EarSonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion, & Review Thread - Technically Best Universal? (see first post for reviews and info)
Jun 19, 2010 at 7:40 AM Post #1,247 of 2,831

Quote:
Strange. I thought SE530 has perfectly adequate highs with a good fit. They are indeed rolled off past 15 kHz or so, but what is there is not recessed at all IMO - just natural sounding. And cymbals crashes are mostly in the 6-12 kHz range if I am not mistaken. maybe up to 14 kHz, but beyond that there is not much useful information in most music.

Not in my experience. They lack some treble extension and detail to my ears and this is particularly noticeable with cymbals. The early reports of the SE535 suggest that Shure has redressed this marginal high frequency "roll-off". Someone in the SE535 thread posted a response from Shure to their email enquiry, confirming that they had tweaked the treble and soundstage. 

Jun 19, 2010 at 7:53 AM Post #1,248 of 2,831
I'm getting really annoyed. I need to end up with head-fi. Why ?
I've been looking for a new IEM for two months now. At the beginning i was going to buy the IE8s. But then I decided to ask for opinions and posted on this forum. After getting some replies i felt the urge, to check out some other earphones: JVC FX-700, Sony EX700, Westone 3, as well as their um3x, DDMs, Fischer DBA and many more.
It got more, i'd say, complex after my birthday. I got some cash and now i can afford those SM3s. I bet you'd say "buy&enjoy". But i'm seriously concerned - i wonder if it is sensible to buy such an expensive IEMs as i'm coming from the CX-300s. I'm afraid of not being able to perceive their beauty. What's ... your opinion ? ( oh sweet irony ... )

PS: Does Earsonics ship to Poland ?

Jun 19, 2010 at 8:01 AM Post #1,249 of 2,831

Quote:
I'm getting really annoyed. I need to end up with head-fi. Why ?
I've been looking for a new IEM for two months now. At the beginning i was going to buy the IE8s. But then I decided to ask for opinions and posted on this forum. After getting some replies i felt the urge, to check out some other earphones: JVC FX-700, Sony EX700, Westone 3, as well as their um3x, DDMs, Fischer DBA and many more.
It got more, i'd say, complex after my birthday. I got some cash and now i can afford those SM3s. I bet you'd say "buy&enjoy". But i'm seriously concerned - i wonder if it is sensible to buy such an expensive IEMs as i'm coming from the CX-300s. I'm afraid of not being able to perceive their beauty. What's ... your opinion ? ( oh sweet irony ... )

PS: Does Earsonics ship to Poland ?

All you need is ears and cash. The rest will be plain sailing.

Jun 19, 2010 at 8:16 AM Post #1,250 of 2,831
Inside of mines it seems to have some kind of dust, or it's from the plastic shell? How about yours?
Does anyone here feel that they seem very fragile and cheap? Or it's just me?

(only one or two hours of listening, but either the foam or the silicone ones don't create great confort...ordered the Monster tips to see what they can do)

[don't get me wrong, out-of-the-box they are the best headphones i've ever heard, not so many btw)

Jun 19, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #1,251 of 2,831
Vitor, do you have the recently reshelled version of the SM3 or the earlier one?  No dust in mine at all.

As for cheapness and fragility, yeah I get where you're coming from.  They're very lightweight and demand a lot of gentle respect when handling, thats for sure. I figure they're probably more resiliant than they look, but I'm taking no chances.  Time will tell - they're still pretty new on the market, after all, but Earsonic have been around for years and are very well regarded, so I put my faith in them.

Tipwise, I too sometimes find it tricky to get a perfect seal in my right ear with the stock double flanges, so I ordered and received a couple of packs of Jays single silicones this morning - medium and small. Have only had chance to try the mediums so far but they fit brilliantly and the sound, if anything, seems even better than the Earsonic silicones.  More soundstage and air, without losing any frequencies.

Needs more time for testing though, so take that with a pinch of, um, dust.

Quote:
Inside of mines it seems to have some kind of dust, or it's from the plastic shell? How about yours?
Does anyone here feel that they seem very fragile and cheap? Or it's just me?

(only one or two hours of listening, but either the foam or the silicone ones don't create great confort...ordered the Monster tips to see what they can do)

[don't get me wrong, out-of-the-box they are the best headphones i've ever heard, not so many btw)

Jun 19, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #1,252 of 2,831

Quote:
Vitor, do you have the recently reshelled version of the SM3 or the earlier one?  No dust in mine at all.

As for cheapness and fragility, yeah I get where you're coming from.  They're very lightweight and demand a lot of gentle respect when handling, thats for sure. I figure they're probably more resiliant than they look, but I'm taking no chances.  Time will tell - they're still pretty new on the market, after all, but Earsonic have been around for years and are very well regarded, so I put my faith in them.

Tipwise, I too sometimes find it tricky to get a perfect seal in my right ear with the stock double flanges, so I ordered and received a couple of packs of Jays single silicones this morning - medium and small. Have only had chance to try the mediums so far but they fit brilliantly and the sound, if anything, seems even better than the Earsonic silicones.  More soundstage and air, without losing any frequencies.

Needs more time for testing though, so take that with a pinch of, um, dust.

Cool, glad the JAYS tips are working well for you too. That's exactly what they do for the SM3's sound to my ears as well.

Jun 19, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #1,253 of 2,831
My SM3 is still stuck at the courier centre. The wait is excruciating... Reading this thread makes the waiting feels even longer.

Jun 19, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #1,256 of 2,831

Quote:
Cool, glad the JAYS tips are working well for you too. That's exactly what they do for the SM3's sound to my ears as well.

Hmm, I think I posted too soon - having A/Bd between the small, medium JAYS and the stock double silicones, I'm going to go with the stocks.  They just sharpen the treble sufficiently to render vocals and instruments more realistically than the JAYS, which seem to add a slight layer of fuzz to everything.  I've just got to try the fake Monster triples now (on the way) before I settle with what I should have settled with to start with!  Guess I just need to know I can't squeeze an extra few % out of the SM3s, but its looking like Earsonic know their onions when it comes to tips.  Why they didnt initially include the silicones with the first batches of the phones, I have no idea, but maybe its a learning curve all new iems go through?

Jun 19, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #1,257 of 2,831

See what i mean Bennyboy71?
And yes, this are the reshelled ones, btw because of that the shipping time was an eternity...
I don't know, but yours look like this? i mean, are you able to see those white "glueish" things?
Or am i been too perfectionist?

Jun 19, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #1,259 of 2,831

Quote:
Another question - those SM3s are for fun or rather critical listening ?

They are great for both. That's probably their main strength. Very few 'phones I've heard can achieve this balance. In fact, the SM3 is probably the most balance out of all headphones I've heard and owned so far.

Jun 19, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #1,260 of 2,831
Not sure what you have inside those shells Vitor, but mine look just like koonhua's.  A question - does your left shell have red wiring as well as blue? Cant see any red on yours, whereas mine and koonhua's both correspond. Also: did you get the silicone double flanges with yours? Because I think that marks the reshells from the originals, but I can't say for certain....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back