Effect Audio cables thread
May 19, 2023 at 9:29 PM Post #6,931 of 7,910
Hi, I just got the Eros S, and the cable is very microphonic, especially on the Y-splitter. Like, I can’t even breathe because the cables would slightly rub my shirt and makes scratchy vibration. Anyone having the same problem? I have no problem with the stock U12T cable.

Ja, the Eros S's grey wire sleeve isn't as supple and silky smooth as the clear or black sleeves on other EA models. My Eros S grey wire finish is smooth though there is a slight hint roughness to it and its very noticeable where they contact my neck giving a scratchy sensation, but the ear hook sleeves are smoother than the wire sleeves. Perhaps the issue is the color or application of the grey color to the wire sleeve?

Microphonics are slight but not very noticeable with my use. Love Eros S and especially the grey color but I'll ding it on ergonomics.

May 20, 2023 at 5:05 AM Post #6,932 of 7,910
Faced with a problem, after 2 hours the cable began to cause discomfort, the ears began to hurt and blush.
Apparently it needs to be refined, you need to slightly change the shape of the shrink with the help of heating.
FiiO cables have better shrinkage, they are used softer and more elastic. Effect Audio the heat shrink is very thick and coarse.

May 20, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #6,933 of 7,910
I redone ...
On channel "L" it is correct.
On channel "R" (factory version) this is not correct and it can bring discomfort to many.
After the correction of shrinkage, I do not feel discomfort:beyersmile:
ps. once again I want to praise the MMCX connectors, they are wonderful! very high quality!
IMG_20230520_133524.jpg

Last edited:
May 21, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #6,934 of 7,910
Anyone knows if the Code23 plug would fit into the recessed PO of the iBasso Max series?

May 21, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #6,935 of 7,910
May 21, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #6,936 of 7,910
May 21, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #6,937 of 7,910
+1, fits perfectly. Eg, Liquid Links Venom does not due to it's over sized stylized plug.
Exactly! The odd shaped plug won't fit so i'm forced to look for a replacement now =..=

May 21, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #6,939 of 7,910
Having an immersive Sunday with improvisational instrumentals in DSD1024 with FiR Audio Xe6 + EA CODE23 (Performance). CODE23 opens up Xe6's full signature with a lush holographic soundstage – one of my favorite pairings.

IMG_0206.jpeg

May 22, 2023 at 12:29 AM Post #6,940 of 7,910
IMG_3050.jpg

Very late to the game for pairing Xe6 with Code 23 but I love it! Great synergy that accentuates everything that is good about the Xe6 and at the same time allowing more resolution up top! Stage seems to be increased also. Oh, SednaEarfit Xelastec - M tips allowing a better fit and seal! New found life for my Xe6! Love it!

May 22, 2023 at 6:48 AM Post #6,941 of 7,910
Eros S vs Cadmus 8-wire

20230522_192242.jpg

Eros S (left), Cadmus 8-wire Term-X (right), SP3K

@Auricon
I just got to test Cadmus 8-wire and Eros S side-by-side, albeit, Cadmus was in Term-X 2.5 and Eros S was terminated in regular 2.5mm so not the most ideal comparison.

Regardless, I found Cadmus 8-wire to be slightly more technical than Eros S. Cadmus 8-wire has a slightly more lush and organic sound signature with some kind of cushiony ambience in comparison. It's a little more spacious with better soundstage and sounds a tad less "intense" and more mature to my ears. All this is marginal as their technicality is very similar. Eros S seems to have a slightly "crisper" sound that is engaging in of itself.

I can't comment in regards to Ares S 8-wire as the only available one I have is terminated in 4.4. The sound is quite different and I've tested this by swapping out a cable in 2.5 Term-X module to 4.4 Term-X using SP3K.

20230502_211640.jpg

Cadmus 8-wire Founders Edition (try to find @Suyang and @JordonEA signature!)

20230502_211754.jpg

Also want to share a little sneak peak of this beauty with everyone.

