Effect Audio cables thread
Sep 18, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #2,701 of 7,972
After going from the Janus D to an Ares II it really puts into perspective the sheer size of the Janus, that cable is a monster. I'm actually really liking the 4 wire set up again. It makes my CIEMs feel like they're non-existent whereas the Janus would weigh them down a bit and did cause some slight discomfort.

Now I'm unsure if I should stick with my regular Ares II or upgrade to the 8 wire? I know the Janus D is thicker than other 8 wire cables due to the 24 AWG wire but it does have me second guessing.

Thoughts?
Personally I love the 8-wires for listening at home and while I work, but I never use them for on-the-go. I have actually gone so far that I now often use my Final E2000 for on the go and am thinking about getting an extra thin cable for my Ei.3 to get an optimal setup for when I am out and about. I still have a thin cable from EA, but it needs to be re-terminated because it keeps cutting out. Had a friend fix it before, but I managed to break it again soon after.

Anyway, this all has sort of got me to the point where I want to get specific setups for either different music types, or type of use. My Ei.3 with a thin cable for on-the-go (currently Ares II or Lionheart 4W) or alternatively with the Ares II 8-wire for gaming (it is glorious!), my Saturn with a silver cable for moar bass, and my Phantom with Ares II/Eros II 8-wire for outright sound quality.

Not sure if this helps you, but I guess it is a good excuse to own multiple options. :D

Sep 18, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #2,702 of 7,972
Personally I love the 8-wires for listening at home and while I work, but I never use them for on-the-go. I have actually gone so far that I now often use my Final E2000 for on the go and am thinking about getting an extra thin cable for my Ei.3 to get an optimal setup for when I am out and about. I still have a thin cable from EA, but it needs to be re-terminated because it keeps cutting out. Had a friend fix it before, but I managed to break it again soon after.

Anyway, this all has sort of got me to the point where I want to get specific setups for either different music types, or type of use. My Ei.3 with a thin cable for on-the-go (currently Ares II or Lionheart 4W) or alternatively with the Ares II 8-wire for gaming (it is glorious!), my Saturn with a silver cable for moar bass, and my Phantom with Ares II/Eros II 8-wire for outright sound quality.

Not sure if this helps you, but I guess it is a good excuse to own multiple options. :D

98% of my listening is at home but even with be Janus and having my DAP on my desk I felt the cable weighing my IEMs down even with some slack allowed.

Sep 18, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #2,703 of 7,972
98% of my listening is at home but even with be Janus and having my DAP on my desk I felt the cable weighing my IEMs down even with some slack allowed.
I think @PinkyPowers uses a cable clip of some kind to take some of the weight. When I work I just let the cable rest on my desk and when I want to listen while cooking I sometimes use a clothes peg under the y-split to take the weight and keep the cable out of the way from all the knives and flying veg. :wink:

Sep 18, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #2,704 of 7,972
With the wm1z and 8 wire, I had no option but to lay flat on my back on my comfy couch, enjoy, nap a little...................oh, yeah...........!

Sep 18, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #2,705 of 7,972
With the wm1z and 8 wire, I had no option but to lay flat on my back on my comfy couch, enjoy, nap a little...................oh, yeah...........!
With that all you need is a comfy spot in the sun and life is perfect... :sunglasses:
e088778136d87eee4981d730c8cf7d0b.gif

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #2,707 of 7,972
I think @PinkyPowers uses a cable clip of some kind to take some of the weight. When I work I just let the cable rest on my desk and when I want to listen while cooking I sometimes use a clothes peg under the y-split to take the weight and keep the cable out of the way from all the knives and flying veg. :wink:

Yeah, lapel clips are essential to my enjoyment of IEMs.

Sep 18, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #2,708 of 7,972

You describe perfectly a situation I have: when it's time to go walk the dog, I shuffle through 10 pairs of IEMs and handfuls of cables with no appropriate ergonomic solutions. For this reason, I bought a Shure SE846 (my beater pair) for out and about and the SQ is good enough. My lord have I become a snob if I think the SE846 is a beater pair of IEMs. That said, I have an Eros II on the way as well for more "on the go" type use and that should solve a few problems.

Speaking of dogs, Tucker will be in a new outfit tonight :wink:

-Collin-

Sep 18, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #2,709 of 7,972
After going from the Janus D to an Ares II it really puts into perspective the sheer size of the Janus, that cable is a monster. I'm actually really liking the 4 wire set up again. It makes my CIEMs feel like they're non-existent whereas the Janus would weigh them down a bit and did cause some slight discomfort.

Now I'm unsure if I should stick with my regular Ares II or upgrade to the 8 wire? I know the Janus D is thicker than other 8 wire cables due to the 24 AWG wire but it does have me second guessing.

Thoughts?
I guess all those years of headbanging really helped develop those neck muscles 'coz I actually use my Phantom with the Janus D out of the WM1Z as my daily on the go setup. :laughing:

Sep 18, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #2,710 of 7,972
I'm pulling the trigger on the Leonidas upgrade and Eros upgrade. Good lord, I think it would have been more cost effective to fly one of the EA employees to my house, wine and dine them, then hand them a soldering iron...

giphy.gif

-Collin-

Sep 18, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #2,711 of 7,972
I'm pulling the trigger on the Leonidas upgrade and Eros upgrade. Good lord, I think it would have been more cost effective to fly one of the EA employees to my house, wine and dine them, then hand them a soldering iron...

-Collin-
How nice of you! I'd pass them the soldering iron before I pass the bottle, but they are pros after all!

FYI - MUSICTECK
I received an email from MT and they changed their mind and will NOT be participating in EA's Bespoke Upgrade Campaign, citing high shipping rates....tell us about it MT!!!

Sep 18, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #2,713 of 7,972
How nice of you! I'd pass them the soldering iron before I pass the bottle, but they are pros after all!

FYI - MUSICTECK
I received an email from MT and they changed their mind and will NOT be participating in EA's Bespoke Upgrade Campaign, citing high shipping rates....tell us about it MT!!!
Thanks for the update! I sent Musicteck an email this morning about that. Already have an order in the EA cart so I guess I'll proceed with that!

Sep 18, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #2,714 of 7,972
Oh my, only 50 bucks extra for the Psquared 3.5 mm. Really want to smack the upgrade button on the Aries II now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back