EML 5U4G Mesh Plate VS. NOS Tubes VS. Sophia Princess 274B Mesh Plate WA22
Mar 4, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #152 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
B&K 747 is good a tester, test most tubes. The best part is 747 is solid state, you don't have to worry about carlibration too much.

Nice, thanks for the recommendation.

I've still gotta say, the solid plate has great detail. Not a whole lot more than the mesh but slightly enough to take notice. I'm still not totally digging the semi-harshness and sharp voices, but maybe burn-in will help. The soundstage is still great though.
darthsmile.gif

BTW, if anyone wants to see what my finger looks like now:

http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/y...e/IMG_4197.jpg

http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/y...IMG_4198-1.jpg

eek.gif

Mar 4, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #154 of 184
I bought the solid plate because I tried to fix the WA22 lack of impact/dynamic issue. It was recommended by sillysally. But after Modwright Mod. The short commings are addressed already.

Mar 4, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #155 of 184
Quote:

you have small hands. haha.

Yep! My hands are the result of avoiding manual labor and playing videogames my whole life.
tongue_smile.gif
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:

I bought the solid plate because I tried to fix the WA22 lack of impact/dynamic issue. It was recommended by sillysally. But after Modwright Mod. The short commings are addressed already.

I'd be very interested to hear how the mesh and solid sound on the HD650s. The solid is more dynamic but it's not a HUGE difference. I actually prefer something more musical and warm.

Mar 4, 2010 at 4:58 AM Post #156 of 184
I heard 6FG8 can buzz slightly which is why I asked.

As for 6SN7, TS 6SN7 GT is THE BEST there is. But, again, they usually commands hefty premium. I owned the latter version of it which isn't too expensive, but sounds excellent.

Sylvania is also great, but TS is usually a good easy bet.

Mar 4, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #157 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard 6FG8 can buzz slightly which is why I asked.

Mybe your HD800 is more detailed. I do pick up some very very little noise (not audioble at day time) at 3 O'Clock position (loud) with T1, only at silent between songs.

Mar 4, 2010 at 6:18 AM Post #158 of 184
Quote:

Mybe your HD800 is more detailed. I do pick up some very very little noise (not audioble at day time) at 3 O'Clock position (loud) with T1, only at silent between songs.

Yes the HD-800 are very detailed. And yes the Solid plate should give you more impact. But one thing to remember is to match up the rest of your tubes for the Solid plate and the HD-800s.
As you may know I have the WA6SE so its easier for me to match up my drive/power tubes. What I have found is that my RCA 6EW7 big bottle silver top tipped circa 1963 work very well with the EML 274B solid plate. The 6EW7 brings in the soundstage a little but gives a more 3D effect than other brands.
Rather than just a right/left soundstage i get tones coming from all over the place but still out-of-head, and that is very important to me.

Also (this may be just in my head) the Switchcraft N112B TRS
stereo/balanced female phone jack I put in my 6SE may help with the 3D soundstage.
I have talked to Jack about this phone jack and I had a pair of the NL112B shipped to him to install in my upcoming WA5 LE max. I think he is going to evaluate this phone jack.

ss

Mar 7, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #159 of 184
One question for all. Does anyone have the EML 5U4G solid plate? or are you talking about the 274B solid plate?

Mar 7, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #160 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by Torero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One question for all. Does anyone have the EML 5U4G solid plate? or are you talking about the 274B solid plate?

seamaster has 5u4g solid plate, not the mesh, and it isn't 274b.

Mar 8, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #161 of 184
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
seamaster has 5u4g solid plate, not the mesh, and it isn't 274b.

I have both EML 5U4G soild and mesh plate. Right now, the mesh plate is on my WA22, and the TheAudioDude is having fun with my EML 5U4G solid plate. He also has 5U4G mesh plate himself.

Mar 8, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #162 of 184
Quote:

I have the EML 274B solid plate and a EML 5U4G mesh plate before EML redesigned (made smaller) the 5U4G mesh. I now have the New EML 5U4G mesh plate (redesigned).

I asked Jack to send me a pair of the redesigned New EML 5U4G mesh so I could compare to the old EML 5U4G in my WA6SE. These new EML 5U4G mesh will be used in my upcoming WA5 LE.

ss

Mar 8, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #163 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by sillysally /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the EML 274B solid plate and a EML 5U4G mesh plate before EML redesigned (made smaller) the 5U4G mesh. I now have the New EML 5U4G mesh plate (redesigned).

I asked Jack to send me a pair of the redesigned New EML 5U4G mesh so I could compare to the old EML 5U4G in my WA6SE. These new EML 5U4G mesh will be used in my upcoming WA5 LE.

ss

Please let us know if the new design makes any difference.

Mar 8, 2010 at 5:21 AM Post #164 of 184
Quote:

Please let us know if the new design makes any difference.

Not much. there seems to be a little more impact in the bass (new), not as smooth but close (new). The best way i can sum up the new design of EML 5U4G is it seems to be a little more aggressive/crisp in the way it attacks the notes.

The new design seems to keep the bass of the old EML 5U4G mesh and the more aggressive attack of the notes, that the EML 274B solid plate has, but has less harshness then the EML 274B solid plate.

ss

btw; Jack was right on the money (as always) about this very new design EML 5U4G mesh. And from anything that I have read about my upcoming amp the new design EML will not be anything less than the old design and maybe have a edge on the old EML.

Mar 9, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #165 of 184
Quote:

I have both EML 5U4G soild and mesh plate. Right now, the mesh plate is on my WA22, and the TheAudioDude is having fun with my EML 5U4G solid plate. He also has 5U4G mesh plate himself.

Yep, I've been listening exclusively to the solid plate for the past week. Wow, it seems like I've had it for much longer.
redface.gif
I'm getting my ears used to the solid plate, which will make it easier to do a good comparison to the mesh plate.

I've been listening to a lot of music with this. One thing I've found is that I prefer the sound of vinyl to CD. I've been downloading a bunch of 24-bit/96kHz vinyl rips of Pink Floyd albums, and the sound is so much smoother without the slightest hint of sibilance. Although, I did notice that some details aren't as up-front with vinyl. Take for instance Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here (the song). In the beginning at ~54 seconds, you should hear his fingers on the guitar strings as he's holding the note. This is apparent in the CD version, but not on the vinyl rip I have. Hmm.... Although, I may be willing to trade those little details for a much smoother and dynamic sound.
darthsmile.gif

Gahhhhhhhh is it time to invest in a good record player and cartridge?
frown.gif

BTW, I was listening to the vinyl rip of Comfortably Numb. Man, I really forgot how much emotion that song has. I remember the very first time I smoked pot. Right when I started to feel something, that song came on the radio. Never again has it sounded like the way it did when I first smoked, until now.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back