Effect Audio cables thread
May 17, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #6,916 of 7,919
Great read as always mon ami!

How would you rank Eros S across the 3 in tonal and technicality, knowing you may have to go from memory?
Hi my dearest friend šŸ„°

I promise to get back to you on this as I embarrassingly forgot to add Eros S in my comparison review. I do have a general idea on top of my head, but I'd like to A/B them first so I don't provide any erroneous impression

May 17, 2023 at 10:28 PM Post #6,917 of 7,919
Hi my dearest friend šŸ„°

I promise to get back to you on this as I embarrassingly forgot to add Eros S in my comparison review. I do have a general idea on top of my head, but I'd like to A/B them first so I don't provide any erroneous impression

No rush mon ami :blush:

I found your Code 23 review and comparison to Eros S. I do agree with your assessment that
Eros S may be a competent cable at its price range, but there is a clear reduction in soundstage when compared next to the Code 23. It sounds as if the walls of sound are more caved into my own head instead of expanding out to give a wide field-like presentation.

Eros' soundstage reduction is very distinct when paired RN6, especially large LSO orchestral or operas, and in comparison to Code 23 and Cleo II OCTA. Not that it's a critique of Eros S which is as you stated ā€“ competent in its price range and I'll add competitive. And many electronica tracks I frequent weren't recorded to simulate large soundstages. Eros S does transmit lovely textures and forward vocals. Perhaps with more "seasoning" sesh, Eros will open up more around 50-100 hours.

Thank you again!

Last edited:
May 18, 2023 at 1:02 AM Post #6,918 of 7,919
Ultra rarity plus ultra rarity = ultra ultra rarityĀ² ? šŸ˜‡šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‰

PXL_20230518_041003091~2.jpg

Endgame mode engaged šŸ˜ŽšŸ‘

Aure Audio Ringo (this version, constructed only for me : one unit worldwide šŸ˜‡ ; four other units were produced, but a little bit... different these other units : some tiny details - The Devil lies in the details... šŸ˜ˆ - are actually different here) and the Mighty Ares S Founders Edition (10 units worldwide were made, this one is the 4th)....

Absolute exclusivity: true luxury. šŸŽ‰šŸ˜

More to come about the sound and a direct comparison between the Ares S 8w STD, and this Founders Edition.

šŸ‘šŸ„°šŸ„°šŸ„°šŸ‘

Last edited:
May 18, 2023 at 1:36 AM Post #6,919 of 7,919
EA Signature Series ā€“

20230417_104319.jpg
Cadmus 8-wire (left) / Ares S 8-wire (right)

About a month and a half ago, Iā€™ve graciously been given the opportunity to demo EAā€™s new signature series cables ā€“ namely, the 8-wire version of their ubiquitous Ares-S and Cadmus that have been exceedingly popular within the entry market. To give some context, these were originally limited edition cables that were introduced last Winter as a special ā€œChristmas bundleā€ ā€” ā€œlimitedā€... until there was an influx of demand to make it a permanent option by those who were already fans of the original 4-wire version. This is what I call a true symbiotic relationship: one in which a company profits by responding to the calls of the market. And its eye catching price makes it easier to digest as one of the cheapest 8-wire cables offered by a major competing brand. In my previous Code 23 review, I urged companies to start taking steps to lower the price floor that bars newcomers from entering the hobby, so thank you EA for continuously taking consideration of the general audiophiles whose funds may be more limited than the most hardcore and devout enthusiasts.

