EarSonics' two flagships: the universal S-EM9, and new custom EM10.
Jan 16, 2016 at 4:44 AM Post #541 of 1,260
I got my silver plated copper Whiplash TWspc v3 cable with a simple 3.5 jack to go along with the (unfortunately back for repair) Mojo... Not so long ago I was very doubtful about cables but this one is not too expensive and a noticeable improvement from the stock cable, first thing I noticed is tighter better textured bass and better transparency and clarity. Highs have a bit more sparkle without being harsh. Mids don't seem to be affected.

Can't wait to test the copper TWcu v3 OM balanced with the DP-X1 that should arrive next week (finally, released from customs!), I'll report when I get it :)

Also ordered JVC Spiral Dots, I'll report on synergy with the S-EM9

Jan 16, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #542 of 1,260
Oh you ordered 2? Nice man, looking forward to balanced impressions. I might get a second mmcx iem in the near future, been thinking about getting a nice copper as well, then it will be worth it. Maybe balanced..

The ES cable has a slight veil over the midrange, it's right you'll find most improvement there, along with better bass control but they are linked of course.

Do you think the TWcu will be better?

Jan 16, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #543 of 1,260
Oh you ordered 2? Nice man, looking forward to balanced impressions. I might get a second mmcx iem in the near future, been thinking about getting a nice copper as well, then it will be worth it. Maybe balanced..

The ES cable has a slight veil over the midrange, it's right you'll find most improvement there, along with better bass control but they are linked of course.

Do you think the TWcu will be better?

Well, I ordered one for the ZX2 (3.5 TRRS) but received a 2.5 TRRS TWcu instead, I thought I would return it but decided to sell ZX2 and then ordered the DP-X1 and kept it.

I wanted to have a cable I could use with the Mojo, and figured I would try something different than pure copper thus the TWspc. I think I'll prefer copper, silver plated copper is nice in term of getting both a nice deep end and more detail up top as well as better transparency but it's a bit too bright for me (at least with the DragonFly and FiiO E18, since Mojo is out for repair and I have no DAP until I receive the DP-X1). I think I wouldn't like full silver. Maybe I am influenced by the sessions with the darker AudioQuest NightHawk I recently acquired.

We'll see how balanced copper turns out to be, I think I'll like it better. I have hopes for the mids :)
In any case the cable upgrade really takes things further with the S-EM9.

Jan 17, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #545 of 1,260
  S-EM9 DAP What is the best?

You mean which DAP has the best synergy?

Since there is no absolute best, it's going to be hard to answer :wink:

This being said, maybe we could dig more into which DAP we feel is a right fit for the S-EM9 in our opinion and according to our taste.

As far as I am concerned I didn't think Sony ZX2 was the best fit for the S-EM9, I suspect this has something to do with power I think the S-EM9 might not be as easy to drive as their spec would have you think. Running them through the Mojo I discovered a whole new dimension to them and so far it's the best source I have run them with. 

I'll receive the Onkyo DP-X1 this week, and run the S-EM9 balanced which I suspect could be very beneficial, we'll see!

Jan 17, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #548 of 1,260
Jan 17, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #549 of 1,260
These sound great but I am having sound sporadically cut out of the left earpiece, don't think it is the cable, think it's movement related but it's hardto reproduce... loose solder or something maybe...
frown.gif

*edit* was solved by replacing the cable (using ALO Tinsel (OM) now)

Jan 17, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #550 of 1,260
Hi all,

Thanks to all of you for your answers 3 weeks ago about S-EM9/P1 and the P1 itself. I will respond probably in 10 days, i am travelling that is why i was not able to answer. But my idea about the combo above has changed... !

@flinkenick, excellent review mate, i do agree on most of your points and it is really well written but that is not a surprise :wink: Will give a better appreciation later as your review deserve it !

One thing, my point of view about the soundstage is different and i would even put this particular point as a 'pros'. In fact i really think that it is a matter of what kind of music you are listening. And because the S-EM9 is absolutely great for "fast" music i do think that its soundstage is almost perfect as it fits so well with the above mentionned kind of music (let's say hip-hop/rnb/electronic music). But i will explain myself more as soon as i come back.

