Earsonics sm3 V2
Jun 14, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #466 of 1,167
I find it interesting that these IEMS stay so popular.

Jun 14, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #467 of 1,167
Quote:
I used to have the SE530 for three years which I enjoyed a lot.  The midrange is absolutely great and it is better than the SM3, but not by much.  In fact their sound signatures are similar.  The SM3 has much better bass.  The treble on the SM3 like the SE530 is a bit recessed, but the SM3 has more extension.  So with my rockboxed fuze, I EQ the high end and it works great.  However, the treble of both of them do not compare with my full size cans.  But it is the portability issue.  Other things about the SM3, it has better separation and more detailed.  I used have bunch of old MP3 ripped at 128kpbs which sounded fine with the SE530.  After I got the SM3 I had to re-ripped them to 256kpbs because this IEM is more revealing.  Now, I don't have an extensive experience with other IEM's but this is just my experience.

Congrats, you may not have much experience, but your comparison is spot-on.
smile_phones.gif

Jun 14, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #469 of 1,167
The new double flanges are pretty darn good.  I'm willing to bet that's why they aren't as warm as you remember.  When I put some Westone gray tips on them with the small sound hole, it really over warms them to me.

Jun 14, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #471 of 1,167

Quote:
Just got mine in today. Not as warm as I remember the V1 being. I guess that's because the new double flanges have a wider hole?

Quote:
The new double flanges are pretty darn good.  I'm willing to bet that's why they aren't as warm as you remember.  When I put some Westone gray tips on them with the small sound hole, it really over warms them to me.

Quote:
Yeah they're a little better match with the SM3's sound signature. I'm not sure I'm a fan of these ear guides

Thats exactly what I was hoping to hear. I've got some of the new bi-flanges on order from ES and now i REALLY cant wait to try them out.

Jun 15, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #473 of 1,167
WOW, so much talk about TOOL that I had to jump in! I own the SM3 v2 for nearly a week now and I have listened to them quite a bit, but not as much as I'd hope. But I did notice a significant improvement of the sound signature along with the burning process. I am actually a strong believer in this phenomenon. All started with my UE super fi 3 studio, my first pair of good quality IEM (at that time) and while I hated the sound at first, I became quite happy with them over time but was lacking bass desperately. Then I bought the Westone UM2, a huge improvement in sound and probably the IEM  which got me hooked up to sound quality, no matter the cost (well, within a stretchable budget). Burning time improvements were not as obvious on this IEM though but they sounded great out the box. Then I bought the UM3X when they came out and I thought that would be the end of my IEM journey, until they broke 3 weeks ago. The cable was making weird noises and it was horrible when I was walking with the UM3X, the sound was constantly changing. I sent them for repair and used my UE Super fi 3 while waiting for the repair. This was the most painful experience ever. They are horribly uncomfortable, the sound is terrible and they had still no bass. That made me buy the SM3 v2, I needed something equivalent to the UM3X, with a replaceable cable (I could have bought the UM3X RC I know, but I wanted to try something new).
So far my experience with the SM3 v2 is pretty good, the bass are tighter and I like the airy sound with the stage-like sound. I am currently testing the tips and I like the sound of teh ES bi-flange but they are slightly uncomfortable on the long run for me so I think I prefer the Shure olives (medium) overall. I haven't tried any Comply yet, but to be honest, they are too expansive and too fragile to be considered a viable solution.
I'll try to use my D2 Boa in the near future to see of they behave with amplification and will post some impression. I will also try to find my Tool CDs and make some FLACS so I can enjoy Tool on my J3.
Keep up the good posts guys!

