EarWerkz Legend R. 8 Driver, 7-Way, 6-Crossover Flagship | discussion thread
Dec 19, 2014 at 12:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 306

jelt2359

Headphoneus Supremus
In the midst of all the Kickstarter madness, JH reflections and so on, I thought one flagship IEM has been a bit neglected. The Legend R. Competitive prices aside (I try not to consider price, since that doesn't quite help to keep upgraditis at bay), I think this is one of the best sounding phones if you want an energetic signature that shines in the highs.

Anyway, I did a quick review here comparing against other phones I heard. I'm actually getting the flagships in of these companies over the next few months, so I'll update more as we go along- including new scores, if the production versions sound different from the demos.

In case you're wondering what's so special about these IEMs. Other than their incredible build? Yes, 7 crossovers. Also as I understand it, they've gone into phase-matched drivers (that's what the 'R' stands for).

This is what they say: "We've physically aligned all drivers to be within the same distance/length of each other and have tuned accordingly to truly have all frequencies fire at the same. This design takes phase coherence to the next level by going beyond just the tuning. It's everything from the schematics to the components."

Since I'm local to EarWerkz here in Atlanta, I made an appointment with Jack and stopped by their facility this morning to audition some of their lineup.

They're relatively neutral with an ever-so-slightly warmer sound. Bass is present and impactful, but plays a more naturally complimentary role being not as intensely thunderous in quantity like what you'd get with a dynamic driver. For a BA IEM, the Legend R's bass is very well detailed, however, and goes surprisingly deep into sub-bass. I tried a few tracks by Big K.R.I.T. that really get my car's 10" JL subwoofer rolling and the Legend R handled them with aplomb. Mids were smooth, darker and warmer compared to the rest of the EarWerkz lineup that I tried, but very detailed and lovely. The treble is the real star of the show, however. The treble of the Legend R is incredibly detailed and clear, yet shockingly non-fatiguing. In my experience, balanced armature-based IEMs often have very thin sounding treble that drastically affects the realism of cymbals and drums and guitar distortion. This sort of sound turns snare drum hits into more of a thin, digital whip-crack sound than a full-bodied snare hit. In comparison, the Legend R is lifelike and full-bodied with no thinness or artificiality in reproduction. The engineers at EarWerkz somehow created a wonderful treble mix that is both highly detailed yet also smooth and non-fatiguing. After enjoying the Legend R for awhile, I began to throw every single treble-happy song that's given me trouble with brighter IEMs I've owned in the past. The Legend R seemed to adapt to every track and delivered to me nothing but lovely and detailed sound. Imaging is another strong point of these IEMs. They don't have a staggeringly large soundstage, but the imaging and separation were top-notch.

Dec 21, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #2 of 306
Nice thread openning, jelt2359.

Will need to update the subject header though. The Earwerkz's Legend R are an 8 Driver, 7-Way, 6-Crossover configuration.
The following is taken off their website:

The Legend R comes armed with EIGHT precision tuned armature drivers and an industry leading 7-WAY, SIX crossover points network, all wired internally with blue and gold 7 strand Estron ESW Litz wires*, to produce the most extraordinary sound reproduction possible.

Driver Configuration: Triple Highs, Triple Mids, Dual Lows. 7-Way, Six Crossover Points Network.
Frequency Response: 20 Hz - 20 kHz
Impedance: 25 ohms @ 1 kHz
Sensitivity: 119 dB @ 1 kHz
Noise Isolation: 28 dB, +/-2 dB
Input Connector: 1/8" (3.5 mm) Gold Plated 

My Legend R is is getting more and more addictive as they continue to burn-in. If you liked how they sounded like earlier, you'll love them a lot later. 
L3000.gif

Dec 21, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #3 of 306
  Nice thread openning, jelt2359.

Will need to update the subject header though. The Earwerkz's Legend R are an 8 Driver, 7-Way, 6-Crossover configuration.
The following is taken off their website:

The Legend R comes armed with EIGHT precision tuned armature drivers and an industry leading 7-WAY, SIX crossover points network, all wired internally with blue and gold 7 strand Estron ESW Litz wires*, to produce the most extraordinary sound reproduction possible.

Driver Configuration: Triple Highs, Triple Mids, Dual Lows. 7-Way, Six Crossover Points Network.
Frequency Response: 20 Hz - 20 kHz
Impedance: 25 ohms @ 1 kHz
Sensitivity: 119 dB @ 1 kHz
Noise Isolation: 28 dB, +/-2 dB
Input Connector: 1/8" (3.5 mm) Gold Plated 

My Legend R is is getting more and more addictive as they continue to burn-in. If you liked how they sounded like earlier, you'll love them a lot later. 
L3000.gif

Thanks Kenz. I have updated the thread title. Hopefully mine will arrive soon and I'll be able to update my impressions! How have they changed over time?

