EarSonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion, & Review Thread - Technically Best Universal? (see first post for reviews and info)
Jun 19, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #1,261 of 2,831

Quote:
They are great for both. That's probably their main strength. Very few 'phones I've heard can achieve this balance. In fact, the SM3 is probably the most balance out of all headphones I've heard and owned so far.

Crap. I was going to buy less expensive earphones and pick up the PF's "Oh by the way" CD boxset as well. But now it seems that Pink Floyd will have to wait a bit.
I've just written an e-mail to Earsonics 'cause i don't know if they ship to Poland.

Jun 19, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #1,262 of 2,831

Quote:

Crap. I was going to buy less expensive earphones and pick up the PF's "Oh by the way" CD boxset as well. But now it seems that Pink Floyd will have to wait a bit.
I've just written an e-mail to Earsonics because i don't know if they ship to Poland.

If they don't, you should ask handheld audio (http://www.handheldaudio.co.uk) - not sure if they can deliver to Poland but may be worth a shot...

Jun 19, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #1,263 of 2,831
Quote:
Can you guys help me? T_T
Should i get a refund from my um3x and get an sm3
Or
Just buy a um-56 for the um3x?

I say go with the SM3. I prefer the SM3 over even the ES3X customs, although that is just personal preference of course - not saying that SM3 is better. I just find it more musical than the Westones, which are too cold and analytical to my ears and lack coherency.

Jun 19, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #1,264 of 2,831
What portable setups are you guying using with your SM3s? I just lost my sansa clip+, now using it with my first gen ipod touch, I am thinking to buy something that could unleash the power of SM3 a bit more, and also, what percent of SM3 is unleashed straight from a clip ampless?

Jun 19, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #1,265 of 2,831

Quote:
What portable setups are you guying using with your SM3s? I just lost my sansa clip+, now using it with my first gen ipod touch, I am thinking to buy something that could unleash the power of SM3 a bit more, and also, what percent of SM3 is unleashed straight from a clip ampless?

Not that much I think. SM3 is a seriousily revealing IEM and needs a highly quality source and amp to shine (not powerful, but high quality) IMO. With the Clip it can sound very good, but I think this combo sounds a bit boring. I much prefer the SM3 with my Samsung U2 and with my Sony NWZ-A816.

Jun 19, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #1,266 of 2,831

Quote:

iPod Classic 160gb, via lod into Headstage Arrow amp, or direct into Sansa Clip+.  Works great with both setups.

Jun 19, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #1,267 of 2,831
Yo @  koohua, just picked up the E7 from the post office about an hour ago. Will  give you a report a little later.

@ Chris, I have the Jays (large) and large Shure olives (I liked the olives, but the medium I had wasn't giving me a good enough seal). Will report on those shortly.

Regarding dust or glue type substance. It's glue, and while Earsonics may have slacked a little  bit on the QC department (thanks to this thread I think the company received an onslaught of new business recently during the time of the re-shelling), I think there is no reason for alarm. In one of mine, I see an extra bit of glue of fusing dust (whatever you want to call it. It hasn't affected the glorious sound from what I can tell. Although I don't knock you if you want everything to be perfect at this price. As long as the QC problems aren't glaring, I'm cool with it. I want it to last and I want that sound, my two major concerns. If it needs a little extra glue to do it, sobeit.

@ Bennyboy, actually I have blue and red wires connecting the right driver. I don't know what that means. I'm pretty sure anyone who has gotten the SM3 in the last two weeks or so received the new shelling.

Jun 19, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #1,268 of 2,831

Quote:
Not that much I think. SM3 is a seriousily revealing IEM and needs a highly quality source and amp to shine (not powerful, but high quality) IMO. With the Clip it can sound very good, but I think this combo sounds a bit boring. I much prefer the SM3 with my Samsung U2 and with my Sony NWZ-A816.

Thanks Pianist, so in what way do u prefer them over the clip, could you please elaborate a little?

Jun 19, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #1,270 of 2,831
Very nice Eric. Mine does not have blue wire like yours, I have red wire on the left and bronze cable on the right.

