Effect Audio cables thread
Aug 20, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #2,521 of 7,919
What happens if one goes through all the trouble to get a PS plug, but uses adapters to fit different jacks? I see the new Janus cable is exclusive to using pigtailed adapters. I only ask because so many reviewers have spoken highly of the PS plugs and not sure where the "magic" happens.

The pigtail adapters use PSquared connectors and sockets as well, so the magic should theoretically be preserved. @San Man was able to order one with a 4.4mm connector as well, so I'm sure Bespoke orders aren't out of the question.

Aug 20, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #2,522 of 7,919
What happens if one goes through all the trouble to get a PS plug, but uses adapters to fit different jacks? I see the new Janus cable is exclusive to using pigtailed adapters. I only ask because so many reviewers have spoken highly of the PS plugs and not sure where the "magic" happens.
That's an interesting point! If, in fact, there is a significant difference in sq with the PS plug, I would have to think there might be some level of degradation if the pigtails use different type connectors. So maybe optimal sq is only available with a 2.5mm jack. I haven't heard a cable with the PS plug, so my opinion is pure speculation.

Aug 20, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #2,523 of 7,919
The pigtail adapters use PSquared connectors and sockets as well, so the magic should theoretically be preserved. @San Man was able to order one with a 4.4mm connector as well, so I'm sure Bespoke orders aren't out of the question.

Yes, I did :p

When I pre-ordered it, I contacted Eric @ Effect Audio and asked to have the plug terminated in 4.4mm. Was no problem at all for them :)

Aug 20, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #2,524 of 7,919
*sigh* I have had the Thor II 8-wire 4.4mm for a month or so and I have reached the decision to let it go.

I recognise that this cable is excellent and technically better in a lot of areas than my default Ares II 4-wire, extension both ways is better, higher resolution, details more apparent and layering and air between instruments is phenomenal. Yet, despite of all this, for my music/taste the Ares suits me better.

So, for the EE Vantage the Ares works best for me but, I have to say that with the Rhapsodio Zombie the Thor is a freaking beast! Cleans it up real good and gives them a much needed treble extension while maintaining deep and controlled bass.

Just goes to show that no matter the price, materials etc your ears will be the final judge. Remember guys, synergy and taste can beat the most expensive combos out there!

THIS!!!!!!! 2 Channel, Headphones or portable community. It's ALL Synergy and YOUR OWN ears. Reviewers can only share so much info. It's up to YOU to decide what sounds best in your system. @Blommen thankyou, thankyou, thankyou. The last sentence should be pinned on any equipment thread on this board, lol. Sorry for the rant, but add your DAP"s, DAC/amps etc... into this equation also. Especially for the newbies who don't know any of the IEM's, cables or players. Read as much as can from all the wonderful reviewers on this and headphonia and then whittle it down. Try to get on the tours too. I have 2 awesome 64 Audio IEM's in house this week and it's been fun.

.... negative!
Leo definitely reduces nothing :D Right now it's my favourite pairing (Phantom/Leo/Hugo2) and i'm a bass fanatic. Bass is satisfyingly right on point. No doubt.

Been told the same by a few folks so far. Thanks for sharing. I"m thinking long and hard about getting the 8 wire Ares II I think it is.

^^ Pfft, well you'd be zero fun at DL

Nate, I don't have to even leave the room at DL to have the 'MAGIC" :wink:.....HA HA....(I can even have her dress like Mini Mouse if I want to. I've seen the adult costumes, lol :)

Aug 20, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #2,525 of 7,919
EB3D9969-BE1C-4F33-85CC-D2761586C868.jpeg
380FE8A1-5D08-4479-BC12-CC5F5F32DBC3.jpeg
*sigh* I have had the Thor II 8-wire 4.4mm for a month or so and I have reached the decision to let it go.

I recognise that this cable is excellent and technically better in a lot of areas than my default Ares II 4-wire, extension both ways is better, higher resolution, details more apparent and layering and air between instruments is phenomenal. Yet, despite of all this, for my music/taste the Ares suits me better.

So, for the EE Vantage the Ares works best for me but, I have to say that with the Rhapsodio Zombie the Thor is a freaking beast! Cleans it up real good and gives them a much needed treble extension while maintaining deep and controlled bass.

