Earsonics sm3 V2
Jun 12, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #451 of 1,167
M6 tips are softer but the ES tips are more user friendly. M6 tips will penetrate more than the new ES double flanges and you have to twist to get the right angle. I went though that bit of work because I preferred the sounds of the M6 tips. Triple flanges can be hard to get used to, but I think it gets better time. 

Jun 12, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #452 of 1,167

Quote:
I must agree with you (the Loudness wars) Laterlus is well done. That was going to be my next question, Maynards voice must be great on the Sm3's. Many Many hear rave about the voice quality with these. I was especially glad to see your post as some opinions were stated that the Sm3's were not spectacular with Rock which I didn't understand. Looking forward to giving the Sm3 a shot

Yeah, I didnt get that either. Maybe some just feel the TF10 V-shape sig is better for rock? More highs and lows and not so much mids? I dunno. But for me, I prefer the SM3s sig for rock and metal. Its got just enough quantity and quality in the lows and highs and the beautiful mids make vocals and the guitars real pop. To me, the SM3s are great for the genre ( I wont say perfect as there may be IEMS even more better suited).

Maynard's vocals never sounded better to me than on the SM3s. The TF10s always let me down in this respect and the CK10, while really good, still felt like a lil' something was missing. No turning back with the SM3, tho. Not for me.

Oh and i can answer your question about LD50 now. Yes, the cymbals can clearly be heard (at least to my ears) but not to CK10 or TF10 levels. Cant really tell whether its better than the 535s at that, but I didnt have to strain to hear it. Ano now you got me listening to LD50 again after oh so long. LOL

Jun 12, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #453 of 1,167

Quote:
Yes, my main music preference is what I call sleaze rock.  The W4's sound excellent with any rock music I put on them.  I must tell you though I'm using custom UM56 sleeves with the W4 and I highly recommend the investment in them.  The custom sleeves improve clarity, since they have a larger sound hole and have a little more bass response with improved isolation.  Guitars and cymbals sound crisper to me.  Also I like using the digiZoid ZO with my set up.  Due to the dual bass drivers, I think the W4 responds to the added bass better, providing more texture and dynamics.  The W4 and the ZO are great fun together.

The SM3's respond well to EQ but don't necessarily improve that much with amping, at least with the short experience I have with them.  They just sound really good from the HO by themselves.  Actually they mate really well with my latest gen Apple Shuffle, making for a nice tiny setup.  Right now I'm comparing their new bi-flange tips with Shure olives.  Unbelievably the olives may offer as good treble response due to the large sound opening (normally foams kill treble for me) but I need more time to know for sure.  I think the bi-flange might offer tighter bass response than the olives.  I really hate small sound hole tips on any of my phones and I'm not sure why they even make them!  Anyway the new bi-flange are great all round tips for the SM3's.

Custom sleeves eh? Now thats something worth considering. A bit of a pain in the arse to find a decent audiologist round these here parts tho. Probably why i'm still not all that motivated get custom IEMS.

Quote:
Also, I do Like the Olives alot, (Large) but... I must say for clarity and exposing the Highs, The Westone Flex sleeves (the light grey ones) albeit a smaller exit OD are phenomenal for highs, and clarity. I might suggest for sm3 owners to try them, bet it would work great exposing the highs. Shure Flex Sleeves are very similar, a little denser in substance

Hmm, i tried all the westone tips and just couldnt agree with them sonically when auditioning ther W4 and UM3X. Still felt the ES bi-flanges(small bored) were the best for me at that time and was what i used when auditioning all 3. Olives are nice, much better than Complys for sure. But still dont like the boominess i get from them. Its kind of a put-off for me.

Quote:
For some reason, I've grown really fond of the black Monster triple flanges. They're a shrunken down version of the white Westone triple flanges (though the images don't do that justice). To my ears, the Monster flanges seem to present the signature in it's most raw and natural form, not just pertaining to the SM3, but with any IEM I've tried them with. And the bass impact sounded at its fullest with any IEM I heard (W4, SE535, Miles Davis, SM3, etc.), so they're now my preferred choice. Speaking of which, I've always used my large Comply's beforehand, and they seemed to have puffed up overtime; no longer as elastic as they once were. As a matter of fact, they no longer insert as deep as they once did, and even when removed, they seem to have taken on a different configuration. Any other Comply owners experience this over time?

