EML 5U4G Mesh Plate VS. NOS Tubes VS. Sophia Princess 274B Mesh Plate WA22
Feb 27, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #121 of 184
I think it's the NU 6F8G I have in the right channel. I did notice it picks up more vibrations than the left-channel tube, which is something that did not happen with my TS 6F8Gs. I'm not using a CD player, but I replayed the song and it didn't happen again... the sound right now is back to normal. I'll swap the tubes later and see if it travels.

I'm thinking it was just the tubes warming up and settling. I'd guess I have a little over 100 hours on my WA22, but IMO components shouldn't take long to burn-in (capacitors and resistors). I mean this was a pretty large change in sound, which only lasted for a short time. I think that suggests a tube issue/change.

Feb 27, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #123 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
New tubes and newly swapped tubes make weired noise is comment. Give them 20 hours to settle. Always clean the pins frist!

Ah, gotcha! I just swapped my left and right 6F8Gs, and it did indeed travel. The sound seems a bit more balanced, in terms of left and right volume. The sensitivity to vibration on the chassis is more-so on the left channel now.

Feb 27, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #124 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAudioDude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, gotcha! I just swapped my left and right 6F8Gs, and it did indeed travel. The sound seems a bit more balanced, in terms of left and right volume. The sensitivity to vibration on the chassis is more-so on the left channel now.

TheAudioDude,
Do you clean your pins like Seamaster? I have yet to do that and was wondering if it made any difference.

Feb 27, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #125 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clayton SF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TheAudioDude,
Do you clean your pins like Seamaster? I have yet to do that and was wondering if it made any difference.

No, I haven't cleaned my pins yet. I may do it later. BTW, I'm almost finished putting on my J$ earpads.
darthsmile.gif

Feb 28, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #126 of 184
Quote:

No, I haven't cleaned my pins yet. I may do it later. BTW, I'm almost finished putting on my J$ earpads.
darthsmile.gif

Yes you should clean your pins, just make sure you wipe off any residue.

ss

Feb 28, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #127 of 184
Quote:

darthsmile.gif

I hope you'll be able to post some pictures. I think that it's really wonderful that you're able to handcraft, instead of purchase, your devices of listening pleasure.

Feb 28, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #128 of 184
Quote:

I hope you'll be able to post some pictures. I think that it's really wonderful that you're able to handcraft, instead of purchase, your devices of listening pleasure.

Thanks! The J$ pads aren't very complicated to put on, but doing it with a partially unusable hand was a bit of a challenge.
tongue_smile.gif
I've always been technically/mechanically inclined so I like to do stuff on my own. I've been thinking about designing my own bookshelf speakers (and one day moving on to tube amps) but I haven't had the motivation yet...

Here's a picture of my amp and headphones. The ear-pads are so freaking thick compared to the stock ones. Sorry about the flash; you can't see the beautiful glow of that 5U4G.
frown.gif

IMG_4184.jpg

Well, time to go see how the ear-pads change the sound of my headphones!

EDIT:

I posted this in the AH-D7000 thread, but some of you may be interested to read it:

WWWOOOWWW the J$ ear-pads are definitely worth the upgrade!

The comfort is actually really amazing, considering how stiff they are. The clamping is incredibly light and you can forget the fact that you have headphones on.

The changes in sound are subtle, but they all come together to make the music so much better. The soundstage is incredible. The sound used to be sort of on top of my head and a little bit on the sides. Now it's projected outward a bit and it's has a three-dimensional quality. It no longer sounds like the music is playing inside my head. In the words of McDonald's, "I'm lovin' it!"

The Eagles - Hotel California, from Hell Freezes Over, sounds so amazing. I had to smile when they began hitting that huge drum in the beginning and the audience cheered a bit.

Bass seems unchanged but a tad refined. Sibilance is very tamed, which is what I've been looking for the entire time I've had these headphones (different tubes help, but I want a more permanent and concrete solution). Drums and guitars are more detailed. I'm going to go enjoy the music now!

Feb 28, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #129 of 184
Wow, thoses J$ ear-pads look like they fit like gloves over your ears (or maybe more like soft leather shoes), anyway they look to be very comfortable. I can certainly see where you will be able to actually tune out the world totally. Although I won't be able to upgrade to those ear-pads I am definitely going to have to listen to The Eagles - Hotel California.
darthsmile.gif

Feb 28, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #130 of 184
Quote:

Wow, thoses J$ ear-pads look like they fit like gloves over your ears (or maybe more like soft leather shoes), anyway they look to be very comfortable. I can certainly see where you will be able to actually tune out the world totally. Although I won't be able to upgrade to those ear-pads I am definitely going to have to listen to The Eagles - Hotel California.
darthsmile.gif

The song is pure bliss. It's one of the songs I play anytime I change a piece of equipment.
darthsmile.gif
Make sure you listen to the live version. I used to get bad sibilance when Don Henley would start singing ("Warm SSSmell of colitaSSS, rising up through the air"). Now it sounds very natural.
icon10.gif

BTW, to get somewhat back on topic... has anyone tried the Sophia Princess with the D7000s? I'd love to be the first, but I really can't justify having two $200+ rectifier tubes.
redface.gif

Feb 28, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #131 of 184
Quote:

The song is pure bliss. It's one of the songs I play anytime I change a piece of equipment.
darthsmile.gif
Make sure you listen to the live version. I used to get bad sibilance when Don Henley would start singing ("Warm SSSmell of colitaSSS, rising up through the air"). Now it sounds very natural.
icon10.gif

BTW, to get somewhat back on topic... has anyone tried the Sophia Princess with the D7000s? I'd love to be the first, but I really can't justify having two $200+ rectifier tubes.
redface.gif

Did you get your Sophia Princess from Jack? Did you ever consider an EML tube? Forgive me if you've already discussed this but I haven't run across it (or I have and my mind has purged it.
tongue.gif
)

To get offtrack again--I was looking for the live version and wanted to make sure I get the right live version--It's "Eagles Live" right? (duh?) Anyway, I've gotten wrong versions before because of multiple releases. Thanks!

I am looking to enjoy my Sunday with music! At least for a little bit. OKAY, a lot.

Feb 28, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #132 of 184
Quote:

Did you get your Sophia Princess from Jack? Did you ever consider an EML tube? Forgive me if you've already discussed this but I haven't run across it (or I have and my mind has purged it.
tongue.gif
)

To get offtrack again--I was looking for the live version and wanted to make sure I get the right live version--It's "Eagles Live" right? (duh?) Anyway, I've gotten wrong versions before because of multiple releases. Thanks!

I am looking to enjoy my Sunday with music! At least for a little bit. OKAY, a lot.

I don't have the Princess, I have the EML 5U4G mesh plate.
regular_smile .gif

It's from the Hell Freezes Over album. I'll PM you a link to DL it.

Feb 28, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #133 of 184
@TheAudioDude, I sent you the EML 5U4G solid plate on last friday. Please do some burn-in to make the call, since the tube is brand new with 0 hours on it. I let you pop the cherry.
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #134 of 184
Quote:

@TheAudioDude, I sent you the EML 5U4G solid plate on last friday. Please do some burn-in to make the call, since the tube is brand new with 0 hours on it. I let you pop the cherry.
biggrin.gif

I feel so honored! I'll be sure to give a very thorough review/impressions and a comparison to the mesh plate.
beerchug.gif
Where did you find the solid plate?

Feb 28, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #135 of 184
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Me next, me, me, me. Where do I get in line to get my EML 5U4G solid plate? j/k. Yes, it'll be interesting because you'll be able to hear the changes from 0 hour! Lucky you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back