EarSonics' two flagships: the universal S-EM9, and new custom EM10.
Dec 22, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #451 of 1,260
thanks for the EM32 comparison, very helpful! when you say sub bass is less then the em32s but the same level as the Velvets, is that Velvets in warm mode or balanced mode?

Dec 23, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #452 of 1,260
Hi Sly, thank you for this more detailed comparison. I'll will probably sell my EM32 and Encore to get them :)

Dec 23, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #453 of 1,260
You are weclome Aras.

As I remember, it's near the quantity of Velvet on balanced mode but their quality is more controlled, tight, textured and layered.

Dec 23, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #454 of 1,260
  thanks for the EM32 comparison, very helpful! when you say sub bass is less then the em32s but the same level as the Velvets, is that Velvets in warm mode or balanced mode?

I find it hard to say whether the S-EM9 has more bass than the Velvet on balanced, although quality is on a higher level.

But since you appear to be quite a basshead, as I also partially am, I'd strongly suggest looking into the Headstage Arrow 5TX. Its an amp that's a few mm thick, and about half the length of the smartphone. But it can increase bass by prob 2-3x more (+18 db of bass in total), and all these slight differences really become redundant.. 

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #455 of 1,260
Thanks for the EM32 comparison, very helpful! when you say sub bass is less then the em32s but the same level as the Velvets, is that Velvets in warm mode or balanced mode?

I agree with @sly_in_the_sky and @flinkenick, I'll add that to my ears, the experience with the Velvet in warm mode is closer to the S-EM9 than balanced mode because of the lower mids being more present in warm mode. The Velvet being more U shaped, I feel the bass is more prominent no matter the quantity.

The more I listen to the S-EM9 especially with Mojo, the more I come to appreciate the S-EM9 bass as being one of its strongsuits quality wise (love the texture) and probably one of the reason they get you in that great groove :) The Velvet was already very good, the S-EM9 indeed adds refinement (love percussions with the S-EM9, listening to Your Name/My Game from Herman Düne and it rocks!).

And all this with the stock cable, I expect improvement in that department with the Whiplash cable that I am waiting for.

Dec 23, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #456 of 1,260
You are welcome Rollk2...:)

But sincerly, even if Sem9 are a step above the Em32 technically, I would not sell the Em32 due to the fact that I love them for long period listening... I have to admit one thing, is't a subjective point of view but due to the treble energy of the Sem9, their details and micro-details in all the spectrum and their dynamics, sometimes, I can't listen to them to much loud for a very very long period (it must be my age...:wink:)... I don't have this little problem with Em32 that I can listen easily for hours and hours...

Warning: I don't say Sem9 are fatiguing but listening to them with a certain volume, it's really like being in front of a concert... would you stay for hours listening a concert without fatigue? I'll say no... Dynamics and details are so, that for long sessions, it's clear that I have to turn the volume down with the Sem9, not with the Em32.

It's surely due to the fact that Em32 are tuned for long sessions of live concert... it's a professionnal product... I don't know.

The second reason I would not sell the Em32... upgrade possibility/easy to use/comfort of a Ciem... :)

Dec 23, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #458 of 1,260
I think so...

But it's a subjective point of view... It depends on many subjective factors, it must be taken with a grain of salt... Someone with different sensitivity will say that Em32 have to much fatiguing sub bass for example... (not for me)

But I think that energic treble, details and dynamic "can" cause strain depending on volume, tastes, age, ears problems and so on...

Dec 26, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #459 of 1,260
Warning: I don't say Sem9 are fatiguing but listening to them with a certain volume, it's really like being in front of a concert... would you stay for hours listening a concert without fatigue? I'll say no... Dynamics and details are so, that for long sessions, it's clear that I have to turn the volume down with the Sem9, not with the Em32.

