EarSonics' two flagships: the universal S-EM9, and new custom EM10.
Dec 29, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #481 of 1,260

I read in the ATH-IM series thread that the IM02 is very sensitive to source. It needs a DAP with output impedance with 1 ohm or less to bring out its best. Most other IEMs are not that picky.

Yes, a good review, I just am (uneducated) guessing other factors are involved- as I said, in my experience the sound did not strictly correlate to output impedance differences- my favorite source was 3.something ohms, my least favorite was 0.6, I thought "well maybe I'm just experiencing favorable distortion", but then it sounded just fine with other low impedance sources. IM02 is the most dramatic, but I have used others with their own incongruities, and others still with very minimal variations I imagine are "true to source" as it were.

Anyway, getting a little off topic- I only meant to posit that as a possible reason for bouyouhou's dissatisfaction with the Plenue compared to iPod- impressions from david and others seem to indicate s-em9 is fairly stable in that regard so it might not be the case at all and entirely the character of the Plenue itself. I just hope it goes well with my AK Jr.
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #482 of 1,260
  Yes, a good review, I just am (uneducated) guessing other factors are involved- as I said, in my experience the sound did not strictly correlate to output impedance differences- my favorite source was 3.something ohms, my least favorite was 0.6, I thought "well maybe I'm just experiencing favorable distortion", but then it sounded just fine with other low impedance sources. IM02 is the most dramatic, but I have used others with their own incongruities, and others still with very minimal variations I imagine are "true to source" as it were.

Anyway, getting a little off topic- I only meant to posit that as a possible reason for bouyouhou's dissatisfaction with the Plenue compared to iPod- impressions from david and others seem to indicate s-em9 is fairly stable in that regard so it might not be the case at all and entirely the character of the Plenue itself.

I'm not a numbers guy myself, but hearing is indeed very subjective. When we buy high-end gear we tend to have expectations in our head, no doubt fueled by the impressions here and terms like "veil is lifted" or "hearing new details". The experience is different for everyone, and when it doesn't meet our expectations we get a bit miffed. When I got my AK which is reputably transparent and neutral I felt it was lacking bass at first (coming from FiiO players which are mostly warmish). But after 2 weeks of listening my brain adjusted and going back to the FiiO I found the latter slightly congested and muddy in comparison. So I would think like this now. Get as neutral and uncoloured a source/amp as possible, and let the IEM/headphone do the colouring. Worked out for me so far.

Dec 29, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #483 of 1,260
RE: The Plenue 1, I just remembered reading some impressions in the past (i think on Headfonia or one of those similar sites) that said it has a little bit of an 'analog' type of sound with softened highs, though not lacking in detail... might explain the complaint here. I think a few of the iPods are known for a colder/analytical character? (certainly was the case with my old 4th or 5th gen Nano, though I didn't realize until I started trying other devices).

-found the article in question- http://cymbacavum.com/2014/08/02/rapid-reaction-cowon-plenue-p1/
That was the most stupid review which actully came out before the release of the unit.

Dec 30, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #484 of 1,260
Dec 30, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #485 of 1,260
Yes, I have seen... my sister who took the photos will be proud...:)

Dec 31, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #487 of 1,260
Thank you Flinkenick.:)

Dec 31, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #488 of 1,260
In then end I'll be returning the FiiO X7 and keeping the ZX2, too bad as it had great potential but issues with shielding causes interference with Wi-Fi (plus a couple of annoying issues like player stopping erratically) and I didn't remember android 4.x has restrictions which means no storing on SD card for Tidal (with 32GB, way too short...). Maybe FiiO X7 II when it's out, we'll see...

Dec 31, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #490 of 1,260
I was a bit surprised you went for it after the stream of bad reviews.. Like you, they all say 'great potential'. Nice that you can just return it, at least you have the experience of how it sounds now :wink:

The reviews I read were rather good, nothing was said about EMI it has fairly recently cropped up on the X7 thread as most reviewers don't even use streaming services or didn't for the review. I like the idea of amps modules like the HiFiMan have. I haven't seen enough feedback on the Pioneer XDP 100 to get an opinion, Acoustic Research M2 is interesting but also Android 4.x means you need to root to store 3rd party app music to SD... Right now the ZX2 is of course great already :)

I don't think there is enough competition on the "smart" DAPs segment, if I hadn't the constraints I might look at QP1R or AK 120 II for example.

Dec 31, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #491 of 1,260

The reviews I read were rather good, nothing was said about EMI it has fairly recently cropped up on the X7 thread as most reviewers don't even use streaming services or didn't for the review. I like the idea of amps modules like the HiFiMan have. I haven't seen enough feedback on the Pioneer XDP 100 to get an opinion, Acoustic Research M2 is interesting but also Android 4.x means you need to root to store 3rd party app music to SD... Right now the ZX2 is of course great already :)

I don't think there is enough competition on the "smart" DAPs segment, if I hadn't the constraints I might look at QP1R or AK 120 II for example.

the new VentureCraft Soundroid VALOQ has replacable OPAMP chip, though it looks a little more technical than the X7's cartridge design. Also another one of those "TOTL DAP, BOTL UI" deals.

Dec 31, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #492 of 1,260
  the new VentureCraft Soundroid VALOQ has replacable OPAMP chip, though it looks a little more technical than the X7's cartridge design. Also another one of those "TOTL DAP, BOTL UI" deals.

Interesting thanks!

No reference online that I could find... in development?

Dec 31, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #493 of 1,260

Interesting thanks!

No reference online that I could find... in development?

fanthread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/788756/introducing-venturecraft-soundroid-valoq-sdp-1-impression-thread-check-second-post-for-updates
think only one or two ppl have it yet
musica acoustics has it for sale

Dec 31, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #494 of 1,260
Dec 31, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #495 of 1,260
And it has a lot of issues and sound signature is average at best.

So many DAPs just... uggh. My 30 dollar Clip+ has more functionality than my AK Jr.  Portable audio industry needs more software engineers lol
deadhorse.gif

Tempted to just sell everything and switch to ZX2 or something... sacrifice some specs/performance maybe but at least Sony make a good UI & build quality... hopefully adequate for  getting most out of S-EM9? Would miss that usb dac functionality of the JR though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back