EarWerkz, a new CIEM company, discussion thread
Oct 5, 2014 at 1:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,544

average_joe

Headphoneus Supremus

EarWerkz is a new CIEM company in Lawrenceville, GA started by audiophiles and musicians.  Their lineup of CIEMs ranges from a dual-driver through an 8-driver, 7-way CIEM.

The sound signature is quite flat, offering a natural and relatively neutral sound from the two models I have heard, the Legend and IV.  They are offering an initial discount and there is also a 10% off coupon through the end of October.  More info here.

If you have any thoughts or impressions, share them in this thread.

Oct 5, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #3 of 1,544
Wow, a seven way design. I would be interested in a comparison to my nt6pro - both are bottlenecked with 3 bores. It would also be interesting to hear a comparison with the se5 to see if more bores or more crossover point win. Obviously implementation is everything, but I always felt the extra crossovers took the hiditions and the se5 to the top of the sq charts with the extra 2 bores giving the se5 the advantage.

What issues are you hearing specifically in soundstage - does it sound like the band is performing in a small closet, or is placement smirred? Is this a final design or are that still tuning?

BTW, are they going to be at CANJAM this year with demos? I'm going to make it for the first time this year so any suggestions on upgrades to my nt6pro that I can demo at CANJAM would be appreciated. Is the harmony pro going to be there?

Oct 5, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #4 of 1,544
Thank you AJ, it is nice to see another ciem maker.

No prob.  More options typically means a win for the consumer!

Wow, a seven way design. I would be interested in a comparison to my nt6pro - both are bottlenecked with 3 bores. It would also be interesting to hear a comparison with the se5 to see if more bores or more crossover point win. Obviously implementation is everything, but I always felt the extra crossovers took the hiditions and the se5 to the top of the sq charts with the extra 2 bores giving the se5 the advantage.

What issues are you hearing specifically in soundstage - does it sound like the band is performing in a small closet, or is placement smirred? Is this a final design or are that still tuning?

BTW, are they going to be at CANJAM this year with demos? I'm going to make it for the first time this year so any suggestions on upgrades to my nt6pro that I can demo at CANJAM would be appreciated. Is the harmony pro going to be there?

I did compare with the SE5 and NT-6, and NT-6 Pro.  The sound signatures of the SE5 and Legend are too different to really compare the two to determine what wins out: # of bores or crossovers.

There is no issue per se; the Legend sounds very good, but it doesn't have the depth of presentation of the others in the TOTL range.  Listening without comparing wouldn't really bring this out unless you are used to the depth and spatial queues.

I can ask if they EarWerkz will be at Can Jam.

Oct 5, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #5 of 1,544
No prob.  More options typically means a win for the consumer!

I did compare with the SE5 and NT-6, and NT-6 Pro.  The sound signatures of the SE5 and Legend are too different to really compare the two to determine what wins out: # of bores or crossovers.

There is no issue per se; the Legend sounds very good, but it doesn't have the depth of presentation of the others in the TOTL range.  Listening without comparing wouldn't really bring this out unless you are used to the depth and spatial queues.

I can ask if they EarWerkz will be at Can Jam.

If you had to compare it to an IEM which one would it be? These look really interesting.

Oct 18, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #8 of 1,544
Today I got to spend about 3 and 1/2 hours with the very friendly staff of EarWerkz.  Jack and Dean couldn't have been nicer, nor any more patient, and it was really refreshing to see how interested they were in getting honest feedback of the lineup.  In the coming days, I'll be putting together my thoughts on their line-up and posting it over at cymbacavum.com (and linking it here of course).  I was pleasantly surprised by several of the models in the line-up, as well as falling in love with 2 in particular. EarWerkz will certainly be a brand I'll readily recommend. Thumbs up to AJ for bringing EarWerkz to Head-Fi's attention and thanks again to Jack for taking so much time out of his weekend to give me a visit.

Oct 19, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #9 of 1,544
Any particulars with SQ?

Oct 27, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #12 of 1,544
Jack has told me he is going to offer a universal version of his EP-2 and it's going to start as a KickStarter campaign. I've no details at the moment on exact starting date but am told it could be as early as this coming weekend.

Oct 27, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #13 of 1,544
Sounds like exciting news after reading your review. Any clue as to possible price point?

Oct 27, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #14 of 1,544
Sounds like exciting news after reading your review. Any clue as to possible price point?

Just heard from Jack. Here is what they are looking at:

10 Slots: $229.00
20 Slots: $249.00
30 Slots: $279.00
Unlimited: $299.00
MSRP will be $349.00.

You will have the choice of pro (over ear) or hero (down) cables. Choice of clear or black faceplate and all available colors for shells. Colors are translucent.

I'm going to jump on this, as I loved the EP-2. I'm thinking clear faceplate and turquoise shells.

Oct 27, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #15 of 1,544
My impressions of the line up are now posted on Cymbacavum: http://cymbacavum.com/2014/10/26/the-backyard-biz-shotgunshanes-visit-to-earwerkz/

Thanks for taking the time to make such a great writeup! 

You said you preferred the Legend to the JH-13FP. Can you offer any comments with the Legend vs the UERM? Does it make a good compliment, or is it more or less redundant since they share similar neutral signatures?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back