Good point, I have noticed that I tend to push the volume up because of its engaging and dynamic nature, and the fact it's non fatiguing but there is a limit to that when you do push the volume indeed :)

Dec 28, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #460 of 1,260
I decided to part with the ZX2 and after much reading I decided to go for the Fiio X7 instead of XDP 100 or LGV10 as a replacement, I tried the phone + Mojo stack but there are many situations where I found myself wishing for a DAP (mainly when commuting with shorter sessions... I don't mind phone + mojo on a long train ride or plane, but in the subway it's less practical).

Anyway, my very early impressions is that the X7 is a very good pair with the S-EM9. As suprising as it may be, I think the X7 does a better job than the ZX2, granted you loose detail and micro contrast, bass loose some punch and treble loose some sparkle, and separation is not as good but you gain wider soundstage, fuller mids and a more balanced sound. Overall the X7 is a more euphonic experience, less analytical and more cohesive.

I'll get back with further impressions on the S-EM9 with the X7.

Dec 28, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #461 of 1,260
  I decided to part with the ZX2 and after much reading I decided to go for the Fiio X7 instead of XDP 100 or LGV10 as a replacement, I tried the phone + Mojo stack but there are many situations where I found myself wishing for a DAP (mainly when commuting with shorter sessions... I don't mind phone + mojo on a long train ride or plane, but in the subway it's less practical).

Anyway, my very early impressions is that the X7 is a very good pair with the S-EM9. As suprising as it may be, I think the X7 does a better job than the ZX2, granted you loose detail and micro contrast, bass loose some punch and treble loose some sparkle, and separation is not as good but you gain wider soundstage, fuller mids and a more balanced sound. Overall the X7 is a more euphonic experience, less analytical and more cohesive.

I'll get back with further impressions on the S-EM9 with the X7.

for the bass can u get it close to zx2 with eqing the fiio x7

Dec 28, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #462 of 1,260
The Mojo will improve just listening music from a smart phone. If you have a good Dap any good PORTABLE amp/dac will scale it.

Dec 28, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #463 of 1,260

Depends on what you're talking about, bass quantity on the X7 is not shy of the ZX2 but the presentation is very different. The ZX2's bass is more impactful and tight, with more texture. The X7 is not weak or shy in the bass department, but it's more "relaxed", it doesn't stand out as much. That's the general sound sig of the X7 (at least paired with S-EM9, YMMV), relaxed and euphonic. Probably the lesser separation does come into play here.

Dec 28, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #465 of 1,260
So which one would you say is technically better? What about dynamics?
What made you go for the X7, did you audition it first? Do you hear similarities with the Sony amp bc of the ES9018 dac?
Lot of questions I know
smily_headphones1.gif

Legitimate questions, especially ZX2 -> X7 might look like downgrade :p

I would say technically the ZX2 is better : dynamics, level of detail, speed, better texture, transparency... I don't mean the X7 is not good technically, just not as "good" as ZX2. This being said the X7 sounds a lot more coherent to me, they have done a lot of work on tuning this one. I know the ESS9018 quite well from the PHA-3, the implementation is quite different, less Sabre like and more Woflson-ish / Cirrus-ish if it makes sense while retaining the qualities of the ESS (detail). BTW, not sure if the PHA-3 uses the 8 channel ESS9018S in the X7.

The X7 is warm sounding, lush, I think the mids are the selling point and that's probably why I think the X7 fits the S-EM9 better (to my taste and for the music I listen). Vocals are more forward and qualitative, it's clearly an area where the X7 has way better texture and this makes a difference! Last but not least the soundstage is significantly wider, with equal depth. The way I see it the X7 has a fun, engaging and relaxing sound. It probably won't appeal to the purist looking for detail, transparency and clarity first and foremost. 

Now that I have the Mojo, which is clearly superior to the ZX2 in terms of transparency, detail, separation, dynamics it makes sense for me to have a DAP with a more relaxed sig :)

Also, an important deciding factor was the open system with amp modules, I purchased the X7 with the upcoming balanced module in mind. Also knowing the X7 evolves fast (now support playstore, should support Lollipop soon contrary to the Sony).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back