EML 5U4G Mesh Plate VS. NOS Tubes VS. Sophia Princess 274B Mesh Plate WA22
Feb 28, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #136 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clayton SF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Me next, me, me, me. Where do I get in line to get my EML 5U4G solid plate? j/k. Yes, it'll be interesting because you'll be able to hear the changes from 0 hour! Lucky you.

Crap, since when I started this conmmunity service? I even did not get chance to hear it myself. But what the hell...... stop crying my friend you are next, PM TheAudioDude. TheAudioDude will have it for 4 weeks since the burn-in, each after him is two weeks. Myself is at 3rd order
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

@TheAudioDude, I found this in German dealer, the shipping alone cost $50 for such little thing......
frown.gif

Feb 28, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #137 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Crap, since when I started this conmmunity service? I even did not get chance to hear it myself. But what the hell...... stop crying my friend you are next, PM TheAudioDude. TheAudioDude will have it for 4 weeks since the burn-in, each after him is two weeks. Myself is at 3rd order
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

@TheAudioDude, I found this in German dealer, the shipping alone cost $50 for such little thing......
frown.gif

Wow, thanks. I too will have to treat it like a newborn baby covered in gold (a glowing solid plate newborn baby that is).
icon10.gif

Mar 1, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #138 of 184
Wow, fast shipping! I got the tube today. I'll put it in my WA22 soon and start burning it in. I'll post first impressions later tonight.

Mar 2, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #139 of 184
Quote:

@TheAudioDude, I sent you the EML 5U4G solid plate on last friday. Please do some burn-in to make the call, since the tube is brand new with 0 hours on it. I let you pop the cherry.
biggrin.gif

EML 5U4G mesh vs EML 274B solid.

Solid, is little more open, a little more detail and a little bigger soundstage.

Mesh, better bass/sub bass and smother, a little less Sibilance.

Both are very fast. Its a toss up, it comes down to your preference and the headphones you are using.

These two tubes should be very close, and because of there size be careful not to bump the tube because the center post is very easy to brake off so take a note on how your tube lines up in the socket.

ss

Mar 2, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #140 of 184
My first impression is that not much is different. The sound is the same, but there are small changes that you don't REALLY notice.

First is the detail. It's not MORE detailed, but it makes you notice things you haven't heard before. It's like the details were there all along, but now I've finally taken the time to hear the little things.

Soundstage is the same, but it does seem a tad bit more spacious.

Voices seem a tad bit mellower, but that doesn't mean the sibilance has changed (read sillysally's post). I guess it seems more 'down to earth'.

I'll try to update before bed if I notice anything else worth mentioning. I can't wait until the weekend when it has burned in a bit and I can listen for extended periods.
tongue_smile.gif

Also, one REALLY good thing I noticed is that there's virtually no buzz/noise when the volume knob is turned up. With my mesh, I get a faint buzzing at around 12 o'clock. This may be something to keep in mind, when I say that the solid plate has more 'detail'.

BUT, the solid plate doesn't look nearly as cool as a glowing mesh.
frown.gif

http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/y...e/IMG_4190.jpg

Mar 2, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #141 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAudioDude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, fast shipping! I got the tube today.

biggrin.gif
When things needed to be serious, I am very serious.

Mar 2, 2010 at 5:07 AM Post #142 of 184
Quote:

I'll try to update before bed if I notice anything else worth mentioning. I can't wait until the weekend when it has burned in a bit and I can listen for extended periods.
tongue_smile.gif

Also, one REALLY good thing I noticed is that there's virtually no buzz/noise when the volume knob is turned up. With my mesh, I get a faint buzzing at around 12 o'clock. This may be something to keep in mind, when I say that the solid plate has more 'detail'.

Note that Mesh Rectifier tube's are more sensitive to vibration than Solid Plate Rectifier's. Plus if your THD level increases to much that can also cause the faint buzzing in Mesh plate's.

ss

Mar 3, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #143 of 184
I just put my mesh tube back in, for a quick and early comparison. The buzzing is now nearly equal to the solid-plate. It occurs at a higher volume than before. Hmmm.... dirty pins?

Anyways, so far I have to say I like my mesh plate better than the solid plate. The mesh plate seems more musical. A bit less detail but voices are a tad less harsh.

Mar 3, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #144 of 184
Quote:

I just put my mesh tube back in, for a quick and early comparison. The buzzing is now nearly equal to the solid-plate. It occurs at a higher volume than before. Hmmm.... dirty pins?

Buzzing should not be a issue with these tubes. My EML 5U4G mesh and my EML 274B solid are very quiet in my WA6SE and HD-800.

Quote:

Anyways, so far I have to say I like my mesh plate better than the solid plate. The mesh plate seems more musical. A bit less detail but voices are a tad less harsh.

Yes that is what i hear also, like I said a coin toss.

ss

Mar 3, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #145 of 184
Quote:

Are you using the 6FG8? I hear no buzzing or any types of hum with 6SN7/5998/EML combo.

Mar 3, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #146 of 184
Quote:

Since it occurs with both rectifier tubes have you checked your other tubes? Self-generated noise is sometimes due to loose internals. Is it coming from both channels or just one? If one, try switching left and right tubes one at a time find the culprit.

One other thing you might want to check is power (how much is your power fluctuating from the wall socket). Sometimes big swings(>5%) can cause problems.

Mar 3, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #147 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you using the 6FG8? I hear no buzzing or any types of hum with 6SN7/5998/EML combo.

Yep, I'm using 6F8Gs. If I remember correctly, I did not have any buzzing with my stock 6SN7s. It was completely silent at maximum volume.

Do you have any recommendations for a good pair of 6SN7s?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since it occurs with both rectifier tubes have you checked your other tubes? Self-generated noise is sometimes due to loose internals. Is it coming from both channels or just one? If one, try switching left and right tubes one at a time find the culprit.

One other thing you might want to check is power (how much is your power fluctuating from the wall socket). Sometimes big swings(>5%) can cause problems.

It seems to be centered, so it's coming from both channels. I'm sure my power is pretty poor. If I had to guess, my apartment complex was built in the mid-to-late 70s.
frown.gif

Mar 3, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #148 of 184
Will someone compare the solid version with the mesh version of EML 5U4G?

Other great rectifier is the Philips GZ34 Metal Base. The bass is quite better than with 5U4G Mesh and very adictive. At least in my WA6.

Regards.

Mar 4, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #149 of 184
Quote:

Yep, I'm using 6F8Gs. If I remember correctly, I did not have any buzzing with my stock 6SN7s. It was completely silent at maximum volume.

Do you have any recommendations for a good pair of 6SN7s?

It seems to be centered, so it's coming from both channels. I'm sure my power is pretty poor. If I had to guess, my apartment complex was built in the mid-to-late 70s.
frown.gif

I have four different pairs of 6F8Gs, and listened to 3 pairs. They are all dead silent after few hours of use, never had problem. Also, I have tube tester, and made sure they match.

Mar 4, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #150 of 184
Quote:

I have four different pairs of 6F8Gs, and listened to 3 pairs. They are all dead silent after few hours of use, never had problem. Also, I have tube tester, and made sure they match.

Hmm I see. I'll have to invest in a tube tester soon.

I think I'm going to start rolling different 6F8Gs and 6SN7s. I'm pretty sure that my rectifier and power tubes are here to stay, but I'd like to see what other driver tubes have to offer.

BTW, the solid plate probably has about seven hours right now. I'm listening as I type this!
tongue_smile.gif
This weekend should be very fun, since I'll be able to burn it in all day long and do more comparisons with the mesh plate and/or my TS 6F8Gs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back