Really? The ones i tried really sounded boomy and the highs, while louder, sounded less..resolved? It was less detailed than the highs i got from the stock bi-flanges. Guess i'll need to wait for the MTPC i just bought from you to get here to try again cuz the tri-flanges I have were knock-offs. :D. Am also waiting for the new wider-bored ES bi-flanges as well. Will have to see how they sound too. Frankly, i think I may not like tri-flanges. A bit too much tip-eardrum intimacy for me, methinks.But if the payoff in SQ is worth it, i don't mind. So far, it wasn't.

Jun 13, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #454 of 1,167

Quote:
^^^^ Thank you for all the information.. i will keep it in mind of I decide to get the ie8 later.

@Hawaiiancerveza  the IE8 was falling out ? Well that would irritate me quite a bit.. thanks for sharing

So.. I've been listening to the SM3v2 for almost 3 hours straight now... and I can't stop. They are amazing.. I was really worried about the bass a bit, but it is there, and it is very., very well balanced, deep, and there is plenty of it.. exactly what I wanted :) I will right more tomorrow.. 

Someone wanted to see a picture of how they look in ear: 

Ya.  They fell out quite a bit.  I used the ear pieces that came with it from the large foam tips which sealed the best to me at the time and than the med silicone tips that gave it the best sound.  I would turn up the bass nob so I wouldn't hear the mid bass hump.  Of course the bass would be a lot louder but thats the only way I could really listen to them.  I tried to get shure olive tips and decored them to just slap on the tips.  It was the best seal but still... using it while jogging and lifting weights the ear phones would fall out(with every tip used) and than I'd have to play around with the phones until I got both sides to sound the same again.  By that time I waisted to much time where I could have been lifting or jogging and lost the motivation to do either.  I needed something that stayed IN and the SM3 does that.  I use the 1st version but I wouldn't mind going for the 2nd.  If anything I'll use the 1st version while lifting and jogging and the 2nd to just listen to.  

I hope that helps.  But Im not sure how many hifis use the phone while they jog or lift or any other exercises.  
BTW... those look great in your ears.  I wish I had them...lol
Glad you enjoy them.  I'm only speaking for myself on these terms but, everyone won't go using the phone the same way another does.  Im just sharing from my own experience.  

Jun 13, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #455 of 1,167

Quote:
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster here!
etysmile.gif

Just wanted to put up my 2 cents on the SM3s, if that's ok. I suppose i should preface this saying that this is all based on my own ears and there practically no scientific data to back it up. i'm still new to headphilia so i will stay away from terms I've no proper understanding of.

To me the SM3s represent the sound signature I didn't realize I've been longing for all this while. I always felt something was missing with my other IEMs before the SM3 but could never quite put my finger on. And to me its the perfect IEM for the music I listen to. Tool, Opeth, Mudvayne, King Crimson, Dredg, Pink Floyd all never sounded better to me than on the SM3s. I've auditioned the SE535s, W3s, W4s and UM3Xs extensively at Jaben before i finally settled on the SM3. All the units had at least 50hrs on them so burn-in (crossover, cables) should have settled in, if you believe in that sort of thing. Also, i used only silicon tips and not Complys. I don't know why but i just DO NOT like Complys. Feels like they steal something from an IEM's signature.

Easily eliminated were the 535s and W3s. The Shures for some reason never sounded good to me and despite having forced myself to give all the above IEMs equal auditioning time, I still couldnt get 'into' the Shure sound. This even applies with their SRH840 cans. Go figure. The W3s while nice reminded me too much of my TF10s and while its fun, it just wasnt what I was looking for. The 3 which were battling for my hard earned cash were the UM3Xs, W4s and SM3s. Out of the plethora of tips Westone provides, i still preferred the stock double flanges that come with the SM3s. Am I weird? Anyways, i used this same tip for all 3 when auditioning.

To me, the SM3s were warm, yes but also detailed and balanced. The bass was tight and controlled and went deep enough for me. The mids were lush and 'creamy' as some have said but detailed at the same time. I never found it lacking.It does seem forward, but coming from recessed mids of the TF10, I couldnt tell if it really was forward vs the rest of the spectrum or just in comparison to what I'd been used to. And while the treble extends pretty high, it did sound a little 'veiled' in comparison to the UM3X and W4. But it was not lacking for details. I do admit I just needed to listen a wee bit harder for details than I did with the UM3X.

Soundstage-wise, the SM3 was excellent. Good depth and width, altho like someone said earlier, not as wide as the W4. I think I saw somewhere on head-fi someone had posted a illustration of where the SM3's soundstage places you in relation to the music / band. Cant remember if it was an SM3 thread or something else. Anyways, that illustration showed where other IEMs (IE8 was one of them) place you away from the band / music, in the audience, whereas the SM3 pretty much puts you on stage with them. i guess that sorta explains the smaller width and the forward mids? Doesn't matter, cuz thats how I like it apparently. I found i preferred this presentation as opposed to be being in various rows of the audience.

