Eddie Current Zana Deux owners
Jan 17, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #2,401 of 2,605

There aren't much options.
1) all black instead of silver top and bottom
2) P&G pot, much nicer than stock.
3) no tube upgrades, you get the standard ones. For power  it doesn't matter as there is nothing else. For rectifier same thing, well there is the EY500A but it doesn't make a difference. For the driver you get the stock Tung Sol which is worthless. Buy yourself some RCA 5691, Mullard ECC35, Brimar CV 1985, Sophia Electric Premium 6SL7 and/or Tung-Sol 6SU7GTY.
4) my first Zana was balanced but that was the only one ever produced. I don't think Craig is gonna do that again and it would cost a fair bit more.

Regarding upgrades, I got the P&G volume pot (and have been quite happy with it), but I recently read that the folks at Eddie Current do NOT recommend most folks to opt for it. You might want to contact them directly and see what they advise given your particular system profile.

One additional upgrade to consider is an upgraded fuse. I purchased a Synergistic Research fuse and had it shipped directly to Eddie Current during my ZDS build process, and Craig installed it for me. I ordered the Red Quantum Fuse, but I gather that now they have a Black Quantum Fuse that's a bit better. According to my notes, the specs you want are: small 5x20mm (0.75"), Slow (T), 4A. But be sure to check with Craig first, as my notes may be off.

Hope this helps.

Jan 17, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #2,402 of 2,605
Thanks for the responses everyone, really helpful.

Now for my next trick, I'll REALLY show off my ignorance: Which tube on the ZDS is the driver?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 19, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #2,403 of 2,605
I'm in a position to pick up a second hand Zana Deux original (not SE), so it doesn't have the low/high impedance setting.  Will this still pair nicely with the focal clear/utopias with their 80ohm impedance, or is this going to be a long way away from the positive comments throughout this thread from those with the more recent Zana Deux SEs?

Jan 19, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #2,404 of 2,605
  I'm in a position to pick up a second hand Zana Deux original (not SE), so it doesn't have the low/high impedance setting.  Will this still pair nicely with the focal clear/utopias with their 80ohm impedance, or is this going to be a long way away from the positive comments throughout this thread from those with the more recent Zana Deux SEs?

To me, not as nicely. I have the original ZD but had been customised given instructions by Craig. The bass is a little wonky in normal non-SE mode.

Even with ZDSE an ZDS there are differences. I thought the praises with ZD with the Utopias were primarily the ZDS.

Jan 19, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #2,405 of 2,605

The ZDS is an improvement on the ZDSE, I had both.
I wouldn't go for the original ZD without impedance switch, you'll lose verstility.
I tried the Utopia over the weekend and low impedance was more than enough.
Also, I prefer the sound from the low impedance setting for my cans but have to say they're all easy to drive.

Jan 21, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #2,406 of 2,605
Can anyone recommend some good RCA cables to connect my ZDS and Yggdrasil?

Jan 21, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #2,408 of 2,605
Can anyone recommend some good RCA cables to connect my ZDS and Yggdrasil?

If you have some soldering skills, recommend a custom cable to go from the XLR Yggy out to RCA ZDS in. You connect pins 1, 2 but leave pin 3 floating on the XLR side. The reason to do this is the XLR out of Yggy is a bit more transparent. I recommend Furutech FA-220 cable and FP-110 RCA connector. Forget the XLR connector part number.

If not, Furutech Evolution Audio II RCA interconnects for the win. Be aware of fakes being sold used and/or on eBay, though. These are often faked unfortunately.

Cables play a role. Do not get just anything if you're looking to make a positive impact.

Jan 21, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #2,409 of 2,605
If you have some soldering skills, recommend a custom cable to go from the XLR Yggy out to RCA ZDS in. You connect pins 1, 2 but leave pin 3 floating on the XLR side. The reason to do this is the XLR out of Yggy is a bit more transparent. I recommend Furutech FA-220 cable and FP-110 RCA connector. Forget the XLR connector part number.

If not, Furutech Evolution Audio II RCA interconnects for the win. Be aware of fakes being sold used and/or on eBay, though. These are often faked unfortunately.

Cables play a role. Do not get just anything if you're looking to make a positive impact.

Can you do this simply with a cable, and don't need a transformer? I have Gumby, and with both DACs the XLR out is 4vrms instead of 2.

Jan 21, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #2,410 of 2,605

Can you do this simply with a cable, and don't need a transformer? I have Gumby, and with both DACs the XLR out is 4vrms instead of 2.

Yes. You are not using the peak to peak differential swing. You are essentially using the XLR connector single ended this way.

Jan 21, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #2,412 of 2,605
Yes. You are not using the peak to peak differential swing. You are essentially using the XLR connector single ended this way.

OK cool. As long as it's safe it'll be worth a try next time I get the iron out

I've been running this way for a good while.

That was the first prototype using solid silver with Teflon. Too harsh. I'm a few revisions past that.

Jan 22, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #2,413 of 2,605
bazelio What do you like about the Furutech RCAs? Do you like it in general, or is it because it pairs particularly well with the Zana?

I have an old Cardas Golden Reference lying around, which I plan to use when my ZDS arrives paired the Yggy. I'm hoping they'd sound well together. By any chance, have you ever heard them with the Zana? They seem to sound kind of warm to me compared to my other interconnects (Schiit, Violectric), although I'm not sure if it's a good comprison to make due to the significant gap in pricepoints.

Jan 22, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #2,414 of 2,605
@bazelio I have an old Cardas Golden Reference lying around, which I plan to use when my ZDS arrives. Have you ever heard them with the Zana? They sound kind of warm to me compared to my other cables, although my other cables are of a lower price point (schiit, violectric).

No I can't say I've heard every cable in existence...  Cardas hasn't been a favorite of mine in the past, but it has been a while since I've had any around.  Also, I find the Cardas connectors and sundries inferior to Furutech.  Believe it or not, cryo treatment does seem to have a favorable affect to my ears and the Furutech "Alpha" process used in the Evolution II series and upward is basically just cryo.  Some (or most?) of the Furutech RCA connector center pins go through the Alpha process also.  Several cable manufacturers are starting to incorporate cryo now.  I almost cringe just hearing myself say that, too.   But I hear what I hear and I can't do anything about that!!

For me, Furutech is expensive and good value at the same time, if that makes any sense.  Their phono cable is excellent.  Their interconnects are excellent.  And strangely enough, their USB cable (the GT2 Pro) is excellent...  strangely because I refused to believe USB cables could make a difference...  but now that I've done the comparo, I am a believer.  A little birdy has also told me to believe their power cables are excellent, but I haven't gone that far yet.  That's yet another tough pill to swallow.  :wink:

PS - I made a set of interconnects out of the VH Audio V-Twist, and it's a tad warm and smooth which isn't always a bad thing between Yggy and ZDS IMHO for overall synergy...  depending on the 6SL7 you use in the ZDS.

Jan 22, 2017 at 1:26 AM Post #2,415 of 2,605
  I almost cringe just hearing myself say that, too.   But I hear what I hear and I can't do anything about that!!

I feel exactly the same way about a lot of things in this hobby! LOL! 

+1 on the GT2 Pro USB cables though. Amazing value relative to the more expensive ones out there, in my opinion. 

Well, these Golden Reference RCAs do sound warm and smooth to me though so I guess they shouldn't be all that bad then. By the way, do you remember what particular Cardas model you tried back then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back