EarSonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion, & Review Thread - Technically Best Universal? (see first post for reviews and info)
Jun 19, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #1,277 of 2,831

Quote:
That sounds great man, how do they compare? I am eager to know the difference between the two, if it isn't that big, I'll just buy another clip.

I think that if you ignore the cost, storage and physical size differences between the two set ups, then you can't go wrong with either player. The Clip+ drives the SM3 really really well. You won't need any extra bass or volume of an amp, thats for sure, and if anything it has a much 'blacker' backdrop to its sound sig than the Apple, which may be its greatest strength.  I think soundstage may just edge it with the iPod / Arrow combo, but we're only talking fractions here. Otherwise, the only real discernible difference I can tell is that the Clip has a smidgeon more warmth than the iPod when linked to the Arrow through the LO, With the latter, there's a little bit more analytical character to the music, but again its only marginal percentages difference. The iPod Classic (latest gen) headphone out on the other hand is noticeably warmer than the line out, so its horses for courses.

If you're debating whether the Clip will do the SM3 justice, I say go for it - for pocket money price, you'll have a Flac player that sounds awesome when coupled with the SM3, and with the Earsonics being so light and comfortable (best comfort ever of any iem I've tried), you'll be shaking your head in disbelief at just how little you have filling your pocket and ears compared to just how much you have filling your mind and soul. 

Jun 19, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #1,278 of 2,831
Haha really nice write up, appreciate your input, that's a lot of delightful information for my pocket. I will probably be disappointed if I went for the more expensive route. I guess I'll settle on another clip then. Just curious, how much better will SM3 sound from a proper home audio set up?

Jun 19, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #1,279 of 2,831
LOL, thanks Eric. Well unfortunately the Copper's I bought from you are now on the chopping block in the FS forum as I strive to raise the funds. I am hoping I can keep the pair I received from Monster so I can compare them and also because they are bassy fun Copper vs the balanced serious Copper, that way I can have the SM3 balanced goodness and some bass monsters when I want that extra kick :).

Quote:
Depending on tip, bass can get as low as the Copper @ dweaver. But the SM3 doesn't stay there consistently, meaning it the actually recording had lighter bass, you will get lighter bass. If it's like rap with constant subwoofer bass, that's what you get. These IEMs bend to the music rather than making the music bend to them. These are nowhere the size of the the TF10, so fit issues shouldn't be a problem. It's designed to sit and fit like in-ear monitors you see professional musicians wear on stage. You just have to find the right tip for the perfect seal and sound you're seeking. You need a fairly deep seal. These aren't meant to be worn with a shallow seal at all. The double flanges that come with the SM3 will be perfect if you are someone like me who can't really deal with trip flanges. I have, however, found that the large Monster triple flange works for me. And the Ety large gray triple worked too, but I have sliced the tips off to make them a double flange now. One major reason for doing this is because the Ety tip was so narrow. The IEMs require a wide tip hole at the end of the tip for optimal soundstage and sound spectrum performance.

Jun 19, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #1,280 of 2,831
Good luck on your sale @ dweaver...

Jun 19, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #1,282 of 2,831
Well @ Bennyboy and cn11, I'm listening to the SM3 with the large transparent Jays single tips on it. First, I am surprised (and happy) at all firm the Jays feel. I was expecting to be very flimsy for some reason. I like the sound a lot. Haven't determined if the he double stock flanges are better, but right now the sound isn't radically different to me. Plenty of bass, although I'm sure I'll get more bass when I put the Shure olives on. One clear thing about the SM3, it's likes its tips to have a big hole. The bigger the hole the fuller and better the sound. Not all IEMs respond in this manner. Oh I'm listening - for the first time - through my Fiio E7 connected directly to iTunes inside of my Mac. Usually I'm listening through the uDAC. I think I like the E7. It seems to not add as much color to the sound - if any - as the uDAC does, although I still like the uDAC. Going to keep listening. The first single flanges that give me a good seal and nice soundstage while keeping the bass...

Jun 19, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #1,283 of 2,831
index.php

Jun 19, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #1,284 of 2,831

Quote:
Mine shipped the next day too, though this was around a month ago. Also, my tracking number worked too, though the Colissimo website was not providing constant updates like FedEx/UPS tracking. I was able to track from the Colissimo international website as well as USPS. The USPS website however, gave me all the tracking information as soon as it arrived in the U.S. It let me know when it went through customs/left, when it arrived at my local post office, when it was out for delivery, and when it was delivered. I recommend trying to paste the tracking number onto the USPS tracking box on USPS' website.

Thanks alot for that tip man!

I'm in Japan and decided to try it out with the JapanPost,.... works just as well. 

I executed a bank transfer on the 12th from my account in Japan.

It was posted on the 16th, out of france on the 17th. got into osaka japan on the 20th, customs done and it says enroute.

so probably tomorrow :D 

Colissimo sucks, and according to their page the packeage has'nt even left france yet!

so if you are outside France/EU and you buy direct from earsonics then give your local EMS postal service website a try. I think that given how the system works, as soon as you get a tracking number, hit your postal service website, you wont have to wait till it leaves france,.... i dont think.

Jun 19, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #1,285 of 2,831
Enough is enough. Although triple flange is good, I have decided to get custom earmold on my SM3, and delay the plan of getting custom iem till at least one or two years later. Now it's just down to finding a good time to make a trip to the audiology center.

Jun 19, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #1,287 of 2,831
Will the UM56 fit perfectly? It is cheaper isn't it? But since I bought the Sm3, I should support them till the end, shouldn't I?

....even though it's like another $150 there (which is enough for me to get the Radius) 
frown.gif

Jun 19, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #1,288 of 2,831

Quote:
Enough is enough. Although triple flange is good, I have decided to get custom earmold on my SM3, and delay the plan of getting custom iem till at least one or two years later. Now it's just down to finding a good time to make a trip to the audiology center.

Good for you  koonhua buddy. I can't to read your impressions. the audiologist here in Chicago with an exclusive deal with Shure does impressions for $25. I think I'm done spending money on this hobby for awhile now. I bought $28 worth of large Jays transparent and Shure olives. I think I have my cross-seciton of tips that work for me (now I have to cross the Monster hybrids off the list). For me, the stock double flange, and Jays work wonders. Those are both great for decent amounts of bass, nice mids, very nice treble and a wide soundstage. But, just as I expected (had a lot of success with them on the SE530), the large olives give me the best isolation; the deepest richest bass, more forward mids as I like them; and still extends the treble greatly. So these are my favorites right now. I have the E7 and I'm done.

Jun 19, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #1,289 of 2,831
I think the UM56 works. slaters70 uses that on the SM3 I believe. Ask him for definite confirmation for I have neither the UM56 or the SM3.

@eric: I said something similar when I had the CK10 and the e-Q7. I sold the CK10 have the DBA 02 and other stuff..

Jun 19, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #1,290 of 2,831
Well, I am curious to see how comfortable is the custom earmold, as I need to wear it for long hours. And since real custom earphones are quite expensive, I figure it might be better to wait a while before getting one.

Speaking of which, it's been a while since I saw KLS post here. I wonder if he has gotten his SM3 fixed, after it broke for the second time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back