I'm not too sure what speed or dynamic range is but I found it handled the music i threw at it (especially some FLACs of a live TOOL show, taken straight of the soundboard) just as well if not better than the UM3X and W4. Again, i think its soundstage and presentation had a part to play in me liking it more. That's not to say the UM3X and W4 weren't great themselves. I could only afford to get one of them and the SM3 was the one which won me over ultimately. The UM3X, I 've had a little more time with as my colleague has one and I've auditioned it quite a number of times before doing so again at Jaben. In fact, i was pretty sure i'd be coming out with it but the Sm3 bowled me over, really. The UM3X's highs don't extend as high as the SM3 but they didn't seem veiled either. Maybe the Sm3's highs seemed that way cuz its balanced across the spectrum? I dunno. I'm spitballing here. As for the W4, they were really nice and while they're a totally different beast from the W3, they weren't too alien compared to the UM3X and SM3. In fact, IMO the W4 sounded like a refined, improved version of the UM3X. The W4 might be next on my list of acquisitions..not so much the UM3X. But by the time I can save up for the the W4, there might be something else new in the IEM world...X-jays, perhaps? Oh what have i gotten myself into?? LOL.

I'm just trying out modded Monster tri-flanges (w/olives or comply p-series cores) with the SM3 and already the veil seems to have lifted off the highs somewhat. Will need more time with it to determine if I prefer this over the stock double flanges. Oh, and how does the new stock double flanges (with the wider bore) sound? Can anyone advise? I would have tried Sensorcom bi-flanges but they dont ship here and I cant be arsed to jump thru hoops to get it somehow.

BTW, I have the SM3 v1s and I like its look better than the v2s. Just like how I think the UM3x looks better than the w4. Something bout its uilitarian, stripped down looks really gets me.
biggrin.gif
I know the v1's build quality isn't the best but it aint all that bad either (my CK10's are by far the best in that respect). And I baby my IEMs anyhow so I dont foresee any problems.

Wow, that was a really long first post / 2 cents. Sorry...hope i didnt bore anyone!

First off, Heret1c that was an interesting post.

I'm probably the most critical person there is (at least in HF) when it comes to the SM3.

Turns out King Crimson is my favourite band (have all their albums and far too many live recordings). I also happen to have all Tool albums (Lateralus being my favourite). Don't know how well you actually know KC, but I can see you're more of a Tool fan - a great band indeed. I also like and have most albums by Pink Floyd (though I hardly ever listen to them) but, to me, KC is a completely different beast. BTW, I don't really enjoy ELP, Yes and quite a few other so-called Prog/Art-Rock bands, including Dream Theater.

Here's an anecdote: I went to see Tool live in London (UK) during their Lateralus tour and the sound at the venue (Brixton Academy) was so, so, SOOOO loud and poor that I just walked out after 15 mins! My ears kept ringing quite badly for well over two hours - never had I had such an assault on my ears. A shame, really, as I was really looking forward to seeing Tool live (and being around the young 'Toolers' in the audience). Great band, great audience, terrible sound.

Now, here's the thing: I found the SM3 simply appalling with most KC music I threw at it, specially Larks' Tongues in Aspic (my favourite), Red, Discipline, Starless & Bible Black, Lizard, The ConstruKction of Light (an absolute mess with the SM3s) & In the Court of the Crimson King. The only album that was barely listenable with the SM3s was their last album, The Power to Believe, and only just.

Although with Tool things were not such a big disaster, Lateralus still sounded pretty awful - and I do love the whole album. With the UM3X, W4 and even more with the EX1000, Lateralus and all other Tool albums sound(ed) significantly better.

My disappointment with the SM3s was such that at one point I thought I might have got a faulty set. This was at the height of the SM3 hype, where every single owner raved about them. Seems I didn't get a faulty pair as more and more reports - though not as critical - started to gradually pour in. Either I wasn't going mad, and the 'SM3 hype bubble' was beginning to burst, or Earsonics had such bad QC that quite a few faulty sets were being sold. I don't believe the latter is the case as, like I said recently, there were far too many posts suggesting countless hours of burn-in, trying all manner of tips, tip mods, equalizing and, even later, removing the filters. This only proved - at least to me - that quite a few people were simply not all that impressed either, but having read so many positive impressions/reviews by a couple of seemingly respectable and/or experienced HF'ers, I feel many were 'made to like' the SM3s. I've given other reasons for this but won't rehash them. This, to me, has nothing to do with sound preferences, and goes beyond that rather simplistic explanation. 

