Effect Audio cables thread
May 14, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #6,902 of 7,919
Oh? Is it like a special request?
Haven’t seen anything on the website.
Might aswell ask if i can get a longer cable too :)
TermX should be available for an additional $80 according to this post (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/effect-audio-signature-series-gets-an-update.965357/post-17201828), but you are correct, I don’t see it as a drop-down option on the EA website for the Signature Series line.

The Ares S 8W is a thick cable, although I have used it with my portable setup. You will notice the extra weight compared to the 4W version. For an extra $20 though I do also suggest checking out the Eros S. I absolutely love the aesthetics of this cable and it is also lighter than the Ares S 8W. Sonically it combines the best of the Ares & Cadmus cables. It’s also an even better value if you take advantage of the Mother’s Day deal which includes the portable carrying case ($79 value).

May 14, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #6,903 of 7,919
Hallo Leute, ich möchte einen ersten Eindruck vom Ares S 8w teilen. Ich habe es für den Dunu Zen Pro gekauft. Der Dunu war mir mit seinen Akkordkabeln zu heiß. Also habe ich es mit einem Hakugei-Kupferkabel versucht. Das hat mich in die richtige Richtung gewiesen. Nach langem Überlegen wurde ein Ares angeordnet. Jetzt kann ich die Dunu wirklich hören. Die Höhen sind beruhigt, die Stimmen klar und der Bass wie aus einer anderen Welt. Ich bin total süchtig nach diesem Paar, man ist in die Musik versunken und es ist schwer aufzuhören. Alle meine anderen IEMs klingen jetzt langweilig. Ich hätte nicht erwartet, dass mich die Ares so sehr verzaubern würden, ich bin begeistert davon. Mit Google übersetzt. Mfg Jörg

May 14, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #6,904 of 7,919
Ares S 8 : pliable and very confortable. 😎😉

It remains a big cable. Really.

But... Pliable and very confortable. 🙏🥰🤘
When you guys say pliable do you mean that it behaves like a regular cable? Aka i don’t have to bend it by hand?

Guess i worry too much 😁

Thanks to the other user for the suggestion about the eros.
To be fair i’m kinda lost on what cable to get now as i don’t want to “downgrade” too much but can’t really afford an upgrade either.
Many people swear by copper only but i’m not sure

May 14, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #6,905 of 7,919
Is there maybe a possibility that someone can weigh Chiron 8w? That would help a lot in a purchase decision.

From my guesstimate, Chiron 8W weighs about as much as a 6 wire Ares II or a 5 wire Cleo II. You’d be surprised on how light they are for an 8W cable but that’s because they have far fewer thin strands than any of the EA OCTA Cable out there. Centurion is slightly heavier but still very light compared to Cleo and Ares 8W

Last edited:
May 14, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #6,906 of 7,919
Wenn ihr „biegsam“ sagt, meint ihr damit, dass es sich wie ein normales Kabel verhält? Aka, ich muss es nicht von Hand biegen?

Ich schätze, ich mache mir zu viele Sorgen 😁

Vielen Dank an den anderen Benutzer für den Vorschlag zu den Eros.
Um ehrlich zu sein, weiß ich nicht, welches Kabel ich jetzt kaufen soll, da ich nicht zu viel „downgraden“ möchte, mir aber auch kein Upgrade leisten kann.
Viele Leute schwören nur auf Kupfer, aber ich bin mir nicht sicher
Hallo, welches Kabel musst du anhand deines Iems entscheiden. Hören Sie sie mit dem Originalkabel an und überlegen Sie, in welche Richtung Sie sie lenken möchten. Wenn die Höhen zu giftig sind, dann Kupfer (Ares), wenn sie zu dunkel sind, dann Silber (Eros). Gefallen sie dir so wie sie sind, dann die Mitte (Cadmus). Letztlich kann man mit keinem der drei etwas falsch machen und mit ConX sind sie sehr flexibel. Übersetzung mit Google. Mfg Jörg

May 14, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #6,907 of 7,919
When you guys say pliable do you mean that it behaves like a regular cable? Aka i don’t have to bend it by hand?