While you have your E7, I am still waiting for it....but the Sflo is more than good enough for now.

Jun 19, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #1,271 of 2,831

Quote:
Thanks Pianist, so in what way do u prefer them over the clip, could you please elaborate a little?

The Clip sounds a bit muddy in the bass and congested. Sony provides cleaner bass and better sense of presence in the high end. The Samsung also provides tighter low end, and also a clearer midrange. Both provide better separation than the Clip.

Jun 19, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #1,272 of 2,831
OK everyone, I have half my funds in place for this purchase and am about ready to sell off some more gear to raise the rest.

So... before I pull the trigger I would like to hear from those who have had tip trouble, how bad is this issue and do you normally have tip issues (I don't want another UE Triple-fi 10 type earphone that sounded good but was way to uncomfortable)? For those getting newer units that come with the silicone tips, are they enough.

For everyone who has owned Monster Turbine Pro Copper's, how is the bass of the SM3 in comparison and more importantly is the midrange of the SM3 more detailed and present than the Copper's. Also for MTPC users, a tip question, has anyone tried using the original style (not the ones filled with gel) tips with any success with the SM3 as this is my favorite tip comfort wise with the MTPC?

I want this to be a final upgrade (at least for a year anyway) for me as I am going to be selling my bought pair of MTPC to help pay for this. I am hoping I will be able to keep my reviewers pair of MTPC as a back up and possible FUN IEM since it is quite a bit bassier and warmer sounding than my original MTPC.

I guess I just want to feel more secure that I won't regret this purchase as if the 85 pages here aren't enough LOL.

Jun 19, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #1,273 of 2,831
Depending on tip, bass can get as low as the Copper @ dweaver. But the SM3 doesn't stay there consistently, meaning it the actually recording had lighter bass, you will get lighter bass. If it's like rap with constant subwoofer bass, that's what you get. These IEMs bend to the music rather than making the music bend to them. These are nowhere the size of the the TF10, so fit issues shouldn't be a problem. It's designed to sit and fit like in-ear monitors you see professional musicians wear on stage. You just have to find the right tip for the perfect seal and sound you're seeking. You need a fairly deep seal. These aren't meant to be worn with a shallow seal at all. The double flanges that come with the SM3 will be perfect if you are someone like me who can't really deal with trip flanges. I have, however, found that the large Monster triple flange works for me. And the Ety large gray triple worked too, but I have sliced the tips off to make them a double flange now. One major reason for doing this is because the Ety tip was so narrow. The IEMs require a wide tip hole at the end of the tip for optimal soundstage and sound spectrum performance.

Quote:
OK everyone, I have half my funds in place for this purchase and am about ready to sell off some more gear to raise the rest.

So... before I pull the trigger I would like to hear from those who have had tip trouble, how bad is this issue and do you normally have tip issues (I don't want another UE Triple-fi 10 type earphone that sounded good but was way to uncomfortable)? For those getting newer units that come with the silicone tips, are they enough.

For everyone who has owned Monster Turbine Pro Copper's, how is the bass of the SM3 in comparison and more importantly is the midrange of the SM3 more detailed and present than the Copper's. Also for MTPC users, a tip question, has anyone tried using the original style (not the ones filled with gel) tips with any success with the SM3 as this is my favorite tip comfort wise with the MTPC?

I want this to be a final upgrade (at least for a year anyway) for me as I am going to be selling my bought pair of MTPC to help pay for this. I am hoping I will be able to keep my reviewers pair of MTPC as a back up and possible FUN IEM since it is quite a bit bassier and warmer sounding than my original MTPC.

I guess I just want to feel more secure that I won't regret this purchase as if the 85 pages here aren't enough LOL.

Jun 19, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #1,274 of 2,831
My SM3 two weeks ago (under 20 hours of burn in):

My SM3 now with the same tips and same source (about 70-80 hours of burn in):

Jun 19, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #1,275 of 2,831

Quote:

Ipod classic 160 gb ,+ line out dock cable to p3+ heron , sounds lovely 
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back