I don't believe there's such a polarising IEM as the SM3. Yet I still keep reading of people who find the SM3 the best thing since sliced bread. 

So, after reading your post, I thought of this: I'm willing to give the SM3s a second chance if anyone is interested in what music_4321 may have to say about them and is willing to ship a loaner set within the European Union. I'm prepared to once again be blatantly honest and if I do hear things differently (for the better), I have no problem whatsoever saying so. If anyone is seriously interested, I'd rather keep this within the EU as shipping to and from the EU may be a bit risky. I'm prepared to cover the return shipping costs by registered post (about 10 EUR), which frankly doesn't make me very happy considering my strong feelings towards this particular IEM. Also, please note that I have sold both my UM3X & W4s, so I won't be able to do a head-to-head comparison with the SM3, but I still have my custom ES3X, which are close enough to the UM3Xs and I also think I remember pretty well what the W4s sound like.

Jun 13, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #456 of 1,167

Quote:

I'm probably the most critical person there is (at least in HF) when it comes to the SM3.

Turns out King Crimson is my favourite band (have all their albums and far too many live recordings). I also happen to have all Tool albums (Lateralus being my favourite). Don't know how well you actually know KC, but I can see you're more of a Tool fan - a great band indeed. I also like and have most albums by Pink Floyd (though I hardly ever listen to them) but, to me, KC is a completely different beast. BTW, I don't really enjoy ELP, Yes and quite a few other so-called Prog/Art-Rock bands, including Dream Theater.

Here's an anecdote: I went to see Tool live in London (UK) during their Lateralus tour and the sound at the venue (Brixton Academy) was so, so, SOOOO loud and poor that I just walked out after 15 mins! My ears kept ringing quite badly for well over two hours - never had I had such an assault on my ears. A shame, really, as I was really looking forward to seeing Tool live (and being around the young 'Toolers' in the audience). Great band, great audience, terrible sound.

Now, here's the thing: I found the SM3 simply appalling with most KC music I threw at it, specially Larks' Tongues in Aspic (my favourite), Red, Discipline, Starless & Bible Black, Lizard, The ConstruKction of Light (an absolute mess with the SM3s) & In the Court of the Crimson King. The only album that was barely listenable with the SM3s was their last album, The Power to Believe, and only just.

Although with Tool things were not such a big disaster, Lateralus still sounded pretty awful - and I do love the whole album. With the UM3X, W4 and even more with the EX1000, Lateralus and all other Tool albums sound(ed) significantly better.

My disappointment with the SM3s was such that at one point I thought I might have got a faulty set. This was at the height of the SM3 hype, where every single owner raved about them. Seems I didn't get a faulty pair as more and more reports - though not as critical - started to gradually pour in. Either I wasn't going mad, and the 'SM3 hype bubble' was beginning to burst, or Earsonics had such bad QC that quite a few faulty sets were being sold. I don't believe the latter is the case as, like I said recently, there were far too many posts suggesting countless hours of burn-in, trying all manner of tips, tip mods, equalizing and, even later, removing the filters. This only proved - at least to me - that quite a few people were simply not all that impressed either, but having read so many positive impressions/reviews by a couple of seemingly respectable and/or experienced HF'ers, I feel many were 'made to like' the SM3s. I've given other reasons for this but won't rehash them. This, to me, has nothing to do with sound preferences, and goes beyond that rather simplistic explanation. 

I don't believe there's such a polarising IEM as the SM3. Yet I still keep reading of people who find the SM3 the best thing since sliced bread. 

So, after reading your post, I thought of this: I'm willing to give the SM3s a second chance if anyone is interested in what music_4321 may have to say about them and is willing to ship a loaner set within the European Union. I'm prepared to once again be blatantly honest and if I do hear things differently (for the better), I have no problem whatsoever saying so. If anyone is seriously interested, I'd rather keep this within the EU as shipping to and from the EU may be a bit risky. I'm prepared to cover the return shipping costs by registered post (about 10 EUR), which frankly doesn't make me very happy considering my strong feelings towards this particular IEM. Also, please note that I have sold both my UM3X & W4s, so I won't be able to do a head-to-head comparison with the SM3, but I still have my custom ES3X, which are close enough to the UM3Xs and I also think I remember pretty well what the W4s sound like.

