Earsonics sm3 V2
Aug 16, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #706 of 1,167
Quote:
What would one say the sound is worth, <$350 or >$350?

I believe there's no better way to say it than our dear friend ClieOS said once:

Quote:
Not to sound elitist, but at some point the concern of trying to justify the value becomes lesser a point when you are spending a big deal of money. At that point, I think getting a product you want is likely to be more important then getting the best value out of it. After all, value is also a matter of opinion. If you can get the sound you are dreaming of, then it is the best value to you on a personal level. For that, you really need to ask yourself what you want: is it the ultimate sound, or ultimate value? That's something a reviewer can't justify for you.

Aug 16, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #707 of 1,167
Thanks for that comparo i2ehan. I have to strike the RE262 from list then - me likes ^mids :D I'll wait for your SM3|K2 mids comparison. It's also warmER and sweetER than the MDR-7550.

Aug 16, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #708 of 1,167
Indeed my friend. I'm quite eager to give the K2's a listen. As of now, the only ones I have planned are the GR07, the K2, and maybe even the infamous DDM2's (Radius HP-TWF21). However, my reshelled JH16's get here tomorrow, so it looks like there'll be busy days ahead of me.
biggrin.gif

Aug 17, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #710 of 1,167

Quote:
Just thought I'd share, I was fiddling with different tips, and even cables, and coupled with the JH16 stock cable and the Atrio tips (pictured below), the two brought back my love for the SM3's. I had forgotten how powerful the SM3's bass was, even without the Zo. Though as of late, I'm finding it harder and harder to get past the RE262/RE272 signature. Nonetheless, I've decided to dedicate the entire day today to the SM3's, to see if they can, yet again, draw me in as they once did.
smile.gif

Nice I2. I Love Your energy

Aug 17, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #711 of 1,167

Quote:
After nearly half the day with the SM3's in, I decided to end my night with the RE262's, and am sure glad I did. While the SM3's sound  is exceptionally engaging, the RE262 takes mids to another level altogether. I found this to no surprise, since the RE262' mids, to my ears, excel even those of the W4, and all other universals I've heard to date for that matter, excluding the EX1000 which isn't at all too far off. I personally find the midrange to be the most important factor within a signature. That's merely my opinion of course, and heavily varies from genre to genre. On that note, the 262's mids are simply crystal clear, and as of yet, IMHO, nothing I've heard stands in direct comparison. I hope I'm able to sit down and properly A/B the two sometime this week, but for the time being, there wasn't a single vocal track where I preferred the SM3 to the RE262, plain and simple. Again, I speak only on my own behalf.

Where the RE262 is warm & sweet, the SM3 is warmER & sweetER, and may very well be the preferred choice for certain listeners. Either one is most certainly an acquired taste, and carries with it a love/hate relationship IMO. With regards to staging, the RE262 offers better width (approaching an 'out of head' feel, much like my EX1000's, though comparitively to a slightly lesser extent of course) in comparison to the SM3's more intimate/engaging sound. Nevertheless, the SM3's mids feel more in balance with the rest of the spectrum, that is to say, when compared directly to the RE262's brilliantly accentuated mids of course. In other words, I find it much more difficult to draw my attention away from the 262's mids, while not so difficult to appreciate the rest of the spectrum with the SM3's. However, It seems that these ears have now come to prefer the former. The SM3's lows, however, pack considerbaly more impact than the 262's; then again, that's what the ZO is for.
wink.gif
 In the end, my initial prediction was quite right, and it seems that while still amongst my top favorite in-ears, I've grown accustomed to a different sound than that of the SM3. For the time being, my ears are most drawn towards the EX1000, first and foremost, followed by the RE262/RE272. I suppose beyond the sake of comparison, I bid my beloved SM3's adieu, and most probably won't be revisiting them again.

