Effect Audio cables thread
Oct 11, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #2,866 of 8,004
If I'm not mistaken, he referred to bass attenuation relative to Leo I, not that Leo II attenuates bass in general. I tested Leo 2 with LX last night, and my ears were still "bleeding" :D It's all a matter of a personal preference, especially if you are a basshead and enjoy LX tuning. With Leo 2, LX bass is tighter, more articulate, more focused, which to my ears gives it a little more power and control. For me personally, I preferred Ares II pair up with more decay in bass for a better blend in/transition into mids. But it's all a matter of a personal taste. There is NO right or wrong answer on this one :wink:

You are definitely right I was comparing Leo 1. I actually tried the combo with LA-1+Leo2 last night and I found out that actually it’s not hold back the bass it’s getting a tighter and better quality of bass. The LA-1’s bass is still there but I feel bass is deeper and tighter. BTW, thank you Effect Audio for super fast response for my Y splitter.

Oct 11, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #2,867 of 8,004
.. for your preference a $200 cable paired better than a ~$900 cable :)

Lol some of us would call that a mediocum of sanity in a hobbyist community of lunatics. Preference >>>>>Cost is a good thing. I prefer Low Cost > Preference.

I love the aesthetic EA has going, but I can't justify something thats almost 50% the cost of my IEMs AND really doesnt tune the sound to my cup of tea. I'm kinda glad that I like copper and it's relatively cheaper compared to gold and silver wires.

Eric probably gonna read that and tell me to get the Janus D

Oct 11, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #2,868 of 8,004
Lol some of us would call that a mediocum of sanity in a hobbyist community of lunatics. Preference >>>>>Cost is a good thing. I prefer Low Cost > Preference.

I love the aesthetic EA has going, but I can't justify something thats almost 50% the cost of my IEMs AND really doesnt tune the sound to my cup of tea. I'm kinda glad that I like copper and it's relatively cheaper compared to gold and silver wires.

Eric probably gonna read that and tell me to get the Janus D

I think it just really depends on how people like. I rather choose gold silver alloy than copper because the charming vocal and better of treble extensions. I wish that I like the taste of copper lol because like you said it’s way cheaper.

Oct 11, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #2,869 of 8,004
I think it just really depends on how people like. I rather choose gold silver alloy than copper because the charming vocal and better of treble extensions. I wish that I like the taste of copper lol because like you said it’s way cheaper.

Well if you can afford it, then yes preference is ideal. But when you're a Canadian and the MRSP is always multipled by a factor of 1.3, things get expensive VERY fast. So price first for me.

Preference wise, being able to demo the goods is key. Relying on the conglomeration of reviews on Headphonelist and Headfi is somewhat good of a reference point but at the same time shouldn't be completely relied upon.. And in Canada, dealers for anything are more elusive than the Dodo bird. While I do like vocals and treble extensions, I much rather spend a bit more on a good pair of IEMs that do both of those well and requires a bit of warmth overall. Silver tends to work well with warm signatures but also pushes the bass to a point I absolutely hate.Gold...is just expensive. It would cost me less to get that kind IEM and pair with copper to achieve the same thing as I would with a gold silver alloy cable with a warmer IEM.

Oct 11, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #2,870 of 8,004
Here's the full review of Leonidas II on Headfonia:

https://www.headfonia.com/review-effect-audio-leonidas-2/

Effect-Audio-Leonidas-2-18.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #2,871 of 8,004
looking for an ares ii (8 wire) , in 2-pin and 4.4 mm termination

if a EU member is thinking of selling it (probably to go for something better/more expensive) hit me up

cheers

Oct 12, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #2,875 of 8,004
Oct 12, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #2,876 of 8,004
Thanks for your fantastic review Deezel, I was really looking forward to this one. Your photography is also amazing and you've highlighted how classy the new Y-split looks.

Quick question please if I may - how do you feel the Leonidas II compares for resolution & detail retrival to the Janus and Horus?

