Edition 8 as a polyvalent home + (trans)portable setup or two systems ?
Feb 19, 2010 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

MayaTlab

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I've decided to get my audio addiction to a new level and I plan to get a very nice sounding home system in the near future (to me that means around 2 years). However, I'm also in the process of replacing my IEMs with portable headphones (due to fit issues, not related to the tips but to my jaw anatomy).

I originally thought to get a pair of Audio Technica ESW10 / ES10 (most probably the latter since they seem roughly equal in SQ - though with a different signature - and that the former's price is way too high in proportion). Then later on, I would buy a quality home system (with a nice decent budget).

However, I'm also tempted to "unify" the two by buying an Ultrasone Edition 8, use it as a portable pair of cans on the go (I've seen their dimensions and that's portable enough to me), and then buy the remaining elements for a decent home system later on.

I perfectly know that you'll tell me that using Edition 8 as a portable solution would be a waste, and I would totally agree with you. Yet The idea of having only one pair of headphones is very tempting (I tend to prefer minimizing the number of items I own as much as possible for some weird reason). Additionally, it seems according to reviews that the Edition 8 are very polyvalent, which is a very nice characteristic to me : I tends to listen to almost any kind of music, with a particular penchant towards difficultly classifiable music
smily_headphones1.gif
. Also, the idea of not having to "upgrade" for a certain time is very tempting - I appreciate to keep what I buy for a long time and develop a sort of "connection" with quality items.

My question is rather simple : there would be no point for me to buy the Edition 8 if they cannot perform at least as well if not better on a portable source than the ES(W)10 AND as a home setup. If they're better as a portable solution than the former two, and still very good as a home setup, I'll be fine.

So my question is the following : if you tried the edition 8 and one of those two AT cans above, would you say that the Edition 8 will perform better than the AT plugged into a portable source (either Cowon S9 or iPod + LOD + Amp, both in Lossless files - I'm currently re-encoding my entire library in FLAC but I can very easily re-encode it in Apple Lossless if necessary) ? I'm particularly looking at the following : instrument separation, soundstage / imaging, dynamics, "speed".

I personally doubt they'll be noticeably better on the Cowon solution, though I feel there could be a difference on the iPod solution (with the appropriate amp).

What is your opinion ?

PS : I do not mind walking around with 1500 dollars on my head. I've been walking in various cities with expensive photo gear without trouble and I know how to stay discrete. I'll probably pick the palladium version though (less shiny). Maybe even make them look cheaper in a yet to be determined and non destructive way (as I do with cameras and gaffer tape).

PS II : If I go for a separate solution, I'm still very likely to get as a home setup closed cans. So the Edition 8 would still be on the menu.

Feb 19, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #2 of 23
If the Edition 8 doesn´t make you happy unamped you are really picky. They are designed as a portable headphone so it´s not crazy! Now they do get better with an amp but I see a scenario if you aren´t to bitten by upgraditis where you will just be fine with your S9 or what you get.

I got the Ipod Touch 3G and the Edition 8. I really have no references in portable gears but it performs superbly. Doesn´t match my home setup but I need to be home to realize and fully appreciate it!. It does make a difference but not as in some headphones which are just not enjoyable without a proper amp. You do loose speed it´s quite evident. They are very allround in term of music.

All headphones have their quirks though. I would wish for a larger soundstage on the Ed 8. I expected more in that area coming from the Pro 900 really.

Feb 19, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the Edition 8 doesn´t make you happy unamped you are really picky. They are designed as a portable headphone so it´s not crazy! Now they do get better with an amp but I see a scenario if you aren´t to bitten by upgraditis where you will just be fine with your S9 or what you get.

I got the Ipod Touch 3G and the Edition 8. I really have no references in portable gears but it performs superbly. Doesn´t match my home setup but I need to be home to realize and fully appreciate it!. It does make a difference but not as in some headphones which are just not enjoyable without a proper amp. You do loose speed it´s quite evident. They are very allround in term of music.

All headphones have their quirks though. I would wish for a larger soundstage on the Ed 8. I expected more in that area coming from the Pro 900 really.

Yes, I tend to be picky, and I'm hard to impress. There's a reason I'm trying to upgrade after all
smily_headphones1.gif
. I do intend to listen to the Edition 8 prior to buying them, and certainly out of a DAP. But this won't really give me a point of comparison with the Audio Technica.

Thanks for your answer though : at least I'm sure they won't sound like mud
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 19, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #4 of 23
I listened to the Ed 8 unamped, and was blown away. To me these are the ultimate portable headphone. Haven't heard either of those two ATs to make a comparison.

Feb 19, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #6 of 23
I have the Ed8 that I use mostly in my home rig but also on occasion with my travel rigs. I have owned the ESW9 modded and recabled by Germania which supposedly gets them close to ESW10 and the Ed8 is clearly better. The ESW9 was a grab me and lets boogie kind of sound where the Ed8 is all together more refined but still with plenty off get up and go. I listen to almost any kind of music and have not found anything where the Ed8 have let me down, they are very versatile and always produces excelent sound even straight from my iPhone.

Feb 19, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Ed8 that I use mostly in my home rig but also on occasion with my travel rigs. I have owned the ESW9 modded and recabled by Germania which supposedly gets them close to ESW10 and the Ed8 is clearly better. The ESW9 was a grab me and lets boogie kind of sound where the Ed8 is all together more refined but still with plenty off get up and go. I listen to almost any kind of music and have not found anything where the Ed8 have let me down, they are very versatile and always produces excelent sound even straight from my iPhone.

