EML 5U4G Mesh Plate VS. NOS Tubes VS. Sophia Princess 274B Mesh Plate WA22
Feb 24, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #106 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is very nice to know Modwright already know EML 5U4G. Don't get me worng EML 5U4G are beautifull sounding tube. There are only weak spots are:

3 Too tall to fit on in the rack unless on the top. EML emailed me they are reducing glass size right now. Again I don't care how big they are as long as sound good.

1. Have you and Dan come to any conclusions? I bet if you have its going to be very costly, Dan is very expensive for what he does.

2. I think I have the New EML 5U4G mesh plate. It is about as tall as the old EML, just a little different tube design. The mesh plates seem to be longer.
Note I do not have the old EML 5U4G, I am going off the picture.

I have posted a comparison of the EML 5U4G mesh, Princess and EML 274B Solid plate in Woo owners thread using my WA6SE max.

ss

Feb 24, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #108 of 184
Quote:

Price wise, this mod will not be very expensive. I told Dan up front. Now I have the soild plate on hand, too bad I don't have anything can test it out.

I'll be willing to test it out for a few days.
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #109 of 184
What's "not" expensive? That's so relative, isn't it? :)

Feb 25, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #110 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAudioDude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll be willing to test it out for a few days.
biggrin.gif

The amp, no, too expensive for shipping around. The tube, yes, I could let you try. Just PM me.

Feb 25, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #111 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's "not" expensive? That's so relative, isn't it? :)

Where is your tax return money? Here is a perfect chance to burn it
wink.gif

Feb 25, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #112 of 184
Quote:

Where is your tax return money? Here is a perfect chance to burn it
wink.gif

Already burned on other things.. :)

Feb 26, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #114 of 184
Oh Christ, if I borrow the 5U4G solid plate I promise I'll treat it like a newborn baby covered in gold.
eek.gif

Feb 26, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #115 of 184
Quote:

Oh Christ, if I borrow the 5U4G solid plate I promise I'll treat it like a newborn baby covered in gold.
eek.gif

bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 27, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #116 of 184
Quote:

That's where a part of my tax return went:

Springfield_Armory_XD_Tactical_45_B.jpg

Sorry for the picture is not mine, because I have to go to the shop to pick up.

WOW. Tell me how this METAL TUBE works with your Woo Audio Amp. It looks downright intimidating but at the same time absolutely impressive. Have fun tomorrow at the meet. I am absolutely envious. Seattle all the way. I believe Dan will definitely feel right at home.

Feb 27, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #117 of 184
Handle that metal tube with the same care as you care your own tube. Then everyone's all good.

Feb 27, 2010 at 6:40 AM Post #118 of 184
Something weird happened with my tubes about 30 minutes ago. I turned on my amp and let it warm up for a few minutes, then I put on some Rush. I noticed that the right channel sounded weak, and then I heard a rustling sound. I waited a few seconds and the right channel returned to normal, but then I noticed that the sound of my music had changed.

The bass was the first thing I noticed; it sounded leaner, but still had the same depth. The upper-midrange and treble seemed more upfront. A good thing I noticed was that any hint of sibilance was completely gone. I'm very sensitive to sibilance but what I heard was smooooooth, even though the vocals were very upfront.

I'm still listening and it seems as if the sound is leveling out a bit, to what I'm used to hearing. That is, a bit more punch in the bass and not such in-your-face vocals. Hmmm...
confused_face.gif

Feb 27, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #119 of 184
Quote:

Something weird happened with my tubes about 30 minutes ago. I turned on my amp and let it warm up for a few minutes, then I put on some Rush. I noticed that the right channel sounded weak, and then I heard a rustling sound. I waited a few seconds and the right channel returned to normal, but then I noticed that the sound of my music had changed.

The bass was the first thing I noticed; it sounded leaner, but still had the same depth. The upper-midrange and treble seemed more upfront. A good thing I noticed was that any hint of sibilance was completely gone. I'm very sensitive to sibilance but what I heard was smooooooth, even though the vocals were very upfront.

I'm still listening and it seems as if the sound is leveling out a bit, to what I'm used to hearing. That is, a bit more punch in the bass and not such in-your-face vocals. Hmmm...
confused_face.gif

What has weirded out--a tube or the Woo? Maybe the WA22's "voice" has changing for the better because your amp is finally hitting puberty? How many hours would you say you've clocked on your 22? I wonder if I should be expecting the same change with mine as well.

Feb 27, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #120 of 184
Quote:

confused_face.gif

Did you try and replay Rush to see if it happened again?
Is the CD clean?
Dust in your player?

Start there and see if that helps, if not then maybe its a tube or a power surge.

ss

Users who are viewing this thread

Back