Effect Audio cables thread
Aug 16, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #2,506 of 7,919
*sigh* I have had the Thor II 8-wire 4.4mm for a month or so and I have reached the decision to let it go.

I recognise that this cable is excellent and technically better in a lot of areas than my default Ares II 4-wire, extension both ways is better, higher resolution, details more apparent and layering and air between instruments is phenomenal. Yet, despite of all this, for my music/taste the Ares suits me better.

So, for the EE Vantage the Ares works best for me but, I have to say that with the Rhapsodio Zombie the Thor is a freaking beast! Cleans it up real good and gives them a much needed treble extension while maintaining deep and controlled bass.

Just goes to show that no matter the price, materials etc your ears will be the final judge. Remember guys, synergy and taste can beat the most expensive combos out there!
That is a shame, but I too think that synergy is key to getting the most out of your gear. And on that note. Zombie with Thor II 8-wire... Wish I could have heard that! *drools* :D

ps. Are you enjoying the Zombie?

Aug 16, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #2,507 of 7,919
you are an asset to this community Daniel , and you are a good person (i am good at reading people , so kudos)

btw , Eos and Zeus match great and to think i am happy with a cable that i paid only 150$ for....good times.

Appreciate it, man. :)

Aug 16, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #2,508 of 7,919
That is a shame, but I too think that synergy is key to getting the most out of your gear. And on that note. Zombie with Thor II 8-wire... Wish I could have heard that! *drools* :D

ps. Are you enjoying the Zombie?

I am not sure tbh. I just went on a 14 day roadtrip in France and didn't bring them because...well they aren't mine so I didn't want to risk breaking them or something :stuck_out_tongue:

But now that I am home again I am giving them a thorough listen, initially I think they are boomy and weirdly thin in the upper treble...Just to stay on the EA track, the Ares II is bad match for them imo, they go too dark and muddy, and the Ares isn't even that warm for a copper.The Thor is a really good match though, brings out some more detail and treble. Too bad I don't own the RSD Silver Litz 8-wire anymore, I think that they'd match well.

I think I'll try the 8-wire Ares, if anyone here wants to let it go or trade for Thor 8-wire pm me :kissing_smiling_eyes:

Aug 16, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #2,510 of 7,919
I am not sure tbh. I just went on a 14 day roadtrip in France and didn't bring them because...well they aren't mine so I didn't want to risk breaking them or something :stuck_out_tongue:

But now that I am home again I am giving them a thorough listen, initially I think they are boomy and weirdly thin in the upper treble...Just to stay on the EA track, the Ares II is bad match for them imo, they go too dark and muddy, and the Ares isn't even that warm for a copper.The Thor is a really good match though, brings out some more detail and treble. Too bad I don't own the RSD Silver Litz 8-wire anymore, I think that they'd match well.

I think I'll try the 8-wire Ares, if anyone here wants to let it go or trade for Thor 8-wire pm me :kissing_smiling_eyes:
Those be boomy IEMs alright. I like boomy! :D

If you like Ares II, then the Ares II 8-wire will most likely work well for you too. It maintains the tonality quite well and adds more room for the music, lots of air and space, yet without sacrificing your connection to the music. That gives what I feel is a certain grandness to the music.

If you want a middle ground, then there is also Eros II to consider, as it combines Ares II with Thor Silver II. I loved the standard 4-wire and can't wait to try out the 8-wire.

Aug 16, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #2,511 of 7,919
Those be boomy IEMs alright. I like boomy! :D

If you like Ares II, then the Ares II 8-wire will most likely work well for you too. It maintains the tonality quite well and adds more room for the music, lots of air and space, yet without sacrificing your connection to the music. That gives what I feel is a certain grandness to the music.

If you want a middle ground, then there is also Eros II to consider, as it combines Ares II with Thor Silver II. I loved the standard 4-wire and can't wait to try out the 8-wire.

Ares II be like

kGSWBbC.gif

Seriously though, thanks. I think I'll stick with the Ares tonality, I am tired of trying to reach new heights (pun intended) and I want to focus on the music. Gear is fun and all but still just a tool for me. A vessel for tunes :)

Aug 16, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #2,512 of 7,919
Ares II be like

kGSWBbC.gif

Seriously though, thanks. I think I'll stick with the Ares tonality, I am tired of trying to reach new heights (pun intended) and I want to focus on the music. Gear is fun and all but still just a tool for me. A vessel for tunes :)
Can't say I blame you. I was just talking to Nic the other day that I seem to be suffering from a pathological condition called "reviewer", as I can't stop trying out different gear (and writing about it). :D

Aug 16, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #2,513 of 7,919
Can't say I blame you. I was just talking to Nic the other day that I seem to be suffering from a pathological condition called "reviewer", as I can't stop trying out different gear (and writing about it). :D

Well at least you put out some quality material, I have been so swamped by regular work that my backlog for reviews I have promised is dangerously high :weary:

Aug 16, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #2,514 of 7,919
You guys just keep writing! It sure helps a lazy ass like me with shopping! :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #2,515 of 7,919
Well at least you put out some quality material, I have been so swamped by regular work that my backlog for reviews I have promised is dangerously high :weary:
You'll catch up again. Just sit back, kick up your feet and let the music inspire you. Also, make sure you always have a notebook with you. Sometimes I get great ideas at the weirdest times and if I don't write them down I forget about them. (I actually wrote down the idea for my PhD project at 03:00 (AM) with my wife wondering why the hell I was trying to find a pen and paper at that time. She is used to it now.)

Aug 20, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #2,517 of 7,919
What happens if one goes through all the trouble to get a PS plug, but uses adapters to fit different jacks? I see the new Janus cable is exclusive to using pigtailed adapters. I only ask because so many reviewers have spoken highly of the PS plugs and not sure where the "magic" happens.

Aug 20, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #2,519 of 7,919
What happens if one goes through all the trouble to get a PS plug, but uses adapters to fit different jacks? I see the new Janus cable is exclusive to using pigtailed adapters. I only ask because so many reviewers have spoken highly of the PS plugs and not sure where the "magic" happens.

To me the magic happens mostly based on the high quality of wire and the soldering lead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back