With all that said, I wish to remind everyone that my choice between the SM3 and RE262 is based solely and exclusively on preference, and preference alone. They are both exceptional in their own right, and completely unique from one another. I've no trouble believing that some listeners may label the SM3 levels above the RE262, and vice versa, whether it be in the technical sense or something or another. If there's anything I've disovered in my last 3 months of being active here at Head-Fi, it's that of nearly 2 dozen unniversals I've come to own, they're all completely unique from one another (with the exception of maybe the CK10 and DBA-02, which to my ears certainly share a resemblance, more or less), and for anyone to claim that one is 'better' than the other, it's almost always based upon preference. There are always exceptions of course. Those content with the SM3 should have no doubts in that they own one of the most competent universals out there IMO, and the same goes for the RE262 owners. Let your ears decide for themselves, else you'll never truly know what's best.
smile.gif

WELL written I2. all of this stuff is so much personal preference 

Aug 17, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #712 of 1,167

Quote:
After nearly half the day with the SM3's in, I decided to end my night with the RE262's, and am sure glad I did. While the SM3's sound  is exceptionally engaging, the RE262 takes mids to another level altogether. I found this to no surprise, since the RE262' mids, to my ears, excel even those of the W4, and all other universals I've heard to date for that matter, excluding the EX1000 which isn't at all too far off. I personally find the midrange to be the most important factor within a signature. That's merely my opinion of course, and heavily varies from genre to genre. On that note, the 262's mids are simply crystal clear, and as of yet, IMHO, nothing I've heard stands in direct comparison. I hope I'm able to sit down and properly A/B the two sometime this week, but for the time being, there wasn't a single vocal track where I preferred the SM3 to the RE262, plain and simple. Again, I speak only on my own behalf.

Where the RE262 is warm & sweet, the SM3 is warmER & sweetER, and may very well be the preferred choice for certain listeners. Either one is most certainly an acquired taste, and carries with it a love/hate relationship IMO. With regards to staging, the RE262 offers better width (approaching an 'out of head' feel, much like my EX1000's, though comparitively to a slightly lesser extent of course) in comparison to the SM3's more intimate/engaging sound. Nevertheless, the SM3's mids feel more in balance with the rest of the spectrum, that is to say, when compared directly to the RE262's brilliantly accentuated mids of course. In other words, I find it much more difficult to draw my attention away from the 262's mids, while not so difficult to appreciate the rest of the spectrum with the SM3's. However, It seems that these ears have now come to prefer the former. The SM3's lows, however, pack considerbaly more impact than the 262's; then again, that's what the ZO is for.
wink.gif
 In the end, my initial prediction was quite right, and it seems that while still amongst my top favorite in-ears, I've grown accustomed to a different sound than that of the SM3. For the time being, my ears are most drawn towards the EX1000, first and foremost, followed by the RE262/RE272. I suppose beyond the sake of comparison, I bid my beloved SM3's adieu, and most probably won't be revisiting them again.

With all that said, I wish to remind everyone that my choice between the SM3 and RE262 is based solely and exclusively on preference, and preference alone. They are both exceptional in their own right, and completely unique from one another. I've no trouble believing that some listeners may label the SM3 levels above the RE262, and vice versa, whether it be in the technical sense or something or another. If there's anything I've disovered in my last 3 months of being active here at Head-Fi, it's that of nearly 2 dozen unniversals I've come to own, they're all completely unique from one another (with the exception of maybe the CK10 and DBA-02, which to my ears certainly share a resemblance, more or less), and for anyone to claim that one is 'better' than the other, it's almost always based upon preference. There are always exceptions of course. Those content with the SM3 should have no doubts in that they own one of the most competent universals out there IMO, and the same goes for the RE262 owners. Let your ears decide for themselves, else you'll never truly know what's best.
smile.gif

Hmm forgive me if I sound cynical, i2, but I  must say i'm hardly surprised at your decision given the amount of praise and exuberance you have for the EX1000, and now the RE262. I am a little perplexed tho. The EX is not mid forward as I understand whereas the 262 is as you described. So which sound sig is it that you prefer now. I am trying to establish a reference base for your reviews / comparison so I can better understand where you are coming from.

