Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread
Jan 29, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #1,381 of 1,656
Can anyone recommend a decent portable DAP for on the go listening? I currently have the Clip Zip but I guess it will not drive the SM64 too well.

Do you think the new Fiio X1 would be a substantial improvement over the Zip?

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #1,382 of 1,656
^^ I have a similar question. I'm thinking of getting the upcoming Galaxy S6 which will have a Wolfson dac. I wonder it will be good enough to drive SM64. I'm currently driving them with iPhone 6 (European version) and Sony Xperia Z1 Compact and neither is as good as Meridian Explorer2 that I use at home with my laptop. 

Do you recommend an amp or DAP?

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #1,383 of 1,656
  Can anyone recommend a decent portable DAP for on the go listening? I currently have the Clip Zip but I guess it will not drive the SM64 too well.

I personally really don't like the UI and the wheel thingamabob of the Fiio DAPs.
Couldn't be more happy with my iBasso DX50 and would only trade it for the DX90. Right now no other DAP out there really interests me.

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #1,384 of 1,656

Oh gosh yes. Substantial improvement in both detail and note weight. Not to mention the X1 can take 128 GB card and I believe it has better battery life.

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #1,385 of 1,656
Not to mention the X1 can take 128 GB card and I believe it has better battery life.

My Clip Zip also takes 128GB formatted as FAT32. Regarding battery life - not sure about X1 but my Rockboxed Zip is pretty good - 10+ hours of hi-res.

My main concern is sound quality and loudness.

Jan 29, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #1,386 of 1,656
My Clip Zip also takes 128GB formatted as FAT32. Regarding battery life - not sure about X1 but my Rockboxed Zip is pretty good - 10+ hours of hi-res.

My main concern is sound quality and loudness.

Still offers improvement in both.

Jan 29, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #1,387 of 1,656
I had started off with iPods/iPod Touch, then a Zip, then went to a Hifisound Anniversary III (worlds worst UI and reliability in my experience), a Samsung YPP (blah), then the Fiio X3, which I liked sonically, hated UI. Next got the iBasso DX90, better UI AND SOUND, replaced the X3. Currently, the Pono replaced the DX90, it sounds better AND has much better UI. Have only used DX90 once since I got the Pono, one day when I wanted music for my dog walk, and the Pono had died (had used it while removing snow and quite a bit more time). Instantly missed my Pono, cleaner, more detailed, DX90 had a kind of scrim or haze the sound (in comparison, mind you-until I heard the Pono, it sounded quite nice to me). So that is my DAP experience, and I'd strongly recommend the Pono (don't let the hippie stuff turn you off). And, haven't used it yet, but it has Balanced Out!!! (others swear by this)

Jan 30, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #1,388 of 1,656
I had started off with iPods/iPod Touch, then a Zip, then went to a Hifisound Anniversary III (worlds worst UI and reliability in my experience), a Samsung YPP (blah), then the Fiio X3, which I liked sonically, hated UI. Next got the iBasso DX90, better UI AND SOUND, replaced the X3. Currently, the Pono replaced the DX90, it sounds better AND has much better UI. Have only used DX90 once since I got the Pono, one day when I wanted music for my dog walk, and the Pono had died (had used it while removing snow and quite a bit more time). Instantly missed my Pono, cleaner, more detailed, DX90 had a kind of scrim or haze the sound (in comparison, mind you-until I heard the Pono, it sounded quite nice to me). So that is my DAP experience, and I'd strongly recommend the Pono (don't let the hippie stuff turn you off). And, haven't used it yet, but it has Balanced Out!!! (others swear by this)

Nice... Can we upload files to Pono's internal drive just by using Windows Explorer, like a usb stick? I don't like using crap like iTunes. This is why I hate Apple.

It seems Pono is sold in the US only now though. I wonder when we can get it in Europe.

Jan 30, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #1,389 of 1,656
You can use the PonoPlayer (which is a modified version of JRiver20), but you don't have to, can just drag/drop files on it. I've done it both ways, sometimes JRiver is good for tagging (and sometimes it's not).

Jan 31, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #1,390 of 1,656
I should say, SM64 sounds amazing with Meridian Explorer2 connected to my laptop. Lately I've used it more than my over-ear Fidelio X2. :) I could say they're in the same ballpark regarding sound signature.

Jan 31, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #1,391 of 1,656
You can use the PonoPlayer (which is a modified version of JRiver20), but you don't have to, can just drag/drop files on it. I've done it both ways, sometimes JRiver is good for tagging (and sometimes it's not).

Dr. J, Do you have any experience using your Pono with a MacBook? Anybody?

Jan 31, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #1,392 of 1,656

Dr. J, Do you have any experience using your Pono with a MacBook? Anybody?

You mean, loading music on it? I understand it's no problem, have an iMac, though I put most of my music on my PC. I can give it a try, let you know how it goes. Don't really see why it wouldn't work, though.

Jan 31, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #1,393 of 1,656
^Thanks, I think the SM64, then the Pono Player are in my future, thanks! Just not comfortable getting a ciem.

Jan 31, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #1,394 of 1,656
I haven't used my SM64 in a while, (catching up with the loads of stuff/gear I got in my out-of-control-holiday-shopping-spree, and particularly learning how to use my ciems, it is indeed a learning process getting a good fit/seal, not sure it is worth the trouble), did love them though, and very comfortable, one of the easier to fit headphones for me (though,this is so individual).. I'll pull them out (just got home a short while ago from work), connect the Pono to the iMac, get back. I think you can't go wrong with them, though...

Jan 31, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #1,395 of 1,656
(if I can find them, of course....):xf_eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back