Just goes to show that no matter the price, materials etc your ears will be the final judge. Remember guys, synergy and taste can beat the most expensive combos out there!
May I suggest Thor and ares, I has those 2 cables and decide to combine it together and to my surprise it sound exceptional well when pair with Phantom, especially in the lower end and clarity in the high

Aug 20, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #2,528 of 7,919

In lieu of the resounding successes in recent shows & exhibitions as well as our "NDP Promo", Effect Audio would like to thank all our customers and friends for the support and massive love shown!

It's come to the time of the year for another round of EA Bonanza! We will be giving out 2x 'Bespoke' Ares II 8 wires for this giveaway campaign!!

Participation Period : 21st Aug - 4th Sept

1) LIKE & SHARE our Facebook Post
2) SUBSCRIBE our newsletter on www.effectaudio.com
3) SUBSCRIBE to our EA Official Thread on HeadFi

We will be announcing the lucky winners in the week of the 4th September.​

Effect Audio Stay updated on Effect Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/effectaudiosg/ https://twitter.com/EffectAudio https://www.instagram.com/effectaudio/ http://www.effectaudio.com/ https://wa.me/message/A64BKXQECHD4E1 info@effectaudio.com
Aug 21, 2018 at 1:01 AM Post #2,529 of 7,919
Got my (3.5mm) Ares 2 for Acoustune HS1551CU. Ordered Toxic Cables BW first, but Frank did not make it. Overall I am quite happy with the purchase. I wanted to raise upper mids and treble and clarity that is what I got. First I did not like the reduction of lows, as these iem especially with stock cable are incredibly thick and warm and robust yet soft in lows. Stock cable shows lots of instrumental texture in lower mids and upper bass, but the bass is simply overwhelming and tonality too warm with it. This was changed with Ares 2. There is occassional rumble and the bass remains kinda soft, but with right albums it reminds me of the capability of these iems in lower spectrum. Gone is the texture focus and bass monsterness, but what I got in exchange is more neutral and balanced tonality with airy feeling, that makes these very much musical single DD iems sound even more coherent. As I said, with right albums the bass and lower mids show muscles, just not always and always and always as with stock cable.. which is a good thing. And there is a nice touch to the sound of notes. So to sum it up, I like Ares 2 and I prefer it to stock cable. It ain’t perfect, as it takes away most of the texture display in lower mids, but it gives something in exchange and I like what it is.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2018 at 6:25 AM Post #2,530 of 7,919
Thanks Eric for doing this. It's actually a really cool deal that you are giving away such a great cable. Good luck to everyone. I bet this thread is about to blow up, lol. :)

Aug 21, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #2,531 of 7,919
Just out of curiosity, is the Leonidas 22 or 26AWG? I've been wondering how its' ergonomics compare with something like the Thor II.

Also has anyone tried out the new carbon fiber Y-splitters yet? I'm hoping they're smaller & lighter than the old ones.

Aug 21, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #2,532 of 7,919
Just out of curiosity, is the Leonidas 22 or 26AWG? I've been wondering how its' ergonomics compare with something like the Thor II.

Also has anyone tried out the new carbon fiber Y-splitters yet? I'm hoping they're smaller & lighter than the old ones.

I’m pretty sure they’re 26 AWG; same gauge as all their non-plus cables. The new Y-split is smaller, but more dense. In my experience, it doesn’t get in the way as much and it’s less prone to bouncing around when walking.

Aug 21, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #2,533 of 7,919
I’m pretty sure they’re 26 AWG; same gauge as all their non-plus cables. The new Y-split is smaller, but more dense. In my experience, it doesn’t get in the way as much and it’s less prone to bouncing around when walking.
Thanks Deezel177, I'd hoped the new Y-splits were lighter than the old full-size ones which seem unnecessarily heavy. I can't help but think wood might be a better choice, given hardwoods like ebony are renowned for having favorable acoustic resonance properties and are lighter than metal. Probably much more difficult to source in bulk though.

Aug 21, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #2,534 of 7,919
Thanks Deezel177, I'd hoped the new Y-splits were lighter than the old full-size ones which seem unnecessarily heavy. I can't help but think wood might be a better choice, given hardwoods like ebony are renowned for having favorable acoustic resonance properties and are lighter than metal. Probably much more difficult to source in bulk though.

They once made half-metal-half-wood Y-splits for their China-only limited edition cable. I doubt we’ll see any more of it unless we ask very, very loudly. :D

127B7D6F-D92B-4B6E-9F95-3D14A4E4F907.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back