Earsonics sm3 V2
Jan 20, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #811 of 1,167

Quote:
I'm in no way an expert or an authority on this but I think there might be SOME merit to the theory of dirt clogging the filters and altering the sound. A very similar discussion / argument was going on in the PFE232 thread on head-fi on this same topic with respect to the older Phonak filters sounding different from the new one despite supposedly doing the same thing. But in that case, there was also a consideration for the fact that the filters looked different in terms of the filtered area being different sizes.

I am a v1 owner and while I baby them a helluva lot, I can't say for sure that there is no dirt in the filters or that the sound hasn't changed a bit without me realizing it. I use them very often so the gradual change in sound may have just gone unnoticed. Then again, sonic memory is kinda hopeless and I can't depend on it to compare how it sounds now versus how it did when I first got it. I do, however, know from my side by side listening with the v1 and v2 that they sound identical maybe up to 95-98%. The slight difference there was VERY likely caused by fit as I simply could get as good and comfy a fit with the v2 as I did with the v1. Yes, I'm one of those weirdos who found the v1s comfy and smexy! So I'll attribute the 3-5% difference in sound to that. Still, it did not sound like the v2 was any less warm or more had more treble.

I'm thinking maybe you're getting a different kind of fit with this v2 which seems to emphasis the highs and by virtue of that emphasis, the bass and warmth doesnt seem as much as it used to be? I'm just spitballing here, but it makes sense to me. YMMV tho.

I'm happy to announce that 20 hours of pink noise solved all the problems: the harshness of the highs is gone totally and the sound is warm and nice like before. Unless the filters gathered so much dirt in two days, from now on I'm one of those believers of burn-in...

Jan 22, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #812 of 1,167

Quote:

I'm happy to announce that 20 hours of pink noise solved all the problems: the harshness of the highs is gone totally and the sound is warm and nice like before. Unless the filters gathered so much dirt in two days, from now on I'm one of those believers of burn-in...

Good for you! :D

Jan 22, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #814 of 1,167

Quote:
Anywhere in us to get these besides soundearphones or have a discount code for them??  Im lookin at these, but can get the w3 for $100+ dollars less than these?

Send an e-mail to soundearphones and ask for a discount even if you don't have a code or you've got an outdated one.

I believe they have an ebay store too. There you could enter a price yourself and make a bargain. One of the two ways would work I think.  

Jan 23, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #815 of 1,167
Hi SM3 and Potential SM3 owners

I would just like to let you guys know of the good customer service that SM3 has

I purchased a set 2nd hand of a headfi owner, and after a while, the bass response was lacking, as I had a previous version 1 of the sm3, and know what the bass usually sounds like

So I contacted the RMA department there, and always got a good quick response, either within a couple of hours or at least within a day. They were really helpful and gave accurate responses.

I ended up not having to pay for the repair of my V2, but just dumbfounded by quick and friendly the response team was.

With the V1 I think it was only Franck that was replying to emails, which was nice, but sometimes not that speedy or friendly :p but still he would reply

They probably have a bigger team operating. 

Just my 2 cents on having to deal with them. 

I have experience with JHaudio, Westone and Ultimate ears, but Earsonics, seems to top it. 

Enjoying my fixed SM3 V2 with nice bass now :))

Jan 23, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #816 of 1,167
im real close to ordering these, as soundearphones.com just dropped price by $20, not big deal, but maybe its a sign. final 3 are sm3v2, westone 3, and jvc 700. jvc sound like my kind of sound, but the poor isolation is holding me back. westone3 may work,.but sm3 with replaceable cables and higher rating is where im leaning, will the lower end of bass be close to that of westone 3 or some have said its better. tough call here

Jan 23, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #817 of 1,167

Quote:
im real close to ordering these, as soundearphones.com just dropped price by $20, not big deal, but maybe its a sign. final 3 are sm3v2, westone 3, and jvc 700. jvc sound like my kind of sound, but the poor isolation is holding me back. westone3 may work,.but sm3 with replaceable cables and higher rating is where im leaning, will the lower end of bass be close to that of westone 3 or some have said its better. tough call here

Don't even bother with FX700 if you want the slightest degree of isolation, they don't isolate at all even with Comply foams and a perfect seal. You'll go deaf if you want to hear anything in a public place. Strictly for home/quiet places.

Between the other 2, if you want fun, Westone 3 will make you smile (probably as much as the FX700s).
The SM3 are more like a polyvalent contender.

Quote:
I have experience with JHaudio, Westone and Ultimate ears, but Earsonics, seems to top it. 

For once, people seem to appreciate first-class French service.
But trust me, it's becoming rare in France, so kudos to the Earsonics crew.