Dec 21, 2014 at 3:52 AM Post #4 of 306

Thanks Kenz. I have updated the thread title. Hopefully mine will arrive soon and I'll be able to update my impressions! How have they changed over time?

Anytime :)

The stuff you've read and heard earlier, are all leveling up. :D
The clarity are a notch up, the bass range is tightening, and the vocal imaging going deeper.

And Great to hear you've ordered the Legend R as well.

As much as a broken recorder i may be, the Legend R offer now, is one of those offers that shouldn't be missed. 
There's something for everyone, especially if you're coming from the older non-freqphase version of the JH13pro,like myself.

For those who can afford the Noble K10 (another favorite of mine), JH Roxanne, JH3/16FPs and other top-of-the-line Customs, or looking for a new custom experience, the Legend R is definitely a must try for its promotional price of USD999. They are most definitely worth the USD1299 original price tag. 

It ranks right at the top of my best purchases for 2014. :)

Dec 21, 2014 at 4:10 AM Post #5 of 306
As i'm typing this ... am getting the goosebumps and chills from listening to Lindsey Stirling's Beyond the Veil.

Explosive staging, powerful & rumbling bass, great imaging, the speed of the drums are pumping fast! The drama of this track is totally represented perfectly with the Legend R. 
L3000.gif

Dec 21, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #6 of 306
I went to check out that track on Youtube. Seems really awesome. I can see what you mean when you say an IEM with good prat and speed will really show these off well.

I'll try these also on my Legend R when they get here :)

Dec 21, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #7 of 306
  I went to check out that track on Youtube. Seems really awesome. I can see what you mean when you say an IEM with good prat and speed will really show these off well.

I'll try these also on my Legend R when they get here :)

Glad you like the track. It's just one of many to showcase the Legend R's wide range of capabilities. 

Dec 22, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #9 of 306
On top of Kenz' impressions, I would like to provide a quick update for anyone that's on the fence after reading my brief review. I've been in touch with EarWerkz, and they did think that something was wrong also with the demo set I heard. Nevertheless I heard enough potential to put in an order for a full custom set. I don't like acrylic customs, but I'm going to make an exception this one time.

So for anyone still hesitant, you'll have more info to compare soon. My ear impressions are on the way to them as we speak.

Anyway, I know that there are also other members who either own the customs or have tried the demo, so feel free to chime in. :)

Dec 22, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #10 of 306
Awaiting your full review:)

Jan 2, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #11 of 306
Impression of Legend R CIEM model.

Ok so thanks to Kenz we managed to have a go on his awesomely beautiful custom Legend R. 

And oh my the first thing i did when i saw his clear blue Legend R is to fondle it and stare at it with delight,it is really beautiful!!! The workmanship is top notch and everything within the shell is packed very neatly. Furthermore, there is just no flaw on the acrylic case. The clear blue color is just astonishingly blue.

Ok now to its sound, this is another big surprise! The custom sounded so much different as compared to the demo set. The bass is so much more defined and its there when needed, and never once did it overpowered the sweet and delightful mids that i loved from the demo set. The soundstage is absolutely a marvel to listen too!! This is really one CIEM that is a must get. It is just really very neutral, and the sound signature is just a delight to listen to!

Impression of Legend R Universal demo model.

The first time i placed the Legend in my ears and started a song, i was very and pleasantly surprised by how neutral sounding it was.
The bass is impactful and accurate, though if compared with both the V6S and the V8 it may be considered to be "weaker". It is never overpowering and feels just in place when needed. Although i honestly would have preferred the bass of the V8 as i think it's one of the best sounding bass i have heard.

The soundstage is absolutely fabulous and i think it is one of the highlight of the Legend. The soundstage to me is very spacious and the instrumental seperation is really top notch. The 3D depth that the soundstage presented really allows me to feel fully imensed within the song. This is how i feel a good soundstage imaging should be like. The soundstage of the Legend does not at any time seems to be forcing you to imagine that the instruments are forced to be seperated in a 3D type of way in which some IEMs that i have listened to try to do so by making the soundstage airier then usual.

The mids and highs of the legend is really sweet. Based on this song http://youtu.be/YVLIn6xMSh0 which is too sibilant for me on the K10 for reasons unknown:frowning2:, i can say that the vocals of the Legend is just right and it never in anyway tries to make it sound forced or harsh. The vocals of the Legend is unlike that of the Shure's which tends to exaggerate on the vocals by bringing the vocals more forward then the song actually is, thus some may feel that the Legend may sound boring and not as fun as compared to the Shure's 846 or 535. But i actually appreciate the neutral and flat sound signature that the Legend was able to portray and i would say this is the go to if you want to fully appreciate how the artists wanted their songs to be presented without any coloration from the IEMs.

Jan 2, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #15 of 306
Earwerkz is local to me here in Atlanta. Anyone know if they have a demo of the Legend R available to an interested customer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back