Guess i worry too much 😁

Thanks to the other user for the suggestion about the eros.
To be fair i’m kinda lost on what cable to get now as i don’t want to “downgrade” too much but can’t really afford an upgrade either.
Many people swear by copper only but i’m not sure
Two words :

Good ergonomics 😉

I am very picky about that.

Two other words :

No problems 👍

May 14, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #6,908 of 7,919
I'm curious, is it true EA do not make shielded cables?

Recently I was chatting with another Head-Fier who's a well-known cable aficionado and the topic of shielded IEM cables came up. We agreed they seem to deliver a blacker background, but it's difficult to say if this is some sort of psychoacoustic phenomena or purely placebo.

My understanding is that EA choose not produce shielded IEM cables but instead focus on other aspects of cable construction such as geometry & materials choice to achieve higher performance.

May 14, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #6,909 of 7,919
I'm curious, is it true EA do not make shielded cables?

Recently I was chatting with another Head-Fier who's a well-known cable aficionado and the topic of shielded IEM cables came up. We agreed they seem to deliver a blacker background, but it's difficult to say if this is some sort of psychoacoustic phenomena or purely placebo.

My understanding is that EA choose not produce shielded IEM cables but instead focus on other aspects of cable construction such as geometry & materials choice to achieve higher performance.

Never actually seen a shielded EA Cable myself, but no complaints at all in terms of "black background" which to me is a function of DAP or amplifier used rather than cables itself. For example, Chord Mojo is susceptible to nearby phones on 4G/5G and EA cables will easily transmit that to IEMs.

PS: My A&K SP2000 DAP is shielded enough that everything that sounds of it has exceptional black background and the only way to defeat its noise shielding is to purposely create a ground loop by not earthing yourself while the SP2000 is charging and you're listening to it with its USB DAC functionality. Once you ground yourself though, it's pitch black again

May 16, 2023 at 11:22 PM Post #6,910 of 7,919
Effect Audio Stay updated on Effect Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/effectaudiosg/ https://twitter.com/EffectAudio https://www.instagram.com/effectaudio/ http://www.effectaudio.com/ https://wa.me/message/A64BKXQECHD4E1 info@effectaudio.com
May 17, 2023 at 12:19 AM Post #6,911 of 7,919
I've discussed Effect Audio in the past - I'm a satisfied user of several models of theirs, from relatively entry-level to higher up the food chain. Their products have always appealed to me as a rather good value proposition. I consider them among my favorite cable makers along with Toxic Cables, Charleston Cable Co, Cabledyne, and CablePro, for my various cable needs. Wow, I just wrote the word "cable" way too many times.

I know we have an existing thread but as the OP has long since been banned, I figured I might start a new one. It's particularly timely as Effect has a contest going which ends later this month. HERE is a link where they give more details. Now, I don't normally care much for contests, but in this case I like it because A) they are furthering the discussion rather than simply soliciting "likes", and B) the "prize" involved is a $999 cable - not bad, right? Typically this sort of thing would involve a $100 or $200 prize, rather than the top model. So I figure it is worth posting. Entries are due by the end of November and I'd love to see a forum member take home the prize. If you do, I expect pics!

Speaking of which, here are some various shots of my Effect arsenal. I've picked up quite a few of them over the years for my Audeze LCD-2 and LCD-3, IEMs, and Mr Speakers headphones. Currently have some more on the way too. So, yeah, you could say I'm a fan.

I'll add some pics of my incoming models once they arrive. I've got a Thor Copper 16W on the way for my HD800 and an Eros Reference for my HE-1000, plus an Eros 8W which I'll primarily use with a Noble K10.

Anyone else have Effect cables? Please discuss or post pics.
The Gaea cable is so fresh I love it but wish it was 2pin

May 17, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #6,913 of 7,919
EA Signature Series –

20230417_104319.jpg

Cadmus 8-wire (left) / Ares S 8-wire (right)

About a month and a half ago, I’ve graciously been given the opportunity to demo EA’s new signature series cables – namely, the 8-wire version of their ubiquitous Ares-S and Cadmus that have been exceedingly popular within the entry market. To give some context, these were originally limited edition cables that were introduced last Winter as a special “Christmas bundle” — “limited”... until there was an influx of demand to make it a permanent option by those who were already fans of the original 4-wire version. This is what I call a true symbiotic relationship: one in which a company profits by responding to the calls of the market. And its eye catching price makes it easier to digest as one of the cheapest 8-wire cables offered by a major competing brand. In my previous Code 23 review, I urged companies to start taking steps to lower the price floor that bars newcomers from entering the hobby, so thank you EA for continuously taking consideration of the general audiophiles whose funds may be more limited than the most hardcore and devout enthusiasts.

