Electronic Music Exchange (House, DnB, Dubstep, etc.)
Dec 21, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #3,976 of 6,987
Quote:

Could someone make any recommendations of experimental dub kind of albums/artists (Please no vocals)

Amon Tobin's work. Two Fingers is his another project, he has cool stuff under his own name. ISAM is his latest, it's awesomely good. Foley Room is kind of more mechanical sounds where ISAM is organic.

Dec 21, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #3,977 of 6,987
YES.

Quote:
Amon Tobin's work. Two Fingers is his another project, he has cool stuff under his own name. ISAM is his latest, it's awesomely good. Foley Room is kind of more mechanical sounds where ISAM is organic.

Also, you like Four Tet but you don't want vocals? My favorite Four Tet song is Angel Echos D:

Anyway...Give BT's Morceau Subrosa a shot. Tycho would be another good choice. Same vein as Four Tet. Robot Science is good IDM as well. 

If you want something darker...Lustmord.

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #3,978 of 6,987
Quote:
YES.

Also, you like Four Tet but you don't want vocals? My favorite Four Tet song is Angel Echos D:

Anyway...Give BT's Morceau Subrosa a shot. Tycho would be another good choice. Same vein as Four Tet. Robot Science is good IDM as well. 

If you want something darker...Lustmord.

I like Four Tet, but at present trying to find bands which don't have vocals. :) Will check them all.

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #3,979 of 6,987
Quote:
BT - Morceau Subrosa (Ambient)
Lorn - Ask the Dust (Dark Dubstep)
Burial - Kindred (Future Garage)
Soular Order - Ascent, Change of Pace, IV, and Signals (Future Garage / Dubstep)
Two Fingers - Stunt Rhythms (Glitch Hop / Dubstep)

Fairly easy to pick my favorites, but I could never list all of the Honorable Mentions. 

The one that barely got pushed out was Sub Focus' Tidal Wave single release, but I pushed it out for Two Fingers simply because that entire album is great. 

Keep in mind that while I have listened to a ton of EDM this year, I have also missed out on quite a bit. 

EDIT: Also, Dysphemic & Miss Eliza just put out a massive track called 'End of the World'. Can't seem to find it on YouTube, and my laptop isn't playing nice with Soundcloud at the moment, but go listen.

I knew what was going to be number one for you. I've got it and its a great one for late at night. If you give it your full attention there is loads going on that you miss on first listen. Very clever stuff. I've been listening to a bit of Biosphere recently aswell, very similar.
Quote:
Well here goes my Top 5:

Meta - The Alpha EP (Dubstep/Ambient)
C&K - Between The Lines (DnB)
Terravita - The Power Of Fire EP (Drumstep)
Culprate - Nigthmares In Reality EP (Dubstep, MidTempo)

After those 4 it's just a bunch of Lifted releases really, and I still really like 2 (Netsky).

So many good releases this year.

Edit:

Also, my favorite tune off the Red Planet LP (The Others' recent album, very good) is a surprise, dark dubstep tune called Antithesis, couldn't find a preview though.

Never heard any of these, but I will now!
Quote:

I've been thinking about compiling a list of my own for a while, but I'm waiting till the year is over before I start even thinking about what's going to be on it. Instead of a top 5/10/20 I'll probably make it more interesting (at least for myself) by having multiple categories with only a few entries each. I might do something like:

Top 3 Albums, Top 3 EPs, Top 3 EPs (free), Top 3 Singles, Top 3 Singles (free), Favorite Remix, Favorite New Artist of 2012, Best Discovery in 2012… and perhaps something else if I come up with something.

Look forward to your New year post. Nice one

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #3,980 of 6,987
Quote:
Guys, I am not really into Electronic music. I have been a metalhead all these years. And then I heard some James Blake and got pushed in this direction.

The bands I have been able to appreciate are:

1. Baths
  2. Four Tet
  3. Lapalux
  4. Gold Panda
  5. Teebs
  6. Shlohmo
  7. Mux Mool
  8. Sepalcure
  9. Flying Lotus
  10. Mount Kimbie
  11. Shigeto
  12. TokiMonsta
  13. Nosaj Thing - Drift
  14. Balam Acab
  15. Eleven Tigers
  16. Zomby
  17. Kuedo
  18. Blackbird Blackbird
  19. Vex'd
  20. Skream

Could someone make any recommendations of experimental dub kind of albums/artists (Please no vocals)

Try a bit of Jon Hopkins especially "insides" from 2009. Really good dubstep (no vocals) Also Shed "the Killer"

Looking at your list you may also appreciate, Telefon Tel Aviv, Ricardo Villalobos, Monolake, Hidden Orchestra, Andy Stott (bits of vocals but no actual songs. His music is a great mix of dark dubstep and techno)

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #3,981 of 6,987
I knew what was going to be number one for you. I've got it and its a great one for late at night. If you give it your full attention there is loads going on that you miss on first listen. Very clever stuff. I've been listening to a bit of Biosphere recently aswell, very similar.

I've always recommended it as a piece that should be focused on completely. That's one reason it gets my #1 spot. It's an album that demands it be focused on to get the full effect. Not a lot that does that demands that kind of attention nowadays.

Not to mention the amazing positioning in certain parts. One of my favorite test pieces is at ~7 minutes. The birds are flooring oh good on something with proper staging.

Dec 21, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #3,982 of 6,987
Quote:
I've always recommended it as a piece that should be focused on completely. That's one reason it gets my #1 spot. It's an album that demands it be focused on to get the full effect. Not a lot that does that demands that kind of attention nowadays.
Not to mention the amazing positioning in certain parts. One of my favorite test pieces is at ~7 minutes. The birds are flooring oh good on something with proper staging.

Yeah, makes me wish I had a set of HD800's just for peices like that. Though suppose it doesn't sound too bad on the 009's
wink_face.gif

I listen to most ambient stuff on my HE500's I think they do it  quite well. But theres nothing like the LCD2's for more aggresive dub like Lorn etc.

Dec 21, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #3,983 of 6,987
Yeah, makes me wish I had a set of HD800's just for peices like that. Though suppose it doesn't sound too bad on the 009's :wink_face:

I listen to most ambient stuff on my HE500's I think they do it  quite well. But theres nothing like the LCD2's for more aggresive dub like Lorn etc.

In that price range I'd have 3 cans and an LG. It'd cover all EDM.

HD800 for Ambient pieces and probably Future Garage
HE500 for Liquid DnB and mid centric synth stuff (Daft Punk)
D7000 for hard stuff

Then again...just get a TH900

Dec 21, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #3,986 of 6,987
Yeah the op said he wanted dub but the list he gave of what he already had was quite an ecclectic mix of EDM. So I also recommended other than pure dubstep.

Dec 21, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #3,988 of 6,987
Quote:
Oh...Woopsy!

Well, they're still good experimental. :D

No Woopsy! we were being helpful ha

Busy listening to Deadbeat's "Eight" this is such a good techno album. Really full and deep sound and the bass is just woohowza!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back