Easy to drive (Clip +), solid bass, good all around sound can?
Jul 20, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #2 of 8
Look no further than the Audio-Technica M50, unless you're looking for open cans..

Jul 20, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #3 of 8
That looks good! Thanks.Just a quick question, I have relative inexperience when it comes to full-sized cans, I only have a MDR-V6. I can't play those with any of my DAPs, they have no presence, impact, fullness when compared from my PC. M50s are easier to drive than the V6s?

Jul 20, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #4 of 8
Beyerdynamic DT 770, the 32 ohm model. On a more budget friendly note, I would try the Koss PortaPro and see if the meets you needs, or is the kind of sound you like. By the way, do you listen to bass heavy music (which genres), and do you typically use an EQ?

Jul 20, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #5 of 8
I use an EQ , really depends on what I am listening to, and what I feel may be 'missing' in a sense from my earphones/headphones.

I have the majority of my music on my Zune 120, which doesn't have an EQ, there's also that.

I listen to a relatively wide variety of music, some of it bass driven. Hip-Hop/Rap, funk, R&B, soul a little electronic, heavy metal/rock, jazz, samba, salsa, 'trailer music' (if that's the category Immediate Music falls under), some alternative, and I enjoy piano pieces, notably Fryderyk Chopin's works.

I do like my V6's sound, decent bass, the highs aren't too sharp (as it is for some) in my opinion, but I feel as if it is missing something, perhaps a little more presence in the low end, more impact, and it's highs and mids could use improvement, definitely.

To get a general idea of songs I listen to songs like Chopin's 'Ballade No. 1 - Op. 23 - in G Minor', Immediate Music's 'Lacrimosa', Rob Dougan's 'Clubbed to Death', Black Sabbath's 'War Pigs', The Killers' 'All The Things I've Done'.

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #6 of 8

The V6 is not my favorite set of cans. It does present good detail, but when compared with my M50, it sounds totally lackluster and harsh, especially on female vocals and strings. I'll probably be selling my V6's in the near future, actually. I keep them because they are good reference cans since many people have them, and also because they are pretty comfortable (I have the Beyer DT250 velour pads on them). The M50 is easy to drive (not sure if it's easier), and has more depth/bass presence.

Quote:
That looks good! Thanks.Just a quick question, I have relative inexperience when it comes to full-sized cans, I only have a MDR-V6. I can't play those with any of my DAPs, they have no presence, impact, fullness when compared from my PC. M50s are easier to drive than the V6s?

The Portapros are also a really great choice, if you don't mind an open-ear design. They are a very bassy set of open-ear cans, and a bargain at their price ($30). I was absolutely amazed when I got the KSC75 and the Portapros (they share the same drivers, but the Portapros are bassier) by what could be had at that price.

Quote:
Beyerdynamic DT 770, the 32 ohm model. On a more budget friendly note, I would try the Koss PortaPro and see if the meets you needs, or is the kind of sound you like. By the way, do you listen to bass heavy music (which genres), and do you typically use an EQ?

Jul 21, 2010 at 8:32 AM Post #8 of 8
If you could get ESW9s around that price, them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back