With that being said, I’d like to share my impression of EA’s newest Signature series cables that I hope everyone would find of value. This has taken an embarrassingly long time to get to, so thank you @JordonEA for the patience and generosity given. And as always, this is just one audiophile’s impression so please take it as a grain of salt :innocent:

20230417_110916.jpg

Cadmus 8-wire

20230417_113821.jpg

Ares S 8-wire

Ares S 8-wire (copper) / Cadmus 8-wire (SPC) Impressions –
(40hrs. burn-in)
Tested on Sp3K + Rs8 → Viking Ragnar

Ares-S and Cadmus 8-wire have a powerful and robust sound. They aim for a much more upfront and full bodied presentation than the lean and delicate touch of their flagship counterparts. There is this sense of boldness that conveys a gesture of weight and body, but it's not one that I find overpowering to be inducing fatigue. Rather, it’s some sort of gestalt that seems to help in its dynamic delivery traversing from one note to another. Both cables pose a hint of high-clarity vividness – but one that leans closer to a tonal quality rather than an assertion of technical competence. These have been the general descriptions so far, in which they showcase quite a few similarities here and there. But they do have their intrinsic differences that denote back to their cable geometry, which is where I’d like to affirm from here on out that they are most certainly complementary in spite of a few shared DNAs.

Ares-S is a pure copper cable whereas Cadmus is a silver-plated copper cable. Moving beyond their obvious aesthetic difference, Cadmus aims for a leaner and brighter presentation with a slightly more emphasis in the upper frequency and less volume in midbass quantity. Their center-imaging is quite different as well, in which Cadmus effectively disperses notes better across the stage, whereas Ares-S sounds more confined within the center of my head. This helps Cadmus give the impression as a “lighter” and ethereal sound between the two – but keep in mind “light” is relative only within the context of this comparison. Cadmus 8-wire is still more weighted in body than cables like Chiron. The beauty of Ares-S comes in its pure copper-timbre, as it's closer to a warm vivid tonality that captivates you in an emotive hi-fi richness rather than serenading you in a heated chocolatey fervor. Both cables have some sort of a vivified persona that I find them teetering the lines of maturity and excitement at the same time.

If you’re fan of the original 4-wire versions, you can best be assured that the difference going from 4-wire to 8-wire remains primarily in its technical knack and presentation. Their tonal character remains almost identical, so you can most certainly imagine that you’re essentially getting the same flavor. The 8-wire versions (for both Ares-S and Cadmus) offer a fuller, grander, and more forward presentation that elevates its dynamics by at least a notch. Both the 4-wire versions are comparatively leaner whereas the 8-wire versions have more grunt and physicality in their attacks. The “upgrade” is less of an elegant refinement and more about injecting steroids to the overall presentation. If this may be of appeal for you, I would most certainly recommend the 8-wire over the original 4-wire versions.

20230508_185224.jpg

Code 23 (Pentaconn OFC variant) – borrowing from a friend @KKNAYANA

20230508_185755.jpg

Ear Hooks

With the release of the 8-wire Signature series, I’ve seen quite a few Head-fiers ruminate between Code 23 and the reinforced Ares S and Cadmus cables.

Code 23 (Pentaconn OFC variant) has a comparatively neutral tuning that poses a striking balance from sounding neither too lean nor full. To my ears, it is one of the cleanest and most color-less copper cables I’ve heard that ventures in line from entering any colorful tonality. “Reference-like neutrality” is how I would describe its signature, and it adamantly places itself ahead of the Signature series in every technical department. There is a noticeable enhancement in its detail retrieval where I’m “seeing” its scenic landscape in a cleaner and more resolving manner. Vocals come across more revealing without any forceful elevation of the frequency; and instruments position themselves more precisely in their own respective compartments. There’s simply more space and air in its presentation, neither of which I can give as much praise for the Signature series. Code 23 excels in providing a more holographic imaging, whereas the Signature series stays constrained to the conventional X and Y-axis soundfield.

