Earsonics sm3 V2
Jul 5, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #1,126 of 1,167
You guys do realize the SM3 v2 socket pins polarity are in reverse to Westone don't you?

SM3 v2 are in reverse, so anyone out there running Westone upgrade cable is using their SM3 in reverse phase. I have tested this many times with a multimeter. Try it yourselves, check the positive / negative pins against your stock SM3 cable.

If I'm correctly understanding what I've read recently an absolute change in phase is considered (by most) to be unnoticable.

So as long as the + & - are reversed on both sides it would be OK.

Jul 5, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #1,127 of 1,167
If I'm correctly understanding what I've read recently an absolute change in phase is considered (by most) to be unnoticable.

So as long as the + & - are reversed on both sides it would be OK.
"

Hmm, I'm not entirely sure about that, especially when working with balanced armatures which work with an arm connected to a drive pin connected to the centre of a diaphragm using both sides of the magnetic force. It's going a little beyond me being able to give an explanation why this would not be recommended, however I believe it's not a good thing and I wouldn't be doing it. When a dynamic driver is wired reverse polarity the driver fires backwards.

Unless someone can chime in further and give us more detailed explanation I would stick to the rules of correct polarity.

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #1,128 of 1,167
Hi,

Hoping someone can answer this for me. How can you distinguish the SM 3 V2 vs the lower model SM1 because they look identical in the Earsonic Website? Is there any model markings in the IEM itself?

Thank you so much..

Sep 18, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #1,130 of 1,167
Hi,

Hoping someone can answer this for me. How can you distinguish the SM 3 V2 vs the lower model SM1 because they look identical in the Earsonic Website? Is there any model markings in the IEM itself?

Thank you so much..

No markings itself to distinguish between the models, but the SM3 v2 is at least two times as thick as the SM1.

Nov 9, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #1,135 of 1,167
Yes. It'll fit. I believe it's been mentioned before, no cable swap can fix the +/- polarity configuration on the SM3.  There're great IEMs, one of the few of many I've owned that gave me the wow factor.  If you can hear the difference in the reverse polarity, well, very good for you. 

Nov 9, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #1,138 of 1,167
That actually used to be my cable, that Starlight CIEM cable. It's silver-plated copper, flexible, no noticeable micro phonics and very well built. I sold it because I found the SPC altered the sound signature slightly too much for my liking (it thinned out the signature thick SM3 sound) and went with the BTG audio Midnight CIEM cable, which is OFC copper and maintains the sound sig, making the sound a bit more lush and giving the bass some more weight. The polarity is not an issue with either of these cables. The dot on the connectors ( blue for left and red for right ) must be reversed and face inward, just like on the stock cable.
http://btg-audio.webs.com/webstore.htm#!/~/product/category=2609073&id=28132561

Silver-plated copper and silver cables tend to alter the sound sig too much and makes the sound seem unnatural, IMO. I've experimented with a lot of aftermarket cables for my SM3v2 and UM3X and copper is the best fit, especially if you like a full sound. It all comes down to personal preference, the best suggestion is to experiment and see what you like. Hopefully it won't open up another can of worms like it did for me. There were some cables I bought, listened to for awhile and when I went back to the stock cable found I liked that better. Go figure.

Nov 9, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #1,140 of 1,167
It's 200 bucks. It looks nice and all, but I don't see how it would sound $100 better than the BTG cable. In fact, to me the BTG looks like it has better connectors and I didn't see that the Null Audio one offered a right angle termination, which is of prime importance if you want to go portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back