This is Cadmus 8-wire Founders edition and it looks gorgeous under the right lighting haha

My first impression is juicy gorgeous mids while retaining the og Cadmus 8-wire signature. They're very similar in tonality but with a notable difference in their articulation of midrange. It's as if you've dipped the og Cadmus in honey for a sweeter and more seductive vocals.

My impression may change down the road, as I seek to keep an open mind through burn-in.

Last edited:
May 22, 2023 at 8:02 AM Post #6,942 of 7,910
So the serious game is officially opened :beerchug: :

Ares S 8w vs Ares S Founders Edition (referred here as "FE" ; 8w too, 04-10 worldwide units only, numeroted and signed, yeah ! :sweat_smile:) :

PXL_20230522_092958987~2.jpg

PXL_20230522_093233773~2.jpg

PXL_20230522_093422160~2.jpg

Some details for a quite complexe structure and blend of diverse conductive metals :

PXL_20230522_123906683~2.jpg

So aesthetically, these two (big) cables (AWG 24 x 8) are two authentic stunners... but the Founders Edition is just ultra gorgeous. The standard version is "just" gorgeous. It is said :sunglasses:

More seriously, the FE version is much less coppery colored than the regular full copper version, with just a hint of gold shimmer on some wires, and distinctly silvery for the remaining two wires throughout the recipe (the palladium-plated ones). The jack 4.4mm for the FE version is the well known pure gold plated copper plug made by Pentaconn.

Ergonomics are the same : excellent. Big cables but very manageable, pliable, supple... Ears hooks are very well made. In my world : perfect.

And then sonically wise ?... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Well, a little historical perspective.

For a raison, and after having tried or owned around 20 different cables with my Aure Ringo's (whatever the prices : Code 51, PW 1950, Orpheus, Oc Studio Frozen, Aaw Aoraki, PS Tricopper, GPS, Rhapsodio Graphene, Cema Twt, Pipa, Penon Totem, etc, etc, etc.), the best result I got so far was with......... the regular Ares S 8w....

Matter of fact, period. So be it. 🤘

The Aure Ringo's (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aure-audio-ringo.961804/) are for me the epitome of discrete (but super high) technicalities articulated with peerless musicality.

Notably, the tones, timbres, are to die for : realistic and in a word, natural. The rest of the sound is super balanced. This is my personal (musical) reference. Unfortunately, it was a shooting star. Discontinued, and only 4 pairs produced ever. 😭😇

By the way, for a reason, the couple with the Ares S 8w is essentially... Perfect. Everything : powerful, lush, bold, dynamic, slappy, extended (soundstage and bandwidth)... Made in heaven. A true miracle. 😎

There is here a sort of magic spell at work, which is just addictive. No other cable has achieved the same sorcery trick (to be honest, just a super expensive Rhapsodio pure Copper cable : 5000 USD, really... have achieve before the same magic results 🤤 ; no direct comparison, only by memory). I don't know why...🤔

About the Ares S Founders Edition, Suyang himself have had this statement :

"Using Ares S as a base and the drive to explore synergies with exotic materias, Suyang’s preferred blend Ares S Founder's Edition was born.
Ares S Founder's Edition is Ares S mixed with a Copper Gold alloy and an Exotic Palladium Plated Copper. You can expect an Ares S on steroids - one that brings out a more dynamic sound with an extended soundstage."

Obviously, I was very interested, and by an inconceivable game of chance, I was able to get my hands on this famous "Founders Edition". The 4th, out of only 10 cables produced worldwide.

One word about Suyang's statement : TRUE. 😎🤘

Yes, the Founders Edition is a little more powerful and energised than the regular 8w version (which is really powerful and energised 😅). It is more airy and separated too. Not the holographic kind, but, sort of, by a hair. 👌

The FE is above all a little more precise, solid, more outlined (delineated) and defined than the standard version. The latter is also a little more "diffuse", as a result, and a little more mid centric (less balanced) and softer (rounded ? although this is crystal clear and very vivid) in its general rendition. The FE version is more bass powered, articulated and dense, and basically more "complete" (balanced, or extended ? All the bandwidth) than the regular 8w version.

