Earsonics sm3 V2
Aug 10, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #678 of 1,167
There are a few services available that specialize in reshelling custom in ear monitors, including (but certainly not limited to) Kozee, Unique Melody, Fisher Hearing, 1964Ears, and quite a few others. All they require is the earphones you wish to reshell (be it already made customs or even universals that you wish to remodel into customs), and most importantly, your ear impressions, preferably taken by any local audiologist. From there on in, it's simply a waiting game; some longer than others. There's a ton of information here at head-fi, which a simple "custom reshell" search should turn up.
smile.gif

Aug 10, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #679 of 1,167

Quote:
There are a few services available that specialize in reshelling custom in ear monitors, including (but certainly not limited to) Kozee, Unique Melody, Fisher Hearing, 1964Ears, and quite a few others. All they require is the earphones you wish to reshell (be it already made customs or even universals that you wish to remodel into customs), and most importantly, your ear impressions, preferably taken by any local audiologist. From there on in, it's simply a waiting game; some longer than others. There's a ton of information here at head-fi, which a simple "custom reshell" search should turn up.
smile.gif

Oh I know, but no matter how you cut it, getting customs is a gigantic PITA here. That is one the main reasons (the other being finances, of course!) I have not jumped on that bandwagon yet.

Aug 11, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #681 of 1,167

Quote:
^Noted with thanks :D
Looking at JH's lineup though - I was intrigued which one has the most forward mids and I kept on wondering if the JH 10x3 or 7 suits SM3 lovers.

I owned the SM3's for a year, and for me the JH16's are better than the SM3 in every way. The mids are not as in your face as the SM3, but is presented in a very neutral manner. It's great because all of the frequencies balance each other nicely. I do not know how the JH10x3 sounds nor how the JH7 sounds, but the JH house sound did stay the same for me between the JH16 and JH13. I do not think the JH house sound is similar to the EarSonics sound apart from the wide soundstage shared by both house sounds.

For me, the SM3's sounded excellent and near perfect when I owned them. After I received my JH16's and did several A/B's with the JH16 and SM3, I could realize where the SM3 did not live up. The highs and lows on the SM3 simply cannot compete with the JH16. The mids, however, are so different from the presentation of the mids on the JH16 that it makes the SM3 'unique' next to the JH16, not technically better. The mids also sounded much better to me on the JH16's.

Just some of my impressions in response to your question. Hope I helped.

Aug 11, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #683 of 1,167

Quote:
I owned the SM3's for a year, and for me the JH16's are better than the SM3 in every way. The mids are not as in your face as the SM3, but is presented in a very neutral manner. It's great because all of the frequencies balance each other nicely. I do not know how the JH10x3 sounds nor how the JH7 sounds, but the JH house sound did stay the same for me between the JH16 and JH13. I do not think the JH house sound is similar to the EarSonics sound apart from the wide soundstage shared by both house sounds.

For me, the SM3's sounded excellent and near perfect when I owned them. After I received my JH16's and did several A/B's with the JH16 and SM3, I could realize where the SM3 did not live up. The highs and lows on the SM3 simply cannot compete with the JH16. The mids, however, are so different from the presentation of the mids on the JH16 that it makes the SM3 'unique' next to the JH16, not technically better. The mids also sounded much better to me on the JH16's.

Thanks! This is very helpful. :D

Aug 11, 2011 at 4:57 AM Post #684 of 1,167
Just to add with @SolidVictory's impression which is right on the spot, the SM3's presentation is very unique in a way that it encloses you in a spherical shaped headstage and keeps you slightly in the center. Unlike the JH16 Pro's Left-and-Right to Front but wider Presentation and the vocal is slightly on the back. IME, I haven't heard this unique presentation to other iems. I am not sure if Earsonics Custom EM3Pro also have this.

Been a while hearing SM3s but once I hear them it will be like taming a different animal. They are not as detailed or transparent as the JH16 Pro (and that tight godly bass), but they can absolutely satisfy your cravings for your ears.

Aug 11, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #685 of 1,167
Edited the review:

edit: I've checked the sockets and they're pretty standard IEM cable ones. To top it off, the sockets on SM3 are not recessed. They're flush (there is a groove, but it's <1mm deep), so as long as you get the size/spacing right it'll fit. You probably also want to go easy and try not to put too much pressure on the cable since they're not recessed sockets.
As for replacements - for example my SM3x6 UM reshell cable fits.
The cable also solves the problem with the memory wire section being too short and annoying to be useful. Granted that's another $50 on top of pretty expensive IEMs, but a lot of people love the sound, so who am I to tell them otherwise :D when I used to as well.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/earsonics-sm3-v2-universal-in-ear-monitors/reviews/5358

:)

Aug 11, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #686 of 1,167

Quote:

Excellent explanation!!