Can't wait to be back and listen my beloved S-EM9 again !

Jan 18, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #551 of 1,260
  These sound great but I am having sound sporadically cut out of the left earpiece, don't think it is the cable, think it's movement related but it's hardto reproduce... loose solder or something maybe...
frown.gif

That's definitely an issue with the MMCX connector, it's not specific to S-EM9, I did have a few occurences with the stock cable in particular none with the Whiplash. I think its bound to happen more with memory wire too.

One thing, my point of view about the soundstage is different and i would even put this particular point as a 'pros'. In fact i really think that it is a matter of what kind of music you are listening. And because the S-EM9 is absolutely great for "fast" music i do think that its soundstage is almost perfect as it fits so well with the above mentionned kind of music (let's say hip-hop/rnb/electronic music). But i will explain myself more as soon as i come back.

I look forward to your input on that front!

Jan 18, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #552 of 1,260

That's definitely an issue with the MMCX connector, it's not specific to S-EM9, I did have a few occurences with the stock cable in particular none with the Whiplash. I think its bound to happen more with memory wire too.

Interesting... unfortunately don't have any spare cables to try... I'll try reversing polarity and see if it happens on the right.

Since that post I've narrowed it down a bit- I've tried holding the earpiece and moving the cable around in different directions and it doesn't reproduce the problem, which is what leads me to think it's an internal issue (maybe on inside of the socket). If I move my head from side to side I can get it to happen sometimes, and hold the earpiece in that position and wiggle the cable around and it doesn't cut back in.

Just trying to figure out an accurate description before I send an email tomorrow.

*edit* ended up replacing cable, no further issues

Jan 18, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #553 of 1,260
  Interesting... unfortunately don't have any spare cables to try... I'll try reversing polarity and see if it happens on the right.

Since that post I've narrowed it down a bit- I've tried holding the earpiece and moving the cable around in different directions and it doesn't reproduce the problem, which is what leads me to think it's an internal issue (maybe on inside of the socket). If I move my head from side to side I can get it to happen sometimes, and hold the earpiece in that position and wiggle the cable around and it doesn't cut back in.

Just trying to figure out an accurate description before I send an email tomorrow.

Hmmm, strange if it doesn't change when you shift the earpiece then it's probably something else :-\
Good luck!

I think Earsonics will be eager to fix it, they take great pride in the S-EM9!

Jan 18, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #554 of 1,260

I've actually had similar issues with the left side falling away.. But in my case when using a silver litz 8-strand, I don't think with the standard cable.

I'm not sure if this is the explanation, but my working theory is that it has something to do with the plug touching the amp, because when I turn it it would change sometimes.. I think it was only with the P1 > Arrow combination, not the 901S. Did you check with a different source?

Hi all,

Thanks to all of you for your answers 3 weeks ago about S-EM9/P1 and the P1 itself. I will respond probably in 10 days, i am travelling that is why i was not able to answer. But my idea about the combo above has changed... !

@flinkenick, excellent review mate, i do agree on most of your points and it is really well written but that is not a surprise
wink.gif
Will give a better appreciation later as your review deserve it !

Can't wait to be back and listen my beloved S-EM9 again !

Thanks for the kind words buddy, appreciate that. Looking forward to your thoughts, I'm glad you only see it as a pro!

Just to clarify, the reason I've been explicit about the slightly intimate soundstage, is that I feel it is my duty to report all possible cons. If people know it might have a slightly smaller soundstage and still buy it, they will only be positively surprised if it turns out to be ok. The flipside is that if I hadn't mentioned it in the beginning and people would buy it expecting a large soundstage, the disappointment would be bigger especially considering its price. They'd be like, hey you could have at least mentioned it was smaller. 

But I have mentioned the imaging and quality within the soundstage are exceptional!

Jan 18, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #555 of 1,260
  I'm not sure if this is the explanation, but my working theory is that it has something to do with the plug touching the amp, because when I turn it it would change sometimes.. 

Not sure I get what you mean there, the plug touching the amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back