With that being said, Iā€™d like to share my impression of EAā€™s newest Signature series cables that I hope everyone would find of value. This has taken an embarrassingly long time to get to, so thank you @JordonEA for the patience and generosity given. And as always, this is just one audiophileā€™s impression so please take it as a grain of salt :innocent:

20230417_110916.jpg
Cadmus 8-wire

20230417_113821.jpg
Ares S 8-wire

Ares S 8-wire (copper) / Cadmus 8-wire (SPC) Impressions ā€“
(40hrs. burn-in)
Tested on Sp3K + Rs8 ā†’ Viking Ragnar

Ares-S and Cadmus 8-wire have a powerful and robust sound. They aim for a much more upfront and full bodied presentation than the lean and delicate touch of their flagship counterparts. There is this sense of boldness that conveys a gesture of weight and body, but it's not one that I find overpowering to be inducing fatigue. Rather, itā€™s some sort of gestalt that seems to help in its dynamic delivery traversing from one note to another. Both cables pose a hint of high-clarity vividness ā€“ but one that leans closer to a tonal quality rather than an assertion of technical competence. These have been the general descriptions so far, in which they showcase quite a few similarities here and there. But they do have their intrinsic differences that denote back to their cable geometry, which is where Iā€™d like to affirm from here on out that they are most certainly complementary in spite of a few shared DNAs.

Ares-S is a pure copper cable whereas Cadmus is a silver-plated copper cable. Moving beyond their obvious aesthetic difference, Cadmus aims for a leaner and brighter presentation with a slightly more emphasis in the upper frequency and less volume in midbass quantity. Their center-imaging is quite different as well, in which Cadmus effectively disperses notes better across the stage, whereas Ares-S sounds more confined within the center of my head. This helps Cadmus give the impression as a ā€œlighterā€ and ethereal sound between the two ā€“ but keep in mind ā€œlightā€ is relative only within the context of this comparison. Cadmus 8-wire is still more weighted in body than cables like Chiron. The beauty of Ares-S comes in its pure copper-timbre, as it's closer to a warm vivid tonality that captivates you in an emotive hi-fi richness rather than serenading you in a heated chocolatey fervor. Both cables have some sort of a vivified persona that I find them teetering the lines of maturity and excitement at the same time.

If youā€™re fan of the original 4-wire versions, you can best be assured that the difference going from 4-wire to 8-wire remains primarily in its technical knack and presentation. Their tonal character remains almost identical, so you can most certainly imagine that youā€™re essentially getting the same flavor. The 8-wire versions (for both Ares-S and Cadmus) offer a fuller, grander, and more forward presentation that elevates its dynamics by at least a notch. Both the 4-wire versions are comparatively leaner whereas the 8-wire versions have more grunt and physicality in their attacks. The ā€œupgradeā€ is less of an elegant refinement and more about injecting steroids to the overall presentation. If this may be of appeal for you, I would most certainly recommend the 8-wire over the original 4-wire versions.

20230508_185224.jpg
Code 23 (Pentaconn OFC variant) ā€“ borrowing from a friend @KKNAYANA

20230508_185755.jpg
Ear Hooks

With the release of the 8-wire Signature series, Iā€™ve seen quite a few Head-fiers ruminate between Code 23 and the reinforced Ares S and Cadmus cables.

Code 23 (Pentaconn OFC variant) has a comparatively neutral tuning that poses a striking balance from sounding neither too lean nor full. To my ears, it is one of the cleanest and most color-less copper cables Iā€™ve heard that ventures in line from entering any colorful tonality. ā€œReference-like neutralityā€ is how I would describe its signature, and it adamantly places itself ahead of the Signature series in every technical department. There is a noticeable enhancement in its detail retrieval where Iā€™m ā€œseeingā€ its scenic landscape in a cleaner and more resolving manner. Vocals come across more revealing without any forceful elevation of the frequency; and instruments position themselves more precisely in their own respective compartments. Thereā€™s simply more space and air in its presentation, neither of which I can give as much praise for the Signature series. Code 23 excels in providing a more holographic imaging, whereas the Signature series stays constrained to the conventional X and Y-axis soundfield.

