Electrostatic Mini-Meet
Aug 27, 2005 at 10:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 69

dannyandelyse

100+ Head-Fier
I was in a room today that had 3 Stax Omegas, also Lamdas, and other Stax phones. This room also held 3 Sennheiser Orpheus HE90s, also Sennheiser HE60s with all the matching amps, both tube and solid state. I had a fun day. Can make you cry.....

Aug 27, 2005 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyandelyse
I was in a room today that had 3 Stax Omegas, also Lamdas, and other Stax phones. This room also held 3 Sennheiser Orpheus HE90s, also Sennheiser HE60s with all the matching amps, both tube and solid state. I had a fun day. Can make you cry.....

Wow, where were you at, and whose systems were those?
eek.gif

Aug 27, 2005 at 11:49 PM Post #5 of 69
3 HEV90s?
eek.gif

Aug 27, 2005 at 11:59 PM Post #6 of 69
where was that? i am gonna rob that place!
tongue.gif

Aug 28, 2005 at 12:00 AM Post #7 of 69
Heh, sounds like the NYC meet I was at. I sat at the Orpheus for about an hour, completely spaced out and lost in my own music. Or at least I thought is was my music - turns out I really didn't know it all that well! With the Orpheus around, though, I didn't allow enough time to try out anything else
orphsmile.gif
The Qualias were good, though. Surprisingly.

Aug 28, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #8 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
Heh, sounds like the NYC meet I was at. I sat at the Orpheus for about an hour, completely spaced out and lost in my own music. Or at least I thought is was my music - turns out I really didn't know it all that well! With the Orpheus around, though, I didn't allow enough time to try out anything else
orphsmile.gif
The Qualias were good, though. Surprisingly.

Sorry, OT - When is the next NYC meet?

Aug 28, 2005 at 11:09 AM Post #12 of 69
There was so much high end electrostatic phones that I forgot the Qualias in the room....
There was no room for the Grado HP1000 and PS1 and the like which were in house, but NO ROOM.
Can you believe I did not even see a Senn 650 !
I had at one point a Orpheus 90 and a Stax Omega and a Senn He60 all on my lap and switching between Stax top end amps, Orpheus Amp, KGSSs and special a prototype tube amp from a famous builder! The source was not to shabby either.
Wanna cry....................

Aug 28, 2005 at 3:30 PM Post #14 of 69
Do to all the interest in Electrostatics lately I put to gether a electrostatic mini -meet at my home,Three of the members who attended have HE90s on order from the recent Lucky 18 Buy.

Members who attended.
Canman
Hirsch
stevieo
jpelg
gpalma
jjcha
dannyandelyse

Headphones on Hand
2- HE90s
3-O2s
1-HE60
1- Lamda pro (Nos,surprising good phone)
1- Stax SRX MK111
Some dynamics where also on hand ,but the meet theme was to
compare electrostatic setups.

Amps on hand
HEV90
Singlepower 2 box
Both sourced by the EMM labs Gear

STAX 007t amp
Headamp Balckgated KGSS
Canmans regular KGSS( didn't get hooked up)
This setup used the Meridian G08 as source.
The HEV 90 also saw some time with the GO8 at the end of the meet.

TheStax SRX MK111 was driven by the Dared 300b mono blocks(My new jack of all trades amp) also listened to various dynamic phones using a Grado labs Headphone adapter cable hooked up to the speaker outputs of the Dared.The K1000s also saw some action from this amp.
The Dared amp was daisychained through the Krell Ksa 5 amp using the
Theta Data transport /Ack DaCk combo.

This was a very casual meet with a lot of listening and discussion going on between members. I did a lot of talking not to much listening.
I had a very enjoyable day( Had a good time driving stevieo nuts with the Dared monoblock amp combo,as he owns a set,stevieo sorry about you wallet
tongue.gif
).

Thanks Dan for making the coffee run & cookies(maybe next time I will able to try the cookies before they are all gone
tongue.gif

Sorry Hirsch & stevieo you had to leave so early & had to take a cab to the airport.

All in all the meet went very well ,always great hanging out with other Headfiers & meeting new ones jjcha(first time meeting Jason) & spending more time with gpalmer (meet Greg at the last NY meet).

I will leave impressions for the other members to post,I know canman took some pics,so bug him to post them.

P.S.
Some one left Patrica Barbra Live,A Fortnight in France CD ,I am listening to it now(Great CD),PM me & I will send it to you.

