Effect Audio cables thread
Oct 10, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #2,852 of 8,004
aresii(8w) vs pwaudio saladin (4w)

which one would pair best with Zeus XR ?

Oct 10, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #2,853 of 8,004
Really keen to hear how the Leonidas II stacks up against the original! From the gist of Marcus' review it almost sounds like technical performance may be similar but the new version delivers a more natural tone.

Oct 10, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #2,854 of 8,004
Marcus's review is that close to making me buy one beyond the aesthetic. But knowing silver cables also bring too much bass for my liking. Im going to sit on a few more to see.

Oct 11, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #2,855 of 8,004
32E26A25-9F63-4309-83EE-CEB225253C94.jpeg 34CEA8B7-4BE0-4A12-8935-C18701ACF7BB.jpeg 362717F9-7BE9-46D4-BE43-A781E6A29BCD.jpeg D818FB14-5656-4372-901A-B311E43277CC.jpeg
Hi guys
I want to share a review for the leonidas 2
I received the cable today and I can’t stop listen to the legend x+Leo 2 combo.
I like how it is a leo2 because everything is similar to the leo1 which give you smooth, elegant, nice treble extensions and better control of bass.
However, the improvement of leo2 is significant. The sound stage is bigger. The vocal become sweeter and come closer a little bit which gives a charming tonality.
The down side of Leo 2 is that Leo 2 lose too much bass quantity so you might lose too much bass with BA earphone. I also don’t like how the Y splitter has a awkward stitching.
So far the Leo 2 is my most favorite combo with my legend X. I am now looking forward to the Janus Basso to arrived and compete with leo2.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 1:52 AM Post #2,856 of 8,004
Hi guys
I like how it is a leo2 because everything is similar to the leo1 which give you smooth, elegant, nice treble extensions and better control of bass.
However, the improvement of leo2 is significant. The sound stage is bigger. The vocal become sweeter and come closer a little bit which gives a charming tonality.
The down side of Leo 2 is that Leo 2 lose too much bass quantity so you might lose too much bass with BA earphone. I also don’t like how the Y splitter has a awkward stitching.
So far the Leo 2 is my most favorite combo with my legend X. I am now looking forward to the Janus Basso to arrived and compete with leo2.

Thanks for your impressions. It would seem that if the Leo 2 does in fact attenuate some of the bass, then the Legend X still has plenty to spare. Did you test with any of the BA-based earphones as for how much bass is lost per your description? I've read a few posts/reviews about the Leo 2 and my general understanding is that it has resolution and clarity like the original, but has a more lively, satisfying sound and isn't as "cold." Sounds wonderful if I'm being honest :)

-Collin-

Oct 11, 2018 at 2:09 AM Post #2,857 of 8,004
Thanks for your impressions. It would seem that if the Leo 2 does in fact attenuate some of the bass, then the Legend X still has plenty to spare. Did you test with any of the BA-based earphones as for how much bass is lost per your description? I've read a few posts/reviews about the Leo 2 and my general understanding is that it has resolution and clarity like the original, but has a more lively, satisfying sound and isn't as "cold." Sounds wonderful if I'm being honest :)

-Collin-

Hi Collin
Leo2 definitely hold back the legend X bass in large quantity. I will try Leo 2 on Hyla Nerva X LA-1 tomorrow or tonight to see the reaction of leo 2+ LA-1. like I said Leo 2 has the similar tonality to Leo 1 and yes resolution and clarity are both improved by a big big portion. I even feel like Leo 2 beat my leo1+Thor II bespoke easily on clarity and resolution. The most improvement will be the vocal IMO. As I use Legend X+leo2 combo, it gives a really charming and sweet vocal. Be honest, I am waiting EA to open up the 8 wires upgrade since I feel like it will bring more detail and also the bass punch to the legend X.

hope my review helps

Vince

Oct 11, 2018 at 2:35 AM Post #2,858 of 8,004
Hi Collin
Leo2 definitely hold back the legend X bass in large quantity. I will try Leo 2 on Hyla Nerva X LA-1 tomorrow or tonight to see the reaction of leo 2+ LA-1. like I said Leo 2 has the similar tonality to Leo 1 and yes resolution and clarity are both improved by a big big portion. I even feel like Leo 2 beat my leo1+Thor II bespoke easily on clarity and resolution. The most improvement will be the vocal IMO. As I use Legend X+leo2 combo, it gives a really charming and sweet vocal. Be honest, I am waiting EA to open up the 8 wires upgrade since I feel like it will bring more detail and also the bass punch to the legend X.

