Effect Audio cables thread
Oct 13, 2018 at 4:26 AM Post #2,881 of 7,966
Thanks Deezel for answering that, though I'm not sure I follow you with regards to both being equally-resolving but one more detailed... isn't that the same thing?

You also make it sound like the comparison between Leo II and Horus is largely a matter of taste despite the latter being almost double the price - has Horus almost been rendered obsolete in the course of a year with the introduction of these new Palladium plated cables, much like Mars in a sense? No doubt they both still offer unique signatures, but its hard not to imagine most of EA's customers who are willing to fork out for a TOTL cable going straight for the new Palladium offerings especially as flavor-of-the-month is always a driver of sales in the audiophile world.

Ahh, my apologies. What I meant to say was the Horus was clearer and more defined; more crisp, so to speak. So, although they both retrieve high amounts of detail, the Horus makes them sound more apparent and clean, rather than the Leonidas’s lusher response. Though, the Horus does it without ever sounding harsh or thin, so that’s a massive achievement on its part.

I definitely wouldn’t call the Horus obsolete, because it bests the Leonidas in several areas outside of sheer resolve. The Horus has the Leonidas II’s visceral sub-bass, but in greater supply. It also has superior definition whilst maintaining similarly low fatigue. So, in a sense, it’s more refined in the treble, but some may not enjoy how elevated it is. Staging is also something I did not consider yet. From memory, the Horus has further expansion, but I can’t confidently say without a direct A/B. The Leonidas II certainly does not replace the Horus in any sense, but those who can’t afford the Horus and is looking for a similar sense of transparency, cleanliness and refinement can definitely look at the Leo II as an alternative.

Oct 13, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #2,882 of 7,966
I've just bought a pair of CA Andromeda iem's with their standard cable but also had to purchase an additional standard 2.5mm TRRS terminated cable as I use them with an AK70 Mkii dap. After a few days use I am considering upgrading the cable and was initially drawn to the Campfire Audio Reference 8, but a headfier has also suggested the EA Eros II.

So, I was wondering if anyone could share their opinion of the CA vs EA, or suggest an even more suitable EA cable over the Eros II?. I'm tempted to also enquire about eartips, but (being the wrong thread and) having tried a few I keep finding myself back with the CA Marshmallows, so I'm still experimenting and this morning I've also ordered some Comply TS-400, MandarinEs Symbio (Wide) and some random foam tips from China advertised as 'for Andromeda/Vega' and looking very similar to the Marshmallows, but at 4 pairs for £4.50 very cheap and possibly not very ideal, early days

T.I.A :)

Oct 13, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #2,883 of 7,966
I've just bought a pair of CA Andromeda iem's with their standard cable but also had to purchase an additional standard 2.5mm TRRS terminated cable as I use them with an AK70 Mkii dap. After a few days use I am considering upgrading the cable and was initially drawn to the Campfire Audio Reference 8, but a headfier has also suggested the EA Eros II.

So, I was wondering if anyone could share their opinion of the CA vs EA, or suggest an even more suitable EA cable over the Eros II?. I'm tempted to also enquire about eartips, but (being the wrong thread and) having tried a few I keep finding myself back with the CA Marshmallows, so I'm still experimenting and this morning I've also ordered some Comply TS-400, MandarinEs Symbio (Wide) and some random foam tips from China advertised as 'for Andromeda/Vega' and looking very similar to the Marshmallows, but at 4 pairs for £4.50 very cheap and possibly not very ideal, early days

T.I.A :)

Hi

What will be your budget for buying an upgrade cable?
I don’t recommend reference 8 since the cable itself is very stiff which leads to the ergonomic problem. I bought reference 8with my andromeda but I regret immediately since the earphone will just pop out constantly and the cable is too stiff to adjust.

Oct 13, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #2,884 of 7,966
Hi

What will be your budget for buying an upgrade cable?
I don’t recommend reference 8 since the cable itself is very stiff which leads to the ergonomic problem. I bought reference 8with my andromeda but I regret immediately since the earphone will just pop out constantly and the cable is too stiff to adjust.

Thanks, I have big ears so should be okay with the Ref8, but watching a couple of youtube videos left me wondering about the quality of the cable.
I'd like to keep the budget down to around the Eros II level, so guess that means I'd stretch to almost Lionheart pricing (or more) in reality if it would mean i'd sleep better at night

Oct 13, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #2,885 of 7,966
Thanks, I have big ears so should be okay with the Ref8, but watching a couple of youtube videos left me wondering about the quality of the cable.
I'd like to keep the budget down to around the Eros II level, so guess that means I'd stretch to almost Lionheart pricing (or more) in reality if it would mean i'd sleep better at night

I feel Lionheart will be the best choice you can get. I never tried Eros since I don’t really like the copper silver hybrid tonality. I tried Lionheart with a lot of BAs earphone(U12t,Hyla LA-1, VE6) I like how the synergy between Lionheart and BAs earphones.