Yeah I saw Tool Twice First time was outdoors in Boston (Great Woods) Lateralus tour and it was one of the best shows I've seen hands down. Sound was very good. Saw them a year later indoors, and it had horrendous sound. Couldn't even make out the songs. I wonder if some of those early sets were faulty. Reading so many posts, some early ones were falling apart, others swore they felt one ear piece was louder than the other, another swore one of his drivers was dead (I think it was this post) Anyways, I appreciate your candor 4,3,2,1.

Jun 13, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #457 of 1,167

Quote:

Thanks, music_4321. Not sure if being an 'interesting post' is complimentary or worrisome, though, LOL.

Admittedly, i only got into KC after seeing them on tour with TOOL and reading about how TOOL draws many influences from them. TOOL still remains my all time fave and despite being a few years on, I am still a novice at KC's music. Dont have many albums really: In the Court of the Crimson King, Red, Discipline, 3 of a Perfect Pair and Heavy ConstruKCtion (Live 3 disc set). I enjoy PF, but like you, hardly ever listen to them much now and still dont have a full catalogue of their albums. I really should get back to buying cds and enjoying music more than I do on the gear, i suppose. My experiences with Tool, all 4 of them during the Lateralus tour, were excellent. Did not encounter any sound issues despite them all being indoor venues. Guess the FoH (or is it BoH?) guys were really on their game those nights.Oh and Freefallr4545, i saw them once in Boston, MA (Fleet Center) and Manchester, NH back in the '02 when i was studying in New Hampshire. Both shows were only 2 days apart! Yes i was that crazy about them. Also saw them in  '01 with KC in Seattle and again in Fall '01 in Mansfield, MA.

Back to the SM3, i couldnt agree more on your comments about it being polarizing. I didnt read too many reviews on it and didnt want as i didnt want to go into Jaben with some sort of preconceived notion of how it should sound. The only cue i took was from dfkt's review on it on ABI. His review was rather pragmatic and the fact that he started off hating it immensely and then slowly starting to understand its signature and loving it, really piqued my interest. Hence the audition at Jaben alongside the UM3x which I was initially planning to come home with.

I wont get into details and specifics on how it sounds with KC's albums and TOOL's albums as I could dig myself into a hole with my lack on understanding of the proper terminology. it is certainly not flawless. Nor is it the be all, end all in neutral or analytical IEMs. In fact i dont think those terms even apply to it. I would go only so far as to say its balanced (to me) and at the same time mid-forward and thats about it. I know that contradictory but thats the best i know how to describe it. All I can really say is I enjoy how the music is presented to via the SM3s. As I said before, it sounds like i am on stage with the band in front and around me and i love that. Sure, being in the front rows of the audience is awesome too...but the exhilaration on being on stage with a band, playing your heart out is really something else. And the Sm3 gives me that, more so than the UM3x and other IEMs I own or auditioned / listened to. The fact I could imagine being on stage and still hearing details in the highs and lows like I could with the CK10s, really won me over. And this was all with the stock bi-flanges (small bore), mind you. Maybe there's something kooky about my hearing or maybe I'm 'gifted'? Dont know, dont care. All I know is, after a long time I could sit back and enjoy the music in all its glory and detail without getting too caught up in looking out for more and more detail and being analytical. Hmm...maybe THAT's the SM3s charm? Your guess is as good as mine.

Jun 13, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #458 of 1,167

Quote:

Thanks, music_4321. Not sure if being an 'interesting post' is complimentary or worrisome, though, LOL.

Admittedly, i only got into KC after seeing them on tour with TOOL and reading about how TOOL draws many influences from them. TOOL still remains my all time fave and despite being a few years on, I am still a novice at KC's music. Dont have many albums really: In the Court of the Crimson King, Red, Discipline, 3 of a Perfect Pair and Heavy ConstruKCtion (Live 3 disc set). I enjoy PF, but like you, hardly ever listen to them much now and still dont have a full catalogue of their albums. I really should get back to buying cds and enjoying music more than I do on the gear, i suppose. My experiences with Tool, all 4 of them during the Lateralus tour, were excellent. Did not encounter any sound issues despite them all being indoor venues. Guess the FoH (or is it BoH?) guys were really on their game those nights.Oh and Freefallr4545, i saw them once in Boston, MA (Fleet Center) and Manchester, NH back in the '02 when i was studying in New Hampshire. Both shows were only 2 days apart! Yes i was that crazy about them. Also saw them in  '01 with KC in Seattle and again in Fall '01 in Mansfield, MA.

