EarWerkz Legend R. 8 Driver, 7-Way, 6-Crossover Flagship | discussion thread
May 9, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #271 of 306
  The fact that you won't dare to mention your personal views regarding some mysterious CIEMs because you are afraid of backlash is quite worrying and very sad.

I blame the unmannared and hostile group of Headfi posters for that. People tend to call you disgusting and other nice words just cause you have another pov. It's really fun
rolleyes.gif

May 9, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #272 of 306
I blame the unmannared and hostile group of Headfi posters for that. People tend to call you disgusting and other nice words just cause you have another pov. It's really fun :rolleyes:

And they only want to hear views and opinions that mirror theirs.

May 9, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #273 of 306
I blame the unmannared and hostile group of Headfi posters for that. People tend to call you disgusting and other nice words just cause you have another pov. It's really fun :rolleyes:

Too bad. I was genuinely interested in your impressions. Owning the Supra's I've been on the fence for the LR since, waiting for comparisons especially CE's and VE/Rhine ciems.

Would have been nice to have your opinion, sorry one needs to keep their opinion to themselves moreover because this is an EarWerkz thread after all

May 9, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #274 of 306
Too bad. I was genuinely interested in your impressions. Owning the Supra's I've been on the fence for the LR since, waiting for comparisons especially CE's and VE/Rhine ciems.

Would have been nice to have your opinion, sorry one needs to keep their opinion to themselves moreover because this is an EarWerkz thread after all

I will be doing sever al new CIEM reviews on Headfonia.com, don't worry. I just won't do it here. I have already done several comparisons in my legend r review btw, and there's more to come.

May 9, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #275 of 306

Won't be able to help you there either, got a few IEMs, gonna publish reviews soon, but no CE, no VE, no Rhine, and since my LR is on the way back, no EW for now either.

May 9, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #276 of 306
Its kind of sad that an overly hostile community towards a contrary opinion would hinder the sharing of opinions, which ironically underlies the whole idea of what a forum is for.

None the less, I'll take the leap and just make some short comparisons between some TOTLs ciems if it might help others. 

Earwerkz Legend R (ELR) vs Noble K10
Vocals on the ELR are lusher, more intimate (forward) than the K10. K10 sports a much more mainstream sound signature, with its emphasis on a 'fun' sound with its stronger bass and sub base and a slightly laid back mids. Soundstage for both would be an apple vs pear comparison, since the ELR seems focused on a 3D presentation (spherical), while the k10 seems to have a much larger horizontal soundstage, which makes for more out-of-head experiences. Both were equally technically capable, with the ELR being slightly more detailed by virtue of its neutral tuning.

ELR VS CT 500/ CT6E

I had the opportunity to try out a pair of customs for both the CT500 and CT6E, so my gratitude to the chap who was able to provide me both ciems to try out in our short meeting.

The CT500 was prehaps closer to the ELR with its slightly more intimate vocals and mids than the CT6E. the CT500 had a better layering capability, which made for very contrasting instrument separation. However, I would take the ELR over the 500 any day, as it seemed, to me, that whatever the 500 could do, the ELR would do better. 

The CT6E was where things got fun. The soundstage was pure auditory bliss. The vocals were slightly more recessed too. It was, IMO, the complement to the ELR. For lack of a better description, think of the CT6E as a slightly less resolving ELR, but with a expansively wide soundstage, a recessed yet smooth mids which made for a very relaxing listening experience. If the ELR was the aggressive girl who refuses to let you sleep as she breathes to you just beside you ears, the CT6E would be the gentle maiden who would slowly woo you into sleep's soft embrace before you even realize it. If I had to get another CIEM to complement the ELR, this would be it.

ELR vs H8/H8P.

Personally, being used to the lush and full bodied mids of the ELR, I found both the H8 and H8P lacking in that. Both had a fairly wider horizontal soundstage, which when paired with its thinner sounding mids made for very easy instrument separation. The H8P was certainly the more 'tonally accurate' of the H8 pair, so if you really want a silicone ciem, but want a fun sound, go for the H8. 

