Earsonics sm3 V2
Dec 9, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #796 of 1,167
Hi, Heret1c
If I remember correctly, those are head direct biflange with a spacer. But I don't use those tips any more. I prefer the sensorcom tips. The give better treble response. However, those black tips gave more space and air to the sound.

Recently acquired the Sony EX600, and they sound nice, but it looks like my SM3 still have the crown of my best IEM (RE--252, IE8, EX600 and SM3). The EX600 are too new to say for sure, however.

Dec 19, 2011 at 5:39 AM Post #797 of 1,167

Quote:
Hi, Heret1c
If I remember correctly, those are head direct biflange with a spacer. But I don't use those tips any more. I prefer the sensorcom tips. The give better treble response. However, those black tips gave more space and air to the sound.

Recently acquired the Sony EX600, and they sound nice, but it looks like my SM3 still have the crown of my best IEM (RE--252, IE8, EX600 and SM3). The EX600 are too new to say for sure, however.

Ahh...thanks Photofan!

Dec 31, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #798 of 1,167
Probably a really odd question, but can these IEMs produce a "romantic atmosphere"? I'm not anywhere close to being a proper audiophile, only owning a pair of Alessandro MS-1 headphones. While I was listening to some romantic ballads on my J3, I realised how my MS-1 was too "bright and fun" for this genre which in-turn killed the mood for me. So I've been searching for a pair of IEMs to fit that genre and the SM3 does sound awfully close to what I'm hoping to achieve (warm, sweet vocals without the overly bright trebles).

Here's an example of the type of songs I'll be listening to (http://rigetbl.blog47.fc2.com/blog-entry-82.html). Apologies in advance if it has been answered somewhere in the thread, or it turns out to be a silly question. However, I would still love to hear some opinions from actual owners of the SM3. I've gone through the entire thread without managing to find the answer to my question, but then again.. I'm not too familiar with the terms that many use.

Jan 1, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #799 of 1,167
Probably a really odd question, but can these IEMs produce a "romantic atmosphere"? I'm not anywhere close to being a proper audiophile, only owning a pair of Alessandro MS-1 headphones. While I was listening to some romantic ballads on my J3, I realised how my MS-1 was too "bright and fun" for this genre which in-turn killed the mood for me. So I've been searching for a pair of IEMs to fit that genre and the SM3 does sound awfully close to what I'm hoping to achieve (warm, sweet vocals without the overly bright trebles).

Here's an example of the type of songs I'll be listening to (http://rigetbl.blog47.fc2.com/blog-entry-82.html). Apologies in advance if it has been answered somewhere in the thread, or it turns out to be a silly question. However, I would still love to hear some opinions from actual owners of the SM3. I've gone through the entire thread without managing to find the answer to my question, but then again.. I'm not too familiar with the terms that many use.

I sold mine because they to me sounded unnatural (aggressive and sharp) and with distinct peaks in the mid bass, treble and mids. (so IMO, no, far from 'romantic').

Jan 1, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #800 of 1,167

Quote:
I sold mine because they to me sounded unnatural (aggressive and sharp) and with distinct peaks in the mid bass, treble and mids. (so IMO, no, far from 'romantic').

Thanks! You've saved me the heartache of finding out the hard way myself. I was almost tempted to click on the "Buy" button after reading through so many positive reviews about its SQ on the Head-fi. Lol. Will be looking at the Shure SE535 instead I suppose since I've heard they are pretty well-equipped in the vocals department. :)

Jan 2, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #801 of 1,167
Thanks! You've saved me the heartache of finding out the hard way myself. I was almost tempted to click on the "Buy" button after reading through so many positive reviews about its SQ on the Head-fi. Lol. Will be looking at the Shure SE535 instead I suppose since I've heard they are pretty well-equipped in the vocals department. :)

I have a pair of se425, and while not the most resolving in the treble, or detailed overall, the forward mids and nice enough low end would fit your definition of romantic a lot better then sm3v2. (535 is pretty similar to se425) (http://www.head-fi.org/products/shure-se425-v-dual-high-definition-microdriver-earphone-with-detachable-cable-metallic-silver/reviews/6013). Plus, forward mids on se425 sound a whole lot more natural then SM3v2 does overall :D

Jan 7, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #802 of 1,167
Tried out the SM3v2 today... they don't sound like what people say it sounds like, at least for the descriptions w/regard to the v1!

I haven't read everything in here, but to me, the vocals are really close and it has reasonable highs, not dark and slightly veiled like most say it is.... I would say the UM3x has more of a veil and less controlled bass.