If I had to categorize the three cables :

Tonal character
Cadmus 8-wire (bright-“er”) → Code 23 (neutral) → Ares-S 8-wire (warm)

Technicality
Code 23 (1st) → Cadmus 8-wire (2nd) → Ares-S 8-wire (3rd)

Weight / Ergonomics
Cadmus 8-wire = Ares-S 8-wire → Code 23 (heavier and more rigid)

Amongst the three, my personal fit issues with Code 23 have resorted me to using Cadmus 8-wire the most. But strictly for audiophile listening, I very much prefer the clean and revealing signature of Code 23.

20230508_185533.jpg

I’m a strong advocate of synergy when it comes to attaining musical phenomena. I’ve yet to come across a single cable that “does the deed” in every possible pairings. Thus, this is my reminder that none of the aforementioned cables supersede one over another as each holds a unique attribute that’s appreciable as its own. For those who are curious, I would encourage to give them a trial as they are a statement piece that one does not need to spend an exorbitant amount to enjoy music. All three cables are excellent in their own rights and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them to any newcomers who would like a taste of how cables can enhance a sonic performance.

Thank you so much for reading and I hope this was informative to anybody who has been curious :)

Always very humbling to be able to share a piece of my thoughts with everyone.

May 17, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #6,914 of 7,919
EA Signature Series –

20230417_104319.jpg
Cadmus 8-wire (left) / Ares S 8-wire (right)

About a month and a half ago, I’ve graciously been given the opportunity to demo EA’s new signature series cables – namely, the 8-wire version of their ubiquitous Ares-S and Cadmus that have been exceedingly popular within the entry market. To give some context, these were originally limited edition cables that were introduced last Winter as a special “Christmas bundle” — “limited”... until there was an influx of demand to make it a permanent option by those who were already fans of the original 4-wire version. This is what I call a true symbiotic relationship: one in which a company profits by responding to the calls of the market. And its eye catching price makes it easier to digest as one of the cheapest 8-wire cables offered by a major competing brand. In my previous Code 23 review, I urged companies to start taking steps to lower the price floor that bars newcomers from entering the hobby, so thank you EA for continuously taking consideration of the general audiophiles whose funds may be more limited than the most hardcore and devout enthusiasts.

With that being said, I’d like to share my impression of EA’s newest Signature series cables that I hope everyone would find of value. This has taken an embarrassingly long time to get to, so thank you @JordonEA for the patience and generosity given. And as always, this is just one audiophile’s impression so please take it as a grain of salt :innocent:

20230417_110916.jpg
Cadmus 8-wire

20230417_113821.jpg
Ares S 8-wire

Ares S 8-wire (copper) / Cadmus 8-wire (SPC) Impressions –
(40hrs. burn-in)
Tested on Sp3K + Rs8 → Viking Ragnar

Ares-S and Cadmus 8-wire have a powerful and robust sound. They aim for a much more upfront and full bodied presentation than the lean and delicate touch of their flagship counterparts. There is this sense of boldness that conveys a gesture of weight and body, but it's not one that I find overpowering to be inducing fatigue. Rather, it’s some sort of gestalt that seems to help in its dynamic delivery traversing from one note to another. Both cables pose a hint of high-clarity vividness – but one that leans closer to a tonal quality rather than an assertion of technical competence. These have been the general descriptions so far, in which they showcase quite a few similarities here and there. But they do have their intrinsic differences that denote back to their cable geometry, which is where I’d like to affirm from here on out that they are most certainly complementary in spite of a few shared DNAs.

Ares-S is a pure copper cable whereas Cadmus is a silver-plated copper cable. Moving beyond their obvious aesthetic difference, Cadmus aims for a leaner and brighter presentation with a slightly more emphasis in the upper frequency and less volume in midbass quantity. Their center-imaging is quite different as well, in which Cadmus effectively disperses notes better across the stage, whereas Ares-S sounds more confined within the center of my head. This helps Cadmus give the impression as a “lighter” and ethereal sound between the two – but keep in mind “light” is relative only within the context of this comparison. Cadmus 8-wire is still more weighted in body than cables like Chiron. The beauty of Ares-S comes in its pure copper-timbre, as it's closer to a warm vivid tonality that captivates you in an emotive hi-fi richness rather than serenading you in a heated chocolatey fervor. Both cables have some sort of a vivified persona that I find them teetering the lines of maturity and excitement at the same time.

