Electrostatic Mini-Meet
Aug 30, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #31 of 69
Hey Hirsch, it was a real pleasure meeting you. I'm glad the L3000 is a welcome addition to your collection - finding headphones good homes is why I do/did that kind of thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
On redbook, I'm not convinced that I heard major advances over the G08. Improvement, yes, major, no.

It's so weird that you mention that - I thought the Meitner rig sounded quite different from what I associate with the Meridian G08 sound. Based on comparisons tk_suki and I did in Tokyo, we determined the sonic approaches of the Chord DAC64 and Meridian G08 were very similar. While listening to the Qualia 010, Krell amp and EMM source with my redbook CD's, I noticed a decidedly more detailed, clearer, somewhat more treble forward presentation than my usual DAC64 or the G08. I thought it sounded a bit thinner and less warm. I don't know if this is due to differences in amps, as I've only really used my Grace m902 which is a warm amp (no idea about the sonic approach of the Krell) but I was thinking that the EMM equipment was far more resolving than my DAC64. Now I wasn't that happy with the Qualia out of this rig because of this, but maybe that's just preferences and the equipment that I'm used to.

Quote:

When gpalmer turned on the Megadeath CD and cranked the volume on the HE90, I was sitting ten feet away, and still thought that Tom had turned on his speaker rig.
very_evil_smiley.gif

When Tom's son was listening to Eminem with the Qualia on backwards, I thought his son was blasting the speaker rig!
icon10.gif

Best regards,

-Jason

Aug 30, 2005 at 10:58 PM Post #32 of 69
Quote:

The Singlepower prototype seemed to bring out the best of the SRM-007t. I'm normally not a fan of this headphone. I may have to rethink that...

SinglePower has a prototype headphone? or are you talking about the SR-007 and not the SRM-007t.
confused.gif

Aug 30, 2005 at 11:23 PM Post #33 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Now I wasn't that happy with the Qualia out of this rig because of this, but maybe that's just preferences and the equipment that I'm used to.

I think the Qualia is so open & hyperdetailed itself, that it synergizes better with upstream gear that actually compresses, or at least smooths over dynamics a bit, as compared to more detailed sources.

Meitner + Qualia + Krell amp ("beefy", but pretty neutral, imo) = too much detail, if there is such a thing. No euphonics at all.

Perhaps the Orpheus system can be accused of just the right amount of detail & euphonics? If so, "daddy like!"

Aug 30, 2005 at 11:51 PM Post #34 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
gpalma, gpalmer, what'eva... you're in New Yawk now, buddy!
biggrin.gif

LOL, that was what I was thinking, I've been adopted!
biggrin.gif

Aug 31, 2005 at 12:05 AM Post #35 of 69
Quote:

When gpalmer turned on the Megadeath CD and cranked the volume on the HE90, I was sitting ten feet away, and still thought that Tom had turned on his speaker rig.

Heh, and did I mention the HE-90 can do and acceptable job with metal?
biggrin.gif
I knew I had it loud when jpelg commented on the volume, he's not shy either though he isn't Tom's son either!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
Meitner + Qualia + Krell amp ("beefy", but pretty neutral, imo) = too much detail, if there is such a thing. No euphonics at all.

No, no, no, Meitner + Qualia + Krell = Heaven!
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
Perhaps the Orpheus system can be accused of just the right amount of detail & euphonics? If so, "daddy like!"

I think so, I notice the euphonics and I just don't care, the detail I consider most important is there, the music sounds wonderful and some of the smoothing over improves the source material and makes it more enjoyable...

Aug 31, 2005 at 12:40 AM Post #36 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
SinglePower has a prototype headphone? or are you talking about the SR-007 and not the SRM-007t.
confused.gif

Hirsch was talking about the sr-007(Omega IIs) driven by the 2 box Singlepower prototype amp,the omegas mate extremely well with this amp.