ELR vs Layla/Angie/Ronanne

I think that I've done this before, but just a quick summary.
ELR vs Layla: Layla would be more tonally accurate since the full bodied sound of the ELR (do not mistake this with dark) may colour the sound slightly. Technically both are almost similar, with th Layla having a pleasant out-of-head soundstage. Owning an ELR myself, I could see myself using a custom Layla. But at the Layla's price point, lets just say that its remarkably underwhelming.

ELR vs Angie: I dont know where to even begin. The angie was a massive disappointment for a CIEM at that price point. Vocals that sounded as if the singer was having a bad cold, and a technical resolution that made the backup electric guitar a nervous mess. Took it out of my ears even before the song hit its halfway mark.

ELR vs Roxanne: Same as the Angie, it was so underwhelming that I would not have been surprised if someone had told me that it was a entry level CIEM. Remarkably dark even when set to its lowest, the veiled lower mids and muffled sub bass annoyed me to no end.

ELR vs UERM

At the extreme end of the ELR you would probably find the UERM. Just as the ELR excelled in depth, the UERM focused on horizontal sound stage. Both were equally technically capable in resolving songs, with the UERM being more articulate with its focus on tonal accuracy. None the less, the UERM lacked the toe tapping fun which makes a CIEM come alive, and hence I would probably noy get the UERM unless some awesome deal pops up again. 

At the end of this, I would like to stress that all these are PERSONAL opinions, based on what I hear. I am not using a stock cable on my ELR, and my ELR is always on a balanced out, while tests using other units may not always have that given the limitations of shop/borrowed set ups. Cheers. 

May 9, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #277 of 306
I will be doing sever al new CIEM reviews on Headfonia.com, don't worry. I just won't do it here. I have already done several comparisons in my legend r review btw, and there's more to come.

Accidentally quoted you, my comment was addressed to Georgelai57, thanks for answering though, following you on the VE/Rhines thread and really looking forward to your ELR/VE5/Stage5 comparison

Won't be able to help you there either, got a few IEMs, gonna publish reviews soon, but no CE, no VE, no Rhine, and since my LR is on the way back, no EW for now either.

Your thread has been very helpful!! Wouldn't exactly call your recent purchases a short list, but I presume VAT+custom fees were reason for you not to include CE, VE, Rhine

Its kind of sad that an overly hostile community towards a contrary opinion would hinder the sharing of opinions, which ironically underlies the whole idea of what a forum is for.

None the less, I'll take the leap and just make some short comparisons between some TOTLs ciems if it might help others. 

Earwerkz Legend R (ELR) vs Noble K10
......snip

ELR VS CT 500/ CT6E

......snip

ELR vs H8/H8P.

.......snip

ELR vs Layla/Angie/Ronanne

.......snip

ELR vs UERM

.......snip

Thank you very (!) much for describing what this forum is about and your comparisons. Thanks for taking the time for this write up , it was very helpful indeed and highly appreciated.

Every opinion counts, thanks for sharing people

May 9, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #278 of 306
  At the end of this, I would like to stress that all these are PERSONAL opinions, based on what I hear. I am not using a stock cable on my ELR, and my ELR is always on a balanced out, while tests using other units may not always have that given the limitations of shop/borrowed set ups. Cheers. 

Remind me again which cable you're using with the ELR? I have a BTG Starlight on order but am interesting in trying a few other cables. I've found the ELR, maybe due to their high sensitivity, are much more susceptible to cable differences, and it makes it quite a lot of fun "rolling" cables. It's never a HUGE difference, but it's definitely noticeable.

May 10, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #279 of 306
  Impression of Legend R CIEM model.

Ok so thanks to Kenz we managed to have a go on his awesomely beautiful custom Legend R. 

