Posted by saronian
When I ordered from Ray I did not receive email confirmation of the PayPal payment or the shipping. Back in November it took about a week to ship and 5 days to receive.

Thanks for that
etysmile.gif

Mar 24, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #786 of 802
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleEs
I not really worry about him ripping me off, it was more to do with me using Paypal for payment. I've never used it before and I'm more worry about the payment going somewhere it shouldn't than Ray not send me the stuff...

Thanks for that
etysmile.gif

Monday's orders left on Tuesday. If your first name happened to be, Herbert or Tom or Edward, your amp should be there today.
Cheers.
Ray Samuels

Mar 24, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #787 of 802
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels
Monday's orders left on Tuesday. If your first name happened to be, Herbert or Tom or Edward, your amp should be there today.
Cheers.
Ray Samuels

My name is Herbert Tom Edwards, I guess I have 3 Hornets on the way.
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 12:24 AM Post #788 of 802
Well, I ordered my Hornet on Friday, just before the Chicago meet. Ray kindly said he would make sure it went that day as he wouldn't have time on Saturday.

I asked him to send it on my company's UPS account and had it on my desk by 10.30am Tuesday morning.

My desk is in London, England...

Quality service, Ray!

May 1, 2006 at 12:05 PM Post #789 of 802
Quote:

The Hornet's reproduction of sound is a little different than that of the SR-71, it was not meant to compete with it's bigger brother but to give a more focused sound stage, with vocals in a more forward position than that of the SR-71. It is not a "compressed" soundstage that some are calling it, it is in a way, like which you prefer, the Sennheiser, laid back reproduction of sound where the vocal is closer to the back ground music, or the Grado's sound signature where the vocal is a little up front from the background music. Giving the SR-71 the presentation of the sound that the Sennheiser produces, I though it would be nice to have the Hornet do the other sound, that of the Grado's.
I found many who are very happy with the way the Hornet sounds. But there few who are not, trying to keep as many happy if I can, I came to this decision, those who are happy with sound quality of their Hornet & don't want to change it, this post would be just information to know of. But those who do not want that upfront representation that some are giving it a name of " AGRASSIVE" you can send the Hornet back to me to be moded to give a more laidback type of sound.
Now this all proves to me that I should not try to give, but the same type of sound that my amps are known for, therefore I am getting in touch with the four reviewers to return the Hornets back to me for an update. This will give the Hornet a complete different sound representation from a very focust sound stage & speed to an open type of soundstage with a warmer over all sound reproduction.
All the Hornets that will ship from today, 12/8/05, & on, will have the new mod implemented in them.
You are welcomed to send yours back to me for the mod at no extra charge parts & labor, but if you are happy with what you have then you don't have to do that. Also I will honor this mod for any period of time when you decided to have it done to your Hornet & will apply to the second owner & beyound.

Ray, did you implement this modification on the current Hornets? I have an SR-71 and am looking forward to getting similar sound from a smaller package with recharge capabilities.

Thanks.

May 1, 2006 at 1:01 PM Post #790 of 802
The idea was scrapped:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...8&postcount=56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels
Due to the amount of the calls that I am getting & the pms, I guess I rushed very fast in my decision of changing the Hornet's sound signature, it is true, no matter what you come with there always will be some one who do not click with your product which is a fact that I should have taken into consideration, which I have done in the past. I have in the past dictated the sound of my products & had many positive & negative comments made regarding them which I took them gladly, this time I have made a mistake which I truly admit & apologize to all headfiers. When I got in touch with one of the respected reviewer regarding the change of the Hornet's signature sound, he asked me why? I believe the little remarks made by few regarding the Hornet sound stage over & over in many threads, I took them very personal which I admit to that, I should have believed that what I wanted the Hornet to do, it did it well as it was intended. It was not meant to be SR-71, if some wants that sound, they purchase that amp, as I have no intention to stop making the SR-71 at all. Therefore I want this community, to realize that my hasty decision was not proper, & I over reacted, to which I do apologize.
The Hornet will stay the way it is made, like wise the sound as it was intended, it will be the only sound being known for comparison. I did not realize that what I was hoping to make the very last few happy, turned to be making the majority who trusted me unhappy.
Please do not think that this was a hype I started to promote my Hornet, in fact I had the parts shipped over night so I won't delay the shipping of the Hornets, I have shipped nothing in the last two days as I was getting ready to mod the Hornet. Sorry to those who wanted or showed some interest in the mod, if you have any question, please pm me or call me.
Thanks.
Ray Samuels

Jun 4, 2006 at 6:17 PM Post #791 of 802
Dear head-fi friends...
When the Hornet was developed as a portable amp I had many choices available to me as to what I wanted the sound signature of this little amp to be like. I settled on a sound that was much different than all my other amps. There was a reason for that, those of you who are & have been in the high end audio & owned a respected analog system, do remember the old vinyl recording that sounded so much different than now a day recordings due to the way the recording was made & how many mics were used & how far those mics were from the instruments & singers. That technology of that time made some great listening vinyl available to us today. Those microphones registered on the master tape the depth of the room, front to back, the location of the players, how far the drums were, all that was accomplished using sometimes ONLY 2 microphones for the entire band & the singer. By doing that the finished recordings reflected so truthfully the image that was implemented in that music. You sit & listen to Ella Fitzgerald, close your eyes, man, you feel she is standing right infront of you singing only for you, while you can tell how far the drummer is in the back & where the rest of music is coming from. Very enjoyable recordings. All that was gone when sound engineers started to put more emphasis on dynamice & signal to noise & micing those instruments so very close & adding that revebration & echoe with other processors to limit & compress the signal in order not to saturate the tape, with that came what we have today, the didital recording, the dynamics that our ears can't handle, which all lead to loss of that imaging & sound staging that the old recordings were known for.
This all leads to one thing that I am trying to point at here, the Hornet is capable to bringing that kind of feelings back to your ears as it does with music what I think the vinyl recording did in the past. Yes it puts you closer to singer & the stage where you can hear all instuments playing at their purest before they start bouncing back & forth on the walls & the ceiling.
The detail is incredible, as the sound is reaching you very fast with out the reflected reverbration that comes from the hall where the music is played, if you were sitting in the middle of that hall.
I offered the Hornet with that kind of a sound signature in mind. Hundereds of very happy owners around the world, whom I recieved countless thanks from them regarding the Hornet & what it does to their music.

I do find lately though, any time a question regarding the Hornet is been asked by any head-fier, the same 4-5 pre-owners or one or 2 who never owned one, jump in & picture the Hornet as being conjested, has narrow sound stage, & on & on.
This led me to rethink as to what to do for those who really want a more laid back sound from the Hornet, which I have thought of a time or two before but backed off. I am reconsidering offering an up-grade to the Hornet owners, those who would like to have a more laid back type of sound, If you are happy with what you have, keep it that way. This way there will be a 2 types of sounds signature available for the Hornet, the serial # will have a "M" at the end or below reffering to the sound of the modified or up-graded Hornet.
by doing so I am hoping that I will meet the demand of both groups of listeners & their preferences.
There will be a very small fee for the upgrade which just pays for the shipping, handling & insurance.
Thanks.
Ray Samuels

Jun 6, 2006 at 7:35 AM Post #795 of 802
Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_freak
I got a hornet yesterday. I'm loving everything about it to a great degree...except it seems there's a bass roll off going on. It would be my favorite amp I've ever heard so far if it wasn't for the bass roll off.

Give it about 10000 hours burn-in time, and then the bass will definitely be more pronounced

Users who are viewing this thread

Back