If I had to categorize the three cables :

Tonal character
Cadmus 8-wire (bright-ā€œerā€) ā†’ Code 23 (neutral) ā†’ Ares-S 8-wire (warm)

Technicality
Code 23 (1st) ā†’ Cadmus 8-wire (2nd) ā†’ Ares-S 8-wire (3rd)

Weight / Ergonomics
Cadmus 8-wire = Ares-S 8-wire ā†’ Code 23 (heavier and more rigid)

Amongst the three, my personal fit issues with Code 23 have resorted me to using Cadmus 8-wire the most. But strictly for audiophile listening, I very much prefer the clean and revealing signature of Code 23.

20230508_185533.jpg

Iā€™m a strong advocate of synergy when it comes to attaining musical phenomena. Iā€™ve yet to come across a single cable that ā€œdoes the deedā€ in every possible pairings. Thus, this is my reminder that none of the aforementioned cables supersede one over another as each holds a unique attribute thatā€™s appreciable as its own. For those who are curious, I would encourage to give them a trial as they are a statement piece that one does not need to spend an exorbitant amount to enjoy music. All three cables are excellent in their own rights and I wouldnā€™t hesitate to recommend them to any newcomers who would like a taste of how cables can enhance a sonic performance.

Thank you so much for reading and I hope this was informative to anybody who has been curious :)

Always very humbling to be able to share a piece of my thoughts with everyone.
"The beauty of Ares-S comes in its pure copper-timbre, as it's closer to a warm vivid tonality that captivates you in an emotive hi-fi richness rather than serenading you in a heated chocolatey fervor. Both cables have some sort of a vivified persona that I find them teetering the lines of maturity and excitement at the same time."

Can't be more agreed šŸ‘

May 18, 2023 at 4:15 AM Post #6,920 of 7,919
Again :

"Iā€™m a strong advocate of synergy when it comes to attaining musical phenomena. Iā€™ve yet to come across a single cable that ā€œdoes the deedā€ in every possible pairings."

Same šŸ˜ŽšŸ‘ŒšŸ‘

May 18, 2023 at 7:49 AM Post #6,921 of 7,919
Ultra rarity plus ultra rarity = ultra ultra rarity ? šŸ˜‡šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‰

PXL_20230518_041003091~2.jpg

Endgame mode engaged šŸ˜ŽšŸ‘

Aure Audio Ringo (this version, constructed only for me : one unit worldwide šŸ˜‡ ; four other units were produced, but a little bit... different these other units : some tiny details - The Devil lies in the details... šŸ˜ˆ - are actually different here) and the Mighty Ares S Founders Edition (10 units worldwide were made, this one is the 4th)....

Absolute exclusivity: true luxury. šŸŽ‰šŸ˜

More to come about the sound and a direct comparison between the Ares S 8w STD, and this Founders Edition.

šŸ‘šŸ„°šŸ„°šŸ„°šŸ‘
cool... you finally get it. I sure it is a good experience for you as compare it with Ares S 8w

May 18, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #6,922 of 7,919
N
EA Signature Series ā€“

20230417_104319.jpg
Cadmus 8-wire (left) / Ares S 8-wire (right)

About a month and a half ago, Iā€™ve graciously been given the opportunity to demo EAā€™s new signature series cables ā€“ namely, the 8-wire version of their ubiquitous Ares-S and Cadmus that have been exceedingly popular within the entry market. To give some context, these were originally limited edition cables that were introduced last Winter as a special ā€œChristmas bundleā€ ā€” ā€œlimitedā€... until there was an influx of demand to make it a permanent option by those who were already fans of the original 4-wire version. This is what I call a true symbiotic relationship: one in which a company profits by responding to the calls of the market. And its eye catching price makes it easier to digest as one of the cheapest 8-wire cables offered by a major competing brand. In my previous Code 23 review, I urged companies to start taking steps to lower the price floor that bars newcomers from entering the hobby, so thank you EA for continuously taking consideration of the general audiophiles whose funds may be more limited than the most hardcore and devout enthusiasts.