Also, it'd be much appreciated if you can elaborate more on the bolded text. IMO the Sm3's mid a very clear and detailed as well, tho not nearly as detailed as the JH13's. I realise some find the Sm3's mid-mids and upper mids somewhat veiled and I have to agree with this based on my initial experience with the SM3. Having moved to the newer biflanges from ES for awhile now, IMO the veil has been lifted and clarity ensues. The SM3 is, unfortunately, quite tip-dependent as it turns out. I know you use the Monster triflanges but perhaps this tip just doesnt do it justice? I know I've tried those and still found the larger stock biflanges to be better in terms of clarity, seal, isolation and comfort. Our ear canals differ of course so it may not be the same experience for you. Another thing to take into consideration is the fact that the SM3 is something of a chameleon. It pretty much throws at you what is fed to it via your source. Hence the audio recording itself makes a difference. I noticed as I move from one album to another, mids and highs quantity and clarity changes according to album depending on how it was mastered / recorded / engineered.I also found that with those particularly 'muddy' albums, taking DFKT's advise to EQ the SM3 by using a hi shelf filter of a couple of db's at 2kHz so as not to mess about with specific freqs and alter the Sm3's upper mids / highs balance. Some ppl may find that using this EQ with the Sm3 all the time helps lift the perceived veil as well, of course.

I happened to have auditioned the GR07 and RE262 for a bit at Jaben last week and while they were good, not enough so to draw me away from the Sm3's uniqueness.

Quote:

I believe there's no better way to say it than our dear friend ClieOS said once:

Yeah, thats a much better answer than my crappy one. Sorry guys. Working on a public holiday doesnt bode well for my mind or mood
confused_face.gif

Quote:
Thanks for that comparo i2ehan. I have to strike the RE262 from list then - me likes ^mids :D I'll wait for your SM3|K2 mids comparison. It's also warmER and sweetER than the MDR-7550.

Uhh...i could be wrong but i read i2's comparison as the Re262 being mid forward / focused as well. Why would you strike the 262s off your list then?

Quote:
^Nice! I also have an incoming mid^ iems \m/ Exciting times!

Hmm...let me guess....EM3 Pros? Hehe

Aug 17, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #713 of 1,167
sended my sm3 v1 to fix unblance issue that been having for a while (warranty almost expired), frank offered me an upgrade to v2 for a lower price so i took it
redface.gif

i don't expect a diffrent sound signeture but i hope there be an improvement in the comfort zone

i realy need to find better source than the cowon s9

Aug 17, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #714 of 1,167
@heret1c, I was also surprised on his review on first read then after reading it again I thought he realized that he now prefers the amount of mids he's hearing from the RE262. So if I'm not mistaken, RE262 sits: EX1000<=RE262<<SM3.

Aug 17, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #715 of 1,167
sended my sm3 v1 to fix unblance issue that been having for a while (warranty almost expired), frank offered me an upgrade to v2 for a lower price so i took it
redface.gif

i don't expect a diffrent sound signeture but i hope there be an improvement in the comfort zone

After listening to mine for a few weeks I'm pleased with the comfort level, using Shure olive tips and I can barely feel them.

Like someone above said, these REALLY expose flaws in recordings, I'm mainly listening to Flac recordings and the amount of tracks I go through where an artificial hiss/crackle has been added really annoys me, especially when you're listening to other tracks and they're crystal clear then you get to another track you like and it's really jarring to hear this effect has been added.

Aug 17, 2011 at 4:07 AM Post #716 of 1,167
My apologies fellas, if what I said may have sounded as though it contradicts what my preference falls upon. When I say the I prefer the RE262's forward mids, it's always in reference to another in-ear (to the SM3 in this case). It's not as simple as simply bringing the mids forward. Instead, the RE262 renders midrange detail and clarity better than any other in-ear I've heard to date, while in that very regard, the EX1000 is a very close second to my ears. No, the EX1000 is nowhere near as mid-centric as the RE262 is, but my preference falls upon the EX1000 with reference to the entire signature (as compared to any other in-ear), while it's really the mids that draw me in with reference to the RE262 (as compared to the SM3), and I've little left to critique the RE262's highs and lows for since I feel they're presence is just right to my ears. Neither the EX, nor the RE is perfect however, because if not now, I'm confident that they'll meet their match for even my ears; albeit there may a universal out there already, which I've yet to hear that excels both, and if and when I do find a sound more suitable, you have my word, I'll be the first to admit it.

I'm not at all a reviewee by any means my friend, and I'm not saying that to humble myself before anyone. Up until now, anything I've posted has always reflected my impressions, of which I don't expect for anyone to use as a means of reference, since there are many experienced and well articulated reviews here on head-fi which are aimed to be just that. If ever I've said anything to the contrary, then I apologize in advance, as I certainly didn't intend for it that way.