It is a little more technical than the regular version, very slightly to the detriment of the charm, especially on human voices (this mid centric - very - addictive treat 🥰).

So it is tiny and in the end, the FE version is more... complete, achieved and sophisticated than the standard 8w version. That's the 3 best words to describe the difference between the two versions as I think.

It is challenging to decide, as they share the same DNA... If the FE version is rated 100, the regular 8w version is easily rated 90 plus. Even better.

So no clear winner and obviously, if we resonate exclusively in terms of value for money, the FE version is very poorly placed. 🫣

But we will have understood that this is not the subject :

This is pure pleasure for the aesthete I am, the collector and let's face it, perfectionism pushed to its climax. 😇🤩

In a few words, this is my opinion... which of course is solely my opinion, and as regards the synergies at stake as a whole system described here above. 🥳👍

Last edited:
May 22, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #6,943 of 7,910
Eros S vs Cadmus 8-wire

20230522_192242.jpg

@Auricon
I just got to test Cadmus 8-wire and Eros S side-by-side, albeit, Cadmus was in Term-X 2.5 and Eros S was terminated in regular 2.5mm so not the most ideal comparison.

Regardless, I found Cadmus 8-wire to be slightly more technical than Eros S. Cadmus 8-wire has a slightly more lush and organic sound signature with some kind of cushiony ambience in comparison. It's a little more spacious with better soundstage and sounds a tad less "intense" and more mature to my ears. All this is marginal as their technicality is very similar. Eros S seems to have a slightly "crisper" sound that is engaging in of itself.

I can't comment in regards to Ares S 8-wire as the only available one I have is terminated in 4.4. The sound is quite different and I've tested this by swapping out a cable in 2.5 Term-X module to 4.4 Term-X using SP3K.

20230502_211640.jpg

20230502_211754.jpg

This is Cadmus 8-wire Founders edition and it looks gorgeous under the right lighting haha

My first impression is juicy gorgeous mids while retaining the og Cadmus 8-wire signature. They're very similar in tonality but with a notable difference in their articulation of midrange. It's as if you've dipped the og Cadmus in honey for a sweeter and more seductive vocals.

My impression may change down the road, as I seek to keep an open mind through burn-in.

@SteveK27 Thank you and appreciate the comparisons mon ami! Sounds like I should complete the Signature 8w set 🤭

IMG_3050.jpg
Very late to the game for pairing Xe6 with Code 23 but I love it! Great synergy that accentuates everything that is good about the Xe6 and at the same time allowing more resolution up top! Stage seems to be increased also. Oh, SednaEarfit Xelastec - M tips allowing a better fit and seal! New found life for my Xe6! Love it!

Sharing an umami Monday with XE6 + CODE23 and @yaps66

IMG_1525.JPG

May 22, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #6,944 of 7,910
Eros S vs Cadmus 8-wire

20230522_192242.jpg

@Auricon

20230502_211640.jpg

20230502_211754.jpg

The Cadmus 8W Founders Edition sounds really interesting. I realise it’s early days but I like how you are describing it so far. I’m looking forward to hearing this cable.

May 22, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #6,945 of 7,910
Eros S vs Cadmus 8-wire

20230522_192242.jpg

@Auricon

20230502_211640.jpg

20230502_211754.jpg

So the serious game is officially opened :beerchug: :

Ares S 8w vs Ares S Founders Edition (referred here as "FE" ; 8w too, 04-10 worldwide units only, numeroted and signed, yeah ! :sweat_smile:) :

PXL_20230522_092958987~2.jpg
PXL_20230522_093233773~2.jpg
PXL_20230522_093422160~2.jpg

Some details for a quite complexe structure and blend of diverse conductive metals :

PXL_20230522_123906683~2.jpg

So aesthetically, these two (big) cables (AWG 24 x 8) are two authentic stunners... but the Founders Edition is just ultra gorgeous. The standard version is "just" gorgeous. It is said :sunglasses:

More seriously, the FE version is much less coppery colored than the regular full copper version, with just a hint of gold shimmer on some wires, and distinctly silvery for the remaining two wires throughout the recipe (the palladium-plated ones). The jack 4.4mm for the FE version is the well known pure gold plated copper plug made by Pentaconn.

