Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread
Jan 31, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #1,396 of 1,656
I think CIEMs are not worth it. They do not really have better sound than TOTL universal IEMs (think Earsonics S-EM6 or the new JH Audio Layla), affordable CIEMs are surely worse than SM64 and there's no chance of selling them when the time to upgrade comes. They are good for musicians, because only they need 100% isolation, on the stage. Us consumers really don't. Personally I think 100% isolation is dangerous, especially out on the streets.

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #1,397 of 1,656
I haven't used my SM64 in a while, (catching up with the loads of stuff/gear I got in my out-of-control-holiday-shopping-spree, and particularly learning how to use my ciems, it is indeed a learning process getting a good fit/seal, not sure it is worth the trouble), did love them though, and very comfortable, one of the easier to fit headphones for me (though,this is so individual).. I'll pull them out (just got home a short while ago from work), connect the Pono to the iMac, get back. I think you can't go wrong with them, though...

Not sure I understand what you are saying here - with my CIEMs, I pop them in, tug my earlobe and give my head a shake and they seal - takes all of a couple of seconds. They shouldn't budge from there. Are you having an issue with fit?

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #1,398 of 1,656
I'm sure I'm having an issue with fit, likely be sending them back to acs soon. But, I get better at fitting them the longer I have them. But, never been able to "pop" them in the way you describe it. Posts I've read make it sound like it is common to have to play around to get the fit right. acs even puts out a video on how to do it, sort of kneeding them into the ridge inside the pinna. But, I have already emailed them, been stalling because it is a bit of a pain, but I'll probably box and ship them over the next few days. Still, my point was, it isn't a given that ciems will always be easy and perfect fitting, molds or no. Glad you had such a good experience with them, though. (though I see some really nice ciems in your collection haven't stopped you from buying other, nice universals).

Feb 1, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #1,399 of 1,656
Nice fitting CIEMs can't stop me from buying - anything! - Seriously, the Universals in the collection are there for many reasons - the ability to share my hobby with friends and family - to try different signatures (the 846 just doesn't come in custom form - lol) and to be frank, for resale value. The customs I own have been researched to the point where it will take a financial wallop for me to ever sell them. Not one of them is a disappointment - they all make me ludicrously happy in their own way.

Feb 11, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #1,403 of 1,656
  I just finished reading the whole thread. That 5khz suckout/drop debate was really intense! 

Do people still like this phone?

That drop is the reason I can enjoy IEMs again! It takes away all the harshness and presents us a fatigue free, detailed and musical sound. It's Earsonics house sound. SM64 is one of the best IEMs on the market, and the best at its price point.

Feb 11, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #1,405 of 1,656
Does anyone have experience with Son-Video?

http://www.son-video.com/Rayons/Casque-intra-auriculaire/Earsonics-SM64.html

Only seller I have found for these in Europe besides the official Earsonics website.

Feb 11, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #1,406 of 1,656
  Do people still like this phone?

I recently got to listen to the JH Roxanne.
Say what you want, but I would not give my SM64 away for this thing.
Still my favorite IEM after all these years.

Does anyone have experience with Son-Video?

http://www.son-video.com/Rayons/Casque-intra-auriculaire/Earsonics-SM64.html

Only seller I have found for these in Europe besides the official Earsonics website.

Looks legit.
Go for it :wink:

Feb 11, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #1,407 of 1,656
  I recently got to listen to the JH Roxanne.
Say what you want, but I would not give my SM64 away for this thing.
Still my favorite IEM after all these years.

Looks legit.
Go for it :wink:

Oh Hi, I noticed you since the beginning of this thread when I read the whole thing.

I will mainly listen to female vocals with them, Chinese/Japanese/English etc.

I posted this in other threads already, do you think the SM64 will suit?

Budget - ~400€
Source - FiiO e07k
Requirements for Isolation - prefer high, I want to be mobile with them, but I can deal with a little bit less too.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM
Preferred tonal balance - balanced-warm, thick, yet clear mids, don't mind lots of well-defined bass, well extended flat treble response
Past headphones - UM3X, Shure 420: both too flat sounding; Havi B3 p1: not enough bass, bass was great with bass-boost though, midrange is too thin and cold sounding; KC06A: Soundstage-depth too low, a little bit too cold, I like the overall frequency repsonse; Tenore: treble extension was not good enough, I like the warmth.

Preferred Music - prefer an all-rounder for female vocals(!), ballads, pop, classic, instrumental music

Location - Germany

Thanks!

Feb 11, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #1,410 of 1,656
  I will mainly listen to female vocals with them, Chinese/Japanese/English etc.
I posted this in other threads already, do you think the SM64 will suit?

I am by no means an expert when it comes to female vocals, Pop and so on, but looking at your preferred tonal balance I think that the SM64 will not disappoint you :wink:

^sounds great with the SM64

Users who are viewing this thread

Back