Thanks a lot for that answer.

By the way I've seen that you own the UM3x. How would you describe the ED8 frequency response compared to UM3x ? More or less bass ? More or less treble ? I've already listen to them and I know their sound rather well, so that would be a reference regarding sound signature. Of course I'm not asking about soundstage, instrument separation, etc. since I assume the ED8 are obviously better.

Feb 19, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #8 of 23
I would say that the Ed8 has more physical power and prescence to the bass but the UM3x possibly reaches about as deep. On the other hand the UM3x probably has a more prominent treble

Feb 19, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #10 of 23
I enjoy the Ed8 and ESW10JPN regularly. When I demo'd the ESW10JPN before buying, I was really impressed with the alive and vibrant mids/highs. I think they add a certain sparkle to a lot of music that I really like.

The Ed8 is really simply better, though. Apart from being more comfortable to wear, they have a decidedly higher-fi sound. The emphasis this time, though, is on the bass, and not the treble. Actually... That's the interesting thing about the Ed8 -- if the music isn't that bassy, the 8's don't make bass out of nothing. But when the recording does have bass, it seems to be the centerpiece of the spectrum. Just a really smooth, cohesive sound that does seem to work for just about everything.

I actually don't listen from them unamped much at all. The Rx makes them sound fantastic, though. (As does my Apache.)

Deciding which one I would prefer is mega easy.

Feb 19, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #11 of 23
Many times I have used the ed8's as portables with the iqube and the sound is simply superb! about shiny ostentatious cans? common, any skullcandy, dre or similar catches more attention than these. Go for it!

Feb 19, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I enjoy the Ed8 and ESW10JPN regularly. When I demo'd the ESW10JPN before buying, I was really impressed with the alive and vibrant mids/highs. I think they add a certain sparkle to a lot of music that I really like.

The Ed8 is really simply better, though. Apart from being more comfortable to wear, they have a decidedly higher-fi sound. The emphasis this time, though, is on the bass, and not the treble. Actually... That's the interesting thing about the Ed8 -- if the music isn't that bassy, the 8's don't make bass out of nothing. But when the recording does have bass, it seems to be the centerpiece of the spectrum. Just a really smooth, cohesive sound that does seem to work for just about everything.

I actually don't listen from them unamped much at all. The Rx makes them sound fantastic, though. (As does my Apache.)

Deciding which one I would prefer is mega easy.

Well that's already two good amp suggestion for the future
smily_headphones1.gif

You said you do not listen much to them unamped. But does your opinion that ED8 > ESW10 still holds when plugging them straight into some good DAP unamped, and not just into an iPod + LOD + Amp ? I ask this question because I'm supposed to receive a Cowon S9 soon and, if I go for the "unifying system", I plan to buy it in this order :

1 - Good DAP (Cowon S9)
2 - Edition 8
3 - Home setup (Amp, etc.)
4 - Eventual portable upgrade to iPod + LOD + Amp

All of this taking place over a maximum of two years (probably less, but let's be pessimistic for the sake of not being disappointed).

Thanks.

Quote:

Many times I have used the ed8's as portables with the iqube and the sound is simply superb! about shiny ostentatious cans? common, any skullcandy, dre or similar catches more attention than these. Go for it!

I totally agree with you that the concerns over the looks of the Edition 8 are a little exaggerated - Ruthenium might be shiny, but it's a sort of "dark shiny" that's much less conspicuous in reality than in photo. yet, I still prefer to minimize shininess even less with the Palladium one (also, I've noticed the brand's name is less ostentatious, perfect for a brandophobe like me
beyersmile.png
). I'd found it actually downright funny to get mugged for my mobile phone or my MP3 player and not for these.

Feb 20, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #13 of 23
I think the reason the Rx does so well with he Ed8 is because it is very fast and crispy/accurate. I believe the iqube is similar, from what I've read.

I think that as headphones go, both the ESW10JPN and the Ed8 do pretty darn well unamped. They were both designed to work well this way.

However, what I was saying still holds unamped. The Ed8 is just a more immersive, more wow-worthy presentation.

Feb 20, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the reason the Rx does so well with he Ed8 is because it is very fast and crispy/accurate. I believe the iqube is similar, from what I've read.

I think that as headphones go, both the ESW10JPN and the Ed8 do pretty darn well unamped. They were both designed to work well this way.

However, what I was saying still holds unamped. The Ed8 is just a more immersive, more wow-worthy presentation.

Thanks.

Anyway, I've decided to buy now the AT ES10 and then try the Edition 8 when I'll be back in Paris (there's a retailer there). Selling the ES10 won't be a chore after all and I'll have a better sense of difference between them.

Feb 20, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by MayaTlab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks.

Anyway, I've decided to buy now the AT ES10 and then try the Edition 8 when I'll be back in Paris (there's a retailer there). Selling the ES10 won't be a chore after all and I'll have a better sense of difference between them.

I had the esw10jpn's and although there have been the best supra-aural cans I have ever tried, the ed.8's are simply in another league. You are going to end up getting the ed.8's, why not do it since the beginning. The more Im in this hobby, the more I wait to get what I really want...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back