Aug 11, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #687 of 1,167

Quote:
Just to add with @SolidVictory's impression which is right on the spot, the SM3's presentation is very unique in a way that it encloses you in a spherical shaped headstage and keeps you slightly in the center. Unlike the JH16 Pro's Left-and-Right to Front but wider Presentation and the vocal is slightly on the back. IME, I haven't heard this unique presentation to other iems. I am not sure if Earsonics Custom EM3Pro also have this.

Been a while hearing SM3s but once I hear them it will be like taming a different animal. They are not as detailed or transparent as the JH16 Pro (and that tight godly bass), but they can absolutely satisfy your cravings for your ears.

Thanks for that input, kingice. Also much appreciated. I wouldnt expect the Sm3 to be as detailed as the JH16 but I have to concur that they always satisify my aural cravings. And it is that spherical headstage and unique presentation which is what endears it so much to me. Of course, there are just some genres which do not suit it. Rock seems to fit it quite well IMO as it gives me that 'onstage' feeling. But listening to soundtracks or classical, it simply will not do to have such a presentation. At least not for me.

OT here, but is it safe to say the JH13 and JH16 are identical with the 16s just having more / better bass?

Aug 11, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #688 of 1,167
"OT here, but is it safe to say the JH13 and JH16 are identical with the 16s just having more / better bass?" - Sorry I haven't heard the custom version of the 13s so I just remembered that in their demos they are more or less similar in presentation only that the tonality of JH16 demos are more on bass. Maybe this won't help you much but you can ask some who has both the customs (who has more cash to spend on both of them :wink: ).

Just a quick impression, coming from SM3s for about 4 months, when I got my first JH customs, l had a weird feeling on the soundstage because of the forward projection and the presentation of the smoothen treble, specifically on cymbals. But it grew into me as it was technically better, in terms of transparency or PRaT,  than my universal iems but not by a wide margin.

Aug 11, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #689 of 1,167

Quote:
 Sorry I haven't heard the custom version of the 13s so I just remembered that in their demos they are more or less similar in presentation only that the tonality of JH16 demos are more on bass. Maybe this won't help you much but you can ask some who has both the customs (who has more cash to spend on both of them :wink: ).

Just a quick impression, coming from SM3s for about 4 months, when I got my first JH customs, l had a weird feeling on the soundstage because of the forward projection and the presentation of the smoothen treble, specifically on cymbals. But it grew into me as it was technically better, in terms of transparency or PRaT,  than my universal iems but not by a wide margin.

Thanks for that, Kingice,

Sorry, but are you referring to the JH16 or SM3 in the bolded text?

Aug 11, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #690 of 1,167

Quote:
Thanks for that input, kingice. Also much appreciated. I wouldnt expect the Sm3 to be as detailed as the JH16 but I have to concur that they always satisify my aural cravings. And it is that spherical headstage and unique presentation which is what endears it so much to me. Of course, there are just some genres which do not suit it. Rock seems to fit it quite well IMO as it gives me that 'onstage' feeling. But listening to soundtracks or classical, it simply will not do to have such a presentation. At least not for me.

OT here, but is it safe to say the JH13 and JH16 are identical with the 16s just having more / better bass?

I've heard both the JH16 and JH13 universals for an extended period of time at my audiologist's office (and I own JH16 customs). In my opinion, they are two different beasts. I was surprised to see that they are quite different from one another--and it is not just the bass on the JH16 that makes them different. I noticed that the JH13 had a dryer midrange and highs than the JH16. The JH16 seemed more 'sparkly'  next to the JH13, whereas the JH13 sounded near neutral (not in a bad way). I actually preferred the mids of the JH13 to the JH16 as it sounded slightly more resolving and detailed to me. The only reason I think I experienced the JH13 as sounding better on the mids than the JH16 is because the bass on the JH16 really makes you focus more on the lower end (in a good way).

The JH16 just doesn't have 'better' bass than the JH13, it is more sophisticated than that. I actually think quality-wise, the JH13 and JH16 bass are very similar--presentation and quantity-wise, they are two different beasts. The JH16 sounds like a tower speaker--it has a grunt to it, it has a sound that screams 'power' and size. The JH13 in comparison has the same power, but it does not flex its muscles as often as the JH16 does; the JH13 shows its power in its ability to cover all frequencies with an extraordinary balance and resolution. The JH13 fits the famous quote: 'The pen is mightier than the sword.", whereas the JH16 begs to differ, more suiting the quote: "The sword is mightier than the pen." The JH13 is like a cold and calculated killer (like an assassin!), and the JH16 is a flashy and revenge-motivated killer (like a pissed off dude!), if that analogy makes any sense 
o2smile.gif

In summary, I do not think the JH13 and JH16 are as similar as people point out. Yes, their sound signature is relatively the same and they share the same JH house sound. However, in terms of personality they actually sound really different from each other, in a good way (to me).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back