EarWerkz, a new CIEM company, discussion thread
Dec 6, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #286 of 1,544
Thank you for your impressions. Definitely excited that much more from all of the praise it is getting. I have listened to a good portion of current TOTL IEMs, like the JH13FP, JH16FP, Roxanne (SE and AK Balanced), UERM, UE18Pro, K10, and others. Can't wait to hear how the Legend R stacks up against or over the others.

Once the Legend R gets sufficient burn in , will share my impressions of them.

They do a lot of things and there's a fair amount of many areas that the Legend R does well and very well. And so far, they have been living up to the hype.

Dec 6, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #287 of 1,544
Once the Legend R gets sufficient burn in , will share my impressions of them.

They do a lot of things and there's a fair amount of many areas that the Legend R does well and very well. And so far, they have been living up to the hype.

Beautiful. Thank you kenz, I (and I'm sure everyone else) appreciate your upcoming impressions! :bigsmile_face:

Dec 6, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #288 of 1,544
While it may be premature of me to post this, I'd say this for now.

The Legend R, based on just my priliminary run, is truely an awesome piece of work. Solidly built (perhaps the best I've come across in a while, and I've seen many) and the sound is amazing. This is coming from the JH13 (pre freqphase), Heir Audio 8a and JH Roxanne.

The Legend R compares well and does one .. maybe more , better than those 3 customs I own.

Thank you for the preliminary comments.  I definitely look forward to further reviews from you.

If someone also happens to own both K10 and Legend R, I would love to hear his/her views as well.  K10 is the next CIEM on my shopping list.

(Sidetrack: While I know that JH13 and Roxanne are well-respected CIEMs - especially for JH13FP, which is highly regarded in the Head-fi community - I don't find them too appealing.  Perhaps it's my personal preference, perhaps it's my gear, but I don't find them very impressive - I can find more than 10 IEMs/CIEMs to purchase before the two.  No disrespect to owners of JH CIEMs - this is purely personal opinion / preference.  I haven't tried Heir Audio 8.A, so I can't comment on that.)

Dec 6, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #289 of 1,544

Thank you for the preliminary comments.  I definitely look forward to further reviews from you.

If someone also happens to own both K10 and Legend R, I would love to hear his/her views as well.  K10 is the next CIEM on my shopping list.

(Sidetrack: While I know that JH13 and Roxanne are well-respected CIEMs - especially for JH13FP, which is highly regarded in the Head-fi community - I don't find them too appealing.  Perhaps it's my personal preference, perhaps it's my gear, but I don't find them very impressive - I can find more than 10 IEMs/CIEMs to purchase before the two.  No disrespect to owners of JH CIEMs - this is purely personal opinion / preference.  I haven't tried Heir Audio 8.A, so I can't comment on that.)

Thanks Lonelyers,

Just to share, the original JH13 (which i own) sounds absolutely nothing like the JH13 Freqphase version.
If i have to give a one liner summary, the JH13 Freqphase version sounds closer to Fitear C435 mids with JH signature bass.
While the original JH13 is more similar to the Noble K10 (demo which i heard).

However, that said, based on my demo of the K10, the Legend Remastered and Kaiser 10, both have a flavor of their own and equally amazing in their own right. The tricky part now is the music player pairing to give you that sweet spot. Different players do play a big part in the synergy and final output.

Dec 6, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #290 of 1,544
Bww, does anyone have any info whether the Supra is specifically tuned with the comply tips in mind or they are just including only them for comfort reasons? 

Dec 6, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #291 of 1,544
Bww, does anyone have any info whether the Supra is specifically tuned with the comply tips in mind or they are just including only them for comfort reasons? 

They are tuned to them.

Jack wrote:
Unfortunately we will not be test fitting for anymore silicone tips as we designed the Supra's for the included Comply tip for maximum performance. We did find that several off the brand tips did fit though so you're more than welcome to try any aftermarket tips that suit your needs. We apologize for any inconveniences.

Dec 6, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #292 of 1,544
Ah, OK. I literally have a gazillion silicone and foam tips, so it's not really an inconvenience - I was just wondering about it. It's not like I wouldn't tip roll to find the best fit and sound for myself anyway

Dec 7, 2014 at 5:15 AM Post #293 of 1,544
A little more initial impressions to add on.

1. The Legend R seems to cover characteristics of my old JH13 (pre FP), Heir Audio 8a, some bit of UM Legacy and CustomArt H8 pro. 
2. The details are very high, perhaps the highest i've heard on an 8-driver iem. 
3. The smoothness of the presentation is comparable to Rooth's LS10 and Noble's K10 (demos i heard).
4. The bass quantity is very healthy (and smooth), there's plenty of it when the music has it, and can feel the sub-bass when it hits.
    But when it hits, the weight touches and pulls back, making them non-fatiguing. It reminds me of Stax 009 bass, somewhat similar. 
5. The highs goes all the way up effortlessly. 
6. Decay on key instruments is closer to Fitear TG334 characteristics.
7. Vocals have very good layering, detail and emotions.

The Legend R adopts the tonality of the player it is attached to. 
For those who have experience with Fiio X5 and Hifiman HM-901, the Legend R would blend its characteristics with the player's presentation and tonality. very interesting find. 

