EarSonics' two flagships: the universal S-EM9, and new custom EM10.
Jan 18, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #557 of 1,260
Yeah I think so, don't take it too seriously I'm not sure myself

Ok it's just that I don't know what "plug touching the amp" means :p
Plug goes into a socket, doesn't it?

Jan 19, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #558 of 1,260
I finally got my DP-X1 and been running them balanced with the S-EM9, using the Whiplash copper cable and it's pure bliss :) First thing is that black background, really impressive. 

Running S-EM9 balanced really improves imaging it's nothing short of spectacular! Separation is clearly better. Soundstage improvement is more marginal that expected, depth improves more than width here. Still significant, but not like "wow".

I like the DP-X1 pairing with S-EM9 better than with ZX2. The smooth slightly warm sound of the DP-X1 goes well with the Earsonics (for my taste).

Jan 19, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #560 of 1,260
  How about DP-X1 compared to Mojo?

I need more time on the DP-X1 but if I had to sum it up on first impression the Mojo has more wow factor as it's more energetic (dynamics is really other wordly, pRat is amazing) but the DP-X1 is more refined (imaging is more precise balanced, more micro details and better texture). I'd probably pick the Mojo for rock and the DP-X1 for Jazz for example. 

I need more time on the DP-X1 and I also need to get my Mojo back from repair to do some A/B testing!

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #561 of 1,260
I tried the TWspc v3 (sliver plated copper) again single ended with the DP-X1, as there are issue with the 2.5 socket (reports of socket break down...) and I wouldn't take a straight plug on the move given the issue for now I'll use SE on the go (until I find a good cable with 2.5 right angled).

I was suprised how different it was with DP-X1 from other sources I tried it with, it's all about synergy! It's actually pretty good compared to TWcu OM v3 (copper) even balanced which is saying a lot about the cable quality. Interestingly I need a tad less volume to play it as loud (strange...) and bass as more impact. Treble is amazing but suffers from no harshness thus it must have shown the source limitations (FiiO E18 and DragonFly when I was DAPless and without Mojo).

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #563 of 1,260
Now i get really interested by a new cable...

TWspc v3?

It's that one : http://www.whiplashaudio.com/cables/headphone-cables/new-twspc-v3.html

Jan 20, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #564 of 1,260
@davidmolliere, yes i know :) i just wanted to know what this one bring to the table compared to others? Or more accurately, how should i choose the cable and the options associated (8 connectors?)?

I have to say that i read a lot about cable but it is still a little bit confusing.

Jan 21, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #565 of 1,260
@davidmolliere, yes i know
smily_headphones1.gif
i just wanted to know what this one bring to the table compared to others? Or more accurately, how should i choose the cable and the options associated (8 connectors?)?

I have to say that i read a lot about cable but it is still a little bit confusing.

I am still new to cable, I chose 4 conductors for price but also bulk, I wouldn't use a 8 conductors on the go and while I am convinced now cable do make a difference in SQ I am not yet convinced going all out to 8 conductors makes as much of a difference (law of diminishing returns).

From what I understand, copper is meant to be warmer sounding with low end and lush mids. Silver aims at better clarity and transparency, as well as better treble extension. Silver plated copper is an attempt at getting best of both world but I think there is no real consensus on their performance. I am pretty happy with the TWspc, it has extra transparency and clarity and sparkle up top without sounding harsh (with DP-X1) in fact it has better low end than the TWcu which was unexpected. Also it seems more efficient as I can lower volume to 90 instead of 100 (out of 160) on DP-X1.

People with more knowledge can definitely give you more insight.

Jan 21, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #566 of 1,260
I think davidmolliere might've been right about the cable... have not had a recurrance of the cut-out the past day or two. There are a few small spots of pitting or tarnish in one the left mmcx socket too, wonder if that might have been breaking contact when positioned 'just so'. Ordered a spare cable just to have a backup (Linum BaX, for comfort/no memory wire, hopefully the extra resistance doesn't mess with the sound too much). *edit* replacement cable fixed issue

Was also having what I thought was some channel imbalance... I already have a slight right-ear bias, but thought I was losing hearing for a minute, or the cable possibly, but then I was looking at the eartips and it had a sort of 'bubble' in it making a weak spot where the tip would fold when inserted, cutting the soundtube diameter in half
confused_face.gif
- at first I was disappointed there were three pairs of only one size grey biflanges because they are just a touch large for me but they also sound the best, now I'm grateful 
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #567 of 1,260
  I think davidmolliere might've been right about the cable... have not had a recurrance of the cut-out the past day or two. There are a few small spots of pitting or tarnish in one the left mmcx socket too, wonder if that might have been breaking contact when positioned 'just so'. Ordered a spare cable just to have a backup (Linum BaX, for comfort/no memory wire, hopefully the extra resistance doesn't mess with the sound too much).

Great news :)

On a sidenote, although I love them I have decided to part with the S-EM9, I think I am more a dynamic driver kind of guy (I have fond memories of the IE800 despite their fatiguing nature), listening to the NightHawks a lot recently might have influenced me. I ordered AK T8ie and I can't keep both, I'll post in the For Sale forum soon, just giving you a heads up as those are hard to find these days and I'd love them to get a headfi owner :)  (Sorry they're gone!)

Jan 22, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #569 of 1,260
Thanks @davidmolliere !
I might get the same (TWspc v3) as i am looking for improvement in sub bass. Looks beautiful too !

Cable are hard to pick, you can't audition them and the pairing with source sure also comes into play. I didn't like the TWspc from the DragonFly and FiiO E18 but found it brillant with DP-X1, go figure...

Jan 22, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #570 of 1,260
Oh my, sorry for derailing the thread a bit but I just spent an hour with the AK T8ie and it's really what I was looking for same "wow" as the IE800 but with a silky smooth yet detailed signature and very fast for a dynamic... very hard to put down...dynamic drivers have potential despite their being rare among TOTL, beyerdynamic has nailed it for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back