Back to the SM3, i couldnt agree more on your comments about it being polarizing. I didnt read too many reviews on it and didnt want as i didnt want to go into Jaben with some sort of preconceived notion of how it should sound. The only cue i took was from dfkt's review on it on ABI. His review was rather pragmatic and the fact that he started off hating it immensely and then slowly starting to understand its signature and loving it, really piqued my interest. Hence the audition at Jaben alongside the UM3x which I was initially planning to come home with.

I wont get into details and specifics on how it sounds with KC's albums and TOOL's albums as I could dig myself into a hole with my lack on understanding of the proper terminology. it is certainly not flawless. Nor is it the be all, end all in neutral or analytical IEMs. In fact i dont think those terms even apply to it. I would go only so far as to say its balanced (to me) and at the same time mid-forward and thats about it. I know that contradictory but thats the best i know how to describe it. All I can really say is I enjoy how the music is presented to via the SM3s. As I said before, it sounds like i am on stage with the band in front and around me and i love that. Sure, being in the front rows of the audience is awesome too...but the exhilaration on being on stage with a band, playing your heart out is really something else. And the Sm3 gives me that, more so than the UM3x and other IEMs I own or auditioned / listened to. The fact I could imagine being on stage and still hearing details in the highs and lows like I could with the CK10s, really won me over. And this was all with the stock bi-flanges (small bore), mind you. Maybe there's something kooky about my hearing or maybe I'm 'gifted'? Dont know, dont care. All I know is, after a long time I could sit back and enjoy the music in all its glory and detail without getting too caught up in looking out for more and more detail and being analytical. Hmm...maybe THAT's the SM3s charm? Your guess is as good as mine.

Ok Then, Well spending a little time in Beantown I hope you're pulling for the Bruins Tonight, and I hope they made a Red Sox fan of you (If you're into Sports) I also saw a Perfect Circle several Times, and the First Time I saw them was with the Original Line up, with Paz on Bass and Violin. That Show just blew me away. I wasn't expecting anything, and I'm sure that helped, but the music was so cohesive, and moving. The other times I saw them were really good, but they didn't seem to gel like the original line up. Most Tool heads, aren't too into APC, but Ironically thats's how I got into Tool. I was so moved by that First Show, Maynard and Co. Into Puscifer too. They got some really good stuff There up here is Seattle real soon. 
  Back to the Sm3. I really like how you explain what you like about these guys. I agree I think most people that are into the heavy stuff are used to a V or a U signature. But after Listening with the Shures for several years, those Guitars really cut through. I keep asking Questions on the Sm3 as it is polarizing. One thing< I do Like the thinner sound of the Shures also, as I always used 10" Speakers in my music rig, Instead of the standard 12's making it less boomy, and gets really nasty, cutting through the Mix. So I really love how the Shures do Guitars. (Acoustic Piano is absolutely amazing too). So again, I really like what you have to say, and It is pushing me to giving the Sm3's a shot and really tempted with the Impressive Midrange. From what another reviewer Shane said it's like the Opposite of the 535's, Where the Lower Mids Shine on the Sm3's The Higher Mids Shine on the 535s..., and visa versa  Very Interesting. Hey Glad I got you back into Mudvayne. I hadn't listened to them in about a year or so and Picked right up where I left off

Jun 13, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #459 of 1,167
I'll toss a vote in for the stock bi flanges, you're not the only one that found them comfortable and they do a decent job for me. I've never liked complys, they are made of foam after all, a material that leaks air as it consists of holes, there's no way I would choose them unless the silicone was incredibly bad, I like my bass tight and accurate and I've always found foams to bloat the bass as the seal isn't as good. The one thing I didn't like about the stock bi flange was that it didn't go deep enough, which is why I bought sensorcom tips and cut them to my preferred length. When I get round to it, I will get custom tips, as there really is nothing better, I had them on my old IEMs and I'm used to that snug and deep fit.

As to sound, I like them a lot, I can see alphaman's view, perhaps the SM3s don't present the "accurate" portrayal of his music, quote marks because that's a very subjective term as no one can prove what is and isn't accurate unless they happened to be there in the studio when it was "live" and somehow accurately remember the sounds produced to compare. I personally think all IEMs flavour music differently, the SM3s are smooth, and I like that smoothness, a lot. He doesn't, fair enough.