Oct 12, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #2,877 of 8,004
Only if it means you're buying a Leo II. Which for me, would only be if I buy the Phantom.
Jokes on you xD we all know it's only a matter of time before that happens

Oct 12, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #2,878 of 8,004
Jokes on you xD we all know it's only a matter of time before that happens
Yeah, its a bit early for April Fools, but its gonna happen.

Oct 13, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #2,879 of 8,004
Thanks for your fantastic review Deezel, I was really looking forward to this one. Your photography is also amazing and you've highlighted how classy the new Y-split looks.

Quick question please if I may - how do you feel the Leonidas II compares for resolution & detail retrival to the Janus and Horus?

Thanks for the kind words, my friend! I definitely worked hard photo-wise to make sure they looked as close to real-life as possible, so I'm glad that came through.

In terms of note resolution, I think the Janus D has the slight edge for the reasons I mentioned in the review. Notes are more cleanly separated from each other because the 8-wire design allows more headroom. By the same hand, the Janus D's background seems further away, so the details appear and decay more freely almost. But, the Leonidas II is certainly not far behind. I spoke to Eric the first time I listened to it and told him that this was the closest I've gotten to an 8-wire experience with a 4-wire cable - only rivalled by PWAudio's 2-wire 1960s (which, by the way, is currently being reterminated to 4.4mm, so I can't compare it with the Leo II for now - I will when I get it back). But in terms of detail retrieval, the Leo II and Janus D are on the same playing field - the former because of a slightly brighter, more articulate treble and the latter because of the aforementioned spatial advantages. Of course, this means the Leo II has a slightly brighter touch in its details, while the Janus D is more tonally transparent; colourless.

I haven't heard the Horus in a while, but I think the Leo II may be an equally-resolving cable; not as detailed though. The Horus certainly has more clarity because of its lifted upper-treble, but it runs the risk of sounding thin and a touch grainy in the midrange with the wrong pairing. The Leo II is a thicker, richer-sounding cable, but it compensates with excellent speed, so transparency is maintained. Personally, I think the differences between them in tone and note structure outweigh the discrepancies in detail and resolution. I'll have to give it another try to make sure.

Oct 13, 2018 at 2:34 AM Post #2,880 of 8,004
Thanks for the kind words, my friend! I definitely worked hard photo-wise to make sure they looked as close to real-life as possible, so I'm glad that came through.

In terms of note resolution, I think the Janus D has the slight edge for the reasons I mentioned in the review. Notes are more cleanly separated from each other because the 8-wire design allows more headroom. By the same hand, the Janus D's background seems further away, so the details appear and decay more freely almost. But, the Leonidas II is certainly not far behind. I spoke to Eric the first time I listened to it and told him that this was the closest I've gotten to an 8-wire experience with a 4-wire cable - only rivalled by PWAudio's 2-wire 1960s (which, by the way, is currently being reterminated to 4.4mm, so I can't compare it with the Leo II for now - I will when I get it back). But in terms of detail retrieval, the Leo II and Janus D are on the same playing field - the former because of a slightly brighter, more articulate treble and the latter because of the aforementioned spatial advantages. Of course, this means the Leo II has a slightly brighter touch in its details, while the Janus D is more tonally transparent; colourless.

I haven't heard the Horus in a while, but I think the Leo II may be an equally-resolving cable; not as detailed though. The Horus certainly has more clarity because of its lifted upper-treble, but it runs the risk of sounding thin and a touch grainy in the midrange with the wrong pairing. The Leo II is a thicker, richer-sounding cable, but it compensates with excellent speed, so transparency is maintained. Personally, I think the differences between them in tone and note structure outweigh the discrepancies in detail and resolution. I'll have to give it another try to make sure.
Thanks Deezel for answering that, though I'm not sure I follow you with regards to both being equally-resolving but one more detailed... isn't that the same thing?

You also make it sound like the comparison between Leo II and Horus is largely a matter of taste despite the latter being almost double the price - has Horus almost been rendered obsolete in the course of a year with the introduction of these new Palladium plated cables, much like Mars in a sense? No doubt they both still offer unique signatures, but its hard not to imagine most of EA's customers who are willing to fork out for a TOTL cable going straight for the new Palladium offerings especially as flavor-of-the-month is always a driver of sales in the audiophile world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back