Jun 15, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #474 of 1,167

Quote:
WOW, so much talk about TOOL that I had to jump in! I own the SM3 v2 for nearly a week now and I have listened to them quite a bit, but not as much as I'd hope. But I did notice a significant improvement of the sound signature along with the burning process. I am actually a strong believer in this phenomenon. All started with my UE super fi 3 studio, my first pair of good quality IEM (at that time) and while I hated the sound at first, I became quite happy with them over time but was lacking bass desperately. Then I bought the Westone UM2, a huge improvement in sound and probably the IEM  which got me hooked up to sound quality, no matter the cost (well, within a stretchable budget). Burning time improvements were not as obvious on this IEM though but they sounded great out the box. Then I bought the UM3X when they came out and I thought that would be the end of my IEM journey, until they broke 3 weeks ago. The cable was making weird noises and it was horrible when I was walking with the UM3X, the sound was constantly changing. I sent them for repair and used my UE Super fi 3 while waiting for the repair. This was the most painful experience ever. They are horribly uncomfortable, the sound is terrible and they had still no bass. That made me buy the SM3 v2, I needed something equivalent to the UM3X, with a replaceable cable (I could have bought the UM3X RC I know, but I wanted to try something new).
So far my experience with the SM3 v2 is pretty good, the bass are tighter and I like the airy sound with the stage-like sound. I am currently testing the tips and I like the sound of teh ES bi-flange but they are slightly uncomfortable on the long run for me so I think I prefer the Shure olives (medium) overall. I haven't tried any Comply yet, but to be honest, they are too expansive and too fragile to be considered a viable solution.
I'll try to use my D2 Boa in the near future to see of they behave with amplification and will post some impression. I will also try to find my Tool CDs and make some FLACS so I can enjoy Tool on my J3.
Keep up the good posts guys!

Always a good thing when someone decides to dig up their Tool cds to listen to them again, in my books. Even better when its with the Sm3. hehe.

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #476 of 1,167

[size=medium]

Quote:
Is there anything that might bother you about it at the moment?  
Mine is the cord.  Below the y-splitter the cord wires seem to have gotten loosened up.  I keep having to twist the cord and hold it there for about 30 seconds to get the cord to bend back into place.  Other than that its good to go!

I can't really think of anything for now... size might be a potential problem for people with smaller ears. I haven't seen the v1 in person, but from pics I've seen it looks smaller than the v2. 

The cable actually seems really nice, i don't think there will be any issues similar to what you are experiencing.

I am able to equally enjoy Dexter Gordon, John Digweed, 2Pac, beastie boys, daft punk, Ludwig van, and Johnny Cash.. 
they are taking my music listening experience to whole new level

Here is a pic of the y-splitter if that helps you:

next to my RE0 

btw you guys made me get Lateralus by Tool.. will give a listen tomorrow. 

[/size]

Jun 16, 2011 at 5:49 AM Post #477 of 1,167

Quote:

[size=medium]

I can't really think of anything for now... size might be a potential problem for people with smaller ears. I haven't seen the v1 in person, but from pics I've seen it looks smaller than the v2. 

The cable actually seems really nice, i don't think there will be any issues similar to what you are experiencing.

I am able to equally enjoy Dexter Gordon, John Digweed, 2Pac, beastie boys, daft punk, Ludwig van, and Johnny Cash.. 
they are taking my music listening experience to whole new level

Here is a pic of the y-splitter if that helps you:

next to my RE0 

btw you guys made me get Lateralus by Tool.. will give a listen tomorrow. 

[/size]

LOL Tool will grow on you my friend!! Enjoy Fully

Jun 16, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #478 of 1,167
^love Tool so far :) Now I can see why people say that they feel like they are on stage with the SM3..

I tried the biflanges, and while they are by far the best biflanges i've tried, they are still not better than the Shure Olive. I get more bass from the foam and the highs are still good.. so Shure olive would be the one I would use the most it seems. When I was looking around for new headphones, a 2 mm nozzle was one of the main things I wanted, just because I would be able to use shure foam without having to modify anything...and it also, at least for me, gives better isolation

Jun 16, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #479 of 1,167
Enjoy it, my friend. Lateralus is their best record, artistically and production wise IMO.

Totally agree with you bout the ES biflanges being the best so far, at least to me. Yeah the may not look or feel all that refined like some others but by far these are the only biflanges that agree with me and give me no issues with fit/seal/comfort/isolation.

Jun 16, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #480 of 1,167

Quote:
Enjoy it, my friend. Lateralus is their best record, artistically and production wise IMO.

Totally agree with you bout the ES biflanges being the best so far, at least to me. Yeah the may not look or feel all that refined like some others but by far these are the only biflanges that agree with me and give me no issues with fit/seal/comfort/isolation.

Agree somewhat. 
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back