Elemental Watson Class-A Valve/Mosfet Hybrid Headphone Amplifier (Review added)
Sep 25, 2017 at 3:38 AM Post #211 of 333
Anyone using some form of ES9018 DAC in front of this tube amp ? Good pairing ?

Sep 25, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #212 of 333
Sounds exciting, those tubes 6Zh1P-EV. Do keep us posted! Then again... a month seems like a lot of time to deliver. Must be hard to get these tubes...
they come from china with a free, cheap and slow shipment, how' r you're opinion so far on the EW, happy or... ?

Sep 25, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #213 of 333
Anyone using some form of ES9018 DAC in front of this tube amp ? Good pairing ?
I sometimes use the amp with my oppo ha 2-se and yes i'm happy is a good pairing :)

Sep 25, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #214 of 333
Found myself reaching out and setting it up for a listen more often than I thought I would... listening to it as of now...

It's a little messy...

20170925_230303.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #215 of 333
Found myself reaching out and setting it up for a listen more often than I thought I would... listening to it as of now...

It's a little messy...

Glad you're enjoying it!! I just feel like a lot of people don't know about this amp and therefore don't know how great it is... I am going to fire it up now speaking of which. I want to hear how the synergy is with the Parsound Zdac v.2

Sep 25, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #216 of 333
Hi guys, I'm looking for a substitute for Audeze Deckard amp/dac. I dont use its DAC and it generates heat amount similar to standard household heater.

I use Burr-Brown PCM1794 DAC.
I really like Audeze warm sound signature and I recently listened to Bravo V3 tube hybrid, and found its sound too flat compared to Deckard amp. Not bad, but Audeze sounds much more 'musical' w HD700, 800, 558, TH-X00.

Anyone compared Watson to Deckard amp?

Since Elemental Watson looks pretty similar to V3, isn't that an issue with it?
Or maybe anyone had a chance to listen to both Watson and Bravo V3?

Sep 25, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #217 of 333
Hi guys, I'm looking for a substitute for Audeze Deckard amp/dac. I dont use its DAC and it generates heat amount similar to standard household heater.

I use Burr-Brown PCM1794 DAC.
I really like Audeze warm sound signature and I recently listened to Bravo V3 tube hybrid, and found its sound too flat compared to Deckard amp. Not bad, but Audeze sounds much more 'musical' w HD700, 800, 558, TH-X00.

Anyone compared Watson to Deckard amp?

Since Elemental Watson looks pretty similar to V3, isn't that an issue with it?
Or maybe anyone had a chance to listen to both Watson and Bravo V3?

Not even the best bravo should stand a chance in front of the EW, the aesthetics is similar but, 2 different leagues here. The EW should complement very well PCM1794. I had together as a stack the Asus Xonar Essence and the EW and I was pleased by the overall performance and sound.

Sep 25, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #218 of 333

It's a little messy...

Love the design of the Black Label is still on my short list. What's the headphones ? Btw a short review of the Black Label :D ?

Sep 26, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #219 of 333
Anyone compared EW to Lyr2 and WA7?
I understand WA7 might be in a different league, but still..
Specific purpose is HD700 and regular HD800, not S.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2017 at 5:44 AM Post #220 of 333
Anyone compared EW to Lyr2 and WA7?
I understand WA7 might be in a different league, but still..
Specific purpose is HD700 and regular HD800, not S.
I believe nobody did, but you may be the first that does

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #221 of 333
Love the design of the Black Label is still on my short list. What's the headphones ? Btw a short review of the Black Label :D ?

iFi iDSD (Black Label) is an easy recommend and plenty rosy and plus points have been said about it. I personally I align with the positive reviews and enjoyed it and it deservedly occupies a space for my current desktop setup (although many use it as a transportable DAC too).

This thread is about EW so I'll try not to deviate. Save to say, with the EW, I have the iDSD setting on "Preamplifier" for (RCA to the EW) and that works best for me. *side note, official user manual suggest switching between "Direct" to "Preamplifier" only with the iDSD turned off*

Sep 29, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #223 of 333
iFi iDSD (Black Label) is an easy recommend and plenty rosy and plus points have been said about it. I personally I align with the positive reviews and enjoyed it and it deservedly occupies a space for my current desktop setup (although many use it as a transportable DAC too).

This thread is about EW so I'll try not to deviate. Save to say, with the EW, I have the iDSD setting on "Preamplifier" for (RCA to the EW) and that works best for me. *side note, official user manual suggest switching between "Direct" to "Preamplifier" only with the iDSD turned off*
Thx :)

Oct 25, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #224 of 333
Picked up the Watson and a pair of AKG K702's from Jaben last week, after a 5+ year hiatus from the world of mid-fi. Consider me impressed. Out of the Watson, the K702 has plenty of power, authority, and dynamism. They are still lacking somewhat in the sub-bass region compared to my M50x, but that's the nature of the beast. I have a pair of Mullard M8100's on the way, and I'm hoping this brings a bit more warmth and weight to the mids and low-end. In the meantime, I'm happy to report that the Watson + K702 are a wonderful combination.

Oct 25, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #225 of 333
Picked up the Watson and a pair of AKG K702's from Jaben last week, after a 5+ year hiatus from the world of mid-fi. Consider me impressed. Out of the Watson, the K702 has plenty of power, authority, and dynamism. They are still lacking somewhat in the sub-bass region compared to my M50x, but that's the nature of the beast. I have a pair of Mullard M8100's on the way, and I'm hoping this brings a bit more warmth and weight to the mids and low-end. In the meantime, I'm happy to report that the Watson + K702 are a wonderful combination.
Please do tell us how the Mullards fairs!! This amp continually impresses people in our store an our customers. Sometimes great things come in dual mono, class A small packages

Users who are viewing this thread

Back