If you’re fan of the original 4-wire versions, you can best be assured that the difference going from 4-wire to 8-wire remains primarily in its technical knack and presentation. Their tonal character remains almost identical, so you can most certainly imagine that you’re essentially getting the same flavor. The 8-wire versions (for both Ares-S and Cadmus) offer a fuller, grander, and more forward presentation that elevates its dynamics by at least a notch. Both the 4-wire versions are comparatively leaner whereas the 8-wire versions have more grunt and physicality in their attacks. The “upgrade” is less of an elegant refinement and more about injecting steroids to the overall presentation. If this may be of appeal for you, I would most certainly recommend the 8-wire over the original 4-wire versions.

20230508_185224.jpg
Code 23 (Pentaconn OFC variant) – borrowing from a friend @KKNAYANA

20230508_185755.jpg
Ear Hooks

With the release of the 8-wire Signature series, I’ve seen quite a few Head-fiers ruminate between Code 23 and the reinforced Ares S and Cadmus cables.

Code 23 (Pentaconn OFC variant) has a comparatively neutral tuning that poses a striking balance from sounding neither too lean nor full. To my ears, it is one of the cleanest and most color-less copper cables I’ve heard that ventures in line from entering any colorful tonality. “Reference-like neutrality” is how I would describe its signature, and it adamantly places itself ahead of the Signature series in every technical department. There is a noticeable enhancement in its detail retrieval where I’m “seeing” its scenic landscape in a cleaner and more resolving manner. Vocals come across more revealing without any forceful elevation of the frequency; and instruments position themselves more precisely in their own respective compartments. There’s simply more space and air in its presentation, neither of which I can give as much praise for the Signature series. Code 23 excels in providing a more holographic imaging, whereas the Signature series stays constrained to the conventional X and Y-axis soundfield.

If I had to categorize the three cables :

Tonal character

Technicality

Weight / Ergonomics
Cadmus 8-wire = Ares-S 8-wire → Code 23 (heavier and more rigid)

Amongst the three, my personal fit issues with Code 23 have resorted me to using Cadmus 8-wire the most. But strictly for audiophile listening, I very much prefer the clean and revealing signature of Code 23.

I’m a strong advocate of synergy when it comes to attaining musical phenomena. I’ve yet to come across a single cable that “does the deed” in every possible pairings. Thus, this is my reminder that none of the aforementioned cables supersede one over another as each holds a unique attribute that’s appreciable as its own. For those who are curious, I would encourage to give them a trial as they are a statement piece that one does not need to spend an exorbitant amount to enjoy music. All three cables are excellent in their own rights and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them to any newcomers who would like a taste of how cables can enhance a sonic performance.

Thank you so much for reading and I hope this was informative to anybody who has been curious :)

Always very humbling to be able to share a piece of my thoughts with everyone.

Great read as always mon ami!

How would you rank Eros S across the 3 in tonal and technicality, knowing you may have to go from memory?

Tonal character

Technicality

May 17, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #6,915 of 7,919
My New Year's Resolution was to not buy cables – clearly it's been challenging keeping that resolution especially with the recent Mother's Day sale 🤭

Today's arrival, Eros S, expanding my Signature Series line up and EA cable cache to 3.

Initial impressions, I note a defined soundstage that isn't as expansive as Code 23 or Cleo II OCTA but there's nice depth and black background with nice instrument separation and layering.

Enjoying how well it brings out the texture and nuances of vocals and percussions on tracks like Oscar Jerome's "Timeless",featuring Lianne La Havas – track builds from 01:20 are immersive.

Tidal
https://tidal.com/browse/track/151009007

Apple Music

Moving to Oliver's "Heterotopia", featuring Yelle, is filled with silky French vocals and deep synth vibes. After 2 hours of playback, Eros is settling in quite nicely. Looks like I'll need to pick up Cadmus 8W to complete the series 🤭

Tidal
https://tidal.com/browse/track/79234913

Apple Music

IMG_1455.JPG

IMG_1458.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back