Eddie Current Zana Deux owners
Oct 1, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #362 of 2,605
After reading Ironbut's outline of tubes, I've sought out the VT229 Tung Sol, with brown base, but without luck.

I've found, however, the VT229 RCA, with black base, for $49. Perhaps this would be a good choice?

thanks,

John

Oct 2, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #363 of 2,605
There's been a few post from 701 owners ( I have a pair too) that prefer the Tung-sol 6SU7. They are getting pretty scarce but if you persist, you'll find some. I bought my NOS pair from a regular poster over on the Tubes Asylum ivan303 ( I think). You should be able to PM him from there. They were $$$! You new guys might think about trying the tube rolling kit that granodemostasa has ( or I think he has ). It has one of each of the 4 6sl7 types from my comparison ( actually my tubes). David has added to it also. You should PM him if your interested in trying it. Just be sure to PM me when you get them and when ( and if ) you send them to someone else.
BTW I'm using my Audio Technica AD2000 with the ZD. I love-love-love the combo! I'm just about to switch to the 701's for a bit ( I use them for audio editing ). I tried 909's AT L3000 with the Zana and it sounded excellent with it too.

Oct 12, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #365 of 2,605
Just had a few minutes to listen to an hour warmed up ZD hooked up to my only available source, iRiver H340 with high bit rate mp3s. Even these sound really nice. Can't wait to try it with my MacBkP apple lossless>Cosecant>ZD>701's or S650's.

Oct 26, 2007 at 9:35 AM Post #368 of 2,605
ZD arrived yesterday.

This thing is breathtaking.

Craig Uthus has mentioned that the Zana Deux is about 1/2 percent efficiency-wise, which explains the chassis heat, and he's said that this "is where the music lives."

I'm not a technical person. I do have a vague idea what he's talking about from my reading.

But if anyone here can explain this, and where the magic is coming from with this thing, I'd sure appreciate it.

A magnificent amp! And Craig is great..............
600smile.gif

Oct 30, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #369 of 2,605
Anyone have experince with the SA5000 paired with the Zana? I'm thinking of getting a pair of SA5000 (again) since it seems like they might complement each other well. That and the RS-1 is just not that comfortable for anything more than 30min or so...

Nov 27, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #371 of 2,605
Maybe I'll be able to join this thread officially in... let's say... 10 years after I save enough for it. Haha! Seriously though, heard this amp at a meet and I'm quite set on it as my next upgrade. Beautiful amp and incredibly musical sounding.

Nov 27, 2007 at 7:15 AM Post #372 of 2,605
After a week of wrestling with the decision, I exchanged e-mail with Craig this afternoon and sent him the deposit a little bit ago. Waiting will be the hard part now.

There were a lot of tube suggestions about a year ago. Do any of the ZD owners have updates on their tube choices and rolling? Seems like most of the impressions were fairly recent; I'd like to know how your choices held up. Is there anything owners know now they wish they knew when the ZD first showed up?

And is anyone using their ZD as a preamp? Impressions, please?

Nov 27, 2007 at 9:04 AM Post #373 of 2,605
At the moment, I'm just wallowing in musical pleasure with the stock tubes. I think a person can enjoy it that way for a long, long time, and then get into swapping out tubes, after you know the ZD well.

The ZD is the biggest upgrade I've ever made. And an astounding one.

Nov 27, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #374 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And is anyone using their ZD as a preamp? Impressions, please?

The Zd is pulling double duty in my speaker system as a preamp & headphone amp.It is a great sounding preamp,surprisingly with great impact.
It replaced a Hovland HP100,while not being as good as the Hovland($5000 linestage)it holds its own.You will not be disappointed at all using it as a preamp.

Nov 27, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #375 of 2,605
1. the ZD is a ridiculously good preamp
2. Qualia= Jan Syl
3. Grado= NU
4. Senn= 6su7
5. she attracts dust like an idle car, get some wipes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back