Effect Audio cables thread
May 22, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #6,946 of 7,907
Here it goes...Now we are talking real juicy.

Like fine dining, the careful selection of ingredients and how to mix them is what will make an special and unique experience.

I can't wait to hear them. :)
Well, this is not an easy task to make a definitive choice (this is my purpose).

Full synergies as always. I am very picky and merciless with that particular point. 🤔

I am caught in the middle of two (not opposite but different) fires :

- The FE has the advantage of better technicalities, as described in the review. I do not change a comma about that. It's obvious.

- But on the other hand, the standard 8w version has, I find, more "charm" : magical touch (human voices), X factor, special sauce... This kind of (rare) quality. With the Ringo's, precisely. Why ? Don't know... Synergy. 🧐

And, aesthetically, the FE is.... 🫣🥰🤩😎🤩🥰🫣. With the Ringo's, precisely. Perfect match.

The other one is just (🤩)🥰😎🥰(🤩)... Sort of. Good but not the very best match. 😅

This is the state of my dilemma. Need more time. 😇

May 22, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #6,947 of 7,907
Well, this is not an easy task to make a definitive choice (this is my purpose).

Full synergies as always. I am very picky and merciless with that particular point. 🤔

I am caught in the middle of two (not opposite but different) fires :

- The FE has the advantage of better technicalities, as described in the review. I do not change a comma about that. It's obvious.

- But on the other hand, the standard 8w version has, I find, more "charm" : magical touch (human voices), X factor, special sauce... This kind of (rare) quality. With the Ringo's, precisely. Why ? Don't know... Synergy. 🧐

And, aesthetically, the FE is.... 🫣🥰🤩😎🤩🥰🫣. With the Ringo's, precisely. Perfect match.

The other one is just (🤩)🥰😎🥰(🤩)... Sort of. Good but not the very best match. 😅

This is the state of my dilemma. Need more time. 😇

Awesome mate! The good thing of having both and having noticeable differences is that you can always change around based on mood and enjoy a new IEM every day. 😁

May 23, 2023 at 1:55 AM Post #6,948 of 7,907
Awesome mate! The good thing of having both and having noticeable differences is that you can always change around based on mood and enjoy a new IEM every day. 😁
Elegant solution 😎🤩😜😇

May 23, 2023 at 4:13 AM Post #6,949 of 7,907
Alright, so I have a few things to share and basically I am here to ask for @EffectAudio 's help.

I bought a Centurion early May and five days later, this happened:
IMG_0961.jpeg

Now if anyone remember me from last year, the same oxidation happened to my other Centurion, but for context, that one was kept in a VE leather case without any moisture protection, and the oxidation was only clearly noticeable after 5 months. This one I kept in a Pelican case with dehumidifiers, and the Pelican itself was kept in a dry box, again with dehumidifiers.

I thought that was impossible since it is only less than a week since I got it, but I recognise these oxidated parts immediate because it is exactly the same as last year. So I emailed effect audio asking for help. Their reply was that these looked like colour stains on the outer jacket. The stains were clearly inside on the wire, but I did not press the case further since it is only a small part.

Another week gone and the oxidation worsened - it is clearly noticeable in many parts of the wire:
IMG_1040.jpeg

IMG_1042.jpeg

So I went to Crystal Sound Audio (CSA), the Hong Kong dealer for Effect Audio, for help. They recognised that it was oxidation but stated that EA might not be able to "fix" it. (I sent my Chiron for RMA in March due to bad contact and oxidation and it was returned to me after two months with a new 4.4, but the oxidated wires remained - which I don't mind because it is not very noticeable through Chiron's matte black jacket)

Today CSA came back to me saying that EA said oxidation cannot be fixed.

Basically I am a bit disappointed because last year EA offered me a brand new exchange once I posted my issues on Head-Fi. This time I thought the problem was more serious because the oxidation happened within a month and with my best efforts of anti-humidity - dry box, dehumidifiers, and basically using it indoors only. I am finding it very strange because:

- my last Centurion oxidised after 5 months and that was without any protection. This one lasted 7 days.
- I use the exact same placement method for my Chiron x Code 51 (which has identical materials as the Centurion for some of the wires) which I have had for two months longer, and NOTHING happened to that cable - still looks immaculate. And I used this cable outdoors.

Anyway, what I am saying is that I experienced great customet service from EA last year - they replaced my Centurion very quickly. I eventually ended up selling it due to synergy issues with my new IEMs and fear of oxidation. I purchased another one this year because I loved it with the Annihilator, and seeing that my anti-oxidation methods worked for my other wires, I was confident to give it another shot. Needless to say I am a shocked and disappointed that it happened that quickly.

Seeing that I bought two Centurions at full retail price, I'd like to ask for EA's help and see of you could do one of the following for me:

- a brand new exchange (but I don't prefer this option because I might end up selling it again)
- a full/partial refund
- an exchange to other cable options
- just a thought: if you can build the Centurion with Chiron's matte black jacket, then I probably wouldn't mind the oxidation as much.