Anyways, it has great natural separation and detailing; perhaps a bit too forward in the mids for my taste, but really great overall; it has officially tempered my lust for the UM3x... however, the housings are terrible despite the revision... still! Westone/Shure housings are still better.

Jan 19, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #803 of 1,167
After receiving my SM3 v2 a few days ago, I noticed certain different characteristics it has compared to v1. The nosle of the right earpiece of my SM3 v1 had broken about two months ago; so I thought maybe in the two months without the SM3, I forgot how it sounded, but I wanted to consider other possibilities, too. So I e-mailed Franck from Earsonics about it and he gave me a short reply:

"Hi Franck,

I have just upgraded my SM3 v1 to SM3 v2. I noticed that with v2 I need to boost the bass a little more and decrease the treble a bit; this means that v2 has more treble and the warmness has decreased compared to the v1. I had read in a forum your comment that the two versions sound identical. Since I am using the same tips I had been using with my v1 and not the new tips, the tips cannot contribute to the change in the sound... I realize the change may be due to different/better seal with the v2. But I was wondering, could the new SM3 v2 need burning-in? Do you use the parts from an SM3 v1 when upgrading it to SM3 v2? I am asking this, because if you do so, then burning-in may not be needed anyway, right?"

"This deference is just that with time your V1 treble has decrease because of the dirt on green filters... (like a burning)

sincerely,
Franck Lopez"

So... I have questions still unanswered. I really don't think it could only be due to the dirt covering the filter that the treble on my SM3 v1 sounded less shrill/distrubing/harsh/aggressive than on the new SM3 v2. Most people found the highs to be inadequate or at least recessed on the SM3 v1, whereas I really liked the non-fatiguing/modest highs it produced. So I believe the increase in the highs on the new version is due to the need for burning-in (hopefully) other than the better seal I get with it compared to v1 - with which, to be honest, I used to get great seal, too. Because for me not only the treble is increased, but also the warmness has decreased, judging by the need I feel to boost the bass and the mid bass by a few dbs while listening to the very same albums I used to listen with generally the same EQ settings. So it's not only about the treble finally coming to its own due to acquiring better seal, but also a change in the warmness too, which can't be related to better seal, can it? Since, as far as I know, a poor seal decreases the bass perceived, not the opposite.

Or maybe my mind is playing tricks on me; I need to re-adjust my mind to the SM3 sound once more...

Any thoughts? 

Jan 19, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #804 of 1,167
I'm in no way an expert or an authority on this but I think there might be SOME merit to the theory of dirt clogging the filters and altering the sound. A very similar discussion / argument was going on in the PFE232 thread on head-fi on this same topic with respect to the older Phonak filters sounding different from the new one despite supposedly doing the same thing. But in that case, there was also a consideration for the fact that the filters looked different in terms of the filtered area being different sizes.

I am a v1 owner and while I baby them a helluva lot, I can't say for sure that there is no dirt in the filters or that the sound hasn't changed a bit without me realizing it. I use them very often so the gradual change in sound may have just gone unnoticed. Then again, sonic memory is kinda hopeless and I can't depend on it to compare how it sounds now versus how it did when I first got it. I do, however, know from my side by side listening with the v1 and v2 that they sound identical maybe up to 95-98%. The slight difference there was VERY likely caused by fit as I simply could get as good and comfy a fit with the v2 as I did with the v1. Yes, I'm one of those weirdos who found the v1s comfy and smexy! So I'll attribute the 3-5% difference in sound to that. Still, it did not sound like the v2 was any less warm or more had more treble.

I'm thinking maybe you're getting a different kind of fit with this v2 which seems to emphasis the highs and by virtue of that emphasis, the bass and warmth doesnt seem as much as it used to be? I'm just spitballing here, but it makes sense to me. YMMV tho.

Quote:
After receiving my SM3 v2 a few days ago, I noticed certain different characteristics it has compared to v1. The nosle of the right earpiece of my SM3 v1 had broken about two months ago; so I thought maybe in the two months without the SM3, I forgot how it sounded, but I wanted to consider other possibilities, too. So I e-mailed Franck from Earsonics about it and he gave me a short reply:

"Hi Franck,

I have just upgraded my SM3 v1 to SM3 v2. I noticed that with v2 I need to boost the bass a little more and decrease the treble a bit; this means that v2 has more treble and the warmness has decreased compared to the v1. I had read in a forum your comment that the two versions sound identical. Since I am using the same tips I had been using with my v1 and not the new tips, the tips cannot contribute to the change in the sound... I realize the change may be due to different/better seal with the v2. But I was wondering, could the new SM3 v2 need burning-in? Do you use the parts from an SM3 v1 when upgrading it to SM3 v2? I am asking this, because if you do so, then burning-in may not be needed anyway, right?"