With that being said, Iā€™d like to share my impression of EAā€™s newest Signature series cables that I hope everyone would find of value. This has taken an embarrassingly long time to get to, so thank you @JordonEA for the patience and generosity given. And as always, this is just one audiophileā€™s impression so please take it as a grain of salt :innocent:

20230417_110916.jpg
Cadmus 8-wire

20230417_113821.jpg
Ares S 8-wire

Ares S 8-wire (copper) / Cadmus 8-wire (SPC) Impressions ā€“
(40hrs. burn-in)
Tested on Sp3K + Rs8 ā†’ Viking Ragnar

Ares-S and Cadmus 8-wire have a powerful and robust sound. They aim for a much more upfront and full bodied presentation than the lean and delicate touch of their flagship counterparts. There is this sense of boldness that conveys a gesture of weight and body, but it's not one that I find overpowering to be inducing fatigue. Rather, itā€™s some sort of gestalt that seems to help in its dynamic delivery traversing from one note to another. Both cables pose a hint of high-clarity vividness ā€“ but one that leans closer to a tonal quality rather than an assertion of technical competence. These have been the general descriptions so far, in which they showcase quite a few similarities here and there. But they do have their intrinsic differences that denote back to their cable geometry, which is where Iā€™d like to affirm from here on out that they are most certainly complementary in spite of a few shared DNAs.

Ares-S is a pure copper cable whereas Cadmus is a silver-plated copper cable. Moving beyond their obvious aesthetic difference, Cadmus aims for a leaner and brighter presentation with a slightly more emphasis in the upper frequency and less volume in midbass quantity. Their center-imaging is quite different as well, in which Cadmus effectively disperses notes better across the stage, whereas Ares-S sounds more confined within the center of my head. This helps Cadmus give the impression as a ā€œlighterā€ and ethereal sound between the two ā€“ but keep in mind ā€œlightā€ is relative only within the context of this comparison. Cadmus 8-wire is still more weighted in body than cables like Chiron. The beauty of Ares-S comes in its pure copper-timbre, as it's closer to a warm vivid tonality that captivates you in an emotive hi-fi richness rather than serenading you in a heated chocolatey fervor. Both cables have some sort of a vivified persona that I find them teetering the lines of maturity and excitement at the same time.

If youā€™re fan of the original 4-wire versions, you can best be assured that the difference going from 4-wire to 8-wire remains primarily in its technical knack and presentation. Their tonal character remains almost identical, so you can most certainly imagine that youā€™re essentially getting the same flavor. The 8-wire versions (for both Ares-S and Cadmus) offer a fuller, grander, and more forward presentation that elevates its dynamics by at least a notch. Both the 4-wire versions are comparatively leaner whereas the 8-wire versions have more grunt and physicality in their attacks. The ā€œupgradeā€ is less of an elegant refinement and more about injecting steroids to the overall presentation. If this may be of appeal for you, I would most certainly recommend the 8-wire over the original 4-wire versions.

20230508_185224.jpg
Code 23 (Pentaconn OFC variant) ā€“ borrowing from a friend @KKNAYANA

20230508_185755.jpg
Ear Hooks

With the release of the 8-wire Signature series, Iā€™ve seen quite a few Head-fiers ruminate between Code 23 and the reinforced Ares S and Cadmus cables.

Code 23 (Pentaconn OFC variant) has a comparatively neutral tuning that poses a striking balance from sounding neither too lean nor full. To my ears, it is one of the cleanest and most color-less copper cables Iā€™ve heard that ventures in line from entering any colorful tonality. ā€œReference-like neutralityā€ is how I would describe its signature, and it adamantly places itself ahead of the Signature series in every technical department. There is a noticeable enhancement in its detail retrieval where Iā€™m ā€œseeingā€ its scenic landscape in a cleaner and more resolving manner. Vocals come across more revealing without any forceful elevation of the frequency; and instruments position themselves more precisely in their own respective compartments. Thereā€™s simply more space and air in its presentation, neither of which I can give as much praise for the Signature series. Code 23 excels in providing a more holographic imaging, whereas the Signature series stays constrained to the conventional X and Y-axis soundfield.