And oh my the first thing i did when i saw his clear blue Legend R is to fondle it and stare at it with delight,it is really beautiful!!! The workmanship is top notch and everything within the shell is packed very neatly. Furthermore, there is just no flaw on the acrylic case. The clear blue color is just astonishingly blue.

Ok now to its sound, this is another big surprise! The custom sounded so much different as compared to the demo set. The bass is so much more defined and its there when needed, and never once did it overpowered the sweet and delightful mids that i loved from the demo set. The soundstage is absolutely a marvel to listen too!! This is really one CIEM that is a must get. It is just really very neutral, and the sound signature is just a delight to listen to!

Impression of Legend R Universal demo model.

The first time i placed the Legend in my ears and started a song, i was very and pleasantly surprised by how neutral sounding it was.
The bass is impactful and accurate, though if compared with both the V6S and the V8 it may be considered to be "weaker". It is never overpowering and feels just in place when needed. Although i honestly would have preferred the bass of the V8 as i think it's one of the best sounding bass i have heard.

The soundstage is absolutely fabulous and i think it is one of the highlight of the Legend. The soundstage to me is very spacious and the instrumental seperation is really top notch. The 3D depth that the soundstage presented really allows me to feel fully imensed within the song. This is how i feel a good soundstage imaging should be like. The soundstage of the Legend does not at any time seems to be forcing you to imagine that the instruments are forced to be seperated in a 3D type of way in which some IEMs that i have listened to try to do so by making the soundstage airier then usual.

The mids and highs of the legend is really sweet. Based on this song http://youtu.be/YVLIn6xMSh0 which is too sibilant for me on the K10 for reasons unknown:frowning2:, i can say that the vocals of the Legend is just right and it never in anyway tries to make it sound forced or harsh. The vocals of the Legend is unlike that of the Shure's which tends to exaggerate on the vocals by bringing the vocals more forward then the song actually is, thus some may feel that the Legend may sound boring and not as fun as compared to the Shure's 846 or 535. But i actually appreciate the neutral and flat sound signature that the Legend was able to portray and i would say this is the go to if you want to fully appreciate how the artists wanted their songs to be presented without any coloration from the IEMs.

How do these compare to their W500 and the 1964 A12's?

May 10, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #281 of 306
@moedawg140 did a pretty good comparison with the A12 in his thread

Thank you!

Read, and duly noted.  Interested in the Omega's now for sure.  
Know of a comparison of the Omegas and the NT-6's, by chance?

May 10, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #283 of 306
I won't because that only leads to unnecessary vitriol from fanboys of those other models. We all hear things differently. I'm just saying I like my Legends just as I do my 2 other TOTL ones, and the ones I tested will not be joining my stable. YMMV.

I have to agree with you. I've gone through a pair of Noble 4 and got another pair and thought they sounded different. It's all depending on what we hear and our experiences with different music.

May 10, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #284 of 306
I have to agree with you. I've gone through a pair of Noble 4 and got another pair and thought they sounded different. It's all depending on what we hear and our experiences with different music.

Thank you.

May 10, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #285 of 306
  Remind me again which cable you're using with the ELR? I have a BTG Starlight on order but am interesting in trying a few other cables. I've found the ELR, maybe due to their high sensitivity, are much more susceptible to cable differences, and it makes it quite a lot of fun "rolling" cables. It's never a HUGE difference, but it's definitely noticeable.

Using a Silver cable (PW audio:The Flash"), balanced out to a Glove A1. 

In the past month or so I've had the fortune to play with so many cable in different configurations that I've lost count of the number of cables that I've tried. But there seems to be a trend in my preferences for cable matching.

Personally speaking, I've found that the ELR performs best with four core cables (6 tops). Any more and the mids would be too laid back which takes away the vocal's intimacy, which, imo, is the main selling point and beauty of the ELR. Cable material wise, silver, silver/gold or silver/copper hybrids would be, in my mind, the most idea match for the ELR. The last thing you would want on your ELR would be to make the bass/sub bass too overpowering, and copper does seem to have that unfortunate effect.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back