"This deference is just that with time your V1 treble has decrease because of the dirt on green filters... (like a burning)

sincerely,
Franck Lopez"

So... I have questions still unanswered. I really don't think it could only be due to the dirt covering the filter that the treble on my SM3 v1 sounded less shrill/distrubing/harsh/aggressive than on the new SM3 v2. Most people found the highs to be inadequate or at least recessed on the SM3 v1, whereas I really liked the non-fatiguing/modest highs it produced. So I believe the increase in the highs on the new version is due to the need for burning-in (hopefully) other than the better seal I get with it compared to v1 - with which, to be honest, I used to get great seal, too. Because for me not only the treble is increased, but also the warmness has decreased, judging by the need I feel to boost the bass and the mid bass by a few dbs while listening to the very same albums I used to listen with generally the same EQ settings. So it's not only about the treble finally coming to its own due to acquiring better seal, but also a change in the warmness too, which can't be related to better seal, can it? Since, as far as I know, a poor seal decreases the bass perceived, not the opposite.

Or maybe my mind is playing tricks on me; I need to re-adjust my mind to the SM3 sound once more...

Any thoughts? 

Jan 19, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #805 of 1,167

Quote:
I'm in no way an expert or an authority on this but I think there might be SOME merit to the theory of dirt clogging the filters and altering the sound. A very similar discussion / argument was going on in the PFE232 thread on head-fi on this same topic with respect to the older Phonak filters sounding different from the new one despite supposedly doing the same thing. But in that case, there was also a consideration for the fact that the filters looked different in terms of the filtered area being different sizes.

I am a v1 owner and while I baby them a helluva lot, I can't say for sure that there is no dirt in the filters or that the sound hasn't changed a bit without me realizing it. I use them very often so the gradual change in sound may have just gone unnoticed. Then again, sonic memory is kinda hopeless and I can't depend on it to compare how it sounds now versus how it did when I first got it. I do, however, know from my side by side listening with the v1 and v2 that they sound identical maybe up to 95-98%. The slight difference there was VERY likely caused by fit as I simply could get as good and comfy a fit with the v2 as I did with the v1. Yes, I'm one of those weirdos who found the v1s comfy and smexy! So I'll attribute the 3-5% difference in sound to that. Still, it did not sound like the v2 was any less warm or more had more treble.

I'm thinking maybe you're getting a different kind of fit with this v2 which seems to emphasis the highs and by virtue of that emphasis, the bass and warmth doesnt seem as much as it used to be? I'm just spitballing here, but it makes sense to me. YMMV tho.

Yeah you could absolutely be right about, well, everything... It was just striking for me to feel the need to change my eq settings (that have stayed pretty much stable for more than a year, with a small margin for adjustments of course) and it was hard for me to believe all this is due to a proper seal attained with v2, since I always believed I had perfect seal with v1 also, though it would get uncomfortable for me after 60-90 minutes. Plus, in an IEM, a better seal should mean better/more bass perception; well that's how I knew it. Well I'm repeating myself... The V2s are buning in right now with alternating pink noise and logarithmic sine waves and silence; let me see if there's any change after that...

Jan 19, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #806 of 1,167
I have a few questions.

i have a pair of SM3v2. and im not compleatly sold on the sound.

Theres slight sillebance.
but they sound somewhat cold and mechanical. anyone else notice that ?

Also ho can you tell the SM3 from the 2 or the 1 in the V2. they all look the same.
anyone has a photo 1v2v3 comparision ?

also the cable plug in to the earphone is still as hell. anyone managed to unplug it ? im fearful of breaking it.

And the smooth tube makes the damn silicon plugs stay in my ear all the time, any fix for that ?

Jan 19, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #807 of 1,167

Quote:
I have a few questions.

i have a pair of SM3v2. and im not compleatly sold on the sound.

My friend, I myself hated the sound of SM3 initially and asked myself "have I spent so much money on this crap?" In a week I started liking it and loved every second of my experience with it onwards for 14 months. When it broke I didn't go looking for a new IEM -even though I'm curious: I upgraded it to v2. MOST of the SM3 lovers disliked it at first. That is because it has a distinct character and if you come to love it, it surely is an acquired taste. Some didn't like it even after giving it enough time of course.