hope my review helps

Vince

I am really happy to read your post because I am one of the few other people who own the Leo1+Thor II! I have the same cable, which I have sent back to EA to have upgraded to 8-wire, so mine will be 4 wires Leo and 4 wires Thor II. Well, I guess I am sad that it beat that in clarity and resolution :)

Leo2 8-wire will cost like $1,700 so let's not hope for that yet :)

-Collin-

Oct 11, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #2,859 of 8,004
I am really happy to read your post because I am one of the few other people who own the Leo1+Thor II! I have the same cable, which I have sent back to EA to have upgraded to 8-wire, so mine will be 4 wires Leo and 4 wires Thor II. Well, I guess I am sad that it beat that in clarity and resolution :)

Leo2 8-wire will cost like $1,700 so let's not hope for that yet :)

-Collin-

Hi Collin
I'm glad that we have the same taste of earphone and cable. I feel like we should be happy to see EA bring better product. I think I'm going to sell my leo and thor bespoke soon since I want my leo 2 as 8 wires. I can't even imagine how good will leo 2 8 wires resolution and clarity. I also order the Janus B and hopefully it will arrive next week and I will do a comparison for those two cables.
well I feel like it is worth it to pay for 8 wires so when it up for upgrade I want to be the first person in the planet to have the 8 wires leo 2

Oct 11, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #2,860 of 8,004
Hi Collin
I'm glad that we have the same taste of earphone and cable. I feel like we should be happy to see EA bring better product. I think I'm going to sell my leo and thor bespoke soon since I want my leo 2 as 8 wires. I can't even imagine how good will leo 2 8 wires resolution and clarity. I also order the Janus B and hopefully it will arrive next week and I will do a comparison for those two cables.
well I feel like it is worth it to pay for 8 wires so when it up for upgrade I want to be the first person in the planet to have the 8 wires leo 2

Cheers to that! I might be second person :)

Oct 11, 2018 at 4:05 AM Post #2,861 of 8,004

Hi guys

Vince, I noticed the ends of the Leather being slightly protruded. I personally feel that it's not satisfactory nor does it comply to our standards. I would like to have it exchanged if you would prefer to ; All costs on us of course. Ping me at my email - eric@effectaudio.com

-Eric

Effect Audio Stay updated on Effect Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/effectaudiosg/ https://twitter.com/EffectAudio https://www.instagram.com/effectaudio/ http://www.effectaudio.com/ https://wa.me/message/A64BKXQECHD4E1 info@effectaudio.com
Oct 11, 2018 at 4:15 AM Post #2,862 of 8,004
Marcus's review is that close to making me buy one beyond the aesthetic. But knowing silver cables also bring too much bass for my liking. Im going to sit on a few more to see.

Oh definitely not too much bass, there is a significant difference between it and the Thor Ii for instance in terms of bass quantity.

Oct 11, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #2,863 of 8,004

-Collin-

If I'm not mistaken, he referred to bass attenuation relative to Leo I, not that Leo II attenuates bass in general. I tested Leo 2 with LX last night, and my ears were still "bleeding" :D It's all a matter of a personal preference, especially if you are a basshead and enjoy LX tuning. With Leo 2, LX bass is tighter, more articulate, more focused, which to my ears gives it a little more power and control. For me personally, I preferred Ares II pair up with more decay in bass for a better blend in/transition into mids. But it's all a matter of a personal taste. There is NO right or wrong answer on this one :wink:

Oct 11, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #2,864 of 8,004
If I'm not mistaken, he referred to bass attenuation relative to Leo I, not that Leo II attenuates bass in general. I tested Leo 2 with LX last night, and my ears were still "bleeding" :D It's all a matter of a personal preference, especially if you are a basshead and enjoy LX tuning. With Leo 2, LX bass is tighter, more articulate, more focused, which to my ears gives it a little more power and control. For me personally, I preferred Ares II pair up with more decay in bass for a better blend in/transition into mids. But it's all a matter of a personal taste. There is NO right or wrong answer on this one :wink:

I always enjoy reading your thoughts Alex, especially since you are not afraid to say that for your preference a $200 cable paired better than a ~$900 cable :)

-Collin-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back