Trust me when I say, I've tried all the bells and whistles with the SM3, ever since my initial purchase 3 months ago when conducting my comparison thread. That includes both the original and the V2. The Atrio tips I posted above work best for my ears, and reproduce the sound with the least amount of veil, when compared to all other tips I've tried. Flanges in general work best for my ears, after which my trusty Comply T-400's are always there as a backup. :)

Aug 17, 2011 at 5:20 AM Post #717 of 1,167

Quote:
redface.gif

I think the Cowons are generally very good sources and have good built-in headphone amp circuitry. Plus the SM3 isnt very hard to drive so I would think the S9 is just fine.

Aug 17, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #718 of 1,167
I have trouble exceeding past a volume level of 10 (out of a possible 60) with the SM3 running off of my FiiO; it most certainly isn't difficult to drive IMO. If anything, it's a power-house if you ask me.

Aug 17, 2011 at 5:41 AM Post #719 of 1,167

Quote:
@heret1c, I was also surprised on his review on first read then after reading it again I thought he realized that he now prefers the amount of mids he's hearing from the RE262. So if I'm not mistaken, RE262 sits: EX1000<=RE262<<SM3.

Is that in reference to the amount of mids or his preference?

Quote:
My apologies fellas, if what I said may have sounded as though it contradicts what my preference falls upon. When I say the I prefer the RE262's forward mids, it's always in reference to another in-ear (to the SM3 in this case). It's not as simple as simply bringing the mids forward. Instead, the RE262 renders midrange detail and clarity better than any other in-ear I've heard to date, while in that very regard, the EX1000 is a very close second to my ears. No, the EX1000 is nowhere near as mid-centric as the RE262 is, but my preference falls upon the EX1000 with reference to the entire signature (as compared to any other in-ear), while it's really the mids that draw me in with reference to the RE262 (as compared to the SM3), and I've little left to critique the RE262's highs and lows for since I feel they're presence is just right to my ears. Neither the EX, nor the RE is perfect however, because if not now, I'm confident that they'll meet their match for even my ears; albeit there may a universal out there already, which I've yet to hear that excels both, and if and when I do find a sound more suitable, you have my word, I'll be the first to admit it.

I'm not at all a reviewee by any means my friend, and I'm not saying that to humble myself before anyone. Up until now, anything I've posted has always reflected my impressions, of which I don't expect for anyone to use as a means of reference, since there are many experienced and well articulated reviews here on head-fi which are aimed to be just that. If ever I've said anything to the contrary, then I apologize in advance, as I certainly didn't intend for it that way.

Trust me when I say, I've tried all the bells and whistles with the SM3, ever since my initial purchase 3 months ago when conducting my comparison thread. That includes both the original and the V2. The Atrio tips I posted above work best for my ears, and reproduce the sound with the least amount of veil, when compared to all other tips I've tried. Flanges in general work best for my ears, after which my trusty Comply T-400's are always there as a backup.
smily_headphones1.gif

No need to apologize, i2. Miscommunication and misunderstandings are bound to happen in a forum of this sort. Heck, they can even happen in verbal discourse.

I have not heard the EX1000 myself so I shall not say anything for / against it. However, having heard the RE262 myself and comparing it with the Sm3, I would have to respectfully say I do not see things the same way you do, as is to be expected. Different ears, tastes, and all. To me, the SM3 has just as much (and possibly a smidge more) detail and clarity than the 262s, with the right tip. But as the SM3 is a warmer, sweeter IEM and has a tendency to have a certain thickness to its note, I can possibly understand how it may seem to be lacking in detail / clarity.

Due to preferences, for me the Sm3 is still tops (until i hear the EX1000 for myself) especially with its unique presentation and 'on-stage' soundstage which REEAAALLLY makes all my favourite music sound just so much more better and engaging. Others may not like this but given that I used to play in a band and still enjoy going to live gigs, that 'on-stage' feel is definitely something I crave for in my music.

Aug 17, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #720 of 1,167

Quote:
I have trouble exceeding past a volume level of 10 (out of a possible 60) with the SM3 running off of my FiiO; it most certainly isn't difficult to drive IMO. If anything, it's a power-house if you ask me.

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back