Ergonomics are the same : excellent. Big cables but very manageable, pliable, supple... Ears hooks are very well made. In my world : perfect.

And then sonically wise ?... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Well, a little historical perspective.

For a raison, and after having tried or owned around 20 different cables with my Aure Ringo's (whatever the prices : Code 51, PW 1950, Orpheus, Oc Studio Frozen, Aaw Aoraki, PS Tricopper, GPS, Rhapsodio Graphene, Cema Twt, Pipa, Penon Totem, etc, etc, etc.), the best result I got so far was with......... the regular Ares S 8w....

Matter of fact, period. So be it. 🤘

The Aure Ringo's (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aure-audio-ringo.961804/) are for me the epitome of discrete (but super high) technicalities articulated with peerless musicality.

Notably, the tones, timbres, are to die for : realistic and in a word, natural. The rest of the sound is super balanced. This is my personal (musical) reference. Unfortunately, it was a shooting star. Discontinued, and only 4 pairs produced ever. 😭😇

By the way, for a reason, the couple with the Ares S 8w is essentially... Perfect. Everything : powerful, lush, bold, dynamic, slappy, extended (soundstage and bandwidth)... Made in heaven. A true miracle. 😎

There is here a sort of magic spell at work, which is just addictive. No other cable has achieved the same sorcery trick (to be honest, just a super expensive Rhapsodio pure Copper cable : 5000 USD, really... have achieve before the same magic results 🤤 ; no direct comparison, only by memory). I don't know why...🤔

About the Ares S Founders Edition, Suyang himself have had this statement :

"Using Ares S as a base and the drive to explore synergies with exotic materias, Suyang’s preferred blend Ares S Founder's Edition was born.
Ares S Founder's Edition is Ares S mixed with a Copper Gold alloy and an Exotic Palladium Plated Copper. You can expect an Ares S on steroids - one that brings out a more dynamic sound with an extended soundstage."

Obviously, I was very interested, and by an inconceivable game of chance, I was able to get my hands on this famous "Founders Edition". The 4th, out of only 10 cables produced worldwide.

One word about Suyang's statement : TRUE. 😎🤘

Yes, the Founders Edition is a little more powerful and energised than the regular 8w version (which is really powerful and energised 😅). It is more airy and separated too. Not the holographic kind, but, sort of, by a hair. 👌

The FE is above all a little more precise, solid, more outlined (delineated) and defined than the standard version. The latter is also a little more "diffuse", as a result, and a little more mid centric (less balanced) and softer (rounded ? although this is crystal clear and very vivid) in its general rendition. The FE version is more bass powered, articulated and dense, and basically more "complete" (balanced, or extended ? All the bandwidth) than the regular 8w version.

It is a little more technical than the regular version, very slightly to the detriment of the charm, especially on human voices (this mid centric - very - addictive treat 🥰).

So it is tiny and in the end, the FE version is more... complete, achieved and sophisticated than the standard 8w version. That's the 3 best words to describe the difference between the two versions as I think.

It is challenging to decide, as they share the same DNA... If the FE version is rated 100, the regular 8w version is easily rated 90 plus. Even better.

So no clear winner and obviously, if we resonate exclusively in terms of value for money, the FE version is very poorly placed. 🫣

But we will have understood that this is not the subject :

This is pure pleasure for the aesthete I am, the collector and let's face it, perfectionism pushed to its climax. 😇🤩

In a few words, this is my opinion... which of course is solely my opinion, and as regards the synergies at stake as a whole system described here above. 🥳👍

Here it goes...Now we are talking real juicy.

Like fine dining, the careful selection of ingredients and how to mix them is what will make an special and unique experience.

I can't wait to hear them. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back