Oct 13, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #2,886 of 7,966

I feel Lionheart will be the best choice you can get. I never tried Eros since I don’t really like the copper silver hybrid tonality. I tried Lionheart with a lot of BAs earphone(U12t,Hyla LA-1, VE6) I like how the synergy between Lionheart and BAs earphones.
Never owned the Ref 8 but its known for microphonics. Might as well spend the money on EA. If you enjoy vocals, stretch for the Lionheart, its well worth it.

Oct 13, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #2,887 of 7,966

I did consider sending the Forza Hybrid cable (similar construct to Eros) from my last set of iem's (Sennheiser IE80S) back to Poland for re-terminating(?) as it made a huge improvement over the OE cable but don't want the associated Russian Roulette/stress. Will look at the Lionheart though wondering why it has it's very own section on their webpage. Also just noticed EA are today promoting the launch of "Leonidis II" (pre-order), I've read early on this thread of a few Andromeda owners opting for this cable

Oct 13, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #2,888 of 7,966
I believe EA just close the pre-order since batch 1is already sold out. I did some review post on this thread if you go back a little bit and you can find it. I will say Leo 2 is the best shot for you. I am now listening to the LA-1+Leo 2 combo which I love the most in my collections. I do recommend leo2 if you Have the budget. The tonality of leo2 is very elegant with much much detail nice treble extensions and tightening the bass.

Oct 13, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #2,889 of 7,966
I believe EA just close the pre-order since batch 1is already sold out. I did some review post on this thread if you go back a little bit and you can find it. I will say Leo 2 is the best shot for you. I am now listening to the LA-1+Leo 2 combo which I love the most in my collections. I do recommend leo2 if you Have the budget. The tonality of leo2 is very elegant with much much detail nice treble extensions and tightening the bass.

That makes depressing sense as there's no hyperlink on the Leonidis pre-order ad :frowning2:

Oct 13, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #2,891 of 7,966
That makes depressing sense as there's no hyperlink on the Leonidis pre-order ad :frowning2:
Nows a good time as any other to buy a Janus or Horus if you want to push to Leo II levels :p

Oct 13, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #2,893 of 7,966
@Deezel177 Much thanks for that detail. Definitely puts the Horus on my wishlist. The fact that Horus is only 4 wire at 26 AWG is also another factor.

If I go for Leo II, I will have to go 8 wire for sure, but at that price might as well get Horus.

Im not a fan of Janus requiring an adapter for 3.5mm and being 8 wires at 24 AWG, but curious the difference between it and the Aries II 8 wire.

@melons
Leo II is $888, Janus (8 wire only) is $1399 and Horus is $1599. Lionheart is $499. So its a pretty steep increase from Lionheart. Eros II is $279 (All 4 wire prices except for Janus). I personally prefer the 4 wire Lionheart, its cheaper than a 8 wire Eros II ($600).

@EffectAudio
Curious about the build time for a Horus. The page doesnt say anything about lead time.

Oct 13, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #2,894 of 7,966
@Deezel177 Much thanks for that detail. Definitely puts the Horus on my wishlist. The fact that Horus is only 4 wire at 26 AWG is also another factor.

If I go for Leo II, I will have to go 8 wire for sure, but at that price might as well get Horus.

Im not a fan of Janus requiring an adapter for 3.5mm and being 8 wires at 24 AWG, but curious the difference between it and the Aries II 8 wire.

@melons
Leo II is $888, Janus (8 wire only) is $1399 and Horus is $1599. Lionheart is $499. So its a pretty steep increase from Lionheart. Eros II is $279 (All 4 wire prices except for Janus). I personally prefer the 4 wire Lionheart, its cheaper than a 8 wire Eros II ($600).

@EffectAudio
Curious about the build time for a Horus. The page doesnt say anything about lead time.
Oh my god!
Those high prices are for headphones / IEM cables?
Did you hear all that difference?
You guys go to the extreme.
I recognize the difference to some extent through my phones like he-6, but not that much.
Sorry I didn't go through this thread, but I am very curious about how far human perception can go.

Oct 13, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #2,895 of 7,966
Oh my god!
Those high prices are for headphones / IEM cables?
Did you hear all that difference?
You guys go to the extreme.
I recognize the difference to some extent through my phones like he-6, but not that much.
Sorry I didn't go through this thread, but I am very curious about how far human perception can go.

It depends on your ears and your tastes especially if your budget can afford and you can satisfy your addiction... it is indefinitely! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back