Or if you have any other options, please feel free to discuss it with me.

Thank you.

@EffectAudio @JordonEA

May 23, 2023 at 4:43 AM Post #6,950 of 7,907
:sweat: :thermometer_face: :slight_frown:

May 23, 2023 at 4:46 AM Post #6,951 of 7,907
Alright, so I have a few things to share and basically I am here to ask for @EffectAudio 's help.

I bought a Centurion early May and five days later, this happened:

Now if anyone remember me from last year, the same oxidation happened to my other Centurion, but for context, that one was kept in a VE leather case without any moisture protection, and the oxidation was only clearly noticeable after 5 months. This one I kept in a Pelican case with dehumidifiers, and the Pelican itself was kept in a dry box, again with dehumidifiers.

I thought that was impossible since it is only less than a week since I got it, but I recognise these oxidated parts immediate because it is exactly the same as last year. So I emailed effect audio asking for help. Their reply was that these looked like colour stains on the outer jacket. The stains were clearly inside on the wire, but I did not press the case further since it is only a small part.

Another week gone and the oxidation worsened - it is clearly noticeable in many parts of the wire:

So I went to Crystal Sound Audio (CSA), the Hong Kong dealer for Effect Audio, for help. They recognised that it was oxidation but stated that EA might not be able to "fix" it. (I sent my Chiron for RMA in March due to bad contact and oxidation and it was returned to me after two months with a new 4.4, but the oxidated wires remained - which I don't mind because it is not very noticeable through Chiron's matte black jacket)

Today CSA came back to me saying that EA said oxidation cannot be fixed.

Basically I am a bit disappointed because last year EA offered me a brand new exchange once I posted my issues on Head-Fi. This time I thought the problem was more serious because the oxidation happened within a month and with my best efforts of anti-humidity - dry box, dehumidifiers, and basically using it indoors only. I am finding it very strange because:

- my last Centurion oxidised after 5 months and that was without any protection. This one lasted 7 days.
- I use the exact same placement method for my Chiron x Code 51 (which has identical materials as the Centurion for some of the wires) which I have had for two months longer, and NOTHING happened to that cable - still looks immaculate. And I used this cable outdoors.

Anyway, what I am saying is that I experienced great customet service from EA last year - they replaced my Centurion very quickly. I eventually ended up selling it due to synergy issues with my new IEMs and fear of oxidation. I purchased another one this year because I loved it with the Annihilator, and seeing that my anti-oxidation methods worked for my other wires, I was confident to give it another shot. Needless to say I am a shocked and disappointed that it happened that quickly.

Seeing that I bought two Centurions at full retail price, I'd like to ask for EA's help and see of you could do one of the following for me:

- a brand new exchange (but I don't prefer this option because I might end up selling it again)
- a full/partial refund
- an exchange to other cable options
- just a thought: if you can build the Centurion with Chiron's matte black jacket, then I probably wouldn't mind the oxidation as much.

Or if you have any other options, please feel free to discuss it with me.

Thank you.

@EffectAudio @JordonEA
Hello @kevin638880
Thanks for bringing this to my attention! 7 days is indeed very odd! I will highlight this issue to the team and get this re-evaluated. The team should get back to you soon.

- Jordon

Effect Audio Stay updated on Effect Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/effectaudiosg/ https://twitter.com/EffectAudio https://www.instagram.com/effectaudio/ http://www.effectaudio.com/ https://wa.me/message/A64BKXQECHD4E1 info@effectaudio.com
May 23, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #6,952 of 7,907
Hi there :wave:

I’ve been dusted off one last time to provide some impressions of the 8w versions of the Ares S and Cadmus S. Apologies again to EA for it taking a while, I received them a few weeks back but have been buried in deadlines last months.

The cables were launched right around when I left EA about a year ago I think(?) I remember being a bit skeptical about the higher price relative to Ares II, since $180 felt like a significant price for an entry-level cable. But admittedly, once I heard the Ares S and Cadmus I was impressed by the sound quality of both cables.

PXL_20230523_142137142~2.jpg

Ares S and Cadmus
The Ares S has a more neutral tone in its upper midrange compared to the relative brighter upper midrange of the Ares II, while its bass in turn is less warm. As a result, its signature is overall more linear and coherent, with less polarity between the bass and upper midrange (although one could argue that was equally the charm of the Ares II).

Cadmus in turn has equally become more neutral compared to its predecessor and SPC's in general, especially in its upper midrange and treble which always tend to make SPC’s sound artificially bright, making them my least favourite type of wire when it comes to tonality. Cadmus in turn has a smoother and more neutral tone that is more reminiscent of quality silver wires.

