Eddie Current Zana Deux owners
Jun 12, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #1,726 of 2,605
^dallan, after you get your new tubes and confirm they are doing well...please pass on the info as I may have a grid shorting in one of my big tubes.  Thanks and good luck on the replacements!

Jun 16, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #1,727 of 2,605
They just came in. Actually I left my Zana with Craig and he had a spare set in his office, but i was at his house. He tried them and it worked perfect and so i was going to look to order new tubes but he said he was getting a large lot for his next batch so i just opted in on that batch and they came today. Not sure the source, but pretty sure it was in Russia.

I have to find my primary driver now, i took it out when testing and put in a lousy black glass. When he tested it he said the black glass was really bad. I knew it from my ears but that was a confirmation.

Jun 18, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #1,728 of 2,605
Just picked it up. After seven weeks with the v200(a very good amp) the Zana Deux is just plain stunning. It is almost beyond words. Whisping away a veil is just the beginning. Add to it dynamics. It has to be the most important headphone purchase i have ever made. Next thing is going to be an upgrade to my dac though. I did a digital link and added mods that cost double the cost of the dac but that was about five years ago so i am stunted and held down to 24/96 still. My converter too is maxed at 24/96. So i have to figure it out, either the Zodiac or Bryston BDA-2. If anyone has other suggestions please let me know.

Jun 21, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #1,730 of 2,605
I recommend Empirical Audio gear for digital reproduction. I'm on my third DAC by Steve Nugent at EA and it's beyond stunning. Steve suggested that 16/44.1 really beats out 24/96. After getting a lot of 24/96 I have to agree with him.

Jun 22, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #1,732 of 2,605

If anyone has other suggestions please let me know.

Metrum Hex ?

I was reading some review early in the evening and thought the Hex/Zana deux combo could be terrific with a HD800.

Jun 22, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #1,733 of 2,605
 If anyone has other suggestions please let me know.

Wyred 4 Sound DAC2-DSDse now uses a Femto Clock. I have the full upgrade and really like it. Running it with my Cary SLI-80 and they match really well.

Jun 22, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #1,734 of 2,605
Wyred 4 Sound DAC2-DSDse now uses a Femto Clock. I have the full upgrade and really like it. Running it with my Cary SLI-80 and they match really well.

Thanks, that was on my list originally but I had read the BDA-2 was superior. Wish I could hear all of them and make an informed decision. At canjam I was able to hear a ram modded digital link and had one done but since then that company (ram) took several peoples money and reportedly didn't perform the mods or disappeared or something, so I consider myself lucky. Still need some kind of upgrade though. Thanks again, maybe the next meet I can hear some stuff...

Jun 22, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #1,735 of 2,605

Thanks, that was on my list originally but I had read the BDA-2 was superior. Wish I could hear all of them and make an informed decision. At canjam I was able to hear a ram modded digital link and had one done but since then that company (ram) took several peoples money and reportedly didn't perform the mods or disappeared or something, so I consider myself lucky. Still need some kind of upgrade though. Thanks again, maybe the next meet I can hear some stuff...

The main reason I chimed in was not to shill what I own, but to point out that the combo of the tube based Cary and the W4S has strong synergy. I certainly have not listened to all of the DAC's from $2k-$5k. It would be fun!

beerchug.gif

Jun 22, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #1,737 of 2,605
Thank you, really I I'm happy to hear all input. The Zana does not really have a warm tube sound to my ears though and that is why I'm a little jumpy about the Bryston.

I look forward to enjoying your journey!

popcorn.gif

Aug 17, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #1,739 of 2,605
  I've had a Zana a few years back but have a question since I don't remember.

Are both the outputs preamp outputs or is there a loop out as well?

I'm somewhat dense in not being able to tell the difference. I have daisy chained amps via the ZD when comparing between the ZD & another amp. Would that be considered a  loop out?

Aug 18, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #1,740 of 2,605
I'm somewhat dense in not being able to tell the difference. I have daisy chained amps via the ZD when comparing between the ZD & another amp. Would that be considered a  loop out?

Yes it would if the output is not volume controlled by the ZD. Else it's preamp output.
Is that so?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back