EarSonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion, & Review Thread - Technically Best Universal? (see first post for reviews and info)
Jul 5, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #1,921 of 2,831
This thread has turned very very interesting from page 123ish onwards, I knew someone had to throw a spanner in the works of this iem, I was really hoping it would happen when I didn`t go the extra £100 when I bought my coppers.
What I am surprised about is the IE8 mention which are great iems but do not have the un-veiled detail, detail yes, but clarity, hmm no.
I am also surprised that I now find them even moreso veiled.

dweavers comments are what I am interested by (owns what I do, burnt in using the same files blah).
I have been soo tempted to buy these, almost to the point on "sheesh if I only paid that extra money" but cracks have started to appear, especially with a member selling.

Time to sit tight and await the next new offering which will probably have a thread as long as this.

Jul 5, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #1,922 of 2,831

A member selling doesn't reveal cracks. People sell for various reasons. They need the money because they want to try something else, hard times, or simply it's just not that person's sound sig. But look here, out of the people who have these and say they love this IEM, two people have sold theirs. That's indicative of cracks? Really? Or maybe I misunderstanding something here...
Quote:
This thread has turned very very interesting from page 123ish onwards, I knew someone had to throw a spanner in the works of this iem, I was really hoping it would happen when I didn`t go the extra £100 when I bought my coppers.
What I am surprised about is the IE8 mention which are great iems but do not have the un-veiled detail, detail yes, but clarity, hmm no.
I am also surprised that I now find them even moreso veiled.

dweavers comments are what I am interested by (owns what I do, burnt in using the same files blah).
I have been soo tempted to buy these, almost to the point on "sheesh if I only paid that extra money" but cracks have started to appear, especially with a member selling.

Time to sit tight and await the next new offering which will probably have a thread as long as this.

Jul 5, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #1,923 of 2,831
I don't think selling it reveals cracks. The reason behind the selling is more important than the sale itself. One person sold it after a day which really isn't a fair way to judge any phone. The other person sold it to fund customs which is understandable. As a person looking from the outside (since I don't own them) I have no issues with selling something to fund a custom. Now if in a month everyone or a good enough number start selling the SM3 that would be something different.

Jul 5, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #1,925 of 2,831
Misunderstood Eric, I used that as an example.
If you read my post again basically I was pointing out that for myself paying hard earned money on something that doesn`t warrant the upscale was pretty much what I was getting at.
If these were a giant leap over all iems then yes I would do it.
I am sitting here, as you can see from my sig with an amp which allows you to change sound signatures. I have paid quite alot of money to get the setup.
I can hear as plain as day the difference between sound and even lod`s, let alone iems.
This is where these threads become a little ambigious, there a very little people with exactly the same setup.

Believe me, I wasn`t making a comment belittling these iems.

Jul 5, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #1,926 of 2,831

Okay, Sinth. Sorry that I misunderstood you. That is clearer. I don't know if the SM3 is an upscale or not - in general - within the universal realm. I definitely see it as a complement to my DDM and FX700. It did upscale certain IEMs I had before but are no long in my possession. And in my opinion it's an upscale from the IE8 and Copper, yet those are definitely two capable IEMs worth owning. Happy listening in whatever you decide buddy.
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Misunderstood Eric, I used that as an example.
If you read my post again basically I was pointing out that for myself paying hard earned money on something that doesn`t warrant the upscale was pretty much what I was getting at.
If these were a giant leap over all iems then yes I would do it.
I am sitting here, as you can see from my sig with an amp which allows you to change sound signatures. I have paid quite alot of money to get the setup.
I can hear as plain as day the difference between sound and even lod`s, let alone iems.
This is where these threads become a little ambigious, there a very little people with exactly the same setup.

Believe me, I wasn`t making a comment belittling these iems.

Jul 5, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #1,927 of 2,831
No probs Eric, I have an American wife (PA) and she doesn`t get me either
wink_face.gif

Jul 5, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #1,928 of 2,831
There are quite a few IEMs that have better clarity out of the box than the IE8. But the Senns do improve significantly once you EQ out their upper bass hump. Even then they won't get anywhere near e.g. a CK10, but these have a completely different focus in sound signature. As for the SM3, even though I won't classify them as veiled, IMO they are closer to an EQed IE8 than a CK10.