That's casually what i can put together for now.

And they're really based on my ears and my recollection of the others i've heard recently.
As with any impressions, it's may vary from ear to ear. :)

Dec 7, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #294 of 1,544

1. The Legend R seems to cover characteristics of my old JH13 (pre FP), Heir Audio 8a, some bit of UM Legacy and CustomArt H8 pro. 
2. The details are very high, perhaps the highest i've heard on an 8-driver iem. 

3. The smoothness of the presentation is comparable to Rooth's LS10 and Noble's K10 (demos i heard).

4. The bass quantity is very healthy (and smooth), there's plenty of it when the music has it, and can feel the sub-bass when it hits.
    But when it hits, the weight touches and pulls back, making them non-fatiguing. It reminds me of Stax 009 bass, somewhat similar. 

For those who have experience with Fiio X5 and Hifiman HM-901, the Legend R would blend its characteristics with the player's presentation and tonality. very interesting find. 

And they're really based on my ears and my recollection of the others i've heard recently.

Kenz, excellent short and sweet impression based on your ears and music genres. I just packed my impression into a hard case and will shipped it out tomorrow to Jack.

Cheers,
jT.

Dec 7, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #295 of 1,544

Given that the Legend R is very detailed, would you say that it is (too) analytical?  The main reason I am a bit hesitant to get the Legend R is because I sometimes find analytical IEMs fatiguing for long hours of usage (e.g. Etymotics, RE262/272).  I prefer IEMs which are/sound more musical, coherent and natural - while still maintaining a reasonable level of detail.  This is why I would like to try out the Supra first (no EarWerkz demo available in Hong Kong).  Nonetheless, I still feel quite interested to give Legend R a listen when possible :p

Dec 7, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #296 of 1,544

Given that the Legend R is very detailed, would you say that it is (too) analytical?  The main reason I am a bit hesitant to get the Legend R is because I sometimes find analytical IEMs fatiguing for long hours of usage (e.g. Etymotics, RE262/272).  I prefer IEMs which are/sound more musical, coherent and natural - while still maintaining a reasonable level of detail.  This is why I would like to try out the Supra first (no EarWerkz demo available in Hong Kong).  Nonetheless, I still feel quite interested to give Legend R a listen when possible :p

The Legend R has excellent PRAT and musicality, which prevents it from sounding clinical. It's simply toe-tapping good on both the Hifiman HM901 and Fiio X5. 

My experience with IEMs that cause fatigue are that they are "dry", a lack of dynamics, lacking in musicality, bass hitting too hard.
Any of these factors or a combination of them will lead to fatigue of some sorts. 

Personally i enjoy my iems with the same preference as yours. Which is why, based on my ears, the JH13, Heir 8A and JH Roxanne were my choices in custom.

As best as possible, am trying to relate the Legend R signature to other iems/customs i've heard before, to give as close an impression of its sound.
Then again, ears are such complex tools, we might just pick them up sounding different. 

Dec 7, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #297 of 1,544
So the 20k goal has[size=12.8000001907349px] [/size][size=12.8000001907349px]finally[/size][size=12.8000001907349px] [/size]been reached. I also pitched the idea of adding a blue logo along the red one, so that the logos on the faceplates can be used for color coding the left and right channel and Jack said he'll share it with the team tomorrow. Hopefully they'll also agree it's a good idea and will go for it.

Dec 7, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #298 of 1,544

The Legend R has excellent PRAT and musicality, which prevents it from sounding clinical. It's simply toe-tapping good on both the Hifiman HM901 and Fiio X5. 

My experience with IEMs that cause fatigue are that they are "dry", a lack of dynamics, lacking in musicality, bass hitting too hard.
Any of these factors or a combination of them will lead to fatigue of some sorts. 

Personally i enjoy my iems with the same preference as yours. Which is why, based on my ears, the JH13, Heir 8A and JH Roxanne were my choices in custom.

As best as possible, am trying to relate the Legend R signature to other iems/customs i've heard before, to give as close an impression of its sound.
Then again, ears are such complex tools, we might just pick them up sounding different. 

Interesting. Are those earphones the closest in terms of signature? If that's the case the Legend R may not be for me....

Dec 7, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #299 of 1,544
  Interesting. Are those earphones the closest in terms of signature? If that's the case the Legend R may not be for me....

As with any custom or iem, i doubt there's one that will satisfy everybody. 

The earphones i've mention are based on my experience with them, either owning or demo, and relating the Legend R's characteristics, so readers with those earphones may be able to connect the dots. 

Signature wise, the Legend R is unique in itself and this is putting it in the best possible way, having some of the best characteristics of other iems i've experienced, all rolled into one.

Am trying to avoid generalizing the Legend R signature, so that anyone who might be keen to explore a new custom, would still keep a view on it. 
Maybe a few more impressions and reviews from others, will help solidify any purchase decision one may plan to. 

Given there's only about 24 days left to the end of the promotional USD999 for Legend R, hopefully, my early impressions is sufficient to help those keen in deciding to get them.

Dec 7, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #300 of 1,544
Impressions done and sent, I'll be waiting for them as a child would be for Christmas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back