Aug 28, 2005 at 4:26 PM Post #15 of 69
For the past month the HE-60 has taken over my main system connected to the Meridian G08 and KGSS through Bogdan Gold/Silver Spirit XLR cable. The Stax Omega 2 usually has the job of delivering sweet sounds but the HE-60 is busy offering a picture into the music that is unique in the headphone world. Except perhaps, for the HE-90.

Sweet, sweet pile of Orpheus:
Orpheus_pile.jpg

The question has intrigued me and I’m sure others as well: Just how close does the “Baby Orpheus” sound when compared to the big daddy HE-90?

I have to start by saying I’m never a fan of applying percentages to compare two different headphones. That is like trying to apply an absolute value to a completely subjective viewpoint. The last 5% of improvement in someone else’s mind may be the difference of a headphone that sounds good and a headphone that totally immerses me into the music. That may be the 5% that takes me there and reaches my goal of total immersion so that I am transplanted into the concert hall along with my favorite band.

I had the lucky opportunity to spend an afternoon with a couple of other Head-Fiers in a small setting to completely focus on high end electrostatic gear. I spent a great amount of time comparing the two Sennheiser electrostats on a variety of amps including the Stax 007t, Headamp KGSS, Singlepower electrostatic prototype, but mostly (and bestly IMO) the HEV-90. Through two different adaptors I was able to hook up the HE-60 to the HEV-90: an HE-60 to Stax adaptor using the Saturn engine wiring harness that we were so lucky that bozebuttons discovered, and a Stax to Fischer (HE-90) adaptor.

The HE-60 and HE-90 share a family resemblance that is unique in the headphone world. Both share inherent traits of speed and clarity of tone combined with a natural sound. The first trait I look for in a headphone is transparency, meaning there is an ability to give the illusion that reproduced instruments are real. The HE-60 is a terrific headphone; certainly among the top for me. The HE-90 builds upon the HE-60 in several key areas to make it as good or better than any headphone ever produced.

I enjoy all types of music, but my reference for evaluating gear is orchestral music. My test CD of choice is a Telarc DSD recording of Schubert “Death and the Maiden” arranged for orchestra by Mahler performed by Rosenkrans and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. I think classical is most appropriate for evaluation since it offers a natural soundstage and is harmonically rich and layered. Plus I enjoy it.

Placing the HE-90 on my head, the most noticeable differentiation to the HE-60 (besides the plush leather headband and soft velvet ear cushions) is the sense of openness. The HE-60 has soundstage width akin to its dynamic brethren – the HD-600 and HD-650, albeit with a better layered and defined sense of space. The HE-90 obliterates the HE-60 in this regard. The HE-90 soundstage is holographic. That is not to say it is speaker like, as I feel the R10 is. It remains intimate yet it immerses me in the concert hall where I can look around to examine different sections of the orchestra at will. Perhaps the larger soundstage is the result of larger diaphragms.

The lineup (notice larger cup and diaphragm on the HE-90):
es_lineup.jpg

The next difference I noticed was the nature of tone. That elusive combination of clarity and depth of tone is tackled the HE-90. Midrange is achingly present, while the high end is smooth and clear as can be. In the same situation (particularly with overproduced recordings) the HE-60 can yield a lean or bright sound. Interestingly, the HE-90 is the more forgiving headphone. This is a double edged sword though: with metal like gpalmer’s Megadeth CD, the HE-60 rocks out a bit more and allows more of the distortion through that is part of the metal experience. One may or may not be inclined for such an experience.
wink.gif

Both headphones have coherent bass that is tough to compete with. The HE-90 offers better definition and has more air around bass notes. There were two HE-90s on hand for comparison. One was leaner than the HE-60 in the bass, while the other was about the same in terms of quantity.

I was enjoying the music so much that any other differences that may exist went unnoticed. The differences in soundstage and tone are significant enough to make the differentiation in price worthy of consideration. While the HE-90 paired with the HEV-90 approaches the pinnacle of my goals for music reproduction, the HE-60 offers a glimpse of some of the same magic at a more affordable price. The HE-60 is no Orpheus, but taken on its own is one of the most enjoyable headphones I have had the pleasure of listening to music with.

*Note: I have not listened to the HEV-70 amplifier in over a year and I can’t use mine since I don’t have the proper voltage AC adaptor. All opinions are using HEV-90 and aftermarket amplifiers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back