Jun 14, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #460 of 1,167

Quote:

Ya.  They fell out quite a bit.  I used the ear pieces that came with it from the large foam tips which sealed the best to me at the time and than the med silicone tips that gave it the best sound.  I would turn up the bass nob so I wouldn't hear the mid bass hump.  Of course the bass would be a lot louder but thats the only way I could really listen to them.  I tried to get shure olive tips and decored them to just slap on the tips.  It was the best seal but still... using it while jogging and lifting weights the ear phones would fall out(with every tip used) and than I'd have to play around with the phones until I got both sides to sound the same again.  By that time I waisted to much time where I could have been lifting or jogging and lost the motivation to do either.  I needed something that stayed IN and the SM3 does that.  I use the 1st version but I wouldn't mind going for the 2nd.  If anything I'll use the 1st version while lifting and jogging and the 2nd to just listen to.  

I hope that helps.  But Im not sure how many hifis use the phone while they jog or lift or any other exercises.  
BTW... those look great in your ears.  I wish I had them...lol
Glad you enjoy them.  I'm only speaking for myself on these terms but, everyone won't go using the phone the same way another does.  Im just sharing from my own experience.  

[size=medium]
Wow.. I know how irritating it is to have your headphones fall out during work out.. to me anyway. I am assuming the v1 is very similar in that regard, but ya.. they stay in.. they are actually hard to take out. Comfort wise the v2 fits me very well.. no issues at all. I went on a another long bike ride today and I am very happy with the isolation using shure olive tips. Haven't taken them to the gym yet, sometime this week.. I am sure they will do fine. 

Listening to some bird and the bee right now trough my sansa clip +...  joy 
[/size]

Jun 14, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #461 of 1,167

Quote:

Ok Then, Well spending a little time in Beantown I hope you're pulling for the Bruins Tonight, and I hope they made a Red Sox fan of you (If you're into Sports) I also saw a Perfect Circle several Times, and the First Time I saw them was with the Original Line up, with Paz on Bass and Violin. That Show just blew me away. I wasn't expecting anything, and I'm sure that helped, but the music was so cohesive, and moving. The other times I saw them were really good, but they didn't seem to gel like the original line up. Most Tool heads, aren't too into APC, but Ironically thats's how I got into Tool. I was so moved by that First Show, Maynard and Co. Into Puscifer too. They got some really good stuff There up here is Seattle real soon. 
  Back to the Sm3. I really like how you explain what you like about these guys. I agree I think most people that are into the heavy stuff are used to a V or a U signature. But after Listening with the Shures for several years, those Guitars really cut through. I keep asking Questions on the Sm3 as it is polarizing. One thing< I do Like the thinner sound of the Shures also, as I always used 10" Speakers in my music rig, Instead of the standard 12's making it less boomy, and gets really nasty, cutting through the Mix. So I really love how the Shures do Guitars. (Acoustic Piano is absolutely amazing too). So again, I really like what you have to say, and It is pushing me to giving the Sm3's a shot and really tempted with the Impressive Midrange. From what another reviewer Shane said it's like the Opposite of the 535's, Where the Lower Mids Shine on the Sm3's The Higher Mids Shine on the 535s..., and visa versa  Very Interesting. Hey Glad I got you back into Mudvayne. I hadn't listened to them in about a year or so and Picked right up where I left off

Never been to an APC show but would have loved to have gone. Yes, I too prefer the original line up w/ Paz but the current line up isn't all that bad. Mer De Noms was an awesome album with really great songs. I can only imagine how powerful the live experience must have been. As for sports, went to a few Red Sox games and Bruins game but i guess having grown up in this part of the world, both sports those teams play were very new to me. That said, I did enjoy the Red Sox games and the atmosphere. If I had stayed long enough, I'm sure I'd have become a fan. Over here soccer is the big thing, and I just dont get that either. Guess im not really a big sports fan, not that I'm against it.

Glad someone likes what I have to say about the SM3s and find its useful. The SM3s are all that and a bag of chips to me but dont just take my word for it. Give it a good listening to before you buy it if you can. The excitement I feel for it may not necessarily be shared by you. That been said, the mids are certainly SM3s bread and butter and guitars do cut like a knife...in a good way. Altho, i'm not sure if agree with the low mids / hi mids thing. I felt it pretty much did the whole mids spectrum really well, male vocals, female vocals, guitars (screeching, crunching or downright thick and sludgy). BTW, 535s are essentially the same as the 530s in that theyre also a 3-driver, 2-way config right?

