Eddie Current Zana Deux owners
Jan 1, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #421 of 2,605
windfall is relative.... at $1900 each and using a assembly line, nobody can accuse Craig of fleecing us....

HD-2i with dealer mark-up etc I think is gonna be $3500. ZD would probably have cost the same thru a dealer too. Another example, Dick Sequerra's Met 7.7 speaker was going for, I think, $1500 from a dealer. From today i think he is selling direct at $850.... I'm not saying dealers aren't entitled to make money but if I get to save money, I ain't complaining
tongue.gif

We got ourselves a bargain..... but then again that too is relative.
biggrin.gif

Jan 1, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #422 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironbut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, if Craig only has 8 pairs of the soybean oil caps, how many ZD's will there be total. The first run was 6, the next 10, and I assume the last run was an additional 10. Are the 8 pairs for the Feb. run? No matter how you cut it, that's great for Craig! Considering the lousy response to the HD25 selling over 30 Zanas must seem like a windfall.

before Craig started selling the ZDs, i believe he told me he had about 50 soybean oil caps left over from Moth.

Jan 18, 2008 at 11:44 AM Post #426 of 2,605
mine is ready for shipping!!! think one of the first for this run....
been scouring cyberspace for tubes. not easy and def not cheap these days!

Jan 18, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #427 of 2,605
excellent! Unfortunately I know I am at the back end of the run, actually I think I am last
tongue.gif
So I will have to wait a bit, which is fine. Single ended wise this is the amp for me, I can honestly I am done from an amp perspective. I may use some different cans and mess around with my source but the zana will be the centerpoint to my rig here on out. As people get their zanas, please make sure to update and post in the thread. We always love pics
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 19, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #431 of 2,605
I asked Craig the rectifier question recently.... his reply:

Because the 6C33C needs a very soft start, slow warm up rectifier tubes are used. These are high current diodes also referred to as damper diodes. The original ZD used 6DM4A, 6DA4A. The diodes need to match and finding NOS (new old stock) tubes that match is difficult. Svetlana makes new damper diodes the 6D22S. This tube has lower on resistance, a slower warm up time, will handle more power, almost always match, are readily available, and sound better. There are plug an play American equivalents, but why fight it.

Can anyone tell me whether there is any possibility of rolling these 6D22S tubes (sucker for punishment i know
rolleyes.gif
) Are they swappable with the previous 6DM4A, 6DA4As?? What are the American equivalents?

Jan 20, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #432 of 2,605
from my talks to him, all the zd tubes are interchangeable... at least that's the impression i have.

Jan 20, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #433 of 2,605
you should NOT mess with the new set of damper diodes for the reasons craig stated. They need to match and operate within their normal region in order for the 6c33c's to operate normally. Svetlana should be just fine.

Jan 20, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #434 of 2,605
i havent found a equivalent for the 6d22. but i can also so, im all squishy in my shorts behind the current set up. havent heard any other rec tube to compare it though. also i understand the biggest audioable change will come from rolling the 6sl7.

also has anyone else tried the 6c18's?

Jan 24, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #435 of 2,605
I'm a new ZD owner now!

First Impressions:
- Amazing synergy with Sennheiser HD650s. These were my least favourite cans prior to the ZD, however they are completely different through the ZD. A match made in heaven. You easily get lost in the music with this combo.
- My previous favourite set of cans was the Grado GS1000, which I thought sounded good with pretty much everything. Perhaps I got spoiled with the HD650, but I thought the GS1000 was better off in other combinations (one of them being the Grace 901). It wasn't bad, but I just wasn't as impressed as the HD650.

This is an amazing amp, and worth every penny. Looks great, sounds great.
Way to go Craig!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back