EarSonics SM3: A Thorough Review
Jun 1, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #31 of 52

Quote:

That's how I feel. His choice of words are the type of descriptions that I would use to characterize a type of IEM that I would consider and put on my list. 

Like you said I will wait out on other members impressions before getting too serious about purchasing.
Isn't there a delay in order to replace the casing? I haven't kept up much with the SM3 appreciation thread but I think I read that the new housing could cause a slight change in treble? Or am I pulling that from something else. Either way if I wanted to buy it I would still have to wait. So this'll give me some time to think about it. Plus the only feasible way I could obtain a pair is to sell of my MTPCs which I would need extremely strong convincing from the MTPC -> SM3 converter's camp (there's a few of them, which is why I'm even considering these; there must be something to them) on the tangible improvements from one to the other. 

I have confirmed with Franck, it won't change the sound. They just reshell all their SM3 in stock, by using an improved formula for better ultrasonic welding.

Jun 2, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #33 of 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal. /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's how I feel. His choice of words are the type of descriptions that I would use to characterize a type of IEM that I would consider and put on my list. 

Like you said I will wait out on other members impressions before getting too serious about purchasing.
Isn't there a delay in order to replace the casing? I haven't kept up much with the SM3 appreciation thread but I think I read that the new housing could cause a slight change in treble? Or am I pulling that from something else. Either way if I wanted to buy it I would still have to wait. So this'll give me some time to think about it. Plus the only feasible way I could obtain a pair is to sell of my MTPCs which I would need extremely strong convincing from the MTPC -> SM3 converter's camp (there's a few of them, which is why I'm even considering these; there must be something to them) on the tangible improvements from one to the other. 

My SM3 vs. Copper comparison is here, along with my updated notes of the Copper vs. the SM3.

Quote:
Must Resist Buying More IEMS.........

Just sell the IEMs you got and buy these, you won't miss the other IEMs
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 2, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #35 of 52
One more day (or two) before my review goes public. I have a hard time finding real faults with the SM3. Again, my favourite feature may actually be how linear the sound is from an iPod, or from an iPod/amp combo. Sure, the latter has more sparkle, but the SM3/iPod alone is about as good a combination as I've heard. 

iPod shuffle, iPod touch, Sansa Fuze, AMP3 Pro (hiss and some resolution problems), S:Flo2 - everything is pretty damn good - well on the way to being perfect audiophile. Love the laid back sig - works great with almost any sort of EQ. 

Jun 2, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #36 of 52

Quote:
One more day (or two) before my review goes public. I have a hard time finding real faults with the SM3. Again, my favourite feature may actually be how linear the sound is from an iPod, or from an iPod/amp combo. Sure, the latter has more sparkle, but the SM3/iPod alone is about as good a combination as I've heard. 

iPod shuffle, iPod touch, Sansa Fuze, AMP3 Pro (hiss and some resolution problems), S:Flo2 - everything is pretty damn good - well on the way to being perfect audiophile. Love the laid back sig - works great with almost any sort of EQ. 

So by that you mean the SM3 improves quite a bit with proper amping?

Jun 2, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #37 of 52
I don't mean quite a bit, I mean a bit. Properly volume matched, the difference is small, but when plugging into an amp, enjoying the package, and intently listening, that difference can seem more, especially before properly volume matching. I have used and loved amps since .... long ago, but to tell you the truth, a properly engineered earphone will NOT improve that much with one; sometimes, it will not improve at all. The SM3 sounds GREAT from almost anything, but it will improve a little with an amp. 

The SM2, on the other hand, was a beast to drive - something Earsonics have fixed with their next gen. The SM3 is also smoother, so in some ways, more audiophile. I can't say other than the driving power between the two that I have a definite favourite. They are both amazing. 

Jun 2, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #39 of 52

Quote:
I don't mean quite a bit, I mean a bit. Properly volume matched, the difference is small, but when plugging into an amp, enjoying the package, and intently listening, that difference can seem more, especially before properly volume matching. I have used and loved amps since .... long ago, but to tell you the truth, a properly engineered earphone will NOT improve that much with one; sometimes, it will not improve at all. The SM3 sounds GREAT from almost anything, but it will improve a little with an amp. 

The SM2, on the other hand, was a beast to drive - something Earsonics have fixed with their next gen. The SM3 is also smoother, so in some ways, more audiophile. I can't say other than the driving power between the two that I have a definite favourite. They are both amazing. 

Thanks for posting that, as it seems that my X1060 is driving the SM3's very well and if I'm not going to see much, if any, improvement with an amp, I'll probably stay as I am.

Jun 3, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #41 of 52
ok.. im sold....
time to sorry about my wallet...
frown.gif

Jun 6, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #42 of 52
Comparing it with Westone 3, Which one is better..? SM3 or Westone 3..? I like listening to a rock music, I like much drum, and a moderate bass.. Which one is better for me..?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back