If I had to categorize the three cables :

Tonal character
Cadmus 8-wire (bright-ā€œerā€) ā†’ Code 23 (neutral) ā†’ Ares-S 8-wire (warm)

Technicality
Code 23 (1st) ā†’ Cadmus 8-wire (2nd) ā†’ Ares-S 8-wire (3rd)

Weight / Ergonomics
Cadmus 8-wire = Ares-S 8-wire ā†’ Code 23 (heavier and more rigid)

Amongst the three, my personal fit issues with Code 23 have resorted me to using Cadmus 8-wire the most. But strictly for audiophile listening, I very much prefer the clean and revealing signature of Code 23.

20230508_185533.jpg

Iā€™m a strong advocate of synergy when it comes to attaining musical phenomena. Iā€™ve yet to come across a single cable that ā€œdoes the deedā€ in every possible pairings. Thus, this is my reminder that none of the aforementioned cables supersede one over another as each holds a unique attribute thatā€™s appreciable as its own. For those who are curious, I would encourage to give them a trial as they are a statement piece that one does not need to spend an exorbitant amount to enjoy music. All three cables are excellent in their own rights and I wouldnā€™t hesitate to recommend them to any newcomers who would like a taste of how cables can enhance a sonic performance.

Thank you so much for reading and I hope this was informative to anybody who has been curious :)

Always very humbling to be able to share a piece of my thoughts with everyone.
Nice one mate.

I'm loving the Ares S 8W with Supermoon. it balanced out the sparkly and plasticky sound of it, rounding all edges. The problem is that I am liking it so much that I am forgetting to take notes...just enjoying it. :p

PS.: that may be a good thing right?

May 18, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #6,923 of 7,919
I'm shocked, by what a gorgeous cable it is.
I used a hairdryer, to align the right and left cables, from the factory were a little tight.
ConX MMCX connectors are excellent, they do not unscrew themselves.
I am very pleased with the purchase, CADMUS 8W + MMCX it came out to me for 262$, taking into account the exchange rate of my native currency and taking into account the cashback from the special service and my payment system. delivery to Russia is free and fast, 10 days, there was no customs duty. (I bought it on Aliexpress)
PS. The case included is superfluous, who uses it?! it would be better without it and cheaper.
IMG_20230518_115727.jpg

Last edited:
May 19, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #6,924 of 7,919
Hi, I just got the Eros S, and the cable is very microphonic, especially on the Y-splitter. Like, I canā€™t even breathe because the cables would slightly rub my shirt and makes scratchy vibration. Anyone having the same problem? I have no problem with the stock U12T cable.

Last edited:
May 19, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #6,925 of 7,919
Exploring new Cleo II OCTA synergies on a blue Indigo Friday. Cleo II OCTA bringing out the best of Indigo's BCD and improvements over stock PWA Copper M3.

IMG_0198.jpeg

May 19, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #6,926 of 7,919
Reporting in Code23 with Meze Elite. Finally my quest of searching cable comes to an end.

Had tried so many cables under $1000, some sounds really good actually (Lavri Grand Cable for example). However, nothing "move" my heart like Code 23. This cable surround me with solid full body sound, expansive soundstage, liquid smooth treble, but still retain transparent and clean through all spectrum. Midrange is indeed the best part.
As you have tested the lavri grand cable, did you also try out the cleo 2?
How do they compare?
Find it hard to find reviews on this

May 19, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #6,928 of 7,919
Hi, I just got the Eros S, and the cable is very microphonic, especially on the Y-splitter. Like, I canā€™t even breathe because the cables would slightly rub my shirt and makes scratchy vibration. Anyone having the same problem? I have no problem with the stock U12T cable.
Clearly no, strange šŸ¤”

Ares S 8w and FE for me.

Strange indeed šŸ«£

Users who are viewing this thread

Back