Quote:
What I am surprised about is the IE8 mention which are great iems but do not have the un-veiled detail, detail yes, but clarity, hmm no. I am also surprised that I now find them even moreso veiled.

Jul 5, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #1,929 of 2,831
Good analysis, James, thanks!

It's exactly what I am hearing... and still I am not sure whether I like it or not (regarding the headstage).

So today I got my tips assortiment (Phonak silicones, westone triflange, shure silicone clear and finally, stock double flange...) and I am a little disappointed, as the best to my ears is still the one I made with the comply core and the head direct biflange. And I paid 15€ for those tips! Ok, now I know that what I hear is what I am supposed to get.
Still not sure whether I am happy or not...The things that bothers me the most is the presentation, as it is the case for you, James.
IE8 and RE-252 let me "breathe", whereas with the SM3, I sometimes feel a little claustrophobic. Not that it is a bad thing per se, but I am not sure to love it yet. And not sure that they are worth the price I paid, too...
Well, we'll see...

Jul 5, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #1,930 of 2,831

Quote:

Hahahahaha.  He has yet to feel the warmth of a woman =)

I've had more hot women than you've had cold dinners mate.  Or is it the other way around? he he

Quote:
Girls.

In a few years, when you become Bennyadolescent71, you'll discover girls.

I'm 38 - I'm Bennyboy for life!

Jul 5, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #1,931 of 2,831
You know the more I read your post it just seems these are just not your sound sig, which is okay if they're not. I hope you don't feel pressure to like them just because so many do. Everything is not for everyone. Tons of people on head-fi love the TF10. It did absolutely nothing for me - except I think it has good bass.

Quote:
Good analysis, James, thanks!

It's exactly what I am hearing... and still I am not sure whether I like it or not (regarding the headstage).

So today I got my tips assortiment (Phonak silicones, westone triflange, shure silicone clear and finally, stock double flange...) and I am a little disappointed, as the best to my ears is still the one I made with the comply core and the head direct biflange. And I paid 15€ for those tips! Ok, now I know that what I hear is what I am supposed to get.
Still not sure whether I am happy or not...The things that bothers me the most is the presentation, as it is the case for you, James.
IE8 and RE-252 let me "breathe", whereas with the SM3, I sometimes feel a little claustrophobic. Not that it is a bad thing per se, but I am not sure to love it yet. And not sure that they are worth the price I paid, too...
Well, we'll see...

Jul 5, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #1,932 of 2,831
Thanks, Eric

Well, I know that the most important thing is that I like them, of course. And they are nice, that's for sure, but I am questionning myself whether they are good enough to justify the investment compared to my other iems I love very much too...and which I already have.

Jul 5, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #1,933 of 2,831

Quote:
Thanks, Eric

Well, I know that the most important thing is that I like them, of course. And they are nice, that's for sure, but I am questionning myself whether they are good enough to justify the investment compared to my other iems I love very much too...and which I already have.

Just a question - what source are you using with the SM3s?

Jul 5, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #1,934 of 2,831
A Cowon D2+, an Iaudio i7 (sound about the same as your J3
wink_face.gif
) and a Sansa Clip+.
Just to make things clear: those sound awesome, but so do my other iems (IE8 and RE-252). The issue I have has nothing to do with the sound sig, but more with the presentation.
But I admit that they offer something other iems simply don't. So I'm not sure wheter I will keep them, but I certainly will for a good while before taking my decision.

Jul 5, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #1,935 of 2,831

Quote:
A Cowon D2+, an Iaudio i7 (sound about the same as your J3
wink_face.gif
) and a Sansa Clip+.
Just to make things clear: those sound awesome, but so do my other iems (IE8 and RE-252). The issue I have has nothing to do with the sound sig, but more with the presentation.
But I admit that they offer something other iems simply don't. So I'm not sure wheter I will keep them, but I certainly will for a good while before taking my decision.

Ok, fair enough. I've got a Clip+ as well, and was listening to it earlier when my J3 battery ran out of juice.  It's pretty rubbish, despite what all the afficianados say - good for the money, but dire next to the Cowon magic.

Anyway, how about you pick a well known song (one we can try ourselves easily enough would be good) and describe what you hear with the SM3, IE8 and RE252s?  That might help clarify what it is you're not grooving to about the Earsonics...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back