EarSonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion, & Review Thread - Technically Best Universal? (see first post for reviews and info)
Jun 18, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #1,231 of 2,831

Quote:

Quote:

Well there aren't really that many BA based phones that do both of those very well. I haven't heard all the good BA phones but I have heard probably half of the good universals and there really isn't many of them that do cymbals well without EQ.

I agree, BA's are usually better for cymbals but it seems that the fx700's do cymbals better than the 530's which we are discussing here.

Jun 18, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #1,232 of 2,831
Quote:
I also have the SE530 and have to agree that the highs are not natural. I get a proper fit as I use the UM56 custom sleeves. They are recessed and rolled off. The mids are the bread and butter of the SE530. I wonder if the highs in the SE535 have improved.

Strange. I thought SE530 has perfectly adequate highs with a good fit. They are indeed rolled off past 15 kHz or so, but what is there is not recessed at all IMO - just natural sounding. And cymbals crashes are mostly in the 6-12 kHz range if I am not mistaken. maybe up to 14 kHz, but beyond that there is not much useful information in most music.

Jun 18, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #1,233 of 2,831

Quote:
Strange. I thought SE530 has perfectly adequate highs with a good fit. They are indeed rolled off past 15 kHz or so, but what is there is not recessed at all IMO - just natural sounding. And cymbals crashes are mostly in the 6-12 kHz range if I am not mistaken. maybe up to 14 kHz, but beyond that there is not much useful information in most music.

I'm about to become my own worst enemy:

Big dip from 2-6khz, then massive drop from 8-12khz.  Yes, I know graphs aren't everything.....

Jun 18, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #1,234 of 2,831

Quote:

Cymbal crashes can go well beyond 20kHz. The 15kHz roll off means that the cymbal crashes are missing the sparkle, shimmer, and extension that's found naturally. They do sound distant when listening to rock. The drums are more up front but it sounds like the cymbals are set up behind the drummer instead of in front.

Jun 18, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #1,235 of 2,831
mine are "about to leave the country of origin" 
biggrin.gif

just a few more days,.....

Jun 18, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #1,236 of 2,831

Quote:
Cymbal crashes can go well beyond 20kHz. The 15kHz roll off means that the cymbal crashes are missing the sparkle, shimmer, and extension that's found naturally. They do sound distant when listening to rock. The drums are more up front but it sounds like the cymbals are set up behind the drummer instead of in front.

Oh yeah, sure they can go past 20 kHz, but the problem is that most human ears just cannot detect them. From what I've read, most people cannot detect a low pass filter above 14 kHz.

Quote:
Anaxilus said:

Big dip from 2-6khz, then massive drop from 8-12khz.  Yes, I know graphs aren't everything.....

What would you make of =733&graphID[1]=843&graphID[2]=&graphID[3]=&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones]this then? Etys sure aren't lacking treble.

Jun 18, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #1,237 of 2,831
^ Well, I can hear up to 19.5Khz from the sine tone generator test I did. There's not much you can hear when at those high frequencies, but it will add to the whole presentation, atmosphere. You can still feel them, it's just like the case with extra low frequency sub-bass.

Anyway, the Se535 seems interesting enough. 

Jun 18, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #1,238 of 2,831

Quote:
^ Well, I can hear up to 19.5Khz from the sine tone generator test I did. There's not much you can hear when at those high frequencies, but it will add to the whole presentation, atmosphere. You can still feel them, it's just like the case with extra low frequency sub-bass.

Anyway, the Se535 seems interesting enough. 

Just curious - which headphone did you use for the test? I know most BAs including SE530, SM3, Triple.fi, e-Q7, W3, etc do not reproduce frequencies above 17 kHz without severe roll off, so even if your hearing is so exceptional, you won't really benefit from that while listening to those IEMs. And I think many full sized cans as well as speakers also struggle to reach those upper most treble frequencies without rolling off. But yes, I get your point. I also read that even people who can't hear the upper treble can still feel it through their skin, much like the sub bass.

Jun 18, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #1,239 of 2,831
^ I believe I used both my speakers and the FX-700. But since I have not heard almost all of those BA earphones you listed, I can't really say anything. It was just a test to see my hearing limit, not the limits of earphones. And it was not supposed to be an accurate experiment, as I was just fiddling with the tone generator. I was actually quite happy that I could hear all the way up there. 

All the more you should get the SE535, and prove that everyone is wrong, that the new 535 has what it takes to be in the list of best earphones. The problem with it now is the extremely high price. Hopefully it will come down a bit... 
biggrin.gif

Jun 18, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #1,240 of 2,831

Quote:

lol Well, I will have to disagree. In regards to neutrality, the SM3 indeed outclasses the SE530 providing a much better representation of the source and amp it is connected to. It also outclasses the SE530 in treble extension and detail in the treble region. However, in the bass and mids, dynamics, clarity, speed, texture and realism I am really not so sure at all. The SM3 just a has a different, more neutral presentation, but SE530 has a very unique, warm, wonderfully musical signature. It makes certain recordings come to life in way no other headphone I tried could. I think SE530 is already a hi-fi level IEM and at this level, there really is no best - just different. SM3 just offers a different flavor and a few improvements here and there, but overall, it is more of a sidestep from the SE530 than an upgrade.

I like the SE530 myself but do not agree that it dose so many things better than the SM3 ,for instance you say SE530 has better bass, clarity,speed ,realism, No way ,not even on a clear night with a full moon.Do you still have the SE530 to compair or are you going by your  memory of what you think it sounded like on the odd occasion you got a good seal .

Jun 18, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #1,241 of 2,831

Quote:

I like the SE530 myself but do not agree that it dose so many things better than the SM3 ,for instance you say SE530 has better bass, clarity,speed ,realism, No way ,not even on a clear night with a full moon.Do you still have the SE530 to compair or are you going by your  memory of what you think it sounded like on the odd occasion you got a good seal .

Read my post carefully lucozade. I didn't say SE530 is better in those areas, but in the same league IMO.

Jun 19, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #1,242 of 2,831

From that curve I determined that the SE530 needed a +4dB in the treble.  Comparing with the MDR-V6, it is kind of close but it does not compare with the bass and treble extension.  I get a good fit and seal with the olive tips.  I used to use the silicone ones, but with the olive I get a better bass response.

Quote:

Jun 19, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #1,243 of 2,831
Is the isolation of the SM3 as good as that of the UM3X or the SE530?

Jun 19, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #1,245 of 2,831
I really don't like this thread. 

I've convinced myself I deserve an upgrade so I've just bought the DDM.

Reading this thread is like a drug.  The more I read, the more I get hooked.  Luckily I'm in no financial position to purchase the SM3 right now... but oh the temptation...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back