Oh I didnt stop listening to Mudvayne, just had forgotten about LD50...and now its back in my primary rotation list again.
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #462 of 1,167

Quote:
I'll toss a vote in for the stock bi flanges, you're not the only one that found them comfortable and they do a decent job for me. I've never liked complys, they are made of foam after all, a material that leaks air as it consists of holes, there's no way I would choose them unless the silicone was incredibly bad, I like my bass tight and accurate and I've always found foams to bloat the bass as the seal isn't as good. The one thing I didn't like about the stock bi flange was that it didn't go deep enough, which is why I bought sensorcom tips and cut them to my preferred length. When I get round to it, I will get custom tips, as there really is nothing better, I had them on my old IEMs and I'm used to that snug and deep fit.

As to sound, I like them a lot, I can see alphaman's view, perhaps the SM3s don't present the "accurate" portrayal of his music, quote marks because that's a very subjective term as no one can prove what is and isn't accurate unless they happened to be there in the studio when it was "live" and somehow accurately remember the sounds produced to compare. I personally think all IEMs flavour music differently, the SM3s are smooth, and I like that smoothness, a lot. He doesn't, fair enough.

Yay, it would appear I am not alone in that respect! Still, am waiting to try the new wide-bored stock biflanges and see how they sound. Fit-wise the current biflanges i have are nice and snug, isloate really well and i have no issue with comforat or fatigue using them. I would say my ear canals are neither large nor small...just medium / regular, I guess? On the whole, despite many complaining about the v1s boxy shape, i've not had any problems with it and actually prefer it to the newer v2. To me the v2 just doesnt look all that special any longer. Looks very Westone-ish, which isnt a bad thing...just no longer unique.

Jun 14, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #463 of 1,167

Quote:

[size=medium]
Wow.. I know how irritating it is to have your headphones fall out during work out.. to me anyway. I am assuming the v1 is very similar in that regard, but ya.. they stay in.. they are actually hard to take out. Comfort wise the v2 fits me very well.. no issues at all. I went on a another long bike ride today and I am very happy with the isolation using shure olive tips. Haven't taken them to the gym yet, sometime this week.. I am sure they will do fine. 

Listening to some bird and the bee right now trough my sansa clip +...  joy 
[/size]

The V1 stay in very well.  I haven't had any problems with them falling out.  Haha your using the sansa clip with it?  I use that also.  Forget the ipod shuffle.  I got my sansa clip for 40 bucks and I can eq it unlike the ipod shuffle.  But Im not sure how the newer version shuffles work.  I might just take the plunge for the v2 or up grade it to the v2 and pay the difference.  Decisions, decisions.  Im glad your enjoying your sm3 v2 though.  They apeal to me more than the v1 but I'll see how things go.  Is there anything that might bother you about it at the moment?  
Mine is the cord.  Below the y-splitter the cord wires seem to have gotten loosened up.  I keep having to twist the cord and hold it there for about 30 seconds to get the cord to bend back into place.  Other than that its good to go!

Jun 14, 2011 at 4:52 AM Post #464 of 1,167

Quote:
Yay, it would appear I am not alone in that respect! Still, am waiting to try the new wide-bored stock biflanges and see how they sound. Fit-wise the current biflanges i have are nice and snug, isloate really well and i have no issue with comforat or fatigue using them. I would say my ear canals are neither large nor small...just medium / regular, I guess? On the whole, despite many complaining about the v1s boxy shape, i've not had any problems with it and actually prefer it to the newer v2. To me the v2 just doesnt look all that special any longer. Looks very Westone-ish, which isnt a bad thing...just no longer unique.

I've already posted that I much prefer the V1 look, and personally I hate memory wire/cable guides. The cable is very comfortable over the ear, and I can perhaps see an incentive for sweat etc, but the comfort of only having the very soft cable over the ear is perfect for me. The silicones are indeed very comfortable and I have small canals, but I also understand that, from a universal point of view, 2 pairs of the same size silicones leaves people who it doesn't fit, pretty screwed.

Jun 14, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #465 of 1,167

Quote:

I used to have the SE530 for three years which I enjoyed a lot.  The midrange is absolutely great and it is better than the SM3, but not by much.  In fact their sound signatures are similar.  The SM3 has much better bass.  The treble on the SM3 like the SE530 is a bit recessed, but the SM3 has more extension.  So with my rockboxed fuze, I EQ the high end and it works great.  However, the treble of both of them do not compare with my full size cans.  But it is the portability issue.  Other things about the SM3, it has better separation and more detailed.  I used have bunch of old MP3 ripped at 128kpbs which sounded fine with the SE530.  After I got the SM3 I had to re-ripped them to 256kpbs because this IEM is more revealing.  Now, I don't have an extensive experience with other IEM's but this is just my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back