My advice to you is to try to understand its characteristics and savour them for what they are, instead of asking yourself "is this the holy grail? How does it compare to this and that...?" In fact this way of looking maybe beneficial in evaluating all models. You have time: I believe soundearphones will take it back within a month without asking any questions. Plus, beyond that one month window, there will always be an opportunity to sell it on this forum for a reasonable price without losing much. So take your time. Chances are, you will come to realize the beauty and uniqueness of this special IEM. (Note that I mentioned beauty and uniqueness separately since I don't want to give the impression that this IEM is beautiful due to its uniqueness; its one of the most beloved top-tier IEMs out there. its beauty and uniqueness are distinct characters...)

Theres slight sillebance.

Did you buy it new and when? 

The sibilance maybe due to virginity of the item: try burning it in: http://www.head-fi.org/t/466827/free-burn-in-files

but they sound somewhat cold and mechanical. anyone else notice that ?

"Cold and mechanical" are not the usual adjectives used to describe the SM3 sound. Usually "engaging" and "lush" are the adjectives of preference for it.  

Also ho can you tell the SM3 from the 2 or the 1 in the V2. they all look the same.
anyone has a photo 1v2v3 comparision ?

V1 has an almost quare and transparent body. V2 is round and black.

also the cable plug in to the earphone is still as hell. anyone managed to unplug it ? im fearful of breaking it.

I haven't dared to pull that cable out of it's place due to exactly the same fear of breaking it.

And the smooth tube makes the damn silicon plugs stay in my ear all the time, any fix for that ?

I don't know what you mean here: one of the common problems people report with IEMs is that some models tend to fall off some ears. An earpiece firmly sitting in place and not falling off should be a good thing. The tightness of seal means good isolation and accurate pojection of the entire spectrum of sound. 

Enjoy your SM3...

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #808 of 1,167

Quote:

I don't know what you mean here: one of the common problems people report with IEMs is that some models tend to fall off some ears. An earpiece firmly sitting in place and not falling off should be a good thing. The tightness of seal means good isolation and accurate pojection of the entire spectrum of sound.

Enjoy your SM3...

I think he's referring to the silicon tips detaching themselves from the earpiece when he's removing it from his ears, hence leaving the tips stuck in his ears. Personally, this only happens with my right earpiece and only after switching to the newer tips (the wider bore ones which came out around the same time as the v2s). Frankly, i don't know if there's much you can do that and since its practically a non-issue to me, I haven't really bothered to look for a solution.

Jan 20, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #809 of 1,167
ok, lets clarify some things.

My last IEM was the IE8. it has lush thick and somewhat bouncy sound so the SM3 sounds a bit mechanical to me. maybe its the armature vs dynamic issue.

As for the 3v2v1 i ment how to distinguish the SM1 from the SM2 from the SM3 in the V2. since they all look the same on EarSonics website.

Im using earsonics bifalanges that came with the earphones and i keep having the same problem, the silicon tips stay in my ear when i remove the earphone. now im more careful and attempt to put my finger on the silicon tip when pulling them out but still once in a while it sticks in.

Its a shame, i was taking them off to talk to this girl and i was cockblocked by my own IEM´s, since its not exactly cute or sexy to stand there like an idiot trying to dig out a silicon tip out of your ear for 5 minutes.

Jan 20, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #810 of 1,167

Quote:
ok, lets clarify some things.

My last IEM was the IE8. it has lush thick and somewhat bouncy sound so the SM3 sounds a bit mechanical to me. maybe its the armature vs dynamic issue.

As for the 3v2v1 i ment how to distinguish the SM1 from the SM2 from the SM3 in the V2. since they all look the same on EarSonics website.

Im using earsonics bifalanges that came with the earphones and i keep having the same problem, the silicon tips stay in my ear when i remove the earphone. now im more careful and attempt to put my finger on the silicon tip when pulling them out but still once in a while it sticks in.

Its a shame, i was taking them off to talk to this girl and i was cockblocked by my own IEM´s, since its not exactly cute or sexy to stand there like an idiot trying to dig out a silicon tip out of your ear for 5 minutes.

Oh dude! THat's awful! But I gotta LOL at that. HAHAHA.

Anyways, try what I do...pull the top of your ear up and out when removing the earpieces. Works for me, No more stuck tips. Also works for when you wanna put them on.

As for distinguishing the Sm1 / Sm2v2 / SM3v2....haven't a clue. The v1 Sm3 and Sm2 were easy to differenciate cuz the Sm2 had solid white housings and the Sm3 has half transparent housings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back