By comparison, Ares S has a slightly warmer and smoother tonality than Cadmus. But in effect, their improvement in quality is ironically also somewhat of a downside – since both have become more linear and smoother, their respective differences have become smaller. Copper used to be ‘warm’ and SPC ‘bright’, but neither is particularly outspoken in either direction. Nevertheless, this is overall more a compliment to each cable when heard in isolation.

PXL_20230523_142513404.jpg

Difference between 4w and 8w
For listening I resorted to my trusted AK SP1K and Zeus-XIV and A18 which I’m guessing are probably antique by now :wink:

As mentioned, when listening to the 4w versions of either cable I find the overall SQ quite good when it comes to tonality. Going to the 8w variation does not change much in terms of their signature. A slight difference is that the upper midrange is a bit smoother on the 8w Cadmus compared to the 4w, especially with electronica where this range tends to be more pronounced and brighter.

I initially didn't hear any difference when it came to bass (quantity) on either cable, but later found the mid-bass to be more controlled and detailed in the 8w variations in tracks with higher quantities. The primary difference between the 8w and 4w variations is their staging. This becomes particularly apparent when going back to the 4w after listening to the 8w.

With the 4w, a lot of instruments are positioned in the center of the stage. There are certain notes or effects that arise at the extremes of the stage, which help to showcase its width. But effectively, the majority is placed in the central area, with the vocals rising above. Since the layering is not particularly well, it can become difficult to distinguish between instruments when there is increasing complexity in a track, resulting in detail getting lost in convolution – especially since the bass tightens this same space.

PXL_20230523_141657244~2.jpg

With the 8w instruments are positioned more naturally throughout the width of the stage, creating an airier and more spacious sound. The net effect is that detail is more apparent through the organization of the stage. In addition, the 8w shows improved dynamics and a blacker background, resulting in better place and rythm. In plain English, when switching between the 4w and 8w the 8w sounds a bit more livelier and rhythmic, compared to a relatively more 'flatter' sound of the 4w.

Looks & ergonomics
Besides sound, looks and ergonomics can be a driving factor to go for an 8 wire over a 4 wire. As with all 8 wires, the more robust look of the 8w Ares S and Cadmus has its own appeal (I have always been a sucker for a beautiful 8w). However, since both cables use wires with a relatively thick gauge, their 8w versions tend to be a bit heavier than standard. So for people that are sensitive to ergonomics this can be a downside, as you can feel the cables pull after a while.

TLDR;
Overall, the difference between the 4w and 8w SPC was that the 8w provides a more spacious and airier sound due to their soundstage, resulting in more detail – partially driven by a more controlled mid-bass. In addition, Cadmus 8w in particular has a smoother tonality than its 4w counterpart. However, their heavier weight makes them less ergonomic.

May 24, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #6,953 of 7,907
So I'm getting very faint sound from the right channel of my IEM's. Moving the cable around has no effect, no cutting in or out. Just the right side at 50% if not more of the volume of the left side. Just started happening last night, was working fine and I detached the cable to move around and when I plugged my IEM's back in the right side was very faint.

So is this likely the cable or the IEM's? I'm suspecting the IEM's but problem is I have no other cables or usable IEM's to test it with, so I figured I'd ask here before I start sending things in for RMA that don't need it.

May 24, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #6,954 of 7,907
So I'm getting very faint sound from the right channel of my IEM's. Moving the cable around has no effect, no cutting in or out. Just the right side at 50% if not more of the volume of the left side. Just started happening last night, was working fine and I detached the cable to move around and when I plugged my IEM's back in the right side was very faint.

So is this likely the cable or the IEM's? I'm suspecting the IEM's but problem is I have no other cables or usable IEM's to test it with, so I figured I'd ask here before I start sending things in for RMA that don't need it.
In this case I would bet on a failed driver. Since the cable would feed power to all drivers at once and if it cuts, would cut all.

I had a similar problem on my LX being much lower on one side. It had a mid frequency driver failure.

Last edited:
May 24, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #6,955 of 7,907
In this case I would bet on a failed driver. Since the cable would feed power to all drivers at once and if it cuts, would cut all.

I had a similar problem ok my LX being much lower on one side. It had a mid frequency driver failure.

Thanks. I kinda figured as well. Going to RMA the IEM's tomorrow. Need to find a replacement now

May 24, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #6,956 of 7,907

Why don’t you try left cable on the right iem and right on left. If the similar issue on the same iem, then it’s the iem issue.

May 25, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #6,959 of 7,907
I just bought an EA Ares S (8 wire) for my beloved Mest MKII, does anyone have this pairing? What should I expect from this cable and how does the sound change from the original PWaudio Copper M2? Thank you.

May 25, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #6,960 of 7,907
Not a fan of the upgraded Chiron. So those of use who bought it in the last year now have a "lesser" version?

If it was a whole new cable I wouldn't be upset but now to downgrade the cables we bought isn't right. Don't think I'll ever pay full price for an EA cable again now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back