The emm labs gear with redbook is top notch from my long term listening, Best I have owned.
It was a fun day,I always enjoy the mini-meets over the Big ones.
Yeah my son was cranking those 010s,gotta let him know he was wearing them backwards though
tongue.gif

Aug 31, 2005 at 1:01 AM Post #37 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by bozebuttons
Hirsch was talking about the sr-007(Omega IIs) driven by the 2 box Singlepower prototype amp,the omegas mate extremely well with this amp.

with stevieo's comment about keeping quiet about something, I thought there was a secret headphone present.
tongue.gif

great thread guys. keep the very informative posts coming.

Aug 31, 2005 at 1:12 AM Post #38 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
with stevieo's comment about keeping quiet about something, I thought there was a secret headphone present.
tongue.gif

Naw, I think that was about his upcoming sex change operation...
biggrin.gif
(Just kidding Stevio, don't kill me!)

Aug 31, 2005 at 1:25 AM Post #39 of 69
I have spent 10 hours comparing redbook playback using the Meitner setup (DCC2 2 channel), and the G08 and the Meitner is worlds above the G08. The Emm Labs is clean, detailed and blows away the G08. I have never heard anything that comes close to the Meitner DAC/Transport combo, even without true DSD output. The Meitner upsamples redbook to 5.8 Meg as opposed to 192k, and although it is a software upsample, the sound difference is day and night.
Hirsch, you've got to give the comparison more listening time. Nothing comes close. I would like to hear the Meitner compared to the CD-12 and the Burmester 001, but I think the winner will be a knock down , hit over the head difference.
It is money well spent, when seeking the best there is.

Aug 31, 2005 at 1:55 AM Post #40 of 69
Stevio meant the secret NOS Lamdas. He wants them and I owe him for the Radii Amp find.

The Omegas did sound strong with the Singlepower, but I felt it needed MORE JUICE. Had the amp at4 oclock! Seems that the Stax family comes alive when feed da power. They energize and dynamic impact comes alive. Detail and nuance seem always present, low or high volume, but REALISM increases with volume. They just come alive when the juice is applied. Especially the Lamdas and less so the Omegas.

Tom's daughter is the real headfier in the wings. Gave her a crack at the E-stats and she liked em. Came back with her stack of CDs and traded up from the SRXmk3 and threw on the Lamdas.............

The real deal for me was Toms HE90/HEV90. Hirsch, to my ears it missed NO DETAILS. It's presentation is so relaxed yet complete, so beguiling yet musical, you do not fixate on hyper detail cause you are so at ease with a complete reproduction of the music ....you just listen and do not analyze. The detail to my ear is ALL there and it is so good, it can be classified as Undetailed like!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Lamdas just got BALLS. These mothers are slightly sizzling on the very top and the last 10HZ on the bottom is just okay. But baby when you crank them they put you right there. When far field diffused the sizzle at the very top is tamed and the phones melt away. NO in head soundstage at all.

The Omegas are the steady Eddy......really great all around phone. Female vocals sound sublime...nah, they sound like female vocals....and that ain't easy.

The He60s had a beautiful and spry midrange. Strings were really excellent. Felt solid and sounded solid. The Meitner sounds special , very special with SACD, but wish it had a tube for CD, thou right at the top on that source even without em.

Hey Tom and guys....thank you .
Dan

Aug 31, 2005 at 1:56 AM Post #41 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
Hirsch, you've got to give the comparison more listening time. Nothing comes close. I would like to hear the Meitner compared to the CD-12 and the Burmester 001, but I think the winner will be a knock down , hit over the head difference.
It is money well spent, when seeking the best there is.

I know. I think I'm trying to convince myself that the G08 is good enough, so I can give my wallet a break.
tongue.gif

Aug 31, 2005 at 2:01 AM Post #42 of 69
hmm? who got DCC2? i thought tom had dac6e

Aug 31, 2005 at 2:04 AM Post #43 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
hmm? who got DCC2? i thought tom had dac6e

I think you're right on that, I think it was a typo...

Aug 31, 2005 at 3:06 AM Post #44 of 69
No typo...I have the DCC2 which is two channels of the DAC6e with a Swichmann 2 preamp built in.

Aug 31, 2005 at 3:11 AM Post #45 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
No typo...I have the DCC2

Have you gone mad?
biggrin.gif
There hardly any more upgrading after this. What are you going to do?
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back