Jan 23, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #818 of 1,167

Quote:

Virtually no isolation regardless of tips. 

Jan 23, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #819 of 1,167
i had the sm3 before...and did some review with it.
i was really surprise right now that i missed it now after months that its already been owned by the one who bought it from me.
what really makes me missed this is its laidback sound, holographic 3d soundstage, and one of the best vocals out there...
and the advantage that you can wear this during sleep.

those things are kinda rare in an iem.
the ortofon is one of the nicest iem that is really closer to the sm3, in terms of vocals, but the sm3 is much more lusher and wetter at the same time.
the eq7 isnt quiet comfortable when worn.
the fx700 is the best dynamic iem ive yet heard that is more clearly a winner in details and clarity, but lacks that special ambiance of the sm3s midrange.

whatever iem ive had as a replacement to my past sm3, it seems, ill be going back to this iem again.
something haunts me back to it.

ive had a lot of fun with my sm3 before, and surely, ill experience that back again in this v2.

Jan 24, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #820 of 1,167

Quote:
i had the sm3 before...and did some review with it.
i was really surprise right now that i missed it now after months that its already been owned by the one who bought it from me.
what really makes me missed this is its laidback sound, holographic 3d soundstage, and one of the best vocals out there...
and the advantage that you can wear this during sleep.

those things are kinda rare in an iem.
the ortofon is one of the nicest iem that is really closer to the sm3, in terms of vocals, but the sm3 is much more lusher and wetter at the same time.
the eq7 isnt quiet comfortable when worn.
the fx700 is the best dynamic iem ive yet heard that is more clearly a winner in details and clarity, but lacks that special ambiance of the sm3s midrange.

whatever iem ive had as a replacement to my past sm3, it seems, ill be going back to this iem again.
something haunts me back to it.

ive had a lot of fun with my sm3 before, and surely, ill experience that back again in this v2.

Welcome back! LOL.

For me its been a case of "Once you go SM3, you don't go back". Every IEM I've purchased since the Sm3 in March last year has either gone back on sale or gifted to someone. The only one I've hung on to is the CK10, Oh and the TF10, which I had before all other IEMs.

Jan 24, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #821 of 1,167

Quote:
Welcome back! LOL.

For me its been a case of "Once you go SM3, you don't go back". Every IEM I've purchased since the Sm3 in March last year has either gone back on sale or gifted to someone. The only one I've hung on to is the CK10, Oh and the TF10, which I had before all other IEMs.

Same !

I sold my SM3 V1s thinking that I was missing excitement.. 
I tried the CK100s, UM3X, and the TF10s, only the TF10's remain, and I purchased the V2s and realised what I was missing :p

I think its the transparency, and knowing the sound of the song is how the producer intended it to sound, untainted and raw. 
Sometimes it isn't good though, as songs which aren't produced well sound better on the TF10, but then listening to other songs that were produced well the SM3 owns. Its a chamelean haha

Jan 24, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #822 of 1,167
I'm looking forward to a UM3x, W4 or SM3 for my big jump from low-end, but I'm apprehensive about the SM3 for reading these days people talk a lot about their filters ,some Issue, i think.

can someone explain what is happening with SM3 filters talk.

thx.

Jan 24, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #823 of 1,167
If you're asking about the matter I brought up a few messages before in this thread, well that turned out to be a mis-diagnosis: me getting harsher highs on my SM3 v2 than the highs of my SM3 v1s as I remembered them turned out to be due to virginity of the v2, and not the v1 filters getting dirty in time which led me to think v1s had less treble. Burning in the v2 solved the problem... so no filter problems....

Jan 25, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #824 of 1,167

Quote:
Same !

I sold my SM3 V1s thinking that I was missing excitement.. 
I tried the CK100s, UM3X, and the TF10s, only the TF10's remain, and I purchased the V2s and realised what I was missing :p

I think its the transparency, and knowing the sound of the song is how the producer intended it to sound, untainted and raw. 
Sometimes it isn't good though, as songs which aren't produced well sound better on the TF10, but then listening to other songs that were produced well the SM3 owns. Its a chamelean haha

So very true. That's exactly why i still have the TF10 as some albums sound so crap on the Sm3 (its too honest for its own good, IMO) and only TF10 can 'lie' enough to make it sound fun. The CK10 is still around simply cuz i like it alot and appreciate having an alternate sound sig around.

Quote:
If you're asking about the matter I brought up a few messages before in this thread, well that turned out to be a mis-diagnosis: me getting harsher highs on my SM3 v2 than the highs of my SM3 v1s as I remembered them turned out to be due to virginity of the v2, and not the v1 filters getting dirty in time which led me to think v1s had less treble. Burning in the v2 solved the problem... so no filter problems....

Pheewwww!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back