Edition 8 - my first hands on impression
Jul 9, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #121 of 142
Finally some impressions. Seems like they still have the Ultrasone sound signature
smily_headphones1.gif

But I didn´t got an answer you are running unamped from your computer and you aren´t getting any problem with blurry bass or uncontrolled treble, bass? I can listen to my Pro 900 unamped but it does get muddier and more V-shaped then. Though the Ed 8 is marketed as portable. Much heavier so then the ED 9 for example and thus they may not grow that much with amplification? As for no sibilance not even on sibilance ridden recordings?

My only experience with tubes was the EF-1 hybrid and well I didn´t like that much. Most that runs Ultrasones seem to use solid state amps I do have noticed.

Jul 9, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #122 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally some impressions. Seems like they still have the Ultrasone sound signature
smily_headphones1.gif

But I didn´t got an answer you are running unamped from your computer and you aren´t getting any problem with blurry bass or uncontrolled treble, bass? I can listen to my Pro 900 unamped but it does get muddier and more V-shaped then. Though the Ed 8 is marketed as portable. Much heavier so then the ED 9 for example and thus they may not grow that much with amplification? As for no sibilance not even on sibilance ridden recordings?

My only experience with tubes was the EF-1 hybrid and well I didn´t like that much. Most that runs Ultrasones seem to use solid state amps I do have noticed.

Yes it seems that the headphone dont grow much with amplification but thats not an objective statement since i have not done the comparison yet only with tubes.Somehow this product is more focused on portable use and you see it on the jack at the end of the wire.You have to install the adapter to use it in normal amps.Blurry bass is not evident with the MAC for me its quite a balanced presentation.I have the feeling if you run it as MOPPS does it with a solid state amp with lot of current
the bass could get boomy, but thats not the case with MAC.O fcourse you dont get stellar performance from a computer so i suggest that a straight out of quality DAC could be awesome.I dont get the sibilance not even with the I POD on normal recordings but sibilance is evident everywhere when that record contains it.
edit:the wire is also relativity short that indicates of portable using.
Please use only WAV files on your Ipod ,computer etc.Apple lossless flattens down .

Jul 9, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #124 of 142
tangerine, have you tried flac vs. wav? If apple lossless is sounding different there might be something wrong with its settings or maybe bugs in the decoder and maybe flac will sound identical to wav for you and then you can save more space
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #126 of 142
Edition9 have had the bad fortune to be compared directly to HD800 by me on the Munich High End 2009. I've listened to E8 (serials #1 & #2) with two amps - SPL Phonitor Model 2730 and SPL Audiotor. With the Phonitor they sounded well but the overall impression has been totally eclipsed by the HD800. Uncompromisingly and in every aspect.
Ultrasone E8 - $1400
Sennheiser HD800 - $1300
What else to say?
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #128 of 142
Not quite...Edition 8 beats all...hands down

Jul 10, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #130 of 142
It would really be hard to compare the ED8 to the HD800 as it really seems to be made more for portable with good isolation for a closed can (thinking AT's ESW series).

Not to mention the Amping requirements for both the ED8 works very well even on DAPS and they don't need a pricey amp to drive them at an acceptable performance. The HD800 on the other hand needs much more power ending up with AMPs that are usually costly. Can't imagine enjoying the full potential of a HD800 on a portable amp. =(

Jul 10, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #131 of 142
Had a carefull listening with the solid state amp last night.It didnt went necessarily i the right direction the amp was not good enough.So when you use solid state it should be a dry ultra clean and dead silent amp.Definitely the ED-8 is designed for portable use.On the package on Ed-8 is a writing trust your ears.So when you go to the next Ultrasone dealer to listen to the ED-8 take your i pod with WAV files with you,you will be stunned and think again how it would sound when you find the right rig.I will show next week to other headfiers the phone so they will probably write something down.

Jul 10, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #132 of 142
Comparisons should be made with amplification if such. That is what I would be interested in I wouldn´t care anything about comparisons on them unamped unless the ED 8 would in some weird way actually sound better unamped
smily_headphones1.gif
. Then you would compare that unamped versus the HD 800 amped so each sound their best.

But I really have to stop visiting these threads. Some day I will fall for the temptation and order one or the other.

Jul 10, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #133 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Comparisons should be made with amplification if such. That is what I would be interested in I wouldn´t care anything about comparisons on them unamped unless the ED 8 would in some weird way actually sound better unamped
smily_headphones1.gif
. Then you would compare that unamped versus the HD 800 amped so each sound their best.

But I really have to start visiting these threads. Some day I will fall for the temptation and order one or the other.

You said it right, it actually sound in a weird way unamped stunning.And i will make the comparison ED-8 unamped and HD-800 amped it will be interesting.In a unamped way the problems wich MOPPS mentioned are not evident its rather a very balanced sound structure from bottom to top.I think Ultrasone would have NEVER released a headphone with those problems.You have just to drive it correctly.

I have made comparisons with Apple lossless and Wav ,if you go to the mathematics its not as simple as to say it has the same amount of bits, something happens to the info and you can hear it.Wav is better and in Apple lossless you lose something in the depht and in the highs but this with bat ears only.

I own I POD classic 160GB

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #135 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangerine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will release a comparison writing next monday between the headphones Hd-800 and ED-8.

Can't wait to read it
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back