***Earbud Guide - 22 Earbuds compared***
Aug 16, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #286 of 611

Quote:
I am a huge fan of his, I idolize him for his work as he guides me to most of my high end purchases often...however in this case he is very wrong.  The mx980 sounds nothing like the Pk1 and they are not on the same level, not even close.  The Mx980 is neutral, powerful, smooth and has a load more bass with a massive soundstage.  The pk1 is snappy, colored, bass light and has an average earbud soundstage.  

Great! I'll try to get a pair of the Sennheiser MX980s. Do you know where I can get them cheapest?

Aug 16, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #287 of 611
Aug 16, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #288 of 611
Aug 18, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #289 of 611
Received my MX 580 today. All I can say is WOW! They are so much better than the AKG. Fit is perfect for my ears, better highs, much much better mids, the K317 sound so veiled in comparison. Bass needs some EQ'ing, but is quite alright for me. These are not for bassheads, but I'm very happy. Let's see what the BEB can do, but I think I found my buds for more than just daily bike rides. :)

Aug 18, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #290 of 611

Quote:
Received my MX 580 today. All I can say is WOW! They are so much better than the AKG. Fit is perfect for my ears, better highs, much much better mids, the K317 sound so veiled in comparison. Bass needs some EQ'ing, but is quite alright for me. These are not for bassheads, but I'm very happy. Let's see what the BEB can do, but I think I found my buds for more than just daily bike rides. :)

i'll be interested in how they compare to the beb's.. I have a pair of those and the PK3's atm. 

Aug 18, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #292 of 611

Quote:
I think the mx580 is noticeably better in every way than the BeBs, but thats just me what do i know :p

glad you enjoy them!

welp, I just deduced that I do find the BeB's slightly better than the PK3's. Kind of alarming given the price difference.. I wish I could find a pair that sounded this good or better (ala mx580) with better build quality.. Can you think of a earbud that is on par with these, but actually built in a way that I'm not nervous to use them? I don't like the idea of the thin cable or in line volume control on the mx580's.. But, I will pick up a pair once one of these breaks (bound to happen with this build quality).

Aug 19, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #297 of 611
I just received my Sennheiser MX980s. I turned the Senn's included foam pads into Yuin style donut pads. Very immediate impression is extremely positive. It's less congested than the Yuin PK1s and has much stronger bass. Putting on the Yuin PK1s, I just nod my head in disappointment for having paid so much for it. The MX980s sounds closer to a bigger headphone while the Yuins just sound tiny. I also find them very comfortable. I guess my ears are just meant for earbuds.

Aug 19, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #298 of 611
So I decided to try to compare the PK1s to the MX980s on my Anedio D1 DAC. Both earbuds sound a bit congested on my Cowon J3 but the Anedio helps relieve most of it. Separation, bass response, treble extension, and neutrality are all areas the MX980s trump the PK1s. The Yuins go for $155 on Head-direct and Senns are $159.99 on RazorDog on Ebay. Wow, I can't believe I didn't hear the Sennheisers first. Neither of the earbuds reach the level of detail the full-sized headphones I use for reference, ATH W11R and Stax O2 mk1, but they're not that far. Only the most subtle details can be differentiated and not substantially enough to make any difference to enjoyment unless you like to split hairs.

Swbf2cheater has an excellent review and conclusion for sure!

However, I have to say the Yuin PK1s are pretty durable. I've thrown them around, stepped on them, sat on them, tugged them, spun the drivers around when I think, and hit the drivers on concrete, yet they have survived for 3 years. Two PK3s broke within a week under my abuse though. I hope the Sennheisers are just as durable as they look.

FWIW, I'll rate my ear buds as:
Sennheiser MX980 >>>>> Yuin PK1=Yuin OK1 > Sony Extra Bass ear buds=Yuin PK3

etysmile.gif

Thanks again for the review! Maybe I might pick up an ATH CM707 if I get bored or